GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoplicone is really quite a foul-tasting drug and hard to disguise the taste of in significant quantities, not to mention fairly tricky to obtain by legitimate methods (I'd put money on his internet history showing he'd bought it online surreptitiously though). It is also extremely rare for it to cause seizures, and nobody could realistically count on that as a likely prospect, so I don't believe his motive in drugging Helen was to directly induce her demise. I also believe that it would have been made much clearer to the jury if health-threatening amounts of the drug had been found.

I think it's much more likely that he was crushing the odd tablet into her morning tea from time to time as part of a pattern of coercive control.

Anthony Hurley

Prosecution calls the next witness - Anthony Hurley, he is the chairman of financial advisory firm Hurley Partners Ltd. He knew Ms Bailey through her first husband, John Sinfield. He supported her following Mr Sinfield’s death.
He says: “She didn’t think there was a will. We were quite sure there was a will. We asked to look through John’s private papers.

“She was extremely bright, very intelligent, very articulate and on the occasion of john’s death was completely distressed and distraught, she needed quite a lot of help at that time.” Mr Hurley is asked about Ms Bailey’s management of her financial affairs.
He says: “She was prudent, very careful, always worked herself for a living. Enjoyed the benefits of being married to John but certainly contributed fully herself in terms of financial contribution. She was certainly an equal with John during their marriage together.
“She was intelligent enough to know if people were taking advantage of her at all.
“She was comfortably off, living within the income which was produced from the investment we managed and was always careful about touching the capital. 'Always careful ... almost frightened to touch the income'
“I think she had a lot more trust in my judgement than I even realised myself.”
Mr Hurley was unaware he was to be sole executor of her will. He says: “At the time we were discussing the importance of having a will, she did ask me to be an executor, it was a complete surprise to me that I was the sole executor.”

In a July 2014 meeting Mr Hurley says he was told by Ms Bailey she intended to live with and marry Stewart.
“It was a particularly important meeting. During that meeting Helen explained she bought a new property. She was clearly making her relationship with Ian Stewart very much more permanent, that they were going to live together. It was her clear intention that she was going to marry him, without any clear timetable, she felt it was too soon after John’s death.
“She made it quite clear to me what was the intention, that once Mr Stewart sold his property that there would be a contribution to the new property, but it would not be 50 per cent”
Mr Hurley introduced Ms Bailey to solicitor Ms King-Jones. He recalls discussing with Ms Bailey changes to her will in July 2014.
“At that this stage I didn’t know Ian Stewart particularly well. I’d only met Ian once at our house.
“That meeting had taking pace the previous July 2013. I didn’t know a tremendous amount about Ian.”
He said Helen was aware Stewart could not afford the house alone.
“Helen knew that the financial commitment would never be able to be managed by Ian, because he was unable to continue his occupation.“It needed quite a lot of work doing to it.
“She basically said to me: ‘If anything, god forbid happens to me, the one thing I want to make sure is that Ian and the boys have the security of this house.’

“Helen was clear she wished to marry Ian Stewart, but not completely about the timetable.”
Mr Hurley said he informed Ms Bailey that in the event of her death there would be an inheritance tax bill of around £1.2 million.
He says: “Helen immediately said: ‘We can’t have that.’ I explained to her that for a very small outgoing she was able to arrange an insurance policy. He says he asked her when she planned to marry and she said: ‘I really cannot answer that now, but it would certainly be within the next five years’.”
He told her an insurance policy could be taken out for that period and renewed if necessary.Mr Hurley said that he had no further meetings with Ms Bailey until a financial review meeting in July 2015 at which point it became clear that Ms bailey had sought the ‘interim’ will and was still struggling to come to a decision about what various beneficiaries would receive.
He is asked what action he would have taken if called upon to execute her will. He says he would have used the earlier email summarising her wishes. He says: “In the absence of any other document… I would have fallen back on this document. I would have relied upon this to give me the guidance of how to distribute the funds. But I had no understanding that I was the sole executor.”

Mr Hurley said he had an “unusual” telephone conversation with Ian Stewart on April 18, 2016. Stewart had been to his office asking to speak to him while Hurley was out.
Mr Hurley said: “By this time I’d got to know Ian Stewart a little better, we’d been to several functions together. He knew how close I was to Helen.”
“Ian said to me directly ‘I’m in a terrible state at the moment and the reason I drove to your office in Surrey was that I wanted to look at you straight in the eye. I’ve looked at Helen’s emails… and ask is Helen staying with you?
“I answered that by saying Helen was not staying with me.”
He adds he would have made it clear that if she was in distress he would have taken her in and told her to get in touch with the police.
Stewart told Mr Hurley about the note he claims was left by Ms Bailey saying she had gone to Broadstairs.
Mr Hurley said: “I always had the feeling that Helen could do something quite exciting in that way. As long as Boris was with her.
“To my mind it was something that was not beyond the realm of possibility. She also did have a great fondness for Broadstairs and Stewart had said to me that that was where she had gone.”
Mr Hurley says he was only aware of one “minor” outstanding issue around John Sinfield’s businesses. The executor of John Sinfield’s estate had been unable to completely conclude the estate because of dispute with David Jenson, Sinfield’s partner in the Musicscope business. It related to the sale of a BMW worth around £8,000. Mr Hurley says no-one has mentioned the names of people called “Joe” and “Nick” in relation to Mr Sinfield’s business.

cross-exam
Mr Hurley is being cross-examined. He admits he was not told by Ms Bailey that she was getting married to Stewart.
Mr Hurley confirms he told Ms Bailey that she would be saving around £1 million in inheritance tax on her death “by tying the knot.”
He again acknowledges that Ms Bailey did not tell him he was the sole executor of her will and that it was subject to a discretionary trust. But he says it is “not completely uncommon for executors not to be shown wills.”
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/helen-bailey-murder-trial-week-12531416

(LitUp's account with extras, jury questions and extra sources are in the previous thread. )
eg http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...yston-11-April-2016-3&p=13109543#post13109543

another ( jurors questions) http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...yston-11-April-2016-3&p=13108989#post13108989

The email from Hurley to Helen:
"An email from the will’s executor, Tony Hurley, to Ms Bailey was read to to the court.
It said: “You specifically wish to ensure that Ian has your share of the main house and the second home in Broadstairs and a capital sum that will ensure he has a very comfortable lifestyle.”"
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/alleged-killer-author-helen-bailey-12533780

crying in the dock
Stewart began sobbing profusely in the dock as Mr Hurley told the court of a discussion they had in the wake of Ms Bailey's disappearance.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sed-stood-inherit-millions.html#ixzz4XQDO5HOO

(Pasting up as we have a newish thread and it's good to have yesterday's evidence altogether where it is easier to find. )

Financial investigator Stephen Theedom

<<snipped>>
The joint account goes back to August 2014. “The account is a Santander 123 account which has been set up to deal with domestic payments.

On April 11, 2016, there is £22,877 in the joint account.

She had a joint bank account with Stewart holding just under £90,000.

Just snipping this post cotton to highlight the £70,000 discrepancy.

Which is correct I wonder?

Just snipping this post cotton to highlight the £70,000 discrepancy.

Which is correct I wonder?

cheers, pls add any revisions. ( wish we had done a lump paste with the sons' testimony too , cause IF Stewart does NOT testify, it's the only stuff we will have from those others who were amongst the last to see Helen before she died. )

There was CCTV of them together in Tesco. There had been a shoplifting incident and the security guard asked IS if he could use his phone. IS denies it was him on the CCTV.

I think the prosecution is using this incident to prove his phone identification and subsequent activity, because they never received his phone. He lost it. (cough)

Thanks very much,Tortoise,I had completely missed this.
If it could be proved to be IS in Tesco with a phone, what does it link him to in the phone activity records the Prosecution have evidently obtained?
If it is not possible to prove, what does it leave us with? I see Squamous doubts such an incident would happen.
The mere fact that he goes to such lengths to remove computer and phone evidence is pretty damning, isn't it?

(Off topic, please can someone tell me why I sometimes get the first line or two of text running together without spacing!)

Anthony Hurley

Prosecution calls the next witness - Anthony Hurley, he is the chairman of financial advisory firm Hurley Partners Ltd. <<snipped>>

In a July 2014 meeting Mr Hurley says he was told by Ms Bailey she intended to live with and marry Stewart.
It was her clear intention that she was going to marry him, without any clear timetable, she felt it was too soon after John’s death.

“Helen was clear she wished to marry Ian Stewart, but not completely about the timetable.”
Mr Hurley said he informed Ms Bailey that in the event of her death there would be an inheritance tax bill of around £1.2 million.

He says: “Helen immediately said: ‘We can’t have that.’ I explained to her that for a very small outgoing she was able to arrange an insurance policy. He says he asked her when she planned to marry and she said: ‘I really cannot answer that now, but it would certainly be within the next five years’.”

He told her an insurance policy could be taken out for that period and renewed if necessary.

I'm highlighting this because I think it's a really important point that the prosecution missed in their re-examination.

The policy to cover Inheritance Tax was only intended to cover the period before marriage. Helen would have been able to cancel it after their marriage because it would be redundant.

Thanks very much,Tortoise,I had completely missed this.
If it could be proved to be IS in Tesco with a phone, what does it link him to in the phone activity records the Prosecution have evidently obtained?
If it is not possible to prove, what does it leave us with? I see Squamous doubts such an incident would happen.
The mere fact that he goes to such lengths to remove computer and phone evidence is pretty damning, isn't it?

(Off topic, please can someone tell me why I sometimes get the first line or two of text running together without spacing!)

It happens to me too, since the last WS software update. So annoying! I thought my spacebar had stopped working for a while.

I read about a fix for it but it's not permanent, you have to do it every time it happens.

On the bar above the reply box (where it says bold, font, size etc) click on the icon furthest to the left. It looks like this A/A , before you start typing.

It happens to me too, since the last WS software update. So annoying! I thought my spacebar had stopped working for a while.

I read about a fix for it but it's not permanent, you have to do it every time it happens.

On the bar above the reply box (where it says bold, font, size etc) click on the icon furthest to the left. It looks like this A/A , before you start typing.

Thank you - it has worked. Oddly, the problem only afflicts me sometimes, anyway, but I'm glad it isn't just me.

cheers, pls add any revisions. ( wish we had done a lump paste with the sons' testimony too , cause IF Stewart does NOT testify, it's the only stuff we will have from those others who were amongst the last to see Helen before she died. )

I have both sons testimony saved as documents, so can post up if needed

Copying this over from Cambridge News
A summary of assets of both Helen and IS

Helen Bailey&#8217;s assets
£1,850,000 property portfolio:

- £312,000 Broadstairs property

- £180,000 Gateshead property

- Majority ownership of £1.2 million Baldock road home

£60,000 in Barclays bank accounts.

Joint bank account with Stewart holding just under £90,000.

Total assets of £3,326,316

Ian Stewart&#8217;s assets
A total of £162,000 in cash across various bank accounts

Received a monthly income of around £2,000 in sickness pay and benefits.

Access to joint bank account holding around £90,000

( and adding a note that, as per Tortoise earlier post, evidence yesterday stated the joint account held £22,877 on April 11, 2016. )

The spacebar thing happens on another forum I use too so isn't limited to here!

The phone incident just strikes me as weird, it's hard to see how it relates to anything, and like I say I can't see why a staff member would borrow a customer's phone. Most colleagues have their own phones on them and there are store extensions everywhere. Security is contracted out though so I guess it might be a rogue guard. Ours ride around on the mobility scooters when they're bored which I also think management wouldn't be thrilled with!

I have both sons testimony saved as documents, so can post up if needed

Good idea to do before today's coverage starts IF that's possible? ( just so it's at start of this thread 4?)

The spacebar thing happens on another forum I use too so isn't limited to here!

The phone incident just strikes me as weird, it's hard to see how it relates to anything, and like I say I can't see why a staff member would borrow a customer's phone. Most colleagues have their own phones on them and there are store extensions everywhere. Security is contracted out though so I guess it might be a rogue guard. Ours ride around on the mobility scooters when they're bored which I also think management wouldn't be thrilled with!

:lol:

Thank you for the space bar tip!! thought my laptop was playing up x

Today the jury is set to hear evidence around Ian Stewart&#8217;s health and two people connected to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member