GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only think, without having any specifics laid out, that the only thing that doesn't add up is motive.

It's not the jury's responsibility to find motive, or even to wonder whether he presents as a murderer.

I would like to know what the judge said about the defence introducing accidental death into their closing speech. He shouldn't have ignored it.

I agree with everything you've said, Tortoise, and wondered if the implied/open rebuke to defence counsel meant it wasn't said in open court. But then how would it reach the jury?

There were so many other less fundamental bits I'd have loved Judge B to recap in the excellent way he did with the ludicrous 'Are you GGHW?' exchange. I hope the jury recall the bizarrely detached replies IS gave so often, for example - was he angry when he realised Joe and Nick had dumped Helen's body in the cesspit, no he was 'annoyed'.

ETA In fact 'angry' was an odd word too, though I assume Trimmer chose it deliberately. You might have expected 'Not angry, no, distraught, desperate!'

Sorry random reply to previous post!! Haven't quite got the hang of this !11

Morning all. Hope there is Justice for Helen and Boris today. And I am beginning to realise that I will not be reading all your interesting and entertaining posts for much longer! :sigh:

On the MG diagnosis and the coincidence of having been able to get some critical illness insurance.

Whilst we don't have a date for taking out the policy and are assuming it's in his 30s, pre 96, looking at the MG resources online in that era in the UK it wouldn't have been a walk in the park to get the diagnosis and also not from your GP, of course.

Secondly, many sufferers would indeed get a rumbling of worry and not feeling well for a good while before any "Myasthenic crisis" happens and you end up in hospital, very poorly ( as he has described.)

eg. here's one of many sources

Because symptoms usually improve with rest, your muscle weakness may come and go. However, myasthenia gravis symptoms tend to progress over time, usually reaching their worst within a few years after the onset of the disease.

maybe he was prompted, by feeling unwell off & on, to take out the cover some years prior ? In which case the insurance company probably can't chase him down at all.

Let's not forget that Joe had also read Helens book..... [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And when IS confessed to being the famous GGHW, who of course Joe knew all about, I’m surprised IS didn’t say that Joe asked for his autograph

I think today might be the day. If not we're all probably going to develop bad cases of Harry Styles with all this sitting around waiting. Unlike IS we won't claim it is arse cancer though!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Good morning all.

I'm hopeful for a result today. I think I was expecting too much for an answer yesterday, I totally forgot he's been charged on more than one offence, plus they'll have had to elect a foreperson and had lunch and a wee or two.

Morning all, here's hoping today is the day.

I have a question for you knowledgeable folk. When called for jury service how far are you expected to travel, do they call people just from the county/town that the case is heard?

I have done a Google search but could not find an answer, I probably did not look well enough [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Munchausens Syndrome by Proxy would fit this????

It's incredibly rare for men to be afflicted by Munchausens, although obviously not nonexistent. The overriding feature of Munchausens is to garner sympathy and attention. And also to appear a martyr to the support and care given to the sick/mentally unwell individual.

This looks to be a case of drugging someone for control, not attention. Nor to give care, since none was given as far as we are aware. He also ended up killing her, likely by suffocation and concealing the body. Not in an aim to garner more sympathy and attention due to the sad demise of the individual they have been 'oh so lovingly' caring for, but to nick (no pun intended) her money.

i.e. This doesn't fit Munchausens for me at all.

Morning all. Hope there is Justice for Helen and Boris today. And I am beginning to realise that I will not be reading all your interesting and entertaining posts for much longer! :sigh:

Yes, Annad, I feel the same! Even just following/lurking on this thread has made me feel part of a very special group of people the like of which I doubt I will ever meet again. My heartfelt thanks to each one for everything you've done and said here to bring closure and justice to the awful final hours of our lovely Helen and Boris. Thank you also for the laughter and the tears I've shed along the way.

13042010030.jpg

If the link works, this is my little pet, "Amy", who is loved to bits just as Boris was.

ETA ...I'm also going to miss the afternoon naps that enabled me to stay up into the wee small hours here in Australia so as to 'be there' as events unfolded!

Morning from rainy Cheshire.

RSBM.
Morning neighbour! <waves>

Good morning everyone. I followed Helen's missing threads but stayed away from the trial threads until the Nick/Joe episode. I was outraged by that tale and it brought me to the trial threads. I've tried to keep up as much as possible but have rarely posted.

I've very much enjoyed seeing everyone's pet pics. I really miss having a dog but my lifestyle isn't suited to having a pet, not just now anyway. Maybe in a few more years. So in the meantime I admire other people's!

Hoping for a verdict today.

Morning all, here's hoping today is the day.

I have a question for you knowledgeable folk. When called for jury service how far are you expected to travel, do they call people just from the county/town that the case is heard?

I have done a Google search but could not find an answer, I probably did not look well enough [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Each court has a catchment area - I don't know exactly how that works. When I lived in south London I did jury service in Croydon Crown Court, which involved a short train journey and a walk. They paid travel expenses.

Today, it's Prison Bean.

attachment.php

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 138
I hope today is the day, but had a thought last night of all that has been discussed on these threads during the trial.
All the questions we have had, all the double checking back on what was said, dates, times and so on.
It must be the same for the jury surely?
Would this be the first opportunity they have had to properly discuss everything as a group? I was hoping for a rapid decision, but can appreciate it may take them some time to go through all the evidence and lies they have heard these past weeks.
Only my own thoughts but it has brought me a measure of patience for the verdict. Let it take as long as it takes, I can wait.

Good morning from not-quite-sunny Suffolk, loved seeing the pics of your pets - here's my girly having a snooze on the sofa last night Sleepy Jack - Copy.jpg

You'd be proud of me - first at court! Loads of police here milling around for some reason!

Good morning all.

I'm hopeful for a result today. I think I was expecting too much for an answer yesterday, I totally forgot he's been charged on more than one offence, plus they'll have had to elect a foreperson and had lunch and a wee or two.

Yes, in my opinion yesterday was always going to be too quick.

From my limited experience on a jury there are always some who will want to enact the due process of following the judge’s directions and considering the evidence.

Nothing wrong with that. They are fully aware that delivering a guilty verdict will put someone, no matter how odious, behind bars for a very long time. So there is more need for some jurors to walk away knowing they have a clear conscious in that convicting a person they have followed the process fully..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769