GUILTY TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #3 *Arrests*

Another article
Boyfriend accused of killing Zuzu Verk in West Texas is found guilty of murder | Crime | Dallas News

"The boyfriend of Zuzu Verk, the college student whose remains were found in a shallow grave in West Texas months after she was reported missing in 2016, has been convicted of killing her.
A jury deliberated about five hours Tuesday before finding Robert Fabian guilty on charges of first-degree murder and tampering with or fabricating evidence in the 22-year-old's death, KMID-TV reported.
Fabian, 28, is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday morning, according to Alpine police. He could face up to 99 years or life in prison on the murder charge."

More at link.......................

Day 7

Sentencing is underway in Caldwell County with several speaking Wednesday morning.

Prosecutors told the court they are asking for a life sentence on the murder charge and 20 years on the tampering charge.

The defense team countered saying Fabian has never been in trouble before and with the verdict, both the Verk and Fabian families will be destroyed.

“We’ve got two families who lives will be ruined now,” the defense said Wednesday morning.

Glenn Verk

Glenn Verk was the first to speak in court on Wednesday describing who his daughter was and what it has been like for their family since her disappearance.

He described Wednesday as one, “he had been dreading and looking forward to for a long time.”

Glenn told the court his daughter Zuzu was a naturalist, an ecologist and someone he was very proud of.

However, the disappearance and the search for Zuzu took a toll on the entire family, he said Wednesday morning.

The father said Zuzu was a very independent person but when they stopped hearing from her, it was concerning.

The Verk family then traveled to Alpine to find out what was going on and the massive search for the Sul Ross State University student began.

Glenn told the court that many had hope they would find his daughter, but as the investigation escalated it began to feel like, “they were searching for a body.”

He also credited the entire town of Alpine, as many volunteered to search for his daughter and were always supportive of the Verk family, with the exception of Fabian, who never joined the search.

Glenn said it was, “depressing but encouraging,” in reference to the city getting behind them in the search.

As you may recall, the search went on for weeks and months as investigators and volunteers covered each piece of Brewster County, as well as neighboring counties, in search of Zuzu.

Despite the support, Glenn said it was “depressing” but the family held out hope as long as they could.

That was until February when a set of remains were found in a remote area of Brewster County, which were eventually identified as Zuzu.

“On one hand it was relief,” Glenn said about the remains being found, “a real bitter sweet relief.”

Glenn then spoke again of his daughter, the impact she had on the community and how he will remember her.

“I don’t know if I can describe Zuzu completely, but I know she touched a lot of lives,” Glenn told the court Wednesday. “The work has lost a special person and I am so proud of who she was.”

Felix Venegas

Next the defense called a friend of Fabian’s to speak in court on Wednesday.

Felix Venegas, who knew Fabian in high school, told the court Fabian was a friendly person who had an outgoing, bubbly personality.

He also said Fabian was a really good student who consistently had good grades, someone that never got into arguments or fights and someone who never got into trouble.

Lorenzo Barcena

Next was Lorenzo Barcena who had known Fabian since they were in fifth grade together.

Barcena said Fabian was someone he could count on.

“He was a good guy,” Barcena said. “Whenever I was feeling down, he would pick me back up.”

He echoed the statements from Venegas said Fabian was a great student and someone who was never in trouble and was always supportive to him.

Furthermore, the friend told the court that Fabian was very close with his family and would help support them financially.

He recalled only one conversation with Fabian about Zuzu, noting that what took place was “extraordinary” and that he was still in shock.

Leticia Fabian

Finally, the defense called Fabian’s mother, Leticia Fabian to speak to the court.

Leticia said her son was hard working, family oriented and someone who was taught manners in his life.

She told the court Robert didn’t have a father figure growing up and got his first job when he was 13 or 14 to help support the family financially.

He continued to work until he got a new job at a pharmacy in college, according to his mother.

She also stated that Robert was an excellent student who received plenty of scholarship offers and is the only person in the family to have graduated from college.

“I am very proud of him,” Leticia Fabian said in court Wednesday.

Leticia went on to say that Fabian was never in trouble and was always involved in activities like football or golf saying, “everyone loved him.”

She then became very emotional as she described a time when she became ill and Robert helped her with treatments and speaking with doctors.

“I am very proud of my son because today I am alive because of him,” Leticia said.

She also noted that the entire family will remain close to him.

Day 7: Fabian to be sentenced Wednesday

I followed this case from the beginning on WS as a "guest reader." (I don't call any guests or non-posters "lurkers.") I always suspected that RF had strangled ZV. It seems such a common method of murder used by men on their female partners, from real life thugs to Shakespeare's fictional prince, Othello, who strangles his wife, Desdemona. I believe strangulation is common among serial killers, also, both for means of torture and control, and means of murder.

It's been established that Zuzu was trying finally to end her on-off relationship with RF, which is why she was transferring universities. Court testimony indicates RF was upset about this. Out of curiosity, I looked up intimate partner strangulation and found this interesting recent article. MOO.

The Silent Control of Strangulation

"Unfortunately, leaving an abuser is one of the most dangerous times in a victim’s life; it’s an insidious catch-22 that leaves countless women stuck in a cycle of violence. Abusers will employ a variety of tactics to maintain power and control, such as emotional abuse, isolation, intimidation, and physical violence. If an abuser is particularly conniving, he’ll favor physical abuse that leaves few marks on his victim. This is where non-fatal strangulation comes into play."

"Most often perpetrated by men against women, non-fatal strangulation is a method of gaining control over a victim by cutting off or limiting air supply."

"Plus, most abusers do not strangle to kill — they strangle to show they can kill. This makes it such a powerful tool for an abuser; even if a woman is seeking out professional help, her abuser can continue to strangle her without creating physical marks."

"A victim of IPV is 750 percent more likely to be killed by their partner when previously strangled by that same person. Yet, the nature of non-fatal strangulation is difficult to prosecute due to its lack of visible evidence. For an abuser, this is another benefit of non-fatal strangulation, particularly since the criminal justice system favors cases with physical evidence."

So happy at the verdict and sentence. I have been really busy this week but I tried to keep one eye on the case. Zuzu has her justice, sending lots of love to the Verk family. Let us all remember Zuzu and the #ZuzuEffect. Do something nice in her memory.

CE your turn next

So happy at the verdict and sentence. I have been really busy this week but I tried to keep one eye on the case. Zuzu has her justice, sending lots of love to the Verk family. Let us all remember Zuzu and the #ZuzuEffect. Do something nice in her memory.

CE your turn next

Glad you mentioned the Zuzu Effect Skibaboo.
I just saw this article that I don't think was posted during the trial:

May 06, 2019

ALPINE, Texas (BIG 2 / FOX 24) - In the small town of Alpine, residents and local businesses are showing their support for the Verk family and remembering Zuzu.

Longtime resident Lari Quigg says it's something the community has done for the past three years.

"Her love for West Texas and the Davis Mountains. She just loved it out here. She loved our wildlife, she loved our ecosystem," said Quigg.

With the Robert Fabian trial currently underway, the close-knit community is reminding the Verk family that they have their back.

"I wanted them to know that we still care and that we're going through this with them," said Quigg.

That is why Quigg and other locals are wearing Zuzu's favorite color, green, at work. Many people and businesses are also posting pictures on social media with the hash tag, "Justice for Zuzu".

"It's the Zuzu Effect. It's an absolute feeling of love and comfort here," said Quigg.

The Zuzu Effect in Alpine

There was also a video with the above article:

FIRST ON CBS7: Chris Estrada sentenced for role in Zuzu Verk case

ALPINE, Tx. (KOSA) -- Chris Estrada has been sentenced to serve prison time after pleading no contest to charges related to the death of Zuzu Verk.

In court on Friday morning Estrada was sentenced to serve three-and-a-half years in jail for tampering and one year for evading arrest, according to Randy Jackson of Alpine. Both sentences are set to run concurrently.

Estrada received credit for 123 days already served in jail.

FIRST ON CBS7: Chris Estrada sentenced for role in Zuzu Verk case

ALPINE, Tx. (KOSA) -- Chris Estrada has been sentenced to serve prison time after pleading no contest to charges related to the death of Zuzu Verk.

In court on Friday morning Estrada was sentenced to serve three-and-a-half years in jail for tampering and one year for evading arrest, according to Randy Jackson of Alpine. Both sentences are set to run concurrently.

Estrada received credit for 123 days already served in jail.

I hope Estrada's fate, and that of others sentenced for their roles in aiding murderers (both in planning / executing and in the coverup) is widely publicized. More people need to question what kind of "friends" they have and what the appropriate "help" is when a "friend" commits a crime. The only help a "friend" of mine who had committed a serious crime would get from me is an immediate ride to the nearest police station, or if I was afraid of the friend, it would be a phone call to LE. I wonder how Estrada would feel about a "friend" who "helped" the murderer if one of his loved ones were ever murdered. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back