UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

Its just another guy trying to sell a book--every few years this same thing happens--now its a pimp who did it---oh brotherl

Jack The Ripper

Jack the Ripper is an alias given to an unidentified serial killer (or killers) active in the largely impoverished Whitechapel area and adjacent districts of London, England in the latter half of 1888. Typical Ripper murders were perpetrated in a public or semi-public place; the victim's throat was cut, after which the body was mutilated. Some believe that the victims were first strangled in order to silence them and to explain the lack of reported blood at the crime scenes. The removal of internal organs from some victims has led to the proposal that the killer possessed anatomical or surgical knowledge or skill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper

Buzzm1, did you scroll down in the first link you posted, there is a picture of Silver there. He sure looks like a psychopath! Is there a way to post his picture here for everyone to see?

It*s interesting the author places Silver in the Whitechapel (sp?) area at the time of the birth of his (Silver*s) daughter. I wonder what a psychologist would have to say about that, if there is some bizzare reason he murdered at that time, especially since he mutilated the women*s bodies and removed their organs.

Buzzm1, did you scroll down in the first link you posted, there is a picture of Silver there. He sure looks like a psychopath! Is there a way to post his picture here for everyone to see?

It*s interesting the author places Silver in the Whitechapel (sp?) area at the time of the birth of his (Silver*s) daughter. I wonder what a psychologist would have to say about that, if there is some bizzare reason he murdered at that time, especially since he mutilated the women*s bodies and removed their organs.
WW, yes he certainly looks the part, and certainly soldified his nature during his time in Johannesburg--he fit "Jack's criminal profile perfectly. They said his life was filled with bitter relationships with women. Also that he frequently wrote newspapers in the same way that "Jack" did. and he was a Polish Jew, and the profilers had "Jack" as a Jew. I'm waiting to hear more from the Ripperologists.

My thoughts, if Silver was Jack the Ripper, are if he hated women what would it do to his psychi (sp?) if one of these horrible women were having his baby? If he was unable to kill the woman and his child because he would be suspect, maybe he satisfied his hatred by mutilating other women by performing mock caesarian sections (remove the women*s organs to take the place of removing his baby).

Now I think I creeped myself out.

Is there a way to post his picture here for everyone to see?

Hiya WhiteWolf :)

captjohn.jpg

no one , in recent years, has satisfactorily explained why the head of scotland yard or whoever, erased a message chalked into the wall at one of the last crime scenes.

This would not be done to protect a pimp, if anything, they would have probably highlighted it if it pointed to a known criminal of their time.

I still believe it was a member of an important family, who was then quietly taken into custody and remanded to an asylum , hence no more murders.

there was a movie, the title escapes me, in the 90's, said the same thing.

~lightwaveryder~

I have always agreed with Ripperologists and profilers who have suggested that Jack the Ripper either died or was imprisoned or committed to an asylum following the final murder. He killed at least five women in a relatively short period of time, with an escalating pattern of violence. This was not a guy who would stop voluntarily. The piece on Silver says that:
Silver, who was born in Poland, arrived in Johannesburg in 1898 fresh from a stint in prison in New York for burglary and a stay in London a decade earlier. Shortly after arriving in Johannesburg, Silver set up a string of cafes, cigar shops and police-protected brothels.

The monster who butchered Mary Kelly and totally desexed and dehumanised her does not sound like the kind of guy who would then go on to open up a cafe or cigar shop. These people don't stop; think of Ted Bundy, who escaped from police custody and moved to another state. He could have disguised himself and tried to live a normal life, but wasn't able to because killing was what he did. All suspects for Jack the Ripper, like Sickert, Donston, Maybrick and this guy Silver, who went on to live relatively normal lives that didn't include murdering and eviscerating women, are in my opinion ruled out as suspects.

Actually, there is a strong belief that the Ripper letters weren't by the killer, but a hoax by a journalist looking to boost circulation of his paper while thumbing his nose at the authorities at the same time.

I agree with you, most "ripperologists" feel that the letters were all hoaxes; the only possible exception is the one that went to Lusk with part of Catherine Eddowes' kidney. The letters came from all over England, in many different handwritings, and were received for years after the crimes stopped. The case really caught the imagination of the public, and I suspect that triggered the flood of letters. DNA testing would only be helpful if there was genuine DNA to test and compare to. Patricia Cornwell got results that "could" have included Sickert as the author of some letters, which really only proves that maybe he wrote a hoax letter or two, not that he was Jack the Ripper.

I agree with you, most "ripperologists" feel that the letters were all hoaxes; the only possible exception is the one that went to Lusk with part of Catherine Eddowes' kidney. The letters came from all over England, in many different handwritings, and were received for years after the crimes stopped. The case really caught the imagination of the public, and I suspect that triggered the flood of letters. DNA testing would only be helpful if there was genuine DNA to test and compare to. Patricia Cornwell got results that "could" have included Sickert as the author of some letters, which really only proves that maybe he wrote a hoax letter or two, not that he was Jack the Ripper.
Great post. I seriously doubt Cornwall's claim.Maybe he was just a fruitcake that wrote letters as he was a fantascist not the killer. The only real letter is as you say the one that contained some of the kidney. All the Ripper files are now open to the public and not sealed anymore... it would be a true miracle of science if the killer was found now.Cannot wait to see the outcome!

Do we have an update on this yet? This was back in 2005!

Jack the Ripper's face revealed 120 years on
Sunday, November 19, 2006

The face of Jack the Ripper has been pieced together by Scotland Yard experts from evidence left by the Victorian killer.

Modern profiling techniques have been used to form the most accurate portrait ever of the murderer, whose identity has remained a mystery for 118 years.

The clues also suggest that police at the time were probably searching for the wrong kind of man.
Full article: click here

Ooooh, thanks for this. I read P. Cornwell's book about Jack the Ripper several years ago. It was very, very interesting. I wonder what she thinks about these new developments...

The Original facinating unsolved case!
Druitt has always been my favorite suspect but ive always felt it was just as likely he was a complete unknown who's identity is lost to time.
But if I had to put money on any of the 'known' suspects it would be Druitt.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back