GUILTY TX - Kala Golden-Schuchardt, 28, Spring, 17 April 2012

Verna McClain pled “not guilty” at her arraignment but ‘not by reason of insanity’ it seems even though her court-appointed attorney, E. Tay Bond, said that a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity was certainly something they would be visiting.

Although it was reported that McClain’s trial would begin on October 8th, it hasn’t.

After Ms. McClain miscarried, she sent tweets to her fiancé saying she was suffering from post-partum depression and having suicidal ideations so doesn’t this show she wasn’t in her right mind when she snatched Keegan from his mother in the parking lot? And not only was Ms. McClain suffering from post partum depression and having thoughts of suicide, she had just lost a child she desperately wanted so she would have been grieving the loss of her child in addition to PPD. Most of the women who suffer from PPD do not loose their child like Ms. McClain did. Verna McClain acknowledged in her tweets that she was mentally unstable after she miscarried, so this could be why she does not want people to think she is a monster. Here are the tweets VM sent her fiance Kevin.

<snipped>

"I love you so much you will see us tomorrow ok i promise im [sp] depressed and everything crying very emotional i dont [sp] want everyone to see me like this."

Another text said: "Im [sp] ok babe just feel like a big a... baby today even had my gun out no bs so my mind frame is totally off."

A third text read: "Sorry if your [sp] mad i understand ok but this is the first time ive [sp] had post partum depression and it sucks."

"The text messages absolutely indicated that this lady needed some help and she was mentally and psychologically, totally unstable," said Quanell X.

strategyhttp://www.khou.com/home/Pediatric-Suspect-Text-Messages-149579325.html

The prosecution now claim they will be seeking the death penalty even though one of the things they have to prove is future dangerousness. &#8220;When you have an isolated incident with somebody who has no prior criminal history, it is very difficult to prove that that person would be a future danger," Bond said.

So did McClain&#8217;s defense attorneys listen to George Parnhams who advised them to immediately have Verna McClain&#8217;s mental status assessed by a forensic psychiatrist? George Parnhams once represented Andrea Yates, the mentally ill mother who drowned her own children, and after analyzing Ms. McClain&#8217;s statements, he said McClain&#8217;s own words provide insight into her state of mind so why did the defense team agree to dig into their client's past when they can prove she was and likely still is mentally ill right in front of them? Verna&#8217;s mother said her daughter was taking medication for her heart not to treat her depression, mental illness, and paranoia so it doesn't seem like her attorneys sought psychiatric help for their client after she was incarcerated because the psychiatrist would have prescribed medication for her.

Parnhams and Quanell X agreed that she wasn&#8217;t in her right mind and suffering from DDP after she miscarried which ultimately means she is not criminally responsible and guilty for the crime she committed.

Parnhams did concede that proving a case of mental illness or even postpartum depression is difficult in Texas. "Especially in cases that involve the loss of life. It&#8217;s an uphill battle." but shouldn&#8217;t McClain&#8217;s attorneys, who are hired to represent their client, at least try?

Jackson said doesn&#8217;t believe her daughter should die for what she did because of her state of mind at the time. &#8220;I don&#8217;t believe Verna&#8217;s guilty. There&#8217;s laws that constitute people like Verna not being guilty,&#8221; Jackson said.

McClain&#8217;s court appointed attorneys said they are working as hard as they can on the case but if they don&#8217;t pursue an insanity defense for their client how will she get a fair trail?

http://www.khou.com/home/Mother-of-...ing-baby-doubts-trial-fairness-173823581.html

http://www.khou.com/home/Mentally-I...f-shooting-woman-stealing-baby-149437115.html

I have been looking for news on this case but haven't found any. McClain was indicted for capital murder in June 2012 and the prosecutors announced they will be seeking the death penalty. McClain's trial was scheduled to begin on October 8, 2012 and due to the lack of media coverage, it hasn't. I sent an inquiry to one of the media outlets asking why her trial was delayed.

I have been looking for news on this case but haven't found any. McClain was indicted for capital murder in June 2012 and the prosecutors announced they will be seeking the death penalty. McClain's trial was scheduled to begin on October 8, 2012 and due to the lack of media coverage, it hasn't. I sent an inquiry to one of the media outlets asking why her trial was delayed.

Thanks, I just googled this case yesterday because I hadn't heard anything on it in awhile. It got such heavy coverage in the beginning. I hope justice will be served and it will be swift in coming!

Some sort of pre-trial hearing is scheduled for May 15th.

COURT DATE: 05.15.13
COURT TIME: 9:00A
HEARING: PRE-TRIAL

http://www.mctx.org/dclerk/Kiosk/UNIDATADETAIL.ASP?Type=CRIMINAL&Cause=12-04-04203-CR

I don't know about Texas, but in California death penalty cases can take up to 5 years to come to trial.

Thank you for bringing us up to-speed on this case.

A pre-trial hearing is a judicial session held for the purpose of deciding issues of fact or of law, sometimes with witnesses testifying before the trial begins.

In civil and criminal cases in the State of Texas, there may be one or more pretrial hearings.

At some point before the trial, the prosecution announces its intention to seek the death penalty if the defendant is found guilty. In this case, the prosecutors announced their intention to seek the death penalty.

This brief article explains the purpose of a pretrial court appearance in the State of Texas.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6913732_purpose-county-pretrial-court-appearance_.html

:yourock:

Verna McClain pleads to killing mom, taking baby; sentenced to life in prison

KHOU - Houston, TX

Posted on November 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Updated today at 6:06 PM

Vernamcalain+.JPG

CONROE, Texas -- A Houston woman charged with killing a mother and abducting her newborn son last year is avoiding a possible death sentence by pleading guilty and accepting a sentence of life without parole.

Verna McClain entered the plea Tuesday at a court hearing in Conroe.

Snipped:

Five generations of Golden-Schuchardt&#8217;s family filed into a Montgomery County courtroom Tuesday to hear McClain plead guilty to capitol murder. The terms of the agreement: no appeals. No parole.

Read more and view video:

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Hous...-sentenced-to-life-in-prison---232544041.html

Verna McClain pleads to killing mom, taking baby

The Courier of Montgomery County
Conroe, TX

Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Associated Press |

A Houston woman accused of killing a mother and abducting her newborn son last year avoided a possible death sentence by pleading guilty Tuesday and accepting a sentence of life without parole.

Verna McClain was awaiting trial on a capital murder charge for the April 2012 fatal shooting of 28-year-old Kala Golden-Schuchardt. Authorities say McClain ambushed the new mother outside a pediatric clinic in the Houston suburb of Spring and snatched her 3-day-old son, Keegan, after shooting her.

Snipped:

Her defense team also included George Parnham, the lead attorney for Andrea Yates, the suburban Houston woman charged with drowning her five children in 2001. Yates’ capital murder conviction was overturned on appeal. In 2006, she was found not guilty by reason of insanity and sent to a mental hospital.

Parnham and Moncriffe said they did not pursue a similar defense for McClain, calling it a “hard sell” in part because they could find no evidence of insanity and no history of mental illness.

Ligon said McClain was a common criminal and not someone who had suffered a mental breakdown

Read more:

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cour...cle_da4c4872-0bda-568b-83ae-6ef5948b0339.html

I really wish they would end plea deals for murders.She deserves the death penalty for what she did.She was sane enough to know to hide the baby with her sister.So sick of these monsters being allowed to live.If this was my family member no way in hello would I agree to a plea deal! She brutally killed this woman whose dying thoughts were about her baby being stolen and not being able to protect him,how horrible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back