UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

Yes, definitely AC for the latter, but I, too, am not remembering the coffee shop in Poplar.

Maybe standreid knows the answer to this one.

I will enjoy Dr. Rubenhold's book, I think, as my own readings - perhaps all of ours - have been steeped in the orthodoxy of the times (1888-2018).

When you've read it perhaps you could post your thoughts here and/or in the book section?

In conclusion, they may not all have been full time prostitutes, but it was in the end the only way they could continually support themselves. I think that the author is also forgetting that within that social context it was not at all looked down upon that a respectable woman would occasionally have to do some "street work" in harder times. Once those harder times were over she could go back to doing whatever she was doing before.

I'd like to see it confirmed, but I'm not hopeful. Kosminski is the best of the known suspects, IMO.
I meant to say 'Kosminski is the best of the known suspects, but still not very likely, IMO.'

Interesting info, but still not 100% confirmation, IMHO. Chain of custody for this "shawl" belonging to Eddowes is sketchy, for sure. Yet, how would Kosminski's DNA have gotten on this piece of clothing. I can see compelling arguments for several of the best-known suspects.

Interesting info, but still not 100% confirmation, IMHO. Chain of custody for this "shawl" belonging to Eddowes is sketchy, for sure. Yet, how would Kosminski's DNA have gotten on this piece of clothing. I can see compelling arguments for several of the best-known suspects.

Eddowes DNA was on it, so it his linked to her. Jack The Ripper's Identity Finally Uncovered, New DNA Evidence Claims

It is hugely unlikely that Kosminski's and Eddowes's DNA would both be on an item. That Kosminski was a suspect at the time strengthens that.

The shawl is not listed in the extensive inventory of Catherine Eddowes' possessions. 54 items, some as insignificant as strips of cloth which Eddowes probably used for sanitary napkins or bathroom purposes, are cataloged.....but not the shawl. The policeman who is alleged to have procured it, Amos Simpson, was a Metropolitan Police constable, not a City of London policeman. This is important. Simpson was nowhere near the crime scene or the mortuary the City Police took Eddowes' corpse to. The City of London police would not give someone an item which may have had significance in the investigation. Fact is, the shawl wasn't Eddowes'. Too many people have handled the item of the last 130 years.....and while it is a tantalizing thought that Kozminski's DNA or Eddowes' is present on the article....there are simply too many factors to discount it as being evidentiary. <modsnip - self promotion without prior approval>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to hear more on Boston Corbett. I have done some research on this and it's very interesting.

Been following this case closely since I was a kid and looked very hard at all the suspects over the years, but totally convinced it's now solved with the discovery of Charles Lechmere, who was practically caught in the act and identified, but let off as a witness.

All the other facts finally fits too like for example the witness description of the murderer at Elizabeth Stride, and how the murderer could go in heavily patrolled streets night after night without attracting attention (as most of the other suscpects would have). Interestingly, he was a car man, just like the later Yorkshire ripper was a lorry driver.

It seems his last complete butchery of Mary Kelly was cathartic, as he quit his killing spree and became a respectable grocer. Believing he was a great man for having escaped as the most wanted man in UK, and maybe for future generation of sleuths, he had his picture taken at age 63, 22 years after the murders:

faw4KrR.jpg

See this documentary:

Been following this case closely since I was a kid and looked very hard at all the suspects over the years, but totally convinced it's now solved with the discovery of Charles Lechmere, who was practically caught in the act and identified, but let off as a witness.

All the other facts finally fits too like for example the witness description of the murderer at Elizabeth Stride, and how the murderer could go in heavily patrolled streets night after night without attracting attention (as most of the other suscpects would have). Interestingly, he was a car man, just like the later Yorkshire ripper was a lorry driver.

It seems his last complete butchery of Mary Kelly was cathartic, as he quit his killing spree and became a respectable grocer. Believing he was a great man for having escaped as the most wanted man in UK, and maybe for future generation of sleuths, he had his picture taken at age 63, 22 years after the murders:

faw4KrR.jpg

See this documentary:

Yes, I am agreeing with you on this matter with one detail: that documentary doesn't reflect critical thought. If we take it all at face value then Lechmere is as convincing a suspect as we will ever get. However, the guy leading the charge wasn't a critical thinker. He clearly had tunnel vision as per his early comments in that video that state he couldn't see how Lechmere wasn't a killer. Also, that Swedish-journalist guy isn't following a scientific method. If you got to 10:08 of the video, he says that whatever he finds out of Lechmere will go to "confirm" that he was the ripper, not "clear" him. You can't presuppose what a future investigation will uncover -- you have to look at things without prejudice. Imagine a police officer saying that -- it would taint the whole investigation. It's a good video as food for thought but remember that it was very biased --- and not just in the standard way.

I'd be interested in reading your book.
It's only a manuscript. It's surprising the things I found, and after finding them I discovered that someone else had written a book on the subject. I haven't been able to find that book.

It's only a manuscript. It's surprising the things I found, and after finding them I discovered that someone else had written a book on the subject. I haven't been able to find that book.

Can you tell me the name of that book?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back