UK UK - Fred Handford, 56, New Mills, Derbyshire, March 1976

One loud fact in the book .. Janet likes to openly admit to any wrongdoing (theft, adulterous affairs, even murder) with what appears to be abject humility but without exception goes on to justify her terrible behaviour by making herself the true victim in the situation. It smells of narcissistic sociopathy.. and a clever ruse, if it is one. In which case she got away with a year and two days in jail for grand theft of the 50,000 pounds and possibly a very profitable murder, too.

Idk. I can't just dismiss her as being delusional, since that perception, to me, seems like exactly what she is -trying- to achieve.

And yup, he's probably down a mineshaft or in a peat bog or something.. I think the whole field debacle could have been an intentional misdirection..

In chapter 46 she says she doesn't even remember where she buried him. Oh well.

There is absolutely no continuity in this thing. In Chapter 47 (dated September 2011) she said she hadn't seen Mary in two years. However, in Chapter 43 she had just spent a week with Mary in Spring 2011 and in Chapter 40 she dined with her in July 2010 and she also met her in May 2010 (chapter 37). In chapter 38 the reason that Janet postpones her departure to Scotland until 19th July is because she wants to attend Mary's 50th birthday party but in chapter 40 what they're actually celebrating on July 18th is Janet's 60th birthday. JMO but Mary does not exist.

(Do you say that you had amazing prescience if you tell your husband that you've decided to visit a friend and then you do so?)

I think some of the conversations with "Mary" might actually be conversations with the ghostwriter.
Her twitter https://twitter.com/HelensStory
She says she spent three years writing this and never caught all this nonsense that I spotted just browsing her book for a couple of hours.

Attachments

• excerpt3.png
    excerpt3.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 7
In chapter 46 she says she doesn't even remember where she buried him. Oh well.

There is absolutely no continuity in this thing. In Chapter 47 (dated September 2011) she said she hadn't seen Mary in two years. However, in Chapter 43 she had just spent a week with Mary in Spring 2011 and in Chapter 40 she dined with her in July 2010 and she also met her in May 2010 (chapter 37). In chapter 38 the reason that Janet postpones her departure to Scotland until 19th July is because she wants to attend Mary's 50th birthday party but in chapter 40 what they're actually celebrating on July 18th is Janet's 60th birthday. JMO but Mary does not exist.

(Do you say that you had amazing prescience if you tell your husband that you've decided to visit a friend and then you do so?)

I think some of the conversations with "Mary" might actually be conversations with the ghostwriter.
Her twitter https://twitter.com/HelensStory
She says she spent three years writing this and never caught all this nonsense that I spotted just browsing her book for a couple of hours.

It would have been really funny if the cops had found the body someplace she said it was. :giggle:

Am I a Murderer? - Wednesday 10 Oct 9pm "Am I a Murderer?" was on ITV about this case, just watched it and looked to see if there was a thread here - of course there was!

I'm really not sure what to make of it; from the programme alone, it was inconclusive, I felt a distrust and dislike of her (note that I am NOT at all perceptive and am usually more inclined to believe people until proven otherwise), but I'm not sure whether to think she's lying, or really is a murderer, perhaps having done something different to what her "memories" suggest. If she's telling the truth in how she reached these memories, it's certainly possible that some of it is true, but I've heard enough about false memories to be suspicious with no corroborating evidence. And yet, to seemingly spontaneously accuse oneself of murder, without having been prompted into creating false memories, is not something I've heard of before (most cases of self-accusation I've heard of involve repeated interrogations and "you did XYZ, didn't you?" questioning techniques).

Reading over the rest of this thread, I gather her book makes her seem even less pleasant and believeable than the impression I'd got from the programme; I don't think I'll give her my money to read further into it, but it certainly makes me sceptical. Can't quite understand the motivation if it's not genuine belief in her memories though, attention-seeking, maybe?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back