TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a cold case...and I think if they needed more tips from the public, they'd still be asking. Eventually this will get solved IMO. They don't owe us any explainations. JMO.

As many people believe (including me), LE probably knows who did this. However, even if SP left DNA, if there is none on file to compare it to - and SP refused to give a sample during an interview with LE - then, LE is stuck. I also think if there was cell data, LE would have made an arrest by now. I don't think SP took his or her phone to the scene. Even most "average Joe's" (like me) know that it could be traced to your location at a certain time. I think this is why Sgt. Johnson keeps saying "we need that one call." Without someone (probably SP's spouse if he or she has one) willing to tell on SP (and testify about it), then there is not much else LE can do. Please let me know if I'm wrong - I'm by no means a detective or LE expert.

As many people believe (including me), LE probably knows who did this. However, even if SP left DNA, if there is none on file to compare it to - and SP refused to give a sample during an interview with LE - then, LE is stuck. I also think if there was cell data, LE would have made an arrest by now. I don't think SP took his or her phone to the scene. Even most "average Joe's" (like me) know that it could be traced to your location at a certain time. I think this is why Sgt. Johnson keeps saying "we need that one call." Without someone (probably SP's spouse if he or she has one) willing to tell on SP (and testify about it), then there is not much else LE can do. Please let me know if I'm wrong - I'm by no means a detective or LE expert.

JMO, but there’s others involved besides just the murderer so it’s probably taking longer to track those ties down. I have no idea, just my gut feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a cold case...and I think if they needed more tips from the public, they'd still be asking. Eventually this will get solved IMO. They don't owe us any explainations. JMO.

Incorrect. They are public servants. As our employees, they absolutely do owe us explanations for everything they do. Just like any employees owe their bosses explanations. The day we get to the point where public employees can just do what they want and not give any explanations for it, will be a sad day for all Americans.

Incorrect. They are public servants. As our employees, they absolutely do owe us explanations for everything they do. Just like any employees owe their bosses explanations. The day we get to the point where public employees can just do what they want and not give any explanations for it, will be a sad day for all Americans.
I don't believe that is what Janesmith meant. Even though it would be great if police kept us up to date and step by step on this case, it wouldn't be if it jeopardized the case. Telling us everything and why they do what they do on this current open case would be foolhardy. They can answer all our questions once SP has been tried and convicted.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I’m meaning since it’s an active investigation, they don’t owe us every detail that could possibly compromise the case. MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Our public institutions are accountable to us, the public. At some point the "active investigation" will either result in an arrest or it will transition into a cold case. And if it's the latter, they will owe us something.

I was heartened to read BB's quote in the CrimeOnline piece. He said that MPD went to Austin and met with other outside agencies. They spent four days going over the entire case. I'm glad that some fresh eyes were able to look at everything. Hopefully it did some good.

I agree. Our public institutions are accountable to us, the public. At some point the "active investigation" will either result in an arrest or it will transition into a cold case. And if it's the latter, they will owe us something.

I was heartened to read BB's quote in the CrimeOnline piece. He said that MPD went to Austin and met with other outside agencies. They spent four days going over the entire case. I'm glad that some fresh eyes were able to look at everything. Hopefully it did some good.

Was that recently?

Can somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. There has been absolutely zero new information released in this case since May 20, 2016. That was the video of the Nissan Altima pulling into the SWFA Outdoors parking lot. I know there was the one year anniversary coverage, but unless I'm wrong that was just a rehash of the same information released on May 20, 2016 or before.

Can somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. There has been absolutely zero new information released in this case since May 20, 2016. That was the video of the Nissan Altima pulling into the SWFA Outdoors parking lot. I know there was the one year anniversary coverage, but unless I'm wrong that was just a rehash of the same information released on May 20, 2016 or before.

I think May 2016 was just the still shot of the Altima. December 2016 was when SWFA took it upon themselves to release their video. At which point MPD said, "The video is nothing new to us. We chose to release the still photo because we believed it gave the best chance at identification."

Yeah, that statement is a head-scratcher. How the still photo is somehow better for the public to see than the full high-resolution video is beyond me.

http://www.midlothianmirror.com/news/20170419/one-year-later-police-are-still-searching-for-missy-bevers-killer

To an extent, this is true. But LE generally is not required to reveal info to the public that can compromise and active investigation. An active investigation is sort of an "exception" to being completely forthcoming with the public.

Doubtful he or his children will ever have closure unless the perp is caught.

I think May 2016 was just the still shot of the Altima. December 2016 was when SWFA took it upon themselves to release their video. At which point MPD said, "The video is nothing new to us. We chose to release the still photo because we believed it gave the best chance at identification."

Yeah, that statement is a head-scratcher. How the still photo is somehow better for the public to see than the full high-resolution video is beyond me.

Yeah, that video was uploaded on SWFA Outdoors YouTube Channel on Dec 5, 2016. Which means that the MPD hasn't released any new information since May 20, 2016. So 17 months with no new information. Thats a long time with no updates.

7e1f2e7378f07d8619951ee3fa507e4a.jpg

To an extent, this is true. But LE generally is not required to reveal info to the public that can compromise and active investigation. An active investigation is sort of an "exception" to being completely forthcoming with the public.

When they don't release any updates, how do we even know they are working on the case? They claim to have one full time detective working on it. If that is true, he could just be sitting in an office playing video games eight hours a day. We would never know. The results would be the same. Nothing. BB would never know, because they are telling him nothing.

When they don't release any updates, how do we even know they are working on the case? They claim to have one full time detective working on it. If that is true, he could just be sitting in an office playing video games eight hours a day. We would never know. The results would be the same. Nothing. BB would never know, because they are telling him nothing.

I see your point on this. At least update that "yes, we are working on it" - or not...

I see your point on this. At least update that "yes, we are working on it" - or not...

This is what MPD kind of gave us 6 months ago. Bold and italics by me.

http://www.midlothianmirror.com/new...e-are-still-searching-for-missy-bevers-killer

"...despite a joint investigation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Johnson said as of Monday evening there are still no new developments.

'As forensic and investigative technology have advanced significantly over the past several years, so has the ability for law enforcement to recover physical evidence related to violent crimes similar to Missy’s homicide,'stated Johnson in a press release issued Monday, April 17. 'Law enforcement officials, diligently working with professional outside resources as well, are determined to see this case reach imminent closure. We are relentlessly pursuing new leads that have been developed and are availing ourselves of a number of new, highly advanced investigative techniques. While we are reluctant to discuss all of our current investigative details and methods, there is no technology or resource that will not be fully exploited in order to identify the individual or individuals responsible for this senseless murder.'"

He mentioned working with "professional outside resources". I know that video surveillance of the gaits of various POIs was sent to a podiatrist expert to compare against the church video. He was able to exclude a number of those POIs, based on body type and the way they walked, from being SP.

Johnson goes on to say: "Please know that we will continue to judiciously protect the release of information about Missy’s murder so long as this case remains open. To do otherwise would be irresponsible and simply poor police work. Missy was a beloved mother, wife, daughter, and sister. She, her family, and our community deserve our best effort. Since the beginning, finding justice for Missy has been our number one priority. We will do that by following the evidence wherever it may lead us."

“It is our sincere belief that Missy’s killer will be caught through collaboration with the public. We believe that somebody who has not yet come forward may have that vital piece of information they have thus far withheld,” Johnson added. “We implore members of the public to please contact the Midlothian Police Department, regardless of how insignificant they may think their information may be."

So on the one hand, he says this killer is going to be caught through collaboration with the public. On the other hand, he says they're going to protect how much information is released.

I get that in theory. But tell me this. How is it collaborating with the public to not publicize that a passerby saw a dark SUV leave the church at 4:30 am? That tidbit is in a December 2016 search warrant affidavit. But hardly anyone knows about it.

Yet they continue to bring up the Altima and only the Altima. The Altima may or may not be involved in the murder. But since no one else was at that church til 4:35, what does that tell us about the person in the SUV leaving at 4:30??? I mean, I understand that we don't have a make and model but wouldn't it be helpful for the public to at least know about it? What if both vehicles are involved, and the combo of the two together would jog someone's memory?

This is what MPD kind of gave us 6 months ago. Bold and italics by me.

http://www.midlothianmirror.com/new...e-are-still-searching-for-missy-bevers-killer

"...despite a joint investigation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Johnson said as of Monday evening there are still no new developments.

'As forensic and investigative technology have advanced significantly over the past several years, so has the ability for law enforcement to recover physical evidence related to violent crimes similar to Missy’s homicide,'stated Johnson in a press release issued Monday, April 17. 'Law enforcement officials, diligently working with professional outside resources as well, are determined to see this case reach imminent closure. We are relentlessly pursuing new leads that have been developed and are availing ourselves of a number of new, highly advanced investigative techniques. While we are reluctant to discuss all of our current investigative details and methods, there is no technology or resource that will not be fully exploited in order to identify the individual or individuals responsible for this senseless murder.'"

He mentioned working with "professional outside resources". I know that video surveillance of the gaits of various POIs was sent to a podiatrist expert to compare against the church video. He was able to exclude a number of those POIs, based on body type and the way they walked, from being SP.

Johnson goes on to say: "Please know that we will continue to judiciously protect the release of information about Missy’s murder so long as this case remains open. To do otherwise would be irresponsible and simply poor police work. Missy was a beloved mother, wife, daughter, and sister. She, her family, and our community deserve our best effort. Since the beginning, finding justice for Missy has been our number one priority. We will do that by following the evidence wherever it may lead us."

“It is our sincere belief that Missy’s killer will be caught through collaboration with the public. We believe that somebody who has not yet come forward may have that vital piece of information they have thus far withheld,” Johnson added. “We implore members of the public to please contact the Midlothian Police Department, regardless of how insignificant they may think their information may be."

So on the one hand, he says this killer is going to be caught through collaboration with the public. On the other hand, he says they're going to protect how much information is released.

I get that in theory. But tell me this. How is it collaborating with the public to not publicize that a passerby saw a dark SUV leave the church at 4:30 am? That tidbit is in a December 2016 search warrant affidavit. But hardly anyone knows about it.

Yet they continue to bring up the Altima and only the Altima. The Altima may or may not be involved in the murder. But since no one else was at that church til 4:35, what does that tell us about the person in the SUV leaving at 4:30??? I mean, I understand that we don't have a make and model but wouldn't it be helpful for the public to at least know about it? What if both vehicles are involved, and the combo of the two together would jog someone's memory?
Do we know who reported the dark SUV leaving at that time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

If LE has a person in mind that did this and only need their DNA, what happened to the old feet on the ground following this person to get a cigarette butt, a cup or soda can of his with his DNA on it?

This is an old way of getting DNA that we've seen for years on TV or in movies. After this length of time, how could this method have failed? LE needs to establish his/her pattern, then step in to collect that discarded item.

Of course, LE may not have any DNA so this is a mute idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5Ws2Resolve