TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting BCA! I wonder if it's only coincidence another Lori was assigned the number.

I just finished tracing the two Snyder families back as far as 1798 and no crossover or connection between them. SO I can say with a great degree of certainty that there is no family connection between the Carol Sue Snyder that went missing in Texas and the Pastor that Lori worked with in 1998. I still think it would be interesting to hear what the Pastor has to say about his memory of Lori though. If Lori was a member of his church and not just an employee, she might have confided in the pastor about her past. Is anyone else interested enough to email him?

I think this is a case of Lori being too common of a name. According to familysearch, that Lori is young enough to be FLEK's daughter: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJ43-243T

Thanks for looking Gardner!! I found it then I had to go do some stuff and couldn't search it anymore. I was just about to do that when I came back to my computer and see you've already done that!!! Was about to do a :happydance:but now I can only :gaah:!!!

I've been trying to figure out how to share a piece of information I found about the people Lori worked with without directly sharing their names. So bare with me while I post some links. You will need to follow them to understand what I'm rambling about.

The first company I looked up is Operating Technical in Grand Prairie, Texas. Their full name is now Operating Technical Electronics. Lori put on her resume that she worked for them from January to May 1998. Lori claimed to do photography, marketing work and website work there. I found the company address and the names of the owners. It is owned by a husband and wife. The name I am interested in is the wife's last name that begins with a C. It's an Asian name and I found others in the Dallas area with the same surname who were born in Taiwan, China. http://www.texascorporates.com/corp/1492786.html

Okay, did you find the name? Keep that in mind because I'm going to skip ahead on Lori's timeline to revisit the employees of NCH. When I look up the names associated with the corporate headquarters of NCH I get a person with this same C surname. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJW1-RB9L

I have been able to find out very little about GC and BC and whether they could be related but if they ARE related perhaps they were references/contacts that Lori used to get the Job at NCH. I kept thinking how it's hard to get a job at a small family-run business unless you know someone personally. The Operating Tech business had fewer than 5 employees from one company description I saw. NCH became big but it would have been smaller when Lori worked there. So my question is what was her "in" for landing the job at Operating Tech in the first place? Did she really do independent consulting work and manage to impress one of them?

I can't imagine how these small family run business owner's paths would cross with Lori who was fresh out of college in 1997 and just having gone through bankruptcy. What was impressive about her as a job candidate that they gave her a chance?

Now with all that said, I'm going to post something that makes a big leap and relates to something on the notes page. I have been throwing my genealogy skills at this surname and finding very little. Part of the problem is that Asian surnames frequently change in spelling or to became Americanized when new immigrants come here. Also what we consider a surname/last name in the west is sometimes a first name in an Asian country or the the family name is used interchangeably with the first name. I feel I'm explaining this poorly but let's just say it's confusing for those without an Asian language background to trace ancestry for first or 2nd generation immigrants. The person I'm going to post is deceased but he has a very interesting name, IMO. He died in Dallas, Texas and has the same surname as GC and BC who worked at two companies where Lori worked. I suspect he is their brother-in-law but I have not found concrete evidence of that. Check out his first name middle name (and his nickname) and think of the note page: http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSvcid=386301&GRid=106621868&

Does any one else see what I see?

Thanks for looking Gardner!! I found it then I had to go do some stuff and couldn't search it anymore. I was just about to do that when I came back to my computer and see you've already done that!!! Was about to do a :happydance:but now I can only :gaah:!!!

Sorry to step on your toes BCA. You got me curious and it was a really quick look up. :tyou:

Sorry to step on your toes BCA. You got me curious and it was a really quick look up. :tyou:

NP, we are all in this rabbit hole together! :great: After some additional research, looks like some super sleuth from WS tracked down that hole before. :banghead:

That's interesting BCA! I wonder if it's only coincidence another Lori was assigned the number.

