GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to WS, laurauk1. Yes, I have to read the Guardian online all the way through first, to steel myself for entry into the uncertain pages of the Daily Mail.

:Welcome1:

For people who may not be familiar with the UK media, The Daily Mail has a reputation for making quite big assumptions, digging for a story and being quite right wing (sometimes bordering on racist).

In terms of Joanna's partner's half-brother not wishing to speak to the paper, I would see this more of a reflection of the fact that he would be concerned of how they may twist what he says, rather than anything else.

Thanks for joining us, laura! :greetings:

I can't remember which of the UK media has been referred to as being more like a National Enquirer...maybe it was the Daily Mail...it's good to know these things so thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the welcomes! :) I was here before but registered with an email address at my last place of work. Can't for the life of me remember the password and as I can't access the emails, figured it would be useful to reregister.

In terms of reputable broadsheet newspapers in the UK, the ones to look out for are The Guardian, The Independent, The Times and The Telegraph.

The Sun and The Mirror are the main tabloids, with the Daily Mail being tabloid but trying to be more serious (it is probably considered the one that people raise their eyebrows to the most though as they do print some quite controversial things)!

One thing I will say I've noticed (and debated this with my family in relation to Joanna Yeates on Christmas Day) is that with the Daily Mail they imply a lot of things which I think is based on information they have which can't be released into the public domain yet. For example, a recent case about a British man who allegedly murdered his wife on honeymoon in South Africa, the Daily Mail hinted at his involvement for ages before the South African authorities applied to have him extradited for questioning. I found it interesting how the DM had implied that he was involved prior to all of this actually coming into the public domain. By contrast in this case their articles have not hinted at the boyfriend being involved at all which makes me think that this is something the police have ruled out already.

Hope that makes sense and helps in some way.

Thanks for the welcomes! :) I was here before but registered with an email address at my last place of work. Can't for the life of me remember the password and as I can't access the emails, figured it would be useful to reregister.

In terms of reputable broadsheet newspapers in the UK, the ones to look out for are The Guardian, The Independent, The Times and The Telegraph.

The Sun and The Mirror are the main tabloids, with the Daily Mail being tabloid but trying to be more serious (it is probably considered the one that people raise their eyebrows to the most though as they do print some quite controversial things)!

One thing I will say I've noticed (and debated this with my family in relation to Joanna Yeates on Christmas Day) is that with the Daily Mail they imply a lot of things which I think is based on information they have which can't be released into the public domain yet. For example, a recent case about a British man who allegedly murdered his wife on honeymoon in South Africa, the Daily Mail hinted at his involvement for ages before the South African authorities applied to have him extradited for questioning. I found it interesting how the DM had implied that he was involved prior to all of this actually coming into the public domain. By contrast in this case their articles have not hinted at the boyfriend being involved at all which makes me think that this is something the police have ruled out already.

Hope that makes sense and helps in some way.

Yes, thank you. In the Dewani case, the Mail was certainly insinuating outcomes long before they occurred.

Yes, thank you. In the Dewani case, the Mail was certainly insinuating outcomes long before they occurred.

Yes - a lot of what they said I think could have got them into quite a lot of trouble, which is why I think that they had information about his possible involvement that they were not allowed to tell us.

If the boyfriend is involved, it'll be clear as soon as they can check the cameras, phones, etc. I think his location will be easily verifiable.

I interpreted the quote from the parents -- "knew within 30 minutes of arriving that she had been kidnapped" -- that they meant 30 minutes after THEY arrived, not after Joanna had arrived home. So she could have been in the flat longer... or never, if someone dropped her stuff off there. But also that it took a little while for them to see the evidence, whatever it was. And whatever it was, makes them think it wasn't a suicide, which would be the slightly more obvious solution (I had briefly considered a late-night walk over the bridge, too many observers, then an OD in the golf course... but there is clearly more evidence that we're not getting.)

I feel so terrible for the family -- they are so clearly devastated, and at Christmas...

<snip>

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Jones of Avon and Somerset Police revealed the results of a post mortem examination as he declared that her death was now officially being treated as a murder investigation.
Speaking at a press conference he said police believed her body had been at the spot where she was found for several days.

more here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/joanna-yeates-was-strangled-reveal-police-2170847.html

ETA:

DCI Jones said there were no other "significant" marks found on her body. He stressed that the investigation was still in its early stages, and police were "still keeping an open mind" as to whether she had been sexually assualted.

more here

http://www.channel4.com/news/murder-investigation-joanna-yeates-was-strangled

He appealed for further information to help their investigation and said they were keeping an open mind as to whether the killer was known to Ms Yeates.

He confirmed boyfriend Greg Reardon was a witness and not a suspect.

Cameras recording movements across Clifton Suspension Bridge - which links the area where the body was found with Miss Yeates's flat - are already being studied.

more here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12084756

A Guessing Game.

Independent uk

Last seen 17th dec.10

Rang best friend to arrange meeting for xmas eve 24th dec 10

B/f reported her missing Sunday 19th dec 10

Body found 25th dec 10

J/Y makes date in pub to meet someone for lift home after night out on 17th Dec, (maybe she does'nt want to show her workmates she is going to meet up with another man), says she will pick up a pizza for supper and meet him for lift home, she rings her best friend Rebecca Scott to arrange to meet on Christmas eve on way home, makes her way to meeting point, he may have said come to my place, he picks her up, kills her, goes back to her flat with her coat, phone, keys, pizza, receipt, eats pizza, takes wrapping and box with him, throws somewhere in bin, or just takes the whole thing, but forgets the receipt.

Murderer left her belongings to make it look like she made her own way home, took pizza to hide her tracks home.

[FONT=&quot]Christmas eve is a special time to be with B/F, why was she making arrangements to see friends?
Well, just an idea of what might have happened.
[/FONT]

It could well be that the boyfriend truly isn't a suspect, but if the police do suspect him, it would be to their benefit to make him think they are all on the same side, to try and get as much information as possible.

I don't think they would publicly suspect him until they had their case locked up, JMO!!

That looks to be a long walk home on such a cold night. Possible that someone had been watching her in the pub, and spotted her leaving alone. Followed her home. The flat had its own entrance off the street, so someone could have done a "push in ", waited until she was opening her door,and pushed his/her way in behind Jo. But, why would the killer then take her out of the flat,risking being seen ? Why not just leave ?
LE said only that Jo's body had been there for several days. Locals said that they had walked by the area around the 18th,and 19th,and there was no body there. Could she have been kept someplace else, then left outside ?

I would like to know if she ate anything in the pub. If not,it could explain her buying such a large pizza. I wonder if the autopsy revealed if she had actually eaten any of the pizza ? MOO

All JMO

Here's the press release from today, in its entirety:

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Jones has today (Tuesday) confirmed that the investigation into the death of 25-year-old Joanna Yeates is now a murder enquiry.

He said: "I am leading the murder investigation.

"The post mortem examination has taken longer than usual, because of the frozen condition of her body.

"The pathologist completed his examination last night, and concluded that the cause of her death was compression of the neck; in other words, strangulation.

"As a result of the findings of the post mortem, we believe that Joanna's body has been in the roadside verge off Longwood Lane, Failand, for several days before being discovered on Christmas morning.

"I am very keen to hear from anybody who saw or heard anything or anyone acting suspiciously in the Longwood Lane area particularly the area near to the entrance to Durnford Quarry over the last week but in particular the weekend of Friday December 17 to Sunday 19. This was the weekend when we experienced heavy snow in the area.

"However small or insignificant you think your information might be, please come forward and speak to us.

"Please don't assume we may already have been told the information that you have; we would much rather be told the same piece of information several times over than not be told it at all.

"Today (Tuesday) we are continuing our meticulous search of the area in which Joanna was found, in order to make sure we capture any potential evidence that may be there.

"There are a number of other lines of enquiry that we are pursuing.

"One of these is inevitably going to be how Joanna got from her home in Clifton to Longwood Lane, which is about three miles away.

"This means that we will be looking at any possible routes that could have been taken to get to and from that location. This includes reviewing relevant CCTV footage from cameras on the Clifton Suspension Bridge, which is an obvious link between the locations.

"However, this is just one of a number of routes that could have been taken, and we need to make sure we cover every possibility.

"Another line of enquiry we are following up concerns the night of her disappearance. We know that she had been to the Bristol Ram pub on Park Street with work colleagues.

"We know that she left the pub at 8pm on Friday December 17 and on her way home stopped off at Waitrose on the Clifton Triangle.

"We also know that she went to the Bargain Booze shop and a Tesco Express store in Regent Street, Clifton, where she bought a pizza, leaving that store at about 8.40pm.

"We believe she then returned to her ground floor flat in Canynge Road because her keys, purse and bankcards were still there, together with a receipt from the Tesco store.

"At the time she would have arrived home aprox. 8.45pm, there were other pedestrians and vehicles in Canynge Rd at that time. We would like anybody in the area of Canynge Rd to please come forward.

"I met Joanna's family for the first time yesterday, and we have informed them of all the very latest developments and findings. I do, of course, offer them my heartfelt condolences as this tragic time.

"As you know, they were in the Bristol area yesterday where they formally identified their daughter's body, and also visited the scene where she was found.

"Somebody out there does know what happened to Joanna; someone out there is holding that vital piece of information we need to help provide Joanna's family with the answers they need and want.

"We know some of her last movements on Friday December 17: we know where and when she was found. We now know how she died.

"What we have to do next is find out why she was killed and who was responsible.

"I have a large team of police officers and staff who have been working tirelessly to help find the answers to those questions.

"I would urge anyone listening to me today who has any information whatsoever to please come forward and speak to us.

"They can call the Operation Braid incident room on 0845 456 7000 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or they can use the secure contact form on the force website,

Address and Contact Data

Avon and Somerset Police
Avon and Somerset Constabulary
Police Headquarters
PO Box 37
Valley Road, Portishead
Bristol
BS20 8QJ"

I would like to know if she ate anything in the pub. If not,it could explain her buying such a large pizza. I wonder if the autopsy revealed if she had actually eaten any of the pizza ? MOO

All JMO

My daughter and I shared an identical pizza about 2 weeks ago, I could have easily eaten it all, it is quite a small pizza, did I imagine it or did I read that Joanna had bought a bottle of cider at Bargain Booze? Poor girl

My daughter and I shared an identical pizza about 2 weeks ago, I could have easily eaten it all, it is quite a small pizza, did I imagine it or did I read that Joanna had bought a bottle of cider at Bargain Booze? Poor girl

Thanks for that info, that's useful to know. She must have had both hands full by the time she reached her flat. Her purse, the pizza box, and a bottle of cider... Would she have paused,maybe set something on the ground while she got her doorkeys out ? But LE is saying that there were people around on the street at that time,both pedestrians and vehicles. And yet no one has come forward to say they saw anything unusual. Killer most probably was inside the flat ? moo

all jmo

Daily Mail updates story:

Joanna Yeates was strangled, confirm police as they say boyfriend is 'witness and not a suspect' in murder investigation

* Police are 'pursuing a number of lines of inquiry'
* Joanna's boyfriend Greg Reardon is not being treated as a suspect
* Detectives reveal body had been on grass verge for 'several days'
* Officers keeping 'open mind' over possibility of sexual motive
* Grieving parents say 'Police know more than they're telling us'

Good comprehensive article for those just reading the case; lotsa pix too.

Hi guys,

Joined because of this case - another poster linked me to the site.

The purchase of cider changes everything, in my opinion. Funny that the police decided to mention it today. I had been convinced that the boyfriend was the culprit up until that point. Now it makes a lot less sense. Why would she buy alcohol for her and her boyfriend if he was planning to drive to Sheffield?

It doesn't necessarily negate the theory (e.g. alcohol just for her/he hadn't actually planned the trip, and is being covered by his brother/alcohol was for another time/he would've had just one glass before driving), but makes me wonder if there was a secret lover. The police seem to be drip feeding. The press conferences are more about smoking him out than about appealing for information.

The parents realising within 30 minutes of arriving at the flat that Jo had been abducted - I think some misinterpreted that (as someone else has said above). I think what they meant was there were signs that she hadn't chosen to leave, and that they saw these signs within half an hour.

I personally think that Joanna was dead on Friday the 17th and probably her body taken to the site that night (early hours of next morning probably). I still think the boyfriend is a likely suspect, but I do wonder why he hasn't already been arrested if this is the case.

I am starting to wonder more about a lover because it sounds like she'd planned for a cosy night in.

I'll be back here later or tomorrow to check out others' posts. Nice to be here finally - heard about the site before, but have never got around to checking it out.

x

Hi guys,

Joined because of this case - another poster linked me to the site.

The purchase of cider changes everything, in my opinion. Funny that the police decided to mention it today. I had been convinced that the boyfriend was the culprit up until that point. Now it makes a lot less sense. Why would she buy alcohol for her and her boyfriend if he was planning to drive to Sheffield?

It doesn't necessarily negate the theory (e.g. alcohol just for her/he hadn't actually planned the trip, and is being covered by his brother/alcohol was for another time/he would've had just one glass before driving), but makes me wonder if there was a secret lover. The police seem to be drip feeding. The press conferences are more about smoking him out than about appealing for information.

The parents realising within 30 minutes of arriving at the flat that Jo had been abducted - I think some misinterpreted that (as someone else has said above). I think what they meant was there were signs that she hadn't chosen to leave, and that they saw these signs within half an hour.

I personally think that Joanna was dead on Friday the 17th and probably her body taken to the site that night (early hours of next morning probably). I still think the boyfriend is a likely suspect, but I do wonder why he hasn't already been arrested if this is the case.

I am starting to wonder more about a lover because it sounds like she'd planned for a cosy night in.

I'll be back here later or tomorrow to check out others' posts. Nice to be here finally - heard about the site before, but have never got around to checking it out.

x

Welcome to WebSleuths, Blamhappy!

depending which news site you go to some are saying was dumped there several days before being found.
others are saying she was killed several days before and was not there on the 19th per witnessess.
Not sure about the boyfriend he looked pretty genuinely upset at the press conference when they where still looking for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon