Recovered/Located UK - Cardiff - 3 Women & 2 Men Missing, leaving nightclub approx 2am, Newport, 4 March 2023

You may be right. Though if SL was driving to the bar at 22:00 that would mean they weren't at the bar very long. For some reason I thought they'd been there longer than that.
I am not sure the girls were in there long either. I thought they went elsewhere and then went to the Muffler bar to use the toilet. Thats the tragic thing they hadnt met the boys long and so much happened :(

I am not sure the girls were in there long either. I thought they went elsewhere and then went to the Muffler bar to use the toilet. Thats the tragic thing they hadnt met the boys long and so much happened :(

I hadn't heard the part about them going to the bar for a bathroom break; that would be a really sad twist of fate.

We probably won't know this until the inquest, and SL was found long enough after the accident that alcohol may not have shown on blood tests anyway, but I also wonder if either group (the men or women) had a designated driver for the night.

I hadn't heard the part about them going to the bar for a bathroom break; that would be a really sad twist of fate.

We probably won't know this until the inquest, and SL was found long enough after the accident that alcohol may not have shown on blood tests anyway, but I also wonder if either group (the men or women) had a designated driver for the night.
If SL was driving at 10 and RJ was the driver when it happened then no they did not

If SL was driving at 10 and RJ was the driver when it happened then no they did not

Do we know for sure that RJ was the driver at the time of the accident? I wasn't aware that police had released that information yet; I believe a news article said RJ driving, but it's possible that could have been an assumption on the writer's part because it was his car.

Do we know for sure that RJ was the driver at the time of the accident? I wasn't aware that police had released that information yet; I believe a news article said RJ driving, but it's possible that could have been an assumption on the writer's part because it was his car.
a news article said he was driving yes but I do not believe it was an assumption. In the ctv from the garage a smaller person was driving and Shane is pretty big

a news article said he was driving yes but I do not believe it was an assumption. In the ctv from the garage a smaller person was driving and Shane is pretty big

SL is muscular and stocky, but is he very tall? I've never been able to tell from the photos that have been released.

In the CCTV image I've never been entirely sure what I'm seeing:

car-cctv.jpg

To me it has always looked like one of two things: Either the driver was bending forwards and we're seeing the top of his (seemingly bald) head; or the driver is a very muscular man with huge arms and shoulders, wearing a dark vest, and he's leaning towards the driver's side window with his head obscured behind the window pillar.

I wish the CCTV was clearer.

It looks like RJ was driving - as directly quoted from Police in this article.

'The offences for which the man has been arrested are not connected to the fatal collision which happened at 2.03am on Saturday 4th March which resulted in the deaths of the driver Rafel Jeanne and passengers Darcy Ross and Eve Smith.

It looks like RJ was driving - as directly quoted from Police in this article.

'The offences for which the man has been arrested are not connected to the fatal collision which happened at 2.03am on Saturday 4th March which resulted in the deaths of the driver Rafel Jeanne and passengers Darcy Ross and Eve Smith.

How on earth did I miss that... thank you, that settles that question. An earlier article had named RJ as the driver without a direct quote from the police, but you don't get much more official than the police spokesperson.

Even knowing it was RJ in the driving seat, I still can't tell who or what I'm seeing in the CCTV still.

How on earth did I miss that... thank you, that settles that question. An earlier article had named RJ as the driver without a direct quote from the police, but you don't get much more official than the police spokesperson.

Even knowing it was RJ in the driving seat, I still can't tell who or what I'm seeing in the CCTV still.
I completely agree with you. I had to read that sentence (in the article) twice!!

Wasn't there a third man who was dropped off home before the accident? I had the impression that he had been the driver up to that point, but I can't remember if or where that was stated.
It seems that SL drove to the pub and then the other guy drove until he was dropped off on way home and then Raef took over for the final part .

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has provided an update on its investigation into police actions following the missing person reports relating to five people who were later found with a car off the A48 in the St Mellons area of Cardiff.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has provided an update on its investigation into police actions following the missing person reports relating to five people who were later found with a car off the A48 in the St Mellons area of Cardiff.

Eve Smith, Darcy Ross, and Rafel Jeanne sadly died in a road traffic collision; Sophie Russon and Shane Loughlin were seriously injured.

Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hobrough said:

‘’Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of Darcy, Eve and Rafel who tragically lost their lives that night, as well as Sophie and Shane and their loved ones.

“We understand how vital the findings of this investigation will be to the individuals and families affected by this event, and to the wider community.

“The IOPC has led this investigation, and we’re grateful for their prompt and thorough response to such a complex matter with this latest update.

“We will continue to co-operate with their investigation in an open and transparent manner.”

Eve Smith, Darcy Ross, and Rafel Jeanne sadly died in a road traffic collision; Sophie Russon and Shane Loughlin were seriously injured.

Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hobrough said:

‘’Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of Darcy, Eve and Rafel who tragically lost their lives that night, as well as Sophie and Shane and their loved ones.

“We understand how vital the findings of this investigation will be to the individuals and families affected by this event, and to the wider community.

“The IOPC has led this investigation, and we’re grateful for their prompt and thorough response to such a complex matter with this latest update.

“We will continue to co-operate with their investigation in an open and transparent manner.”

"We have served a notice at the level of misconduct on a Gwent police officer concerning their review of the missing persons’ logs and relevant risk assessments"

I said it all along...

"We have served a notice at the level of misconduct on a Gwent police officer concerning their review of the missing persons’ logs and relevant risk assessments"

I said it all along...
I just desperately hope that the three who died had injuries incompatible with life, that the interval of inaction by police would not have made a difference in their outcome. :(

MOO

Unfortunately that's the best we can now hope for. That people weren't left to die slowly whilst the police took it easy.

Who knows if there would have been any survivors left had the pressure not been ramped up for the police to to look harder.

Have we had clarification yet regarding whether it was the police or members of the public that eventually located the vehicle?

Unfortunately that's the best we can now hope for. That people weren't left to die slowly whilst the police took it easy.

Who knows if there would have been any survivors left had the pressure not been ramped up for the police to to look harder.

Have we had clarification yet regarding whether it was the police or members of the public that eventually located the vehicle?
The easiest way of putting it is that there is a dispute over who was there first.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofamusic
Back