TX TX - Jared Chavis, 19, Houston, 12 Jan 2018

Hmmm.... at 19 years old, he certainly did not complete his enlistment.

I am not very familiar with military regulation, but could you receive an honorable discharge from US military merely a few weeks after enlistment ? Would the military allow you to leave after such a short time? The only possibilities I can think about is that he failed to meet physical fitness standard or he involved in some kind of troubles

I did a few google search, if the information provided from the gone cold podcast episode Jared Chavis, Episode 1 | gone cold podcast was correct, Jared Chavis was discharged from air force only a few weeks of enlistment, then the most he could receive would be "Entry Level Separation" (ELS), which means an individual leaves the military before completing at least 180 days of service, in many case, service of less than 180 days may prevent some people from being classified as a veteran for state and federal military benifit

In the fall of 2017, 19-year-old Jared Chavis had just finished 10 months in the Air Force, and had only been in Houston for a few months when he vanished. On January 12, 2018, at 10:39 p.m., witnesses saw Jared get into a black Ford Fusion in the 8800 block of Westheimer Road in Houston, Texas.

Jared Chavis is described as being 5’7” and weighing 160 lbs., with brown eyes and black hair. Jared has the following tattoos: on his upper left arm, the words “Helen Welch,” his grandmother’s name, inside of praying hands with the date she died; on his right tricep, the letter “J”; on his left tricep, the letter “C”; on his inner right forearm, the quote “NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME SHALL PROSPER.” He was last seen wearing jeans, a red hoodie, white t-shirt, denim vest and orange LeBron James tennis shoes.

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

jared_chavis_f8964790ba1c4b125fc1445e3ff9f2ea.fit-760w.png

DEC 5, 2022
Jared Chavis

jared_chavis.jpg

In the fall of 2017, 19-year-old Jared Chavis had just finished 10 months in the Air Force, and had only been in Houston, Texas for a few months when he vanished. On January 12, 2018, at 10:39 p.m. witnesses saw Jared get into a black Ford Fusion in the 8800 block of Westheimer Road in Houston, according to a press release from Crime Stoppers of Houston. “While [Jared] was riding in the backseat of a black Ford Fusion driven by the suspect, a verbal disagreement occurred and gunshots were fired,” the release states. “According to a witness, Jared Chavis never exited the vehicle and has not been seen since.”Jared is described as being 5’7” and weighing 160 lbs., with brown eyes and black hair. Jared has the following tattoos: on his upper left arm, the words “Helen Welch,” his grandmother’s name, inside of praying hands with the date she died; on his right tricep, the letter “J”; on his left tricep, the letter “C”; on his inner right forearm, the quote “NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME SHALL PROSPER.” He was last seen wearing jeans, a red hoodie, white t-shirt, denim vest and orange LeBron James tennis shoes. According to Houston Crime Stoppers Deputy Director Nichole Christoph, there is a reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to the charging and/or arrest of the suspect(s) responsible for any foul play leading to Jared’s disappearance. If you have any information, please call the Houston Police Department Missing Persons Unit at (832) 394-1840.

Feb 16, 2022

• chavis_jared.jpg
  • chavis_jared2.jpg
  • chavis_jared3.jpg
  • chavis_jared4.jpg
  • chavis_jared5.jpg

• Missing Since 01/12/2018
  • Missing From Houston, Texas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Black
  • Date of Birth 01/22/1998 (25)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 160 - 185 pounds

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A red hooded sweatshirt, a denim vest, a white t-shirt, jeans and orange LeBron James sneakers with white soles and an orange Nike swoosh. A photo of a similar shoe is posted with this case summary.

• Associated Vehicle(s) Black Ford Fusion

• Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Chavis has several tattoos, including praying hands with a date and the name "Helen Welch" on his upper left arm, the initials "JW" on his left tricep, the letter C on the inside of his right forearm, and the phrase "No Weapon Formed Against Me Shall Prosper" on his left forearm.

Details of Disappearance​

Chavis was last seen in the 8800 block of Westheimer Road in Houston, Texas late on the evening of January 12, 2018. He was in the backseat of a black Ford Fusion driven by a male acquaintance known as "Bolt Suave", when there was an argument and shots were fired.

Chavis was never seen exiting the vehicle, never returned home and has never been heard from again. His car was later found unlocked and abandoned at a nearby gated apartment complex, with the seat covers missing.

Chavis is originally from Franklin, Louisiana; he had moved to Houston only a few months prior to his disappearance and was living with a cousin. He had a job as a satellite dish installer and was taking online college courses in information technology. Chavis has a son who was born a few months after his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Houston Police Department 832-394-1872

Source Information​

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 27, 2019; two pictures and date of birth added, clothing/jewelry description updated.

Trying to piece together Jared’s disappearance was frustrating for his father, Willie Smith. These circumstances paint a grim picture, leaving Jared’s family fearing the worst. Their quest for truth faces challenges, including conflicting accounts from Jared’s acquaintances and the family’s feeling that law enforcement has been reluctant rather than actively pursuing the case.

After conflicting reports from Jared’s friends, it was later explained to Willie that the car had reportedly been involved in a robbery and that’s why Jared might be missing. Willie believes Jared wouldn’t intentionally abandon his car, especially after police told his family Jared was supposedly on the run.

“If he was on the run, why would he leave his car? He probably would’ve come back to Louisiana,” Willie explained. “I’m always saying, he would’ve told his mama. Jared would’ve called his mama and told her what was going on.”

Two weeks later, Jared’s credit card was used at a store. Willie attempted to obtain surveillance footage but was unsuccessful. By the time police attempted to get the footage a month later, it had already been erased.

After initially treating the case with skepticism, HPD eventually classified it as a homicide.

“What made me so upset with them is how much information I was able to get and relay back to them. I was getting information myself to relay back to what was going on like one of the suspects that was involved I found out where he was staying and that he had moved back to Austin,” Willie shared. “At that time, I was becoming a hazard to myself because I didn’t know what I would’ve done to those guys at the time. (HPD) told me to let them do their job. But if they had jumped on the credit card situation and found out who had been using the card, that would have been a big help.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhoule
Back