GUILTY TX - Laura Crane, 77, Fort Worth, 30 Jan 2004

I to wish they only took the car!:furious: I'm so glad they got them, It's not going to hlep the family any but at least they will get whats coming to them!

Police Lt. Roger Dixon said that Mrs. Crane was asphyxiated and that duct tape was placed over her face. She also showed signs of blunt force trauma, he said.
:(

Both people charged in connection with Mrs. Crane's death have long criminal histories, including convictions for drug possession, robbery and assault.
:furious:

More here...

Praying for justice for Laura Lee

With love and hope, Lanie

Laura Crane Abducted From Fort Worth Parking Lot

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The man accused of murdering a retired Texas Christian University professor is scheduled to go on trial Wednesday.

Edward Busby is accused of murdering TCU professor Laura Crane.

Edward Busby is charged in the abduction and murder of Laura Crane from a south Hulen parking lot shook the community in February 2004.

Busby, who cried when talking to NBC 5 about the crime last year, and Kathleen Latimer are accused of putting duct tape around Crane's face so she could not breathe.

Fort Worth police said Crane was killed after the pair stole her car, robbed her, and bound her.

Busby and Latimer were later stopped by police on a traffic violation in Oklahoma. During the stop, officers discovered the car belonged to the missing woman.

With the help of Busby and Latimer, Crane's body was found in a field near Davis, Okla.

More: http://www.nbc5i.com/news/5277193/detail.html?rss=dfw&psp=news

I don't know if I should just post the info here or start a thread in the trials? Or maybe get this moved to the trials forum?

Trial's opening statements detail TCU professor's death

FORT WORTH — Laura Lee Crane’s final day was a pretty routine one: a trip to the bank and grocery shopping at a nearby store.

When the retired college professor failed to return home, her husband of 56 years called police.
“I realized something was wrong and that’s when I called 911,” said Meade Ballard Crane, the first witness Wednesday in the capital murder trial of Edward Lee Busby Jr.

Mr. Busby, 33, of Fort Worth, is accused of killing the 77-year-old woman after abducting her from a South Hulen Street parking lot. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Mr. Crane, 79, said he last saw his wife on the morning of Jan. 30, 2004 when she left for the Tom Thumb grocery store three blocks from their Bellaire Drive home in southwest Fort Worth.

Mr. Crane, whose testimony was videotaped, said he was expecting his wife around 1 p.m. Following a nearly three-hour wait, he reported her missing, he said.

During opening statements, prosecutors said Ms. Crane was wrapped in 14 layers of duct tape and placed in the trunk of her own car.

Two different types of duct tape were used, Mr. Miller said.

“When they put Mrs. Crane in the trunk of her car, the trunk became her coffin and the car itself became a funeral hearse,” said Greg Miller, an assistant Tarrant County district attorney.

He told jurors Mr. Busby and a companion, Kathleen Latimer, abducted Mrs. Crane, cashed a $175 check and used her credit cards. Ms. Latimer, 41, also of Fort Worth is awaiting trial.

The two drove to Oklahoma with Ms. Crane in the trunk of her car, he said.

Mrs. Crane was an assistant professor of education at Texas Christian University. She also was a former principal of Starpoint School at TCU, a school for children with learning disabilities.

Her body was found along a service road of Interstate 35 in Murray County, Oklahoma just north of the Texas border.

Mr. Busby, officials said, led police to the body which was duct taped and wrapped in a sheet taken from the motel where Mr. Busby and Ms. Latimer had stayed.

His attorneys, Steve Gordon and Jack Strickland, did not make an opening statement, but said they may address the jury later during the trial.

Mrs. Crane’s daughter, Allen Walker, said the trial is a heartbreaking reminder of her mother’s final hours and the search launched by her disappearance.

“There is a lot of sadness, a lot of recollection and anger,” Ms. Walker said. “Justice for our family will be that no one ever has to suffer again the way that my mother has suffered.”

More: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/111005dnmetfwtrial.44655193.html

That has to be a horrible thing to sit through for the family. They are hearing things that they will never be able to get out of their memorys.

I hope this creep does get the death penalty. Has this thread gone to the trial room yet? I would really like to know how this turns out if there is someone who can let us know...thanks.

A Tarrant County jury is deliberating the punishment for a Fort Worth man convicted of abducting and killing a former college professor from a grocery store parking lot.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Edward Lee Busby Jr., 33, who was convicted of capital murder last week in the abduction and slaying of Laura Lee Crane.

Mrs. Crane, 77, a retired Texas Christian University education professor, was kidnapped Jan. 30, 2004, three blocks from her home. She was placed in the trunk of her car and taken to southern Oklahoma, where her body was later found bound with duct tape and dumped at the bottom of an embankment along Interstate 35 near Murray.

She was suffocated, officials said.

Jack Strickland, Mr. Busby's attorney, conceded during the trial that his client's actions, though despicable, were unintended.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/111805dnmetbusbyfolo.6d282881.html

From February 2006:

http://newsok.com/woman-sentenced/article/2930747

A Texas woman who was arrested in Oklahoma City on a Texas murder charge is being sent to prison for life.

Kathleen Latimer of Fort Worth was sentenced under a plea agreement in connection with the 2004 robbery and suffocation death of retired Texas Christian University professor Laura Lee Crane...

Busby was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death.

Texas Court Issues Nation’s Seventh Coronavirus Stay of Execution

April 27, 2020

"The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has stayed the May 6, 2020 execution of Edward Busby (pictured) for sixty days. Busby’s was the nation’s seventh execution postponed in the United States because of the coronavirus and the sixth in Texas....

The court’s stay order did not specify the grounds for its decision, saying only that “[w]e have determined that the execution should be stayed at the present time.” However, Busby’s stay motion had sought to postpone his execution because of the dangers of moving forward with his case during the COVID-19 pandemic. “The rapidly spreading coronavirus is producing an unprecedented crisis in this country, and in Texas,” wrote defense counsel Jeffrey R. Newberry. “It is affecting every aspect of daily functioning—including in the criminal justice system. Each day, each hour, increases the number of people and systems effected.”..."

Texas Court Issues Nation's Seventh Coronavirus Stay of Execution | Death Penalty Information Center

144182813_1473951779.jpg

(Laura Lee Grogan Crane)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA