TX - pregnant wife unresponsive on life support, husband hopes to fulfill her wishes

I learned a very important lesson from my Daddy and I feel this is the place to share it!

When reading an article or case like this, insert our names/our daughters' name as the mother and daughter, then we can make comments.

I have a 13 year old daughter and speaking for myself and my family we would not want to watch our daughter's corpse be a host for an organism that is incapable of surviving outside of its host.

The dead body is no longer my child. The dead body is a corpse. I do not foresee the child living either. IMHO.

BTW: We can sue city, states, and the United States government. If we couldn't there wouldn't be the thousands of supreme court cases I just slogged through in government.

I agree completely. I personally would never expect my husband to raise a child alone with significant special needs. It's simply not what I would want for him, nor for a child, and if that is his rationale, I could never vilify him for that. And I have a child with special needs. I would lay down my life for my child now, but that is a very different scenario than a fetus which has been likely deprived of oxygen and has little chance of quality of life. Especially when a segment of society cares more for the fetus than they do for a sentient child. He is simply trying to honor his wife's wishes. This law is a travesty, and if anything positive can come out of this situation it may be that this law is ultimately challenged.

My SIL and brother have a special needs child that is severely disabled. I am her confidant when she wonders why all this happened. She had the Rhesus Syndrome with her having a negative blood type and my brother having a positive. They have three girls and the last one is the one her body was trying to abort.

They too would lay down their lives for their daughter but they wouldn't wish their situation on anyone.

Hugs and Peace to you and your family.

Who is to say the child will not be normal? This is an unknown.

ITA. Doctors believe an embolism blocked the mother's blood flow to her brain. It says nothing about her blood flow being blocked to the fetus.

Article from Nov 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-dead-mother-foetus-survives-15-27-weeks.html

A baby which was 15 weeks old when its mother was declared brain-dead was delivered by Caesarean section at 27 weeks, after doctors kept the mother alive on life support.

The Hungarian doctors who delivered the baby in July believe the birth is one of only three such cases in the world.
snip

She added that there were three reported cases of births when the mother was declared brain-dead 15 weeks into her pregnancy - but one of those babies did not survive.

I did find a baby born in 1988 to a brain dead mother in Vermont. She was 15 weeks pregnant and delivered 94 days later. Four years later it was reported that the baby boy was fine.

My cousin passed away from the same thing before all the technology of today. She was 4.5 months pregnant and home alone. If it were today, I think we would all root for the baby. It was heartbreaking looking into the casket knowing the baby died, but wasn't even sick. The family is lucky to have this opportunity to save their baby, imo.

ITA. Doctors believe an embolism blocked the mother's blood flow to her brain. It says nothing about her blood flow being blocked to the fetus.

Her heart stopped (her husband did CPR). What exactly was pumping blood to the fetus? I don't see how lucky this family is going to be if they end up with a severely disabled child to raise, or the child dies because it's extremely premature.

Her heart stopped (her husband did CPR). What exactly was pumping blood to the fetus? I don't see how lucky this family is going to be if they end up with a severely disabled child to raise, or the child dies because it's extremely premature.

CPR restores circulation and was pumping blood to the fetus. The embolism suffered by the mother impeded blood to her brain, according to the article. I've seen nothing to indicate the baby will be severely disabled or premature.

I wasn't on life support, but in 1991 I had my little girl at 25 1/2 weeks. She is 22 now. Perfectly normal. No hospitalizations due to her prematurity.
I also had a d and c and my tubes flushed during the first few weeks of my pregnancy. Somehow she managed to survive. A sonogram at 5 weeks showed an intrauterine pregnancy-against all odds.

IMO she was a miracle.
There is still hope for this baby however slim. 23-24 weekers are surviving now. I'm pulling for this baby! I'm sure they are checking it regularly for intrauterine growth retardation. I know they are doing all they can to insure a healthy baby.
If the dad didn't feel like he could raise it, for whatever reason he could still allow the child to be adopted couldn't he?
I really hope that this is going to be a story of survival!
She has 6 more weeks. (Hopefully a few more)
Moo

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

CPR restores circulation and was pumping blood to the fetus. The embolism suffered by the mother impeded blood to her brain, according to the article. I've seen nothing to indicate the baby will be severely disabled or premature.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pulmonary-embolism/DS00429

Pulmonary embolism is blockage in one or more arteries in your lungs. In most cases, pulmonary embolism is caused by blood clots that travel to your lungs from another part of your body — most commonly, your legs.

The blockage was in an artery in her lungs causing no blood flow to her brain. When the blockage occurred, mom would stop breathing. The blood in her body would not be oxygenated, being pumped by compression or not. This means that at the time her heart stopped, blood flow stopped to the placenta meaning no blood/oxygen to the fetus. Unfortunately, this can cause severe damage to the baby.

At this young gestational age, not much can be interpreted by reading a fetal heart tracing. As the fetus matures, the fetal heart tracing will change as the babies nervous system develops. After 24 weeks gestation, a better picture of fetal well being will seen. This is such a sad story and my thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

I wasn't on life support, but in 1991 I had my little girl at 25 1/2 weeks. She is 22 now. Perfectly normal. No hospitalizations due to her prematurity.
I also had a d and c and my tubes flushed during the first few weeks of my pregnancy. Somehow she managed to survive. A sonogram at 5 weeks showed an intrauterine pregnancy-against all odds.

IMO she was a miracle.
There is still hope for this baby however slim. 23-24 weekers are surviving now. I'm pulling for this baby! I'm sure they are checking it regularly for intrauterine growth retardation. I know they are doing all they can to insure a healthy baby.
If the dad didn't feel like he could raise it, for whatever reason he could still allow the child to be adopted couldn't he?
I really hope that this is going to be a story of survival!
She has 6 more weeks. (Hopefully a few more)
Moo

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Your little one is a miracle! You are correct that 24 week gestation babies do survive, but they are wonderful miracles, and rare. For those that do survive, having no life long disabilities that cause suffering.......even more rare. God bless you and your little one.

1997 article
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/16/n...y-girl-is-born-to-a-brain-dead-mother-20.html

A woman declared brain-dead about four months into her pregnancy gave birth to a premature, but healthy, girl. Twenty minutes later, doctors removed her from life-support machines and she died.

snip
Ms. Nottingham was placed on a ventilator 16 weeks into her pregnancy. Doctors said at the time that keeping the mother alive for a few more weeks would profoundly increase the chance of the fetus surviving. It turned out to be more than 14 weeks.

The pregnant mother was shot in the head after she tried to rob an amputee. Baby transferred to Children's Hospital Oakland (CHO) after birth.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-08-04/news/1993216221_1_baby-boy-brain-dead-woman-healthy-baby

When doctors discovered she was 17-weeks pregnant, they put her on a respirator and hooked up a feeding tube to try to prolong the life of the fetus, a rare and risky procedure.

At the time, doctors said it was unlikely the child would survive because they expected Ms. Marshall's heart and lungs to give out within two weeks. But the woman's stamina surprised medical experts. She carried the infant for 104 days after being declared brain-dead, just shy of a 1989 record set by a brain-dead woman in Vermont.

The blockage was in an artery in her lungs causing no blood flow to her brain. When the blockage occurred, mom would stop breathing. The blood in her body would not be oxygenated, being pumped by compression or not. This means that at the time her heart stopped, blood flow stopped to the placenta meaning no blood/oxygen to the fetus. Unfortunately, this can cause severe damage to the baby.

At this young gestational age, not much can be interpreted by reading a fetal heart tracing. As the fetus matures, the fetal heart tracing will change as the babies nervous system develops. After 24 weeks gestation, a better picture of fetal well being will seen. This is such a sad story and my thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

The question is whether her body will last to the time fetus can survive outside of her.
It's a mixed bag. Some of the babies born to the brain dead women have died.
Sometimes the body just expels the fetus.
A lot of risks involved the family doesn't appear to be willing to take. Yet they have no say, which I think is very wrong.

thanks so much for taking the time to explain it!

wow idk Fast forward to a 12 year old child turning to their parent and asking if there is any truth to the story that you initially wanted to end mom's life before I could be born. Yeah this is going to be a tough one.

wow idk Fast forward to a 12 year old child turning to their parent and asking if there is any truth to the story that you initially wanted to end mom's life before I could be born. Yeah this is going to be a tough one.

If this fetus actually gets to be a 12 year old that can walk and talk, then I think he or she will understand. The odds are against it.

I'm not sure of the difference of brain dead versus coma but it does appear to be possible.jmo idk

A car crash victim who was in a coma virtually her entire pregnancy has given birth to a healthy daughter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-62940/Coma-woman-gives-birth-daughter.html

Woman, 29, Still in 10-Year Coma, Is Pregnant by a Rapist

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/25/n...egnant-by-a-rapist.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Woman In Coma Since Car Wreck Gives Birth

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125510

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname