TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

So, in that scenario, someone hacked into her gmail account. However, the crime was obviously planned to be at her home so...was this stranger hacked into both her own gmail account and to SB's? Because it seems more relevant to track when SB left.

BTW, it's not real time tracking that shows up within the Google-verse. AFAIK, LE has to contact/subpoena the records from Google.

I've tried many times to see what can be found out about me, if you are inside my main google account - and even I can't see where I've been. Nor can I see my own search history - not inside Google, anyway. So I personally don't think much of use can be gleaned by hacking someone's email.

IOW, it's not "my gmail account" that has all my location data - but the corporation's servers. Would love to know more about this - but a quick search doesn't give me any more info about how to know where I have been in the past week, month or years. If that were the case, people would be constantly snooping on their family members. I do use google maps and I do have location services turned on. My spouse can find this information only in real time - by the last ping of my cell phone, not every thing I do all day. We share an account. I can see that his phone is in our house right now - and that's it. And that's using the FindMy app on Apple - not on Google. Google information tells me nothing about where either one of us are. This is why air tags are popular - everyone I know uses Apple air tags but I suppose Android has it too - but unless one is an Android user, there's no location data in gmail.

Do we know what type of phone SG and EB had?

IMO.
Yes you can see all of that info in a google account. Go to my account, maps, timeline. Gmail and all google services a person uses share the same password.

I’m starting to narrow my suspects to a small handful of people. I’m also starting to lean into the idea that the same person behind her murder was also behind the burglary and the shooting at work. I know, that doesn’t help much. Just thinking out loud.

Ohhhh!!!!!

The 3 point turn question.

Does Texas have license plates in the front and back of vehicles? If yes, this contradicts what I’m thinking, but, I also suspect the vehicle may been borrowed on a whim with an excuse, either knowingly borrowed or not. Not all states have front and back license plate requirements.

Perhaps the 3 point was to avoid a camera seeing the license plate in the back.

Drive in, see side, back out, only facing forward is seen.
Probably already answered: catching up on the thread
Texas requires front and back license plates
Registration stickers are on the driver's side windshield
Toll Road stickers are under the dash mirror

Hoping toll roads come into play. If you enter a toll road without a tag a picture is taken of the vehicle.

This has always interested me because he didn’t leave at his usual time
That day, according to him and his neighbors. So the killer just “got lucky” that he wasn’t there.
Very very Lucky LIz was home as well.

The garage sale wasn't broadcast and normally, Barraza would not have been home at that time, 6:50 a.m.: in link

I’m starting to narrow my suspects to a small handful of people. I’m also starting to lean into the idea that the same person behind her murder was also behind the burglary and the shooting at work. I know, that doesn’t help much. Just thinking out loud.
I agree. But it means, sometimes more serious than some cosplay squabbles.

What I have wondered about him mentioning her is that he didn’t mention her at all in the Paula zahn show. He brought up his dad and according to the dash cam and police reports, he didn’t bring him up at all.

In my state, I have come across many men of Sergio's type. And, one can't always judge them from "conventional" standpoint. They may get exceptionally upset when a partner/friend doesn't answer the phone, and at the same time, for example, not cry at the funeral, and it doesn't indicate any guilt. Some, the smarter ones, may get dangerous as they have unbelievable logical ability, but I am not at all sure that S is in that group. The inconsistencies are normal for humans, it is what your mind focuses on during the conversation.

So, about S. The only thing that would dramatically raise the suspicion for me would be any hint of a side relationship (or looking for one) when he was married to Liz. Or, increasing amount of arguments before her death. But, I don't know if these things existed. If not, he is in exactly the same "47% of women are killed by intimate partner, but 53% are not" group.

Fast remarriage and moving on with a child might indicate that he is not a very strong person and more a follower in his relationships, and his current wife was ready to move on with the new family. The fact that he stayed in the house he shared with Liz for a while might mean: a) either knowing that he wasn't a target, or, b) are we sure that he was really sleeping in the house? Maybe he stayed with dad/friends, trying to organize many things at once? (But sleeping in the house alone would be a concern - many people move out to escape memories).

What really bothers me is that because SB's emotional reaction was "not quite conventional", too much time/energy was spent chasing his alibi, and someone truly culpable might have slipped through the fingers.

Of the two, LB seems to have been more organized and social. How many people were in cosplay, but she rapidly grew through the ranks. She was respected at work. She was active. At the same time, and I can only guess, but she comes across as a smart woman who is not too prone to oversharing. This might have eventually worked against her. But - she has had many circles, her family, her husband, her job, that Legion, friends, past life, something else. It all needs to be gone through with a fine-tooth comb. I am positive that the shooting was not random. But, given how busy the police was during these years (possibly, dwindled in numbers), her murder stays unsolved. And after all, I think, there may be a slight chance of another serial killer at loose, or a "grievance collector" from her past so there is this, too.

It’s been stated that Liz was a cautious person, an extremely cautious person. It's been noted that she would keep her car parked in the garage with doors locked and then pull out of the garage and the interior doors would stay locked prior to backing out of the garage.

See Bonus footage: Begins right before the 28:00 mark

However, the morning of the garage sale, Liz leaves her home from the front door, not the garage. Liz’s vehicle is already outside, parked in the driveway. Liz gets in to her car, sits there for about a minute and drives to Starbucks. Once she returns from Starbucks, she parks her car on the street, walks up to the house, makes a funny face at the Nest camera. Does this look like someone who is afraid?

She did not appear afraid.

Interesting that but not a deal breaker, Liz’s hair changed from a ponytail to hair pulled up in a bun.

S helps her set up the heavier items (table, treadmill?) and leaves the house for Lowes.

After the coffee trip, not even an hour later Liz is killed.

Here is how I would interpret it.

1) either Liz had something/someone to be scared of, and it might have been from her old past (when was the apartment burglarized?), or, she did get threats or had some reason to be afraid. All is true.

2) it would seem to me that L@S did not have much money, but L. was a good planner. Yard sales indicate people being really good at managing their property and not being wasteful. And what would improve the mood and make a person less anxious? Well, the potential of a good sale. So maybe, just maybe, Liz got a great offer, a call the day before, for something she was going to sell. Or perhaps someone asked her to resell for them? Perhaps a customer made an agreement to show up early? That could explain lack of usual cautiousness, and selling early and alone, without S, mom or dad. (We all like money]. I think that Liz did have a conversation with someone, was waiting for that customer, and her playful mood after the coffee trip, and lack of usual cautiousness were due to her anticipation of a good sale.

Maybe her reaction to that car pulling and an unexpected customer was irritation that someone would intervene with a good sale? I don't see apprehension in her reaction, I see certain disgruntlement. As if she was waiting for someone else. I think S. was aware of the situation, and that's why he left. Not to ruin the sale.

The notation by Corporal Hight (the second unit on scene). Arrin Stoner

“I was advised by neighbors (that the victim Elizabeth Barrows) had children and possibly a mother or mother-in-law living in the home”.

We know Liz had no children but you can read it differently as a mother-in-law staying there with kids (perhaps grandkids). Are there other family members that are in from out of town w/ kids?

Neighbors is plural so more than one neighbor stated this.

The notation has always niggled at me. It would change the dynamics of the case and the investigation in so many ways.

We know there were martial issues between Sergio’s dad and his mom from Paula Zahn. I leave this open to her staying there. Imagine all you could learn about camera angles, the neighborhood, etc. if there were people in and out of their house. The source for Paula Zahn is linked below on the www.whokilledlizbarraza page.

It has taken almost 5 years for Sergio to tell the media his mother knew about the garage sale. Why? In the dash/body cam video, she is brought up by Sergio. He tells the officer “ I don't want to blame her (LIZ) but I told her to get my mom to help”.

Last edited:
Very very Lucky LIz was home as well.
We don't really know where the car was between the 2 AM move (caught driving by the house) and the attack (~6.45).

Just one scenario of many possible ones: They may have been waiting somewhere for Liz's car to drive by. It did not. (neither did S's, if they were scouting at a location that they both would pass) The person gets confused/agitated/whatever and decides to check out where she is. We don't know what they did in the school parking lot nor the other undisclosed parking location. Maybe they had some remote access to check either 1) the house 2) Liz's phone location 3) S's phone location or/and 4) their work attendance. Maybe not. But then they see S leave and this must mean that Liz is home, either alone or with someone other than S (and probably someone less of a threat than the husband). So they approach the home. Maybe that's why they first drive by the house - they were not sure what was going on. Then spotted her outside alone and decided to attack before more people turn up.

The notation by Corporal Hight (the second unit on scene). Arrin Stoner

“I was advised by neighbors (that the victim Elizabeth Barrows) had children and possibly a mother or mother-in-law living in the home”.

We know Liz had no children but you can read it differently as a mother-in-law staying there with kids (perhaps grandkids). Are there other family members that are in from out of town w/ kids?

Neighbors is plural so more than one neighbor stated this.

The notation has always niggled at me. It would change the dynamics of the case and the investigation in so many ways.

We know there were martial issues between Sergio’s dad and his mom from Paula Zahn. I leave this open to her staying there. Imagine all you could learn about camera angles, the neighborhood, etc. if there were people in and out of their house. The source for Paula Zahn is linked below on the www.whokilledlizbarraza page.

It has taken almost 5 years for Sergio to tell the media his mother knew about the garage sale. Why? In the dash/body cam video, she is brought up by Sergio. He tells the officer “ I don't want to blame her (LIZ) but I told her to get my mom to help”.

“Kids” could be grandkids, or MIL could be earning money by babysitting. There might be many understandable reasons for S not to tell it to the public or media, usually the public condemns too fast and the media is sensationalizing. But whose kids were in the house would be interesting to know. Imagine they are watched by the GM/babysitter and then they can be the source of information about Bs in their own house, or inadvertently leak something to their friends. The situation when "you know about the house but not the house" fits the behavior of the car at night.

Yes you can see all of that info in a google account. Go to my account, maps, timeline. Gmail and all google services a person uses share the same password.

Well, I'm not an Android user - so I can't see anything remotely related to my phone data on my (many) Google accounts.

