TX TX - Houston, WhtFem 20-30, 92UFTX, crude tattoos on hands, clothes, plaid skirt in purse, Mar'83

Did some color adjustment per your comments.

2e6abbbc-66f9-43d1-95ca-f8f5f22965f8.jpg

Perfect :D The color adjustment took care of the apparent sagginess, which I hadn't noticed in the earlier version either.
-

Just browsing for another UID and came across a couple that might fit this one. No mention of tattoos.

Teresa Byers- NamUs MP#8813- Her picture is at a different angle, but she appears to have a fairly prominent chin, can't tell anything about nose. Last seen in Kilgore, TX 1979.

Teresa Davis- Namus MP#14223- Disappeared from Washington in 73. No reason to suspect she couldn't travel to Texas in 10 years.

My money is on her being an undocumented visitor to Houston. OR a "chola" (Hispanic gangster moll, is the short description of that word.) The tats are very typical street gang type tats. Her hair & facial features look mestizo (person with at least partial indigenous Mexican descent.)

BTW my mother was a Mexican immigrant to the US in the 70s and she spoke very disdainfully about the "chola" women of her generation (she was a very conservative Catholic, was a professional & college student at that time.) The tats on this woman indicate she did not care about judgements about her lifestyle whether those judgements came from people in her immediate circle or the rest of society. I also feel that is why no one has looked for this woman- she was probably running with people "on the margins" and they would not bother to contact authorities.

My money is on her being an undocumented visitor to Houston. OR a "chola" (Hispanic gangster moll, is the short description of that word.) The tats are very typical street gang type tats. Her hair & facial features look mestizo (person with at least partial indigenous Mexican descent.)

I agree, she looks indigenous to me. The tattoos also suggest she was "chola" since not many women freely tattooed their hands back in the early 80s.

definitely not this woman. She continued to have children into the late 1990's. I wonder if she has any idea there was a missing persons page in her name.

Nombre: CAMACHO AYALA MARIA ELENA
Fecha de Nacimiento: 23/09/1961
Estatura: 165 cms.
Peso (Kg.): 75
Complexión: MEDIANA
Tez: MORENA CLARA
Cara: REDONDA MEDIANA
Ojos: GRANDES REDONDOS CAFÉ OBSCURO
Cabello: NORMAL CASTAÑO OBSCURO LACIO MEDIANO
Boca: MEDIANA
Naríz: REDONDA ANCHA MEDIANA
Frente: AMPLIA
Cejas: SEMIPOBLADAS HACIA ABAJO CASTAÑO
Labios: ROJOS MEDIANOS
Mentón: REDONDO MEDIANO
Fecha de Extravío: 06/01/1980
Lugar: TLANALAPA HIDALGO
Hechos: DESAPARECIO HACE APROXIMADAMENTE 27 AÑOS, EN AQUEL TIEMPO TENIA ENTRE 15 Y 16 AÑOS, DESAPARECION CON SU HIJO EN BRAZOS DE NOMBRE ANGEL BLADIMIR. LA ULTIMA VEZ QUE SE SUPO DE ELLA FUE HACE 19 AÑOS APROXIMADOS. LO ULTIMO QUE SE SUPO ES QUE ESTABA RADICANDO EN HOUSTO TEXAS, ESTABA CASADA Y YA TENIA HIJOS DE NOMBRE LAURA, SERGIO Y CARMEN QUE ACTUALMENTE DEBE DE TENER 24 AÑOS (FECHA DE NACIMIENTO 14 DE ABRIL DE 1984). SEGUN SE SABE SE HABIA CAMBIADO DE NOMBRE DE MARIA ELENA CAMACHO AYALA A YOEL. EN LA ULTIMA CARTA QUE ENVIO, DECIA QUE VIVIA EN UN BARRIO DE GENTE NEGRA EN HOUSTON Y QUE TENIA UNA CICATRIZ EN EL CUELLO.
Señas Partículares: DESAPARECIO APROXIMADAMENTE 27 AÑOS, SALIO DEL LUGAR DE ORIGEN A LA EDAD DE 15-16 AÑOS CON UN HIJO EN BRAZOS DE NOMBRE ANGEL BLADIMIR HACIA HOUSTON TX

Name: CAMACHO MARIA ELENA AYALA
Date of Birth : 23-Sep-1961
Height: 165 cm (5 feet 5 inches).
Weight (75 kg) : 165 lbs
Build: MEDIUM
Complexion : LIGHT BROWN
Face: MEDIUM ROUND
Eyes: BIG ROUND DARK BROWN
Hair: NORMAL STRAIGHT MEDIUM DARK BROWN
Mouth : MEDIUM
Nose : ROUND MEDIUM WIDE
Forehead: LARGE
Eyebrows: MODERATELY THICK DOWN BROWN
Lips: RED MEDIUM
Chin: MEDIUM ROUND
Date Last Seen : 06-Jan-1980

Facts: She Disappeared approximately 27 years ago. At that time she was between 15 and 16 years old. She disappeared with her child Angel Vlademir in her arms. The last time she was known to be alive was about 19 years ago. Her last known location was in Houston TX. She was married and had children named Laura, Sergio, and Carmen, who currently must be 24 years old (DOB April 14, 1984). According to what is known, they had changed their name to Maria Elena Ayala, and Joel Camacho. The last letter received from her, indicated that she lived in a black neighborhood in Houston, and had a scar on her neck.

Distinguishing characteristics: Disappeared about 27 years ago, came to the location at the age of 15-16 years old carrying a child named Angel Vlademir - HOUSTON TX.

definitely not this woman. She continued to have children into the late 1990's. I wonder if she has any idea there was a missing persons page in her name.

Nombre: CAMACHO AYALA MARIA ELENA
Fecha de Nacimiento: 23/09/1961
Estatura: 165 cms.
Peso (Kg.): 75
Complexión: MEDIANA
Tez: MORENA CLARA
Cara: REDONDA MEDIANA
Ojos: GRANDES REDONDOS CAFÉ OBSCURO
Cabello: NORMAL CASTAÑO OBSCURO LACIO MEDIANO
Boca: MEDIANA
Naríz: REDONDA ANCHA MEDIANA
Frente: AMPLIA
Cejas: SEMIPOBLADAS HACIA ABAJO CASTAÑO
Labios: ROJOS MEDIANOS
Mentón: REDONDO MEDIANO
Fecha de Extravío: 06/01/1980
Lugar: TLANALAPA HIDALGO
Hechos: DESAPARECIO HACE APROXIMADAMENTE 27 AÑOS, EN AQUEL TIEMPO TENIA ENTRE 15 Y 16 AÑOS, DESAPARECION CON SU HIJO EN BRAZOS DE NOMBRE ANGEL BLADIMIR. LA ULTIMA VEZ QUE SE SUPO DE ELLA FUE HACE 19 AÑOS APROXIMADOS. LO ULTIMO QUE SE SUPO ES QUE ESTABA RADICANDO EN HOUSTO TEXAS, ESTABA CASADA Y YA TENIA HIJOS DE NOMBRE LAURA, SERGIO Y CARMEN QUE ACTUALMENTE DEBE DE TENER 24 AÑOS (FECHA DE NACIMIENTO 14 DE ABRIL DE 1984). SEGUN SE SABE SE HABIA CAMBIADO DE NOMBRE DE MARIA ELENA CAMACHO AYALA A YOEL. EN LA ULTIMA CARTA QUE ENVIO, DECIA QUE VIVIA EN UN BARRIO DE GENTE NEGRA EN HOUSTON Y QUE TENIA UNA CICATRIZ EN EL CUELLO.
Señas Partículares: DESAPARECIO APROXIMADAMENTE 27 AÑOS, SALIO DEL LUGAR DE ORIGEN A LA EDAD DE 15-16 AÑOS CON UN HIJO EN BRAZOS DE NOMBRE ANGEL BLADIMIR HACIA HOUSTON TX

Name: CAMACHO MARIA ELENA AYALA
Date of Birth : 23-Sep-1961
Height: 165 cm (5 feet 5 inches).
Weight (75 kg) : 165 lbs
Build: MEDIUM
Complexion : LIGHT BROWN
Face: MEDIUM ROUND
Eyes: BIG ROUND DARK BROWN
Hair: NORMAL STRAIGHT MEDIUM DARK BROWN
Mouth : MEDIUM
Nose : ROUND MEDIUM WIDE
Forehead: LARGE
Eyebrows: MODERATELY THICK DOWN BROWN
Lips: RED MEDIUM
Chin: MEDIUM ROUND
Date Last Seen : 06-Jan-1980

Facts: She Disappeared approximately 27 years ago. At that time she was between 15 and 16 years old. She disappeared with her child Angel Vlademir in her arms. The last time she was known to be alive was about 19 years ago. Her last known location was in Houston TX. She was married and had children named Laura, Sergio, and Carmen, who currently must be 24 years old (DOB April 14, 1984). According to what is known, they had changed their name to Maria Elena Ayala, and Joel Camacho. The last letter received from her, indicated that she lived in a black neighborhood in Houston, and had a scar on her neck.

Distinguishing characteristics: Disappeared about 27 years ago, came to the location at the age of 15-16 years old carrying a child named Angel Vlademir - HOUSTON TX.

92UFTX - Unidentified Female
1B2E20DA-C9CE-4099-96AF-5102A237AC7F.jpegDDF765D5-B8B0-4BFB-AE25-0CCA0E1E0FAD.jpeg
Reconstructions of the decedent and tattoos by Lois Gibson. To view a postmortem photograph, please click here.
Date of Discovery: March 1, 1983
Location of Discovery: Harris County, Texas
Estimated Date of Death: Same day
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Auto pedestrian accident

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-30 years old
Race: Hispanic and/or Asian
Sex: Female
Height: 5'6" to 5'8"
Weight: 120 to 130 lbs.
Hair: Black, about 5" long
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Several tattoos. Small "C" on right shoulder; cross with dots around it on outside of right arm near wrist; the letter "P" with dots around it on left arm near wrist; The letter "N" or "Z" on the web of the left thumb; dots on fingers.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Green, short-sleeved, pullover shirt; blue jeans; green socks; a pink bra and white tennis shoes.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Beige purse with comb and miscellaneous papers; plaid skirt inside purse.

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was located on 7500 Katy Freeway in Houston, TX following a moter vehicle versus pedestrian accident.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences
Agency Contact Person: Sharon Derrick
Agency Phone Number: 713-796-6774 or 713-796-6858
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: ML83-1339

Agency Name: Texas Department of Public Safety
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 512-424-5074
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: U9207018

NCIC Case Number: U584860295
NamUs Case Number: 4590

Information Source(s)
NamUs
TXDPS
Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences

Admin Notes
Added: Prior to 2001; Last Updated: 8/21/18

NamUs #UP4590
74425482-BF18-4180-8F10-D2FC0D539F0B.jpeg
Tattoos of left hand and forearm.
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): 22-28
Estimated Height: 5' 7" (67 inches)
Estimated Weight: 126 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown

Tattoos

- upper right arm
- right forearm
- right hand
- left forearm
- left hand

Clothing and Accessories
- short sleeve pullover shirt
- blue jeans
- green socks
- pink bra
- white tennis shoes
- beige purse
- comb

Circumstances of Recovery: Decedent found on 7500 block of Katy Freeway
GPS Coordinates: 29.783988N , -95.461868W

1 Missing Person Exclusion:
MP8652 Tamera McCurry 1982 Galveston
TX

Unidentified Wiki Mary 1983
0A402479-D432-4EB4-870A-BAFC869ABED4.jpeg
Recon by Carl Koppelman
Physical characteristics
- She had black hair about five inches long.
- She had brown eyes.
- She had multiple tattoos.
- "C" on her left shoulder.
- "P" with dots near her left wrist.
- A cross with dots near her right wrist.
- "N" or "Z" near her left thumb.
- Dots on the fingers.

Clothing and personal items
- She wore a green pullover with short sleeves.
- Blue jeans
- Green socks
- White shoes
- Beige purse
- Pink bra
- A comb
- "Miscellaneous" papers

- A plaid shirt inside of the purse.

Just my two cents here...

The "N" on her thumb could be a sign of affiliation with the Nortenos of Northern California, originating in the late 1960s in San Quentin. Their counterpart, the Mexican Mafia or "La Eme" had claim over the southern portion of the state. The Norteno gang was typically prison-based but allied with the Nuestra Familia gang. Primary income seems to come from smuggling and distributing cocaine, heroin and meth. Houston is unfortunately popular as a hub for distribution as well as a common thruway for those traveling along I-10.

The four dots on the left fingers could be interpreted as a more discreet version of ACAB knuckle/finger tattoos meaning "All Cops Are Bastards" in many groups.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like the tattoo on top of her hand could be an hourglass with a single dot above it which could be interpreted like clock tattoos, cobweb tattoos, etc. that signify doing time in jail/prison. But, again, it's very difficult to determine just what the tattoo is from the recons.

Edited to Add: A single dot near, but not in line with, four dots can represent "14" which is another commonly used reference for the Nortenos, symbolizing the 14th letter of the alphabet, N. I also wonder if the P on her wrist/forearm could be for "la pandillera" which is the feminine form of pandillero or gang member. I don't know how often the term is used in Mexico or Mexican-American gangs, though.

Doing more digging, but I feel like the tattoos could definitely point in the direction of at least a loose gang affiliation or a desire to be perceived as someone who's in that lifestyle.

Last edited:
I've run across other UIDs with that double triangle/closed-end X but I hadn't thought that it might be an hourglass. Good thought.

I've run across other UIDs with that double triangle/closed-end X but I hadn't thought that it might be an hourglass. Good thought.

If you google "stick and poke glyphs" it is said to be the symbol for "self reflection".
But that is 2021 and it may have had an entirely different meaning for a young Hispanic woman with a difficult life in the 1980s.

I wonder if the "C" on her shoulder is the first letter of her name. And I am almost certain, she was not "Mary". Maybe Maria or really "C".

I wonder if the "C" on her shoulder is the first letter of her name. And I am almost certain, she was not "Mary". Maybe Maria or really "C".

I wonder if it could be the last initial? I know having your last name (in some form) in a tattoo is commonplace for guys, but I’m not sure if it would be something a female would do, especially in the 80s. Could be a child’s initial or partner’s, also. I agree with your thoughts on her name being Mary. Maria, Marisol, Maricruz...so many Spanish-origin names that could be simplified to “Mary”.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back