TX - Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), 41-50, Suicide - Assumed Identity, Dec'10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found one bounty hunter's sight that had 4 or 5 pages of female fugitives, but I didn't see any that looked like our doe.

This is really bugging me that she can't be identified. I did hear that she shot herself in her car in the driveway when she was arriving to get her child from visitation.

I found one bounty hunter's sight that had 4 or 5 pages of female fugitives, but I didn't see any that looked like our doe.

yeah, all the sites I have found for various counties only carry the top ten for their area or pages for the last couple of years. So that line of research is probably a dead end.

This is really bugging me that she can't be identified. I did hear that she shot herself in her car in the driveway when she was arriving to get her child from visitation.

oh my goodness. :(

Oh my. That is so, so sad. Can I ask how you got this information GDUD? Did you find an article or do you know someone in the area who heard about it? I am completely stumped in looking for information - wondered if you might have a new angle or some suggestions...

Oh my. That is so, so sad. Can I ask how you got this information GDUD? Did you find an article or do you know someone in the area who heard about it? I am completely stumped in looking for information - wondered if you might have a new angle or some suggestions...

I was born in Longview so I sniffed around a little so it could be just a rumor, I wonder if we could verify it through death certificate? I am new to this sleuthing!

I was born in Longview so I sniffed around a little so it could be just a rumor, I wonder if we could verify it through death certificate? I am new to this sleuthing!

I think you need to get verified as a local?? You should PM a mod so they can help you do that.

I don't know how to PM yet. Mods, can you call me out if I am wrong? Thanks so much!:blushing:

Ehhh, I think you're okay, GDUD: Rules Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I think you'd need to be verified if you said you were her cousin in law or former co-worker or the ambulance driver or something. But if you're just sniffing around, I'm pretty sure it's all good. Keep sniffing!

(if you are really concerned you could click the little triangular "alert" button in the upper right hand of the post in question and a moderator will be notified - just to be on the safe side).

Do you have any connections that could get some kind of newspaper archive or something from the local library? Articles about her death or wedding announcement or something? The archival sources in this case are just horrible!

Ehhh, I think you're okay, GDUD: Rules Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I think you'd need to be verified if you said you were her cousin in law or former co-worker or the ambulance driver or something. But if you're just sniffing around, I'm pretty sure it's all good. Keep sniffing!

(if you are really concerned you could click the little triangular "alert" button in the upper right hand of the post in question and a moderator will be notified - just to be on the safe side).

Do you have any connections that could get some kind of newspaper archive or something from the local library? Articles about her death or wedding announcement or something? The archival sources in this case are just horrible!
I haven't been able to locate any publications from that area. I don't think it was publicized.

I've been away for a few weeks and just came back to see if any progress has been made. I like the idea of posting the picture on FB sites. I also think somebody should follow up on the Mary Louise Day possible match. Something just strikes me about that one. It is odd how there is so little information. I know the obit said she was from AZ, but I keep getting the feeling that there is a California connection.

Welcome GDUD! Thanks for digging around with the locals to add to what we know about the case. Would it be possible for you to ask around to see if anybody local is aware of the fact that she was using a stolen identity?

Yes some of the locals told me that the family suspected . I am curious why the SSA is just now as of February 9th trying to locate her identity. I wonder what came up about her that the SSA would be trying to find her identity. I wonder if the family tried to apply for benefits for the child or something. Because she died in 2010. Maybe the family just found out somehow and are asking the SSA for assistance in identifying her.

Yes some of the locals told me that the family suspected . I am curious why the SSA is just now as of February 9th trying to locate her identity. I wonder what came up about her that the SSA would be trying to find her identity. I wonder if the family tried to apply for benefits for the child or something. Because she died in 2010. Maybe the family just found out somehow and are asking the SSA for assistance in identifying her.

I wonder why/what the family suspected. The SSA might have been trying to locate her identity earlier. The Feb 9th date is just the date it was entered into NamUs. I don't know the process for getting things into NamUs, but I have noticed that sometimes people have been missing or unidentified for years before they suddenly show up in the system.

Based on what I have read about SS investigations, they tend to be a very long process. So I suppose they had to look into her stated history and investigate to make sure it was a false number, then they probably tried to figure out who she was. It was probably only when they hit a brick wall that they entered her into the database. So that is why it took so long. JMO

If her new family suspected, I wonder why? What things didn't add up for them? That would be nice to know, especially if there were inconsistances in her story. For example: if she told them her family died when she was 16 but then later said, "Oh, Dad bought me a watch for HS graduation." Or, "Grew up in Scottsdale" but then slipped and said how she loved snow days as a child. Those would be useful clues.

But I guess we are all just whistling into the wind here.

It would definitely be great to know why the family she married into suspected that something was odd about her story.

deca, Just for your information as you delve into sleuthing, missing persons or the unidentified are often entered into NamUs years after they went missing or a body was found. It has nothing to do with the SSA investigation, it's just how NamUs works.

It would definitely be great to know why the family she married into suspected that something was odd about her story.

deca, Just for your information as you delve into sleuthing, missing persons or the unidentified are often entered into NamUs years after they went missing or a body was found. It has nothing to do with the SSA investigation, it's just how NamUs works.

Thanks! I am still learning stuff around here.
What I find interesting: I was just looking at CA clearinghouse for missing people and they just entered 2 people that went missing within the last month. I am assuming if these 2 people remain missing, they will be entered into NAMUS. Obviously, longview would not have put out a missing person's alert for our doe---but I am surprised that local news, sheriff, etc. did not put out a "seeking info" release. Perhaps they felt it would garner no new info.
I wonder how many people in Longview even know about this identity thing? I live in a city if similar size and I can see ( since it wasn't in the news) not knowing about it. Some acquaintance of hers might have info.

This is definitely an odd case. I have a feeling that there is a lot more information that the public isn't privy to about who LR may have been. It would have been nice is NamUs had some of the info that you've all managed to track down (LR's "maiden" name, the years she was in certain states, when she assumed the identity, etc.) because it might trigger some long lost memory for someone.

Before reading that there was a divorce in the works, I was struck by the obituary and how sparse it was - a young mother passes away unexpectedly and it didn't have a lot information about her and her accomplishments. Usually when I see these kids of obits they talk about hobbies, interests, etc. My first thought was that it was written by someone who was estranged from her or really didn't know her that well. And, of course, that she was only survived by her daughter and the family she married into.

Let's not forget that we don't know for sure that LR intentionally planned a false identity. She could have been a victim of a kidnapping and given the identity when she was much younger. Applying for the SS when she was 18 might just mean that no one ever matched her with one when she was younger, and as an adult when she moved on with her life she applied for her own so that she could start to work, take classes in college, etc. I've read through the threads, but does anyone know what the process was to apply for a SS# as an adult in the late 80s? What kind of documentation was needed? if she had legitimate identification and a SSN assigned to that ID, then I wonder how it ever came out that she was using an alias? Maybe she admitted to it or maybe there were people around her who knew all along and knew the reasons why she chose to do so.

There are just too many variables that we don't know. The Scottsdale and DOB bit intrigues me, because it was stated in the obit, which makes me think that it was information that she admitted to being true at one point to her husband or whomever supplied the obituary info. Then again, if the fact that she was using an alias came to light after she died, then that may all be false.

If I understand their website correctly, Arizona is a closed records state, but I would be curious to know if there was a LEK ("maiden name") born on that date in Scottsdale who passed away prior to 1969 without being assigned a SSN.

Also, I'm confusing myself in searches by running into another LR in the same town. How big is Longview? Would they have known each other? Not sure if it would even matter, just a weird coincidence.

So, my thinking about Scottsdale doesn't make as much sense to me now that I've written it out and read it!

Here was my thinking: the obituary was telling to me - not so much in what it said, but what it didn't say. I had a hunch that the obit was written by someone who knew that LR was a false identity, but that it may have had some correct information about the past that she provided. I think it's reasonable to assume that a couple who was married for six years and had a child together would have discussed their pasts, even to some degree. Now, maybe LR was evasive in answering, but if she was intent on keeping up an ID that ensured no one would go digging too much into her past, she may have said "My parents are deceased," and the obit would indicate such. No mention of high school is given, but it's also reasonable to think that at one point, someone would have asked what the name of her high school was. If I'm not mistaken, her maiden name was not given either. That's why I truly believe that this obituary was written by someone who knew not to give that information because it likely wasn't true. However, the date and place of birth are given, throwing my theory into a loop. My original thought was that if it was intentionally included by someone who knew LR was an alias, then they would have had to reasonably believe it was true.

But...that doesn't make sense. If the place and date of birth were true, I would imagine that it would be relatively easy for TX LE to cross reference all the female births in Scottsdale on that day and find out who LR really was.

In this case I think I was overthinking it and relying too much on what I would do in the situation and then assuming that's what everyone would do. I'm still bothered by the lack of info in the obit, but I have to rethink what importance, if any, that has on the case.

(respectfully snipped)

But...that doesn't make sense. If the place and date of birth were true, I would imagine that it would be relatively easy for TX LE to cross reference all the female births in Scottsdale on that day and find out who LR really was.

Hi Pjclover, The obit gave a birthday and said that she lived formerly in Scottsdale. It did not say that she was born there. I think the whole Scottsdale association was made up. She moved around Texas a lot from 1988 to the time she married in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix