TX TX- Kelle Fernstrom, 24, Houston, 1 Sep 1983

It's possible her husband was originally from Illinois. There are very few Fernstroms in Texas, but plenty of them in Illinois. It's frustrating finding nothing on Kelle, since we can't openly sleuth her family here.
I hope someone who knew her (or knows the circumstances of her disappearance) will come and tell us more about Kelle someday.

MOO.

Family is indicated in FamilySearch, a brother and others. It is a Nordic/Scandinavian name.

You've probably checked, there is a RootsWeb message board for the Fernstrom surname with -- wait for it -- 3 threads, 10 posts total. Do you think there aren't many Fernstroms, Fernstroms have complete family histories already, or Fernstroms aren't curious & don't marry curious people?

I do appreciate our TOS here at WS and want to stay within the limits.

And -- @Mrs. Badcrumble noticed the Vidor decedent a few years back, she was discussed alongside Walker County Jane Doe IIRC.

Family is indicated in FamilySearch, a brother and others. It is a Nordic/Scandinavian name.

You've probably checked, there is a RootsWeb message board for the Fernstrom surname with -- wait for it -- 3 threads, 10 posts total. Do you think there aren't many Fernstroms, Fernstroms have complete family histories already, or Fernstroms aren't curious & don't marry curious people?

I do appreciate our TOS here at WS and want to stay within the limits.

And -- @Mrs. Badcrumble noticed the Vidor decedent a few years back, she was discussed alongside Walker County Jane Doe IIRC.

Probably a combination of it not being a very common name in the US and perhaps if there are any family genealogists they might keep their trees private. I also have a personal theory that some families are less interested in genealogy because they suspect there are negative stories in their family that they would rather not be revealed. If a murder is suspected, for example, family members may discourage anyone who shows interest in researching genealogy. MOO.

Probably a combination of it not being a very common name in the US and perhaps if there are any family genealogists they might keep their trees private. I also have a personal theory that some families are less interested in genealogy because they suspect there are negative stories in their family that they would rather not be revealed. If a murder is suspected, for example, family members may discourage anyone who shows interest in researching genealogy. MOO.

BBM

Another LOL step-mother story. Knowing that I do genealogy, she asked me to try to find her brother, who left a party in the 60's and hasn't contacted the family since.

Well, after I posted in the usual places asking about him, I learned that he left a house all right -- but the party was over, the house was on fire, and there was a deceased person inside!

Oh, yes, step-mom knew all that, didn't think that I would inadvertently lead anyone to him!

Wonder if we'll learn much about Kelle???

BBM

Another LOL step-mother story. Knowing that I do genealogy, she asked me to try to find her brother, who left a party in the 60's and hasn't contacted the family since.

Well, after I posted in the usual places asking about him, I learned that he left a house all right -- but the party was over, the house was on fire, and there was a deceased person inside!

Oh, yes, step-mom knew all that, didn't think that I would inadvertently lead anyone to him!

Wonder if we'll learn much about Kelle???

Oh my! I'm surprised she wanted you to try to find him. I would wonder if he was the one deceased in the house.

Unless we get a VI here, I don't know if we will find much out about Kelle. Since she wasn't report missing until 2008 it seems she might not have been close to family or perhaps her family got told a story by someone and believed it for a long time. I'm guessing certain people were told she walked away. Maybe 2008 was a turning point in someone's life-- Marriage or beginning to have children perhaps? And realizing that there was someone missing in their life they wish was there to share these special moments. Specualating only. Kelle could have had children and could have grandchildren by now who may have asked about her. MOO.

Oh my! I'm surprised she wanted you to try to find him. I would wonder if he was the one deceased in the house.

Unless we get a VI here, I don't know if we will find much out about Kelle. Since she wasn't report missing until 2008 it seems she might not have been close to family or perhaps her family got told a story by someone and believed it for a long time. I'm guessing certain people were told she walked away. Maybe 2008 was a turning point in someone's life-- Marriage or beginning to have children perhaps? And realizing that there was someone missing in their life they wish was there to share these special moments. Specualating only. Kelle could have had children and could have grandchildren by now who may have asked about her. MOO.

Step-mom's brother -- oh he left that house all right. Walked by the nuns' house drunkenly singing, well, a song inappropriate for nuns to hear. Singing loudly enough to wake the nuns. The nuns, who all recognized him as their former student. :rolleyes:

Kelle: I will share any response from Mr. Buse. Economic reality, we have time to invest in Kelle while he does not. Perhaps a family member will Google her name & find us, providing more information?

I agree with your surmises, genealogists see this sort of thing.

Yippee!

Awaiting a response from Mr. Buse, but Kelle's surnames match in NAMUS -- her file was modified 5/30/19!!!

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Alerting to ask that the thread title be updated as well.

ETA: Yeah I'm excited that apparently someone read my email, at least!

Thanks, Gardener, for starting all these threads for us!

Last edited:
Detective Buse replied!

As we expected, he cannot release any information.

He did say that DNA is available for Kelle, and for the Vidor TX Jane Doe, so no match there.

He thanked us for our "interest in missing person cases and the research you do to try and help solve them."

I mentioned that I noticed his update of the NAMUS page, and thanked him.

So -- likely a family member of Kelle's provided a sample for DNA, I don't expect a hairbrush from 1980 to be available in 2008.

Still hoping a family member Googles her name & finds us here, pining away for a few more facts....

She reminds me of Walker County Jane Doe: 91UFTX
TX - TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe' WhtFem 91UFTX, 14-16, Nov'80 *GRAPHIC* #2
WCJD was listed as age 14 to 20
I'm wondering about the daughter Kelle supposedly left behind. Possible to check DNA w WCJD ?

Age is off, however as WCJD is thought to be much younger (14-16). On the other hand, supposedly WCJD told a waitress she was 19 (waitress thought she was lying about her age). Since the date in 1980 when she went missing is unknown, perhaps Kelle could have disappeared before her 20th birthday?
MOO.

Detective Buse replied!

As we expected, he cannot release any information.

He did say that DNA is available for Kelle, and for the Vidor TX Jane Doe, so no match there.

He thanked us for our "interest in missing person cases and the research you do to try and help solve them."

I mentioned that I noticed his update of the NAMUS page, and thanked him.

So -- likely a family member of Kelle's provided a sample for DNA, I don't expect a hairbrush from 1980 to be available in 2008.

Still hoping a family member Googles her name & finds us here, pining away for a few more facts....

namus states she was "SEEN" by someone in 1983. It also claims she used the names " Kelle Allen" & "Kelle Gillespie" I don't have the capability but could she be searched for a birth date or more info this way ? Do we know when her daughter was born ?

I am not . It is on a Missing persons forum that she had a young daughter. That is where I am assuming the available DNA comes from. I will try to get more info from the poster. Also some other names to search Kelle Allen and/or Kelle Gillespie

http://charleyproject.org/case/kelle-renee-ferstrom
ferstrom_kelle2.jpg
ferstrom_kelle3.jpg

Kelle's NamUs page was last updated about a year ago (Sep'19), but I see several important changes from her original file. I have bolded in purple what I have spotted:

Kelle Renee Fernstrom
Female
White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact: September 1, 1983
Missing From: Houston, Texas
Missing Age: 24 Years
Current Age: 61 Years

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age: 24 Years
Current Age: 61 Years
First Name: Kelle
Middle Name: Renee
Last Name: Fernstrom
Nickname/Alias: Scott- Fernstrom, Kelle / Scott, Kelle / Allen, Kelle / Gillispie, Kelle

Sex: Female
Height: 5' 6" (66 Inches)
Weight: 135 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: September 1, 1983
NamUs Case Created: September 1, 2016

Last Known Location Map
County: Harris County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: No

Circumstances of Disappearance:
The MP was reported missing in 2008, but was last seen in September 1983.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --

Left Eye Color: Brown
Right Eye Color: Brown
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Additional Case Info

Transportation
No Information Entered

-------------------------------------------------------

Does she has any more ruleouts? @Laughing @Gardener1850 @MadMcGoo ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back