TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #3

"Cruz’s mother contacted police on Monday after her daughter reported that Cruz said he planned to “do the same thing” as his cousin, according to an affidavit obtained by CNN.

His mother told investigators she was “especially concerned because the suspect is currently on probation, was intoxicated at the time” and because the family lives across the street from an elementary school, the affidavit states.

Cruz’s sister told investigators that while she was giving her brother a ride, he “threatened to shoot her in the head and stated he would ‘shoot the school,’” according to the affidavit.

The mother allegedly overheard a phone conversation in which Cruz was attempting to illegally acquire an AR-15-style assault rifle – the same style used by Ramos to carry out the Uvalde shooting, according to the affidavit."

(MOO I am just glad his family took it seriously)

"Cruz’s mother contacted police on Monday after her daughter reported that Cruz said he planned to “do the same thing” as his cousin, according to an affidavit obtained by CNN.

His mother told investigators she was “especially concerned because the suspect is currently on probation, was intoxicated at the time” and because the family lives across the street from an elementary school, the affidavit states.

Cruz’s sister told investigators that while she was giving her brother a ride, he “threatened to shoot her in the head and stated he would ‘shoot the school,’” according to the affidavit.

The mother allegedly overheard a phone conversation in which Cruz was attempting to illegally acquire an AR-15-style assault rifle – the same style used by Ramos to carry out the Uvalde shooting, according to the affidavit."

(MOO I am just glad his family took it seriously)
What is wrong with these guys?? o_O
I mean, REALLY???
:mad:

“Officer after officer said that they didn’t think there were children inside that wing because it was so quiet,” Lomi Kriel of the ProPublica-Texas Tribune Investigative Unit, who has been analyzing the evidence with a team of reporters, says in the excerpt. “They said that because it was so silent, they didn’t hear any screams or any indication that a child was inside that wing, that they believed it was empty, even though it was the middle of a school day on one of the last days of the semester.”

In the documentary and related reporting, the news organizations draw on the investigative materials to reconstruct the day’s events, giving a detailed analysis of one of the most criticized mass shooting responses in recent history, and providing extraordinary insight into law enforcement officers’ thoughts and actions at the time. Featuring never-before-published interviews conducted by state and federal investigators in the days immediately after the shooting, the documentary identifies critical missteps as the response unfolded; explores the candid fears, regrets and anguish expressed by officers; and underlines the complexity, confusion and tragedy of the day.

“They said that because it was so silent, they didn’t hear any screams or any indication that a child was inside that wing, that they believed it was empty, even though it was the middle of a school day on one of the last days of the semester.”
^^rsbm

IIRC, the commander said he believed the children were dead, and not that the subject classrooms were empty. Nonetheless -- all accounts here are contrary to the brave child that called 911 from her classroom!

^^rsbm

IIRC, the commander said he believed the children were dead, and not that the subject classrooms were empty. Nonetheless -- all accounts here are contrary to the brave child that called 911 from her classroom!
This is heartbreaking.

I could hear a little girl say, ‘Officers come in, we’re in here,’ and she sounded far away so I knew it was in the other room. And she said that once. And then maybe two or three minutes later she said it again. And then I just heard him walk into that other room. And he shot some more. So after that I didn’t hear her no more. And so I had figured he had killed her. Arnulfo Reyes,teacher. Uvalde.

So horrible to be almost unbelievable.

As we were clearing the rooms, we came across a classroom which I thought at first was an art room because I saw a lot of red paint all over the walls and in the far left corner I thought I observed a pile of dirty laundry. … As I continued to stare at the room not being able to figure out what I was looking at, I realized that the red paint was actually blood and the pile of dirty laundry were actually dead bodies. Carlo Guerra, state trooper. Newtown.

“Officer after officer said that they didn’t think there were children inside that wing because it was so quiet,” Lomi Kriel of the ProPublica-Texas Tribune Investigative Unit, who has been analyzing the evidence with a team of reporters, says in the excerpt. “They said that because it was so silent, they didn’t hear any screams or any indication that a child was inside that wing, that they believed it was empty, even though it was the middle of a school day on one of the last days of the semester.”

In the documentary and related reporting, the news organizations draw on the investigative materials to reconstruct the day’s events, giving a detailed analysis of one of the most criticized mass shooting responses in recent history, and providing extraordinary insight into law enforcement officers’ thoughts and actions at the time. Featuring never-before-published interviews conducted by state and federal investigators in the days immediately after the shooting, the documentary identifies critical missteps as the response unfolded; explores the candid fears, regrets and anguish expressed by officers; and underlines the complexity, confusion and tragedy of the day.

Completely unbelievable. So for over an hour no one spoke to anyone at the school about where the classrooms were, etc?! The level of incompetence here is just astounding.

So horrible to be almost unbelievable.

As we were clearing the rooms, we came across a classroom which I thought at first was an art room because I saw a lot of red paint all over the walls and in the far left corner I thought I observed a pile of dirty laundry. … As I continued to stare at the room not being able to figure out what I was looking at, I realized that the red paint was actually blood and the pile of dirty laundry were actually dead bodies. Carlo Guerra, state trooper. Newtown.
That’s phenomenal journalism and photography. Mind numbing. So many of these shootings i had forgotten about.

My youngest child was a first grader when Sandy Hook happened. I remember looking at my very small child and thinking about how terrified those little babies must have been. And nothing changed. It’s gotten worse. I always say if we do nothing when classrooms of FIRST GRADERS are killed, nothing will ever be done.

My kid is now a senior. Applying for colleges. Went to homecoming. All the things the Sandy Hook and now the Uvalde kids will never do. Both Sandy Hook and Uvalde victims were found huddled together dead. And Jesus. The teachers. Who I assume tried reassuring these little people they’d be ok and died trying to protect them.

Thank you! I finally watched the documentary on PBS last night.

I'm in San Antonio, not too far away.
For a small town, Uvalde has lot of police officers.
They assist border patrol and are often engaged in high speed chases etc.
However, I'm sure they thought a mass shooting, "could not happen here".
However, I'm surprised Uvalde PD didn't have their own SWAT team or didn't assemble a SWAT team.

• When Uvalde CISD Police Chief (PA) gets to the scene, he doesn't have his radio
  • Both Uvalde PD and Uvalde CISD Officers respond.
  • Radios don't work inside the building (My comment: This is likely due to the way the emergency radio system was set up about 20 years prior. The Uvalde area is set up for outdoor transmission. https://www.wsj.com/articles/poor-p...l-shooting-response-says-official-11654380529 )
  • Some of the first to respond are shot at and they retreat.
  • They know the subject has an AR-15
  • In interviews with officers, many think it is someone trafficking drugs who is hiding and not a school shooter
  • They don't have the safety equipment to approach a subject with an AR-15. (Uvalde PD appear to be armed with only handguns. Only one officer appears to have a vest. They don't have helmets etc)
  • It's real quiet, some think maybe the students are at lunch. (I don't think there was any consensus on what was going on with the students because they don't have an incident commander. )
  • Communication between the officers on the scene is not good because Uvalde CISD Chief doesn't have his radio and because radio transmission is poor in the school.
  • Uvalde PD radios dispatch, that they have a barricaded subject.

• Around this time in real life, I'm following it on a local MSM network affiliate and I'm reading that there is a barricaded subject at a school and it sounds like it's under control. I thought maybe he was in area where students were not present.

• As more LEO arrive, they eventually realize they don't have an incident commander.
  • No one is in charge.
  • An Uvalde CISD officer arrives and says his wife is shot in the classroom
  • A student calls 911
  • They are also looking for a room key. (MOO and known from my HS principal hubby: School safety officers should carry room keys.)
  • Border Patrol SWAT team arrives with bullet proof vests, helmets, shields and rifles.
  • Communication is hampered between local LE and Border Patrol.
  • They still can't get in the class because they don't have a key
  • Somehow they obtain a key and breach the room
In MOO: Based on interviews, Uvalde CISD Police Chief, (PA) really seems to be bumbling.
Also I didn't see much of Texas DPS in the documentary. 91 Texas state troopers responded to the Uvalde massacre. Their bosses have deflected scrutiny and blame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back