GUILTY UK - Brianna Ghey, 16, murdered in Culcheth Linear Park, Feb 2023 *2 teenagers charged*

I agree, usually when a school accepts another student they know exactly why a student has been expelled.

Sometimes however I believe, and this is going back a few years from when I was a school governor so it may have changed now, it was my understanding if a school has spaces the local authority will push that school quite hard to accept the child, however that's usually only if the school has appropriate provision in place. Either way the school and usually some members of the governing body of that school will know. The safeguarding officer would have to have been involved.
But would it have been straightforward to send Jenkinson back to Culcheth?
In the press reports over the last few days, the Head at Birchwood was supposed to be in the process of doing that because SJ's attendance had dropped to 80%. ( I just didn't get the impression that the LA was involved in the latter)

Something i have never understood with these debates, going back decades to when I was at school, is what is the purpose of an expulsion that just sends the problem to some other new school?

I get a transfer to a school with better resourcing for the issue, but as we see here, it feels like the problem was being passed around

But would it have been straightforward to send Jenkinson back to Culcheth?
In the press reports over the last few days, the Head at Birchwood was supposed to be in the process of doing that because SJ's attendance had dropped to 80%. ( I just didn't get the impression that the LA was involved in the latter)
Yes, interesting. No I wouldn't have thought it would have been straightforward. I've not read much about her attendance, need to catch up a little. But the amount of people who must have been involved in her education, safeguarding leads, attendance officers etc. How Birchwood could not have known her previous school history unbelievable, I would say, personally.

Something i have never understood with these debates, going back decades to when I was at school, is what is the purpose of an expulsion that just sends the problem to some other new school?

I get a transfer to a school with better resourcing for the issue, but as we see here, it feels like the problem was being passed around
From my work these students are classed as PARE students (pupil at risk of exclusion) by transferring the student to a new school they go on a ‘managed move’ - this move means they are still classed as being on roll at both schools - this process allows for the new school to ultimately terminate the move at anytime - the student would then be solely back on Culceths roll.

Whilst it does pass the issue to the new school - these managed moves work about 60% of the time - sometimes a fresh start is all the children would need.

Managed transfers are usually for misdemeanours such as fighting, persistent bad behaviour m etc - poisoning another student which resulted in hospital treatment is way beyond this.

"Scarlett Jenkinson's mum may want to hide -

but she doesn't have to,

writes a mother from her village.

We just want her to be OK after her daughter was sentenced for Brianna Ghey's murder.

By Anonymous"

Brianna Ghey's brave mother Esther was among tearful mourners who joined a vigil this afternoon to mark one year since the transgender pupil was stabbed to death in a park by two teenage killers.

Members of the community rocked by the senseless murder gathered at the Golden Square Shopping Centre in Warrington to pay their respects and support Brianna's family.

Flowers, candles and a painting of Brianna were laid outside the shopping centre, with many mourners wearing her favourite colour pink in tribute to the teen.

Speaking to the congregation, Brianna's tearful mother spoke of how her daughter had 'taught me so much and gave me so much happiness and love'.

She added: 'I would like to thank you all for coming here today and paying respect to Brianna. I hope wherever she is now she can feel the love and respect we have for her today.'

Attachments

• IMG_6290.jpeg
    IMG_6290.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 7
There were restrictions on reporting this trial (well, naming KR or his link to ER) until today's sentencing but a local paper in Wigan 'erroneously' reported this at the start of February. It was taken down after a day or two.

"In 2008, he was given a suspended prison sentence for exposure in front of a girl aged 16.
In 2012, he was given a three-year community order for exposure after being seen carrying out a sex act on himself behind the wheel of his vehicle while stopped at a red light."

It's very worrying that he presumably passed DBS/CRB checks in order to be a kickboxing instructor.
(Unless there isn't actually a legal requirement for this and therefore he can run his own club and just not mention it, but that seems a worrying loophole in itself if correct.)

The unmasking of the father of one of Brianna Ghey's teenage killers as a convicted paedophile deals yet another blow to what at first glance resembles any ordinary middle class family.

Kyle Ratcliffe, whose 16-year-old son Eddie is serving a minimum of 20 years behind bars for the brutal murder of the transgender schoolgirl, exposed himself to girls in his Maserati days before his son went on trial.

He also admitted secretly filming a young girl undressing at a water park last summer and carried out internet searches during his son's trial relating to sex acts involving schoolchildren.

The horrific offending of both father and son belies the Ratcliffes' comfortable existence in a semi-detached house in Leigh, Greater Manchester - purchased in 2015 for £36,000 under the Right To Buy scheme.

Both parents worked, with Ratcliffe employed as the manager of a truck company while serving as company director of a gym.

His long-term partner Alice Hemmings, also 36, comes from an artistic background and works as a graphic designer. She was just 18 when she and Ratcliffe had their first child, a son, while Eddie was born the following year.

"Inquest

into death of murdered Brianna Ghey,

will examine if she was put at risk

when one of her killers was moved into her class,

coroner reveals."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics