Uber-like service for women only

I find it amusing how some of us can be civil and say how it's our opinion only and we value all opinions, yet others call those opposing opinions "lame brained" and "sad".. Not sure why I'm surprised. And yes, I'm aware that calling us "lame brained" is your opinion. Just a bummer that it has to devolve to what is, in effect, name calling.

Totally agree 🙌

And since I know it's coming - Basically if someone agrees with the "lame brained" plan, it's the same thing, as I know that's the next post. Defending, saying the plan is lame brained, not the posters who agree with it..

I find it amusing how some of us can be civil and say how it's our opinion only and we value all opinions, yet others call those opposing opinions "lame brained" and "sad".. Not sure why I'm surprised. And yes, I'm aware that calling us "lame brained" is your opinion. Just a bummer that it has to devolve to what is, in effect, name calling.

Totally agree ��

And since I know it's coming - Basically if someone agrees with the "lame brained" plan, it's the same thing, as I know that's the next post. Defending, saying the plan is lame brained, not the posters who agree with it..

I called it a lame brained plan, because it’s based on no sound legal advice what so ever. It’s a clear violation of US and Massachusetts anti-discrimination laws. It’s also a lame brained plan, because discrimination agains certain customers and employees is not a very good business plan, even if discrimination was legal.

But civil rights lawyers said it would be difficult for such car service to win a discrimination lawsuit.

“Companies that provide a service need to accept potential customers without discriminating,” said Dahlia C. Rudavsky, is a partner in the Boston firm of Messing, Rudavsky & Weliky.

“There’s nothing wrong with advertising particularly to a female customer base,” Rudavsky said. “But if a company goes further and refuses to pick up a man, I think they’d potentially run into legal trouble.

Refusing to hire men as drivers could be an even clearer legal problem, said Sulman.

“To limit employees to one gender, you have to have what the law calls a bona fide occupational qualification. And that’s a really strict standard,” he said. “The law’s really tough on that. For gender, it’s not enough to say, ‘we really just want to have a female here because our customers prefer that to feel safer.’ ”

Uber, but for women? Probably illegal, experts say

It's obviously much more important to protect the rights of men to not be discriminated against, than it is to protect the safety and well-being of women and children.

It's obviously much more important to protect the rights of men to not be discriminated against, than it is to protect the safety and well-being of women and children.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

I suppose one could argue that women and children need a "safe space", in a manner of speaking.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Ben's statement was about giving up liberty to the government. In this case, the liberty being given up to government is the liberty of a private business to hire employees as it chooses and limit its clientele to those of its own choosing. I see no liberty in that.

I suppose one could argue that women and children need a "safe space", in a manner of speaking.

Yes, one could argue that, couldn't one? There are many groups all over the country arguing for segregated "safe spaces."

I have a niece that uses uber all the time. I have tried to convince her not to use it. However, as a male I don't think I should be denied employment or service. Riders should have the right to request a female driver.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back