TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifteen years after drowning her five children in the bathtub of her suburban Houston home, Andrea Yates lives a reclusive life in a Texas mental health facility and frequently watches videos of her children laughing and playing, sources close to Yates tell PEOPLE.

http://www.people.com/article/andrea-yates-drown-five-children-mental-health-facility-texas

I remember this case like it was yesterday. My heart breaks for this poor woman. What a tragic miscarriage of justice and ignorance. She was profoundly mentally ill. Her husband was nothing more than a Duggar-esque "proliferate and create a Christian army" creep. I wish she hadn't been so isolated by their backwards religious paranoia. He should have been charged as an accessory and sterilized. She was in no position to be cognizant of her actions. That deep into mental illness, she had no chance of exerting any of her free will. Besides, she'd been conditioned for years that her job was to lay back and spread her legs. That's the Quiverfull (Duggar) way. Her care was neglected every step of the way. So much more is known and understood now about PPD and Postpartum Psychosis that I wonder if things would have been handled more rationally and humanely if this had happened today. Although I maintain that enough was known about it at the time of the deaths that this case never should have resulted in a conviction. I hope she has been able to find some measure of peace in her life. Those poor children.

It's Texas. Not a lot has changed including people's opinions. This situation could have been avoided and that makes it doubly tragic.

ETA: The trial and the verdict may have eased some people along in their understanding. And maybe the young people are more likely to understand now. I just don't know. It's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname