GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Alyce for all the IS information. And wishing you all a happy Mother's day xx

An appeal would not surprise me but I think he would have to have good grounds for the appeal...and I'm not sure he has any. He couldn't have had a better defence barrister than Simon Russell Flint....just the hours spent summing up shows that.

Anyhow, my rose and the Lily of the Valley are both planted in the memory corner of my garden (making garden sound huge but it isn't). Also put a little ornament of a dachshund there that I bought in a charity shop. ..it's right by the Lily of the Valley.

The rose is called "Faithful Friend" and is in memory of my lovely Ragdoll cat (Alfie) who died in November last year very suddenly and unexpectedly. Photo of him below.

11de5906532150ff28dd9d0a45a6b35f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a really vivid dream about Hartwell Lodge last night, it was awful. Although in the dream I was photographing the whole place for the benefit of this thread so clearly I have internalised you lot well.

It's so hard to think that this time last year Helen was likely enjoying the longer days and new shoots of spring with no idea that she would be dead within a fortnight at the hands of the man she loved. It still seems so senseless.

@Florrie. Love your Alfie. I had a Seal point Birman very similar who died almost 2 years ago very suddenly. Appeared fine on the Thursday and by the following Tuesday had to have PTS. Horrible time. Still have her sister though - a tabby Seal - now 19 years 5 months!

Interview with Mavis in today's Mail.
No new details and several incorrect details ( well it is the Fail after all ) but some lovely comments from Mavis about Helen.

a few snippets

Day Helen arrived at Hartwell
‘I waved, and the woman smiled and waved back. I knew in that instant that we would be friends,’ Mavis says. ‘The man didn’t make eye contact and he struck me as a bit odd. But still, I would never have guessed in that moment that we had a murderer moving into our midst.’

Mavis and Helen’s first proper encounter came a couple of days after the removal vans – Helen’s large, Ian’s small – had departed from the driveway of Hartwell Lodge. ‘She appeared at the front door and I invited her in,’ recalls Mavis. ‘We embraced, I made her a cup of tea and it didn’t take long for us to get to know each other

I saw Helen all the time. She would pop in for a cup of tea, or I would go next door. Ian might answer the bell but then he’d disappear while Helen and I sat in her study. Sometimes she’d drop by if she was out walking with her dog Boris, but Ian came to my house just the once, and although we did talk, I can’t remember a word he said,’ she recalls.

On her blog, Helen dubbed 56-year-old Ian the Gorgeous Grey-Haired Widower (or GGHW), but it is not a description Mavis recognises. ‘He was a nonentity; he had no personality. She was always smart – she had a wonderful wardrobe of clothes and jewellery – but he was scruffy and looked like he made no effort. I didn’t think they were well suited and it was hard to understand what she saw in him, but it wasn’t my place to tell her that.’

After Helen had disappeared
Mavis went round to offer her support to Ian, but spoke only to someone she didn’t recognise who answered the door and said he was resting.

One person who accurately predicted the grim truth, however, was Mavis’s daughter Nicola, who lives in Perth, Australia, but had met Helen on visits back to the UK. ‘I was telling Nicola about it on Skype, and she said, “It’ll be murder, premeditated, and Ian will have done it for her money.” I told her not to be silly, but her words were prophetic.’

Almost a year on, Mavis remains profoundly shocked by the death of her ‘immensely talented and deeply loyal friend’
Next door, Hartwell Lodge stands empty and the only sign of movement comes from a weathervane in the shape of a dachshund that spins from the garage roof.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-4357710/I-never-guessed-murderer-moving-midst.html

Still claiming the credit for the discovery of the body, I see.

Mavis certainly sounds like a Mail reader with her binoculars for spying on the neighbours! I do feel for her but I can't help but think she could find more productive ways forward than selling the same old story and claiming that she and the prescient Nicola are Royston's answer to inspector Clouseau.

Just checking for news updates and came across this pic, which I have not seen before - interesting angle and gives a direct line of site to the garage

Helen house view from right side.jpg

The trailer for the Jeremy Vine show for today says he's going to be interviewing a "friend" of Helens (not sure if it is Mavis or not!), thats on Radio 2 from midday if anyone is interested.

Just listened to most of it. Its available on the iplayer after the show is over. It's Shelly the relationship counselor. The one who pushed Helen toward Ian when Helen first was getting to know him not even a year after John's death. She said (it's in the blog) how will you feel in a year when he's found another woman? This got to Helen ....now she's preaching caution to others. Pity she didn't do that with Helen.

Just listened to most of it. Its available on the iplayer after the show is over. It's Shelly the relationship counselor. The one who pushed Helen toward Ian when Helen first was getting to know him not even a year after John's death. She said (it's in the blog) how will you feel in a year when he's found another woman? This got to Helen ....now she's preaching caution to others. Pity she didn't do that with Helen.

Thanks for that. If it's Shelley then I'll give it a miss. That woman should come with a health warning. How she has the nerve to do this, now, is beyond me.
A pity Helen did not read Shelley's own life experiences before using her, it would have made me run a mile.

Thanks for that. If it's Shelley then I'll give it a miss. That woman should come with a health warning. How she has the nerve to do this, now, is beyond me.
A pity Helen did not read Shelley's own life experiences before using her, it would have made me run a mile.

What would that be?

Alyce, we are 100% on the same page here. I think the woman beggars belief.

It's particularly blinking frustrating because if Helen had waited a year she probably would have ended up wondering what on earth she ever saw in him. And hopefully IS would have remained single with just his crappy clock mechanisms to keep him company.

Just did some google searches but couldn't find anything about her, widowed, divorced by the best friend she married, can't find the warnings....but what she told Helen was nuts. I hope she feels very guilty.

Just did some google searches but couldn't find anything about her, widowed, divorced by the best friend she married, can't find the warnings....but what she told Helen was nuts. I hope she feels very guilty.

Sorry, I got called away before I could reply to you.
Her bio just read - to me - as a person who was not a great judge of character and I did not get the overall feeling that she would be of any assistance in a life coach role. ( a career that I have great skepticism about at the best of times ).

I appreciate that some people might feel she is well placed to advise, having gone through difficult experiences herself, but I just got the feeling that she has little awareness or understanding of others.

Her advice to Helen was shocking and no amount of backtracking now will help to erase her stupidity.

I texted Jeremy vine during the show hoping he might challenge her or at least mention her poor judgement, but no luck.

I texted Jeremy vine during the show hoping he might challenge her or at least mention her poor judgement, but no luck.

Shame. I wish too that she'd been challenged in that daft interview after the conviction where she said something like nothing was amiss in Helen and IS' relationship which was patently untrue!

In my opinion it's a big betrayal that she's trotting around talking about her work with Helen anyway but I'm sure I've ranted about that before. I think she's a big warning sign with respect to unregulated professions that offer psychological support though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gio1tobey