UK band Viola Beach killed in Swedish car crash

They were not late for a flight, they were headed to another gig. I think they had actually only been in the country for one or two days. I may remember that wrong though, but I am certain they were on their way to another gig.

I can still see a trying to get ahead scenario causing this. But unfortunately I too think that we'll never know for sure. Everyone who could know, is dead...

One thing that's bugging me - why did it take 15 minutes for anyone to call the police? Several drivers must have seen them go over the edge, why did nobody call immediately?!

Here's a video that may shed some light. Starting at 2:11 is reconstructs the cctv and also quotes two witnesses. It seems they were completely stunned by what happened and thought the bridge keeper witnessed it.

http://tv.aftonbladet.se/abtv/articles/113497

So very sad.

I read that this gig was the first one outside of England and that Viola Beach was an upcoming band. That would have been really exciting for them. My guess is, they landed in Arlanda outside Stockholm had to drive to Norrköping a 2 hours drive by car. I also assume there was a soundcheck before the gig. After the gig they had to catch a plane to anotherone back in England. Excitement and exhaustion would be a fair guess. The manager of the band was in charge to make everything click, the boys wouldn´t be so experienced in touring out of country so everything was in the managers hand. I have never seen a bridge like that in sweden and would be surprised to encounter one, Winter in Sweden is pitch black if there is no snow. I really think this was a tragic accident and not a suicide.

Here's a video that may shed some light. Starting at 2:11 is reconstructs the cctv and also quotes two witnesses. It seems they were completely stunned by what happened and thought the bridge keeper witnessed it.

http://tv.aftonbladet.se/abtv/articles/113497

So very sad.

So very sad, indeed. My heart breaks for those young men and their families.

It was interesting to see that the band's car did stop beside the other cars before going through the barriers. Clearly, IMO, there was intention in skirting the line. I can't imagine the driver understood what they were being stopped for. How horrific!

RIP Viola Beach

"The members of British band Viola Beach would not have suffered when they were killed in a car crash in Sweden, their inquest has heard.

All four members of the Warrington band - Kris Leonard, River Reeves, Tomas Lowe and Jack Dakin - were killed alongside their manager Craig Tarry when their hire car plunged 25 metres off a bridge into a canal."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...not-suffered-inquest-hears.html#ixzz4S99YEeYO

I hope this was the case. Their families are in my prayers as they face their first Christmas and New Year without their loved ones.

Everything points to the driver acting deliberately. Appalling and incomprehensible, but no other explanation makes sense.

the moments leading up to the crash remain a mystery.

The inquest was told that a technical examination found there was nothing wrong with the car, the signalling or barrier system, or the procedure for raising the bridge, and the road was wet but not frozen with ice.

No trace alcohol or drugs was found in the blood of Mr Tarry, who was driving the group back to their hotel after playing at a festival for upcoming bands.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stan...3415111.html?amp?client=ms-android-sonymobile

The bridge has been in place since the 1960ies with the same set-up and this is the first accident of this kind that has happened, and it's a very busy bridge (with a minimun of 3,6 million cars passing the bridge), so I don't think it's the construction of the bridge and the warning systems that are faulty. The road to the bridge has two lanes and there were idling cars in both and the driver of the band's car tried to pass those cars on the road shoulder. If the driver had followed the traffic rules the accident would never have happened. It's very possible that the driver hadn't been sleeping for about 20 hours, as the band had arrived to Sweden on Saturday morning and had gone to the venue where they were to play, and had left directly after the end of the performance in the middle of the night. Perhaps the autopsy and toxicology reports will give a clue to the driver's behaviour that night.
Hi
Late to the party here but just stumbled across this and I-have a personal family connection to the driver and band manager Craig Tarry
Toxicology showed Nothing in his system at all - they were all clean of drugs and alcohol
The lights weren’t working and from the coroner enquiry it would appear that in the dark of night to travellers from a different country who have never come across this type of bridge before, the traffic stationary was in the first lane and they appeared to slow down and drive what they thought was around the traffic starting to conveyne in the second lane, thus doing an overtake and not realising that they were never going to beat the bridge because it lifted up- there are many moving bridges in Warrington and once the barrier starts to go down there are then a couple of minutes before the bridge actually moves so it’s suspected that maybe they thought that they could beat the bridge, not realising that it was a totally different set up . Once they went over , it was immediate impact with their heads thus decapitating .
So young and so very tragic. God bless them all x

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back