I DO allow Google to use my browser history "for a better experience," but no location services, and Google does not have my phone number nor can it track it (but I do have iCloud enabled on my phone - which is easy to turn off if I wish to).

If I go to maps/timeline, I get only my saved places on Google map (which I have allowed using the "allow sharing of data while using Google map app). There is no timeline. There is no real time data in my Google account at all. I think it was set up that way by default when I got the accounts - because my 7 or so accounts are all the same way. And none has my phone number (not landline, not cell, not work).

Obviously, I also use different accounts for different purposes. One is for signing into Apple only (but doesn't have any phone data). One is for work. One is for general use. One is for personal use (friends and family). And so on. None of them has any real time or location data - and only ONE of those accounts is linked to Google maps (and I am often signed out of any Google account when using Google maps on my iPad - sometimes I'm signed into my husband's account when using iPad Google maps, because that's how we do our travel planning - and he too uses a different address for that than we do just for general Google maps use).

So, if someone did have Liz's password for her Google account, and she had an Android phone, and she had it set up to show real time location - yes, she could have been tracked. OTOH, it was really obvious that she was at home the night before and that morning, just by driving by, IMO. Every time we sign into a Google account, Google knows which device we used to do that - it would be a huge risk for a criminal to take and if that had happened, I believe LE would have nabbed such a person or at least questioned them extensively - it would be very hard for a stranger to explain what they were doing, using Liz's Gmail account. Only a close family member would have the password, IMO and their personal device would be expected. Random person? Nope, that would be too easy to catch.

IMO.

Well, I'm not an Android user - so I can't see anything remotely related to my phone data on my (many) Google accounts.

I DO allow Google to use my browser history "for a better experience," but no location services, and Google does not have my phone number nor can it track it (but I do have iCloud enabled on my phone - which is easy to turn off if I wish to).

If I go to maps/timeline, I get only my saved places on Google map (which I have allowed using the "allow sharing of data while using Google map app). There is no timeline. There is no real time data in my Google account at all. I think it was set up that way by default when I got the accounts - because my 7 or so accounts are all the same way. And none has my phone number (not landline, not cell, not work).

Obviously, I also use different accounts for different purposes. One is for signing into Apple only (but doesn't have any phone data). One is for work. One is for general use. One is for personal use (friends and family). And so on. None of them has any real time or location data - and only ONE of those accounts is linked to Google maps (and I am often signed out of any Google account when using Google maps on my iPad - sometimes I'm signed into my husband's account when using iPad Google maps, because that's how we do our travel planning - and he too uses a different address for that than we do just for general Google maps use).

So, if someone did have Liz's password for her Google account, and she had an Android phone, and she had it set up to show real time location - yes, she could have been tracked. OTOH, it was really obvious that she was at home the night before and that morning, just by driving by, IMO. Every time we sign into a Google account, Google knows which device we used to do that - it would be a huge risk for a criminal to take and if that had happened, I believe LE would have nabbed such a person or at least questioned them extensively - it would be very hard for a stranger to explain what they were doing, using Liz's Gmail account. Only a close family member would have the password, IMO and their personal device would be expected. Random person? Nope, that would be too easy to catch.

IMO.
My original statement I had assumed we were talking android. But I agree that it would be known to Liz if someone was signing in to her account.

I am finally watching the summary on the incident reports after putting it off due to personal dislikes.
I have not read them, but had already heard that only 3 of the 4 shots actually hit her - and also that it might be a mistake. But what surprised me at the moment was how different the locations of the two (three?) hits (before the final face-one) actually are. This and previous impressions from the video by people who know more about guns and shooting than I do, now I really don't think this person was a very experienced shooter, at least not with this particular gun. From the incident report:
three gunshout wounds: one to the face, one to the side of the head and one in the chest area.

Last edited:
It’s been stated that Liz was a cautious person, an extremely cautious person. It's been noted that she would keep her car parked in the garage with doors locked and then pull out of the garage and the interior doors would stay locked prior to backing out of the garage.

See Bonus footage: Begins right before the 28:00 mark

However, the morning of the garage sale, Liz leaves her home from the front door, not the garage. Liz’s vehicle is already outside, parked in the driveway. Liz gets in to her car, sits there for about a minute and drives to Starbucks. Once she returns from Starbucks, she parks her car on the street, walks up to the house, makes a funny face at the Nest camera. Does this look like someone who is afraid?

She did not appear afraid.

Interesting that but not a deal breaker, Liz’s hair changed from a ponytail to hair pulled up in a bun.

S helps her set up the heavier items (table, treadmill?) and leaves the house for Lowes.

After the coffee trip, not even an hour later Liz is killed.

Good catch on the differences that day. I wonder if she parked the car on the street so that she could have easier access to the garage door? I think Sergio and Liz’s mom mentioned she left it unlocked in case of an emergency or need to run away.

I noticed Sergio seemed a little nervous or worried about leaving her alone too. I think I recall from the Ring cam he double checked that she left the garage door unlocked and if she sure she would be okay on her own. She sounded excited and confident that she would be as she reassured him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susierosie
Back