GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens daily, since this Country began, people with connections and $$ get preferred treatment through our own judicial system. Disgusting, but true.

This boy should be in jail, like the rest of us would, for 4 counts of manslaughter. 4 innocent lives taken by a spoiled child. Any of us would be in jail, not rehab.

Rehab will not help him. He will continue to abuse and use the rest of his life.

I realize that rich get preferential treatment. But this is just so blatant. His defense witness arguing the kid got "affluenza," and the judge agreeing to a fancy treatment program (which vast majority of people could never afford). It makes me sick.

FOUR PEOPLE died. FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep telling myself not to check back in on this thread, but at the same time I am so curious if this will truly "stick". I hope there is tremendous outrage and backlash and this will have to be reconsidered.

Four people. four!

I realize that rich get preferential treatment. But this is just so blatant. His defense witness arguing the kid got "affluenza," and the judge agreeing to a fancy treatment program (which vast majority of people could never afford). It makes me sick.

I agree the foundation for the ruling is ludicrous. I have no idea if anything can be done about it, and do hope that this ruling does not impact any future cases. We have seen some very strange ruling from Judges on WS over the years, that is certain!

I agree the foundation for the ruling is ludicrous. I have no idea if anything can be done about it, and do hope that this ruling does not impact any future cases. We have seen some very strange ruling from Judges on WS over the years, that is certain!

If there's a public outcry over it can't it be overturned?
It seems Judges are taking bribes and not making wise decisions.

Why haven't the parents of the do-no-wrong offspring been charged with supplying liquor to minors? Maybe the people who file civil suits can include that feature in their suits. No doubt they will.

One of the truly sad and tragic things about 'incidents' such as this, beyond the obvious losses of life, and the maimed or paralyzed for life cases, are all the innocent people who will lose their jobs when the father's very successful business will probably go out of business after all the lawsuits are settled.

I guess, with that in mind, its probably good for the father to buy the half million dollar therapy for the son while he still has a half million to spend.

Alcohol was stolen, not provided by parents.

"There was no debate about who was behind the wheel last June, when Couch plowed into and killed four people. Couch has admitted to being the driver, and court records show his blood alcohol level was .24 at the time of the crash, three times the legal limit for an adult. Prosecutors also presented evidence that Couch and some friends stole beer from a Burleson Walmart on June 15, the night of the crash. After consuming the alcohol, Couch and seven others got back into his pickup to go to another store. During the trip, he hit four pedestrians, killing them. Two teens riding in Couch’s pickup were thrown from the truck and severely injured."
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

what happened to taking responsibility for what we think and do and are? It is always someone else's fault, some extenuating circumstances. makes me crazy that this word RESPONSIBILITY seems to have no place in our culture anymore. Ending my rant here, but the outrage lives on. FOUR PEOPLE DIED AND THE KID'S BAC was at least 3 times the legal limit.

and 8 people in a pickup truck? #$*(?!

I have to stay away from this thread.

what happened to taking responsibility for what we think and do and are? It is always someone else's fault, some extenuating circumstances. makes me crazy that this word RESPONSIBILITY seems to have no place in our culture anymore. Ending my rant here, but the outrage lives on. FOUR PEOPLE DIED AND THE KID'S BAC was at least 3 times the legal limit.

I agree. I think he should have gotten time also.

Neighter have I.
Affluenza, indeed.

Affluenza,is this the illness that causes high fever,body aches and a warped sense of entitlement?There should be a shot for that.

Alcohol was stolen, not provided by parents.
Snipped...

Both things occured, its in the article I posted previously. More than one young person testified that alcohol was readily available at the youth's home. In addition, several youth stole alcohol from Walmart's that night.

OMG the poor families of those victims who have to live without their loved ones AND know that this kid is going to walk free. Four people killed and one left so severely injured that they will never recover enough to live any kind of a normal life.

Unreal.

Found an article about that same judge sentencing a 14 year old to 10 years in juvenile jail
for killing a person with a punch (person fell and hit his head, and then died). So apparently she doesn't have a problem with sentencing juveniles to actual jail time when they kill someone.
Unless, of course, these poor juveniles suffer from "affluenza."

"FORT WORTH — A 14-year-old Fort Worth boy has been sentenced to 10 years in a juvenile jail for killing a stranger with a single unprovoked punch."

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onli...-sentenced-10-years-deadly-punch#.UqkYt34o5Ms

I don't know. You would have to ask the judge that. I don't agree with this ruling. I just don't believe he made it because this kids family may have money.

I have to disagree. I don't think that a poor, drunk kid would have been sent o a treatment facility.

Affluenza,is this the illness that causes high fever,body aches and a warped sense of entitlement?There should be a shot for that.

I've never heard of an "Affluenza" defense but I'm sure we will be hearing about more defenses using this in the future. I call bull manure on this judge.:twocents:

and 8 people in a pickup truck? #$*(?!

I have to stay away from this thread.

I am surprised that there were not more fatalities considering some were thrown out of the truck.

For comparison purposes, here is an article describing the unprovoked fatal assault by the over 6 foot tall 14 year old boy on the 5'1", 106 lb., 40 year old man:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/11/01/3492362/teenager-held-in-fatal-assault.html

As JJenny pointed out and linked to above, this case was tried by the same judge as in this more privileged case of the do-no-wrong drunken youthful offender who wiped out and forever ended the lives of 4 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels