TX TX - The Texarkana Phantom (1946) *UNSOLVED*

Here's my associated case list broken into 4 groups:

A-Canonicals; the cases that were committed by the same killer beyond a reasonable doubt
1-Griffen/Moore murders 1946 March 24-.32 cal. gun in lover's lane
2-Booker/Martin murders 1946 April 13-.32 cal. gun in lover's lane

B-Cases in the same area that are often included in the case
1-James Hollis/Mary Larey assaults 1946 February 23-lover's lane attack by a man wielding a gun like the core murders
2-Virgil/Katherine Starks murder/attack 1946 May 3-.22 cal. gun in their home
3-Earl McSpadden murder 1946 May 7-also mentioned as a possible suspect
4-Virginia Carpenter disappearance 1948 June 1-was previously in school with Booker

C-Cases outside of the area that are sometimes mentioned with the case
1-Elaine Eldridge/Lawrence Hogan murders 1946 October 8-couple killed on a Ft. Lauderdale Florida beach with a .32 cal. gun
2-Mary/Sam Paola murders 1948 October 31-couple killed in their home with a .22 cal. gun like the Starks in Franklin Parish Louisiana, a state that borders both Arkansas and Texas

D-Suspicious cases I would add myself and why
1-Jeanne French murder 1947 February 10- killed in Los Angeles California where at least one suspect confessed to the original murders and she had "Tex" written on her body
2-Mary Reed/Stanley Skridla murder 1948 June 25-a lover's lane gunning down like the core murders and with a .32 cal. gun in Oregon Illinois
3-Thomas Hotard/Audrey Moate murder/disappearance 1956 November 24-lover's lane gunman at Leplace Louisiana, a state that borders both Texas and Arkansas

Mr. and Mrs. Starks and Mr. and Mrs. Paola were shot with a .22 caliber gun which is very common.

Griffin, Moore, Booker, Martin, Eldridge, Hogan, Reed and Skridla were all shot with a .32 caliber weapon which is rather uncommon although not what you would call rare.

I'm reading this book right now. I'll post any 'insights' when I'm finished.

There are notable similarities to the Zodiac. I don't think they are the same perp, but maybe killers who commit these specific types of crimes have similar backgrounds and motives.

Phantom Killer by James Presley

I haven't read Presley's book but I understand that he writes in the view that Swinney did it. He also does an audio commentary on the disc version of the movie where he takes a more neutral stance.

Updated list of named suspects:

1-Youell Swinney
2-Earl McSpadden
3-Henry Tennison
4-Jack Tarrance
5-Ralph Baumann

Does anyone have any more to add?

This killer was sometimes called the Moonlight Murderer as it was asserted that he attacked when the moon was full. That is a myth. Of the 4 attacks that are most often mentioned in connection with the case, only the third, Booker/Martin, was anywhere near a Full Moon, coming two days prior to a Full Moon. Of the other assaults, the first two were closer to a Last Quarter Moon and the last was nearest a New Moon.

Of the four main couple attacks;

All took place within 2 miles of a railroad track and within 3 miles of Route 67.

All the assaults/murders occurred in the 30 hour period starting at 9 PM Friday and ending at 3 AM Sunday.

All the assaults/murders occurred in the 30 hour period starting at 9 PM Friday and ending at 3 AM Sunday.

This could be an indication that the killer had a regular job although it could also just be because that's when, excluding the Starks, the targets of opportunity were out.

Lots if similarities between this case and the Zodiac Killer case. Attacks of couples in cars, parked in secluded areas, by a man with a gun,on weekends,etc. I have compiled a list of similar attacks in various areas of the country dating back to the 1940's

attachment.php
attachment.php
Ralph B. Baumann, 21, confessed to the Phantom murders in Los Angeles in late May of 1946 but wasn't taken very seriously. I wonder what happened to him.

I think that there is a spelling error for Ralph's name, or the wrong middle initial,or wrong age. My Ancestry searches find only 1 single Ralph B. Baumann in the USA, and he was born in 1910 and lived in the Pittsburgh PA area dating back to 1982. He was married to a Margaret M. Baumann. His age certainly does not line up with being 21 in 1946.

Attachments

• baumann3.png
    baumann3.png
    267.7 KB · Views: 131
  • RalphBBaumann.png
    RalphBBaumann.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 127
attachment.php

1-Youell Swinney
2-Earl McSpadden
3-Henry Tennison
4-Jack Tarrance
5-Ralph Baumann

Remove Baumann off the list, his full name by the way is Ralph Barney Baumann

Attachments

• baumann4.png
    baumann4.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 223
I think that there is a spelling error for Ralph's name, or the wrong middle initial,or wrong age. My Ancestry searches find only 1 single Ralph B. Baumann in the USA, and he was born in 1910 and lived in the Pittsburgh PA area dating back to 1982. He was married to a Margaret M. Baumann. His age certainly does not line up with being 21 in 1946.

Depending on what time of the year his birthday fell, this self described suspect would have been born in either 1924 or 1925. I don't have it up right now but I did see a Ralph Baumann (no intial) who was born in one of those years and is now deceased listed on a census type site. As I recall, there wasn't any indication that this guy had any connection to either Texarkana or California so I would have to say that it's unlikely that he is the person who confessed to murders in 1946.

Remove Baumann off the list, his full name by the way is Ralph Barney Baumann

Yes, the Wiki article says investigators didn't really buy his story but I would like to know specifically why before I totally strike him off the list. Did they have proof that he wasn't in Texarkana at the proper times? I think Gary Ridgway was eliminated as a Green River suspect at one time too. Baumann was probably innocent no matter what but Wiki has him up so we check those things out.

Gonzaullas didn't think Swinney did it either, as I understand.

If im not mistaken you can watch a very good and new movie about this crime its called the town that dreaded sundown its really good .

If im not mistaken you can watch a very good and new movie about this crime its called the town that dreaded sundown its really good .

I just watched it this weekend!

I'm reading this book right now. I'll post any 'insights' when I'm finished...

1-Youell Swinney
2-Earl McSpadden
3-Henry Tennison
4-Jack Tarrance
5-Ralph Baumann

The book is so uncompelling I had to force myself to finish.

The Phantom Killer: Unlocking the Mystery of the Texarkana Serial Murders by James Presley

SPOILER ALERT - If you plan on reading the book, skip this post.

Suspects two through five on STANREID's list are either not mentioned or only briefly discussed. The first half of the book covers the victims and the crimes. The second half discusses Youell Swinney. Youell's wife, Peggy, is portrayed as an accomplice, possibly after-the-fact, possibly willing. Her role and motivations are barely explored.

Youell went to the newspaper office when he was released from prison, looking for someone to write a book of his version of events. The editor called James Presley, and gave the phone to Youell. James dismissed the idea, but later wrote the book without Youell's input.

I tend to think Youell is guilty, but I'm not convinced. There is one "inconclusive clue" in the book. PM me and I'll be happy to relay the account (not sure about posting, the book was only released in 2014 and I want to be fair to the author).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back