I just finished tracing the two Snyder families back as far as 1798 and no crossover or connection between them. SO I can say with a great degree of certainty that there is no family connection between the Carol Sue Snyder that went missing in Texas and the Pastor that Lori worked with in 1998. I still think it would be interesting to hear what the Pastor has to say about his memory of Lori though. If Lori was a member of his church and not just an employee, she might have confided in the pastor about her past. Is anyone else interested enough to email him?
Did you find any members of the family who spelled the name Snider by any chance?

Did you find any members of the family who spelled the name Snider by any chance?

I may have come across one of two records with that spelling but all the official spellings used were with Y. I didn't find anyone who chose to use the I spelling throughout their life.

Does any one else see what I see?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiu

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but Chiu is actually a pretty common name used for Chinese immigrants coming to English speaking countries. I worked for a bank firm in a college town with a ton of Chinese immigrants and found that it's used to substitute for surnames that don't translate well to English. We had a ton.

Also, have we ever really verified that she had all of these jobs? She seems like the type that could look for company names and claim she worked there, or to stretch out the definition of a freelance job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiu

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but Chiu is actually a pretty common name used for Chinese immigrants coming to English speaking countries. I worked for a bank firm in a college town with a ton of Chinese immigrants and found that it's used to substitute for surnames that don't translate well to English. We had a ton.

Also, have we ever really verified that she had all of these jobs? She seems like the type that could look for company names and claim she worked there, or to stretch out the definition of a freelance job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I appreciate the reality check. It's easy to get carried away with crazy theories with FLEK. I was just struck by the name and the way Jackson was written on the notes page like it was two words, or two names. Jack Son. Jut Sun. May be nothing though. I found that man's mother's Obituary and she had 6 sons. She was born in China and had lived in San Jose, CA as well as Texas. BC and GC both also have connections to San Jose, CA and Dallas, TX. It could be as you say though that Chiu is just a common last name and those are common places for Chinese immigrants to relocate to. FWIW, Operating Technical Electronics makes power adapters and imports them from their factory in China. GC is the co-owner wife of OTE so it makes sense, IMO, that she would help some of her relatives get jobs in the US.

I don't think we have hard evidence Lori worked at these places other than her resume. At first I felt like the entire resume was fake because the names are not familiar corporations to me but as I looked at it closely, each one checks out to be a legitimate company. With the exception of the church that changed names, all the companies she put on her resume are still in operation today. They were also small family run operations when she worked for them. It would be pretty ballsy, IMO, to put a small family-run businesses on a resume if you didn't really work for them. IDK because I've never tried to falsify a resume but IMO I would think you would be better off choosing large companies or companies that went out of business if faking a resume. Her resume would be easy to check for employers living in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Further, I looked up the addresses of every company and they all are close to addresses she used as her residences.
Operating Tech (1998) and Key Automation (2000) are near one another separated by HWY 360. Just up the road on the right hand side of Hwy 360 are the Oakridge Ct and Statler Blvd Apartments she used.
NCH (2000-2002) is close the 1111 W Airport Fwy PO Box she used, both near HWY 183 (183 is AKA Airport FWY) and NCH is also not far from her Hudnall St Address.
High Meadows Christian Church (1998) address is within 5 miles of her Harwood Rd address which she used on her 1997 Texas license. Bear Creek and Oak Creek Lane are in the same general area.

The outliers for her address history in Dallas are the Melody lane Apartment (1990 GED and Passport app) and the Mockingbird PO Box she used in 1988. These addresses are close to one another but not very close to her other addresses and places of employment. They are in an area of Dallas labeled "Northeast Dallas". Her next closest address is the Hudnall St address. Hudnall is in a different area labeled "Northwest Dallas" and it's south of the Dallas Love Field Airport. I happen to know that a lot of private planes fly in and out of Dallas Love Field. Hudnall is also the address the Laciners had in 1979.

My question is, where was Lori really living in 1988-1990 and where did she work?

I thought I had read before about Lori working at an apartment complex but I don't recall the name. Can anyone find those posts? I wonder why she didn't put that employment on her resume.

The outliers for her address history in Dallas are the Melody lane Apartment (1990 GED and Passport app) and the Mockingbird PO Box she used in 1988. These addresses are close to one another but not very close to her other addresses and places of employment. They are in an area of Dallas labeled "Northeast Dallas". Her next closest address is the Hudnall St address. Hudnall is in a different area labeled "Northwest Dallas" and it's south of the Dallas Love Field Airport. I happen to know that a lot of private planes fly in and out of Dallas Love Field. Hudnall is also the address the Laciners had in 1979.

My question is, where was Lori really living in 1988-1990 and where did she work?

That must be her stripping years. You would think the SSA could see her tax filings and know exactly what she was doing. Of course she could have worked off the books.

Cantebria Crossing 1978 Oak Creek Ln, Apt 16, Bedford, TX 76022-7944 was listed as a business association.

that must be her stripping years. You would think the ssa could see her tax filings and know exactly what she was doing. Of course she could have worked off the books.

why do i think that velling said she waitressed a t a gentlemen's club? Was it ever said she actually stripped (and in dallas?)

why do i think that velling said she waitressed a t a gentlemen's club? Was it ever said she actually stripped (and in dallas?)

Her student loan applications listed three references, one of whom was a former classmate she had briefly dated. According to the man, whom Velling did not name, Jane Doe had “more problems than he could deal with.”
“His recollection was that she was a dancer at a Dallas-area nightclub at the time [she was attending school],” Velling said.

She obtained a Texas driver’s license in 1989, listing her age as 19. I wonder if the new agent assigned to this case would share the address listed on the 1989 DL with us?

That must be her stripping years. You would think the SSA could see her tax filings and know exactly what she was doing. Of course she could have worked off the books.

I thought about that but what would be the point of going to all that trouble to get a SS# to work off book? Perhaps it was a carry-over job from her old identity and she didn't want to connect it to the new one? Since Velling claimed to talk to someone who said she was a stripper you would think he would know exactly where she worked but we don't have that info. The info about her being a stripper is sort of presented as a rumor, IMO. Here's the quote form the article:

"He tracked down a few friends and colleagues from years ago. One said she had been working as a dancer at a “gentleman’s club” in the early 1990s, according to Velling. A clue, perhaps. But no one he found knew anything about Lori before 1988."

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021243552_janedoexml.html

If she did strip in the early 90's and her resume is false from 92-98, then I really wonder how she got the job at Operating Technical. I do feel like the "self employed" part of her resume is either false or exaggerated. She put as her job title "Marketing Executive" which makes her job sound really important. But she goes from being an Executive to being an Intern and then doing contract work. All her jobs from 1998-2002 are entry-level, IMO. There are certainly people who make a living doing free lance and self employed work. I knew an IT professional that made big bucks doing freelance work in the years leading up to the Y2K scare. But she didn't seem to have the programming skills an IT person would need to troubleshoot Y2K issues. And the only computer work she mentions in that section of her resume is web design. She did claim to be taking Computer Science classes when she wrote the resume and she had some web design skills but IMO she preferred the business/marketing/design side of jobs. The most computer-centric job she had would have been Tech Support at Key Automation in 2002. Tech Support doesn't really require much computer knowledge, IMO. They have scripts and manuals for how to troubleshoot customer issues.

See my post above. I pulled the exact quote from the article.

Cantebria Crossing 1978 Oak Creek Ln, Apt 16, Bedford, TX 76022-7944 was listed as a business association.

Thank you, Katinka. Her timeline is all making more sense to me now.
She used that address on her resume in 2003. That's also around the time she was doing mystery shopping and had her website "An Eye For Detail Consulting" up and running. I suspect it was a business address because she was trying to run a marketing/survey/mystery shopping business from her apartment, NOT because she worked for the Apartment complex. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH