TX TX - Julie Fuller, 11, Arlington, 27 June 1983

This is a case that is close to my heart-I was ten years old when this happened and actually lived a few miles away. Not just that, but I also have spent time near and around the hotel. And I can agree with the investigator's quote of 'not turning your back' in that neighborhood. As a teenager I once stayed in the hotel directly across the road...it was pretty scary to say the least. However, recently I noticed on the facebook site for Julie that a poster said that his parents ran the hotel across the street and that there was a handyman there who looked exactly like this DNA pic. He also said this handyman was arrested, then shipped to Ohio and convicted on similar charges. I searched forever, and actually found Julie's brother and gave him all this information. He was very happy and was going to call the police. This was a few weeks back. I truly hope this can be solved...it just seems that these people deserve and need closure to this, and by closure I mean proper consequence for the punk-disgusting human who did this to Julie.

I was 11 and living in Arlington at that time, too. My parents must have done a good job at shielding me from the news as I'd never heard about Julie's murder until a few years ago and I was all up into the crime and murder stuff even then. Thanks for the great post and for passing along that info, chrisnope.

Last year, Fort Worth police worked with a company that used DNA from the scene to create a photo-realistic sketch. That same DNA sample led to a positive identification.
P_JULIE-FULLER-COLD-CASE-9P_00.00.55.24.jpg

It’s the first time ever Fort Worth police have been able to use this sort of genetic testing to solve a crime. They feel it can solve more of their most gruesome cases.

Police believe James Francis McNichols is Julie’s murderer. However, he won't be brought to justice for her death since he died in 2004.

“I would have preferred him to be held responsible for what he did,” said Fort Worth Police Det. Thomas O’Brien.

P_JULIE-FULLER-COLD-CASE-9P_00.00.23.19.jpg

Julie's brother, Lee Fuller was only two years older than her.

"Honestly, we're glad he's dead,” Lee said in a phone interview with FOX 4.

“I always kind of would beat myself up that maybe I should have been paying more attention and maybe not so into myself,” Lee said. “The fact that I allowed my little sister to just wander off like that… I mean, she was just taking out the trash.”
P_JULIE-FULLER-COLD-CASE-9P_00.01.10.22.jpg

“I feel very certain this case would never have been solved,” O’Brien said. “Especially with him being dead, there would have been no other way to have solved this case.”

“Just the thought of him and my parents, especially having for them to go through that of facing the guy, I think would just be horrific,” he said.

“I didn’t believe it,” he said. “I didn’t believe we were ever going to get to this.”

Det. O'Brien says McNichols lived in the Fort Worth area around the time of the murder. While he had a criminal past, he was never on the FBI's radar and his DNA was never in a database.
DNA helps solve Fort Worth 11-year-old’s murder nearly 40 years later

Last year, Fort Worth police worked with a company that used DNA from the scene to create a photo-realistic sketch. That same DNA sample led to a positive identification.
P_JULIE-FULLER-COLD-CASE-9P_00.00.55.24.jpg

It’s the first time ever Fort Worth police have been able to use this sort of genetic testing to solve a crime. They feel it can solve more of their most gruesome cases.

Police believe James Francis McNichols is Julie’s murderer. However, he won't be brought to justice for her death since he died in 2004.

“I would have preferred him to be held responsible for what he did,” said Fort Worth Police Det. Thomas O’Brien.

P_JULIE-FULLER-COLD-CASE-9P_00.00.23.19.jpg

Julie's brother, Lee Fuller was only two years older than her.

"Honestly, we're glad he's dead,” Lee said in a phone interview with FOX 4.

“I always kind of would beat myself up that maybe I should have been paying more attention and maybe not so into myself,” Lee said. “The fact that I allowed my little sister to just wander off like that… I mean, she was just taking out the trash.”
P_JULIE-FULLER-COLD-CASE-9P_00.01.10.22.jpg

“I feel very certain this case would never have been solved,” O’Brien said. “Especially with him being dead, there would have been no other way to have solved this case.”

“Just the thought of him and my parents, especially having for them to go through that of facing the guy, I think would just be horrific,” he said.

“I didn’t believe it,” he said. “I didn’t believe we were ever going to get to this.”

Det. O'Brien says McNichols lived in the Fort Worth area around the time of the murder. While he had a criminal past, he was never on the FBI's radar and his DNA was never in a database.
DNA helps solve Fort Worth 11-year-old’s murder nearly 40 years later

I am glad the case has been solved it is just a terrible shame it took 40 years and the monster is dead. It must be an absolute nightmare for a victim’s family when this happens to never get justice. I fear this happening in Abigail and Liberty’s case.

The case went cold. Until last December, when CeCe put the details into a genetic genealogy database and found a relative of Julie’s killer had a profile.

Police contacted the relative and discovered the monster was McNichols. He had lived in the area at the time of Julie’s death.

For Julie’s brother Lee, solving the case ended a 36-year search.

He had never stopped looking for his sister’s killer.

CeCe said: “It lifts a huge burden off the shoulders of murder victims’ families to finally find out.

“Big tough detectives often break down and cry when I identify the suspect in a cold case. It’s such a relief after so many years.

And for every killer I identify I help to clear the names of hundreds who have suffered under the burden of suspicion and had their lives tormented by accusations and gossip.”

But self-taught genealogist CeCe, who has no policing background, said: “It’s never a truly happy ending. I can’t undo the damage done or bring a victim back from the grave.”

How world's first genetic detective caught British girl's killer after 36 years

just would like to say Thank you
as you know her killer has been found and can give her family some peace, same he is dead but i hope he suffered.
It would of been her birthday a few days ago, we will never forget her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back