GUILTY UK - Karen Buckley, 24, Glasgow, Scotland, 12 April 2015 - #2

I'm not sure why people are blasting the judge for the sentence. The judge can only sentence within the parameters set for the crime. The judge quite openly stated that if the second charge had of been carried forward by the prosecution and not dropped then the parameters would have been much different.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erer-moved-newly-refurbished-prison-unit.html

Playstation, Sky TV and a state-of-the art gym... jail perks of Karen Buckley's murderer after he is moved to newly-refurbished prison unit

Inside Time, a newspaper for prisoners, used information from official sources and former inmates to produce an insight into penal conditions – described as a ‘kind of Which? guide to prisons.’
Former private schoolboy Pacteau, who dumped Miss Buckley’s remains in a barrel filled with caustic soda, will also have a television.
But if he tires of his in-cell pleasures at the recently-refurbished Shotts, the killer will be able to enjoy classes in creative writing, crafts and drama at the prison’s ‘learning centre’.
Prison chiefs said inmates must buy their own games consoles using an in-house service that allows them to use purchase prison-approved hardware with their taxpayer-funded ‘wages,’ which also fund their television sets.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alexander-pacteau-appeal-23-year-6473076

Paperwork has been lodged with Scottish courts by the 21-year-old murderer's lawyers, and his appeal is expected to be heard in the coming weeks, the Irish Mirror reports.

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/kar...lodges-appeal-against-sentence-11364005404132

Pacteau has now lodged papers at the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh in a bid to reduce his sentence.

A spokesman for the court told the Scottish Daily Mail: "Alexander Pacteau lodged a notice of intention to appeal against sentence on 16 September 2015."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34301815

The Crown withdrew the charge before his plea and his solicitor John Scullion QC suggested his actions after the killing should not therefore be regarded when considering sentence.
During the sentencing, Lady Rae told the court she regretted that the Crown had withdrawn a charge relating to Pacteau's actions after the murder, saying it "tied her hands" to some extent in relation to the sentence.
But she added: "I have come to the view that I cannot ignore your conduct after the killing."
A Scottish Courts spokesman said: "Alexander Pacteau lodged a notice of intention to appeal against sentence on 16 September 2015."

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/ca...quittal-in-sexual-assault-trial-31529782.html

Scotland's Crown prosecutors are being asked to review Alexander Pacteau's 2013 acquittal for sexual assault in light of the revelations in his conviction for the brutal murder of Karen Buckley.

In each case Pacteau approached a young woman walking home alone late at night and offered to help them.
In Karen's case he offered her a lift home in his Ford Focus car at 1am on April 12 last. In the case of the young Glasgow woman he offered to help her find a taxi. Both women were 24 years old.
The young Glasgow woman said she was devastated at the not guilty verdict in March 2013, but felt that the life sentence Pacteau received last week for Karen's murder offered her some form of justice.
The young woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, felt Pacteau posed such a threat that she wrote to Scottish authorities about him in 2013 after the not guilty verdict.

One leading psychologist and anti-violence campaigner, Dr Mairead Tagg, said she felt there was a case for a retrial given the revelations.
Dr Tagg said that, in her opinion, Pacteau was "a very dangerous man".
"It seems this poor woman has not received justice. If the evidence is there, he should be retried," she said.

His actions after he killed her should definitely be taken into consideration. It showed what a calculating, manipulative monster he is.

I wonder what sentence he would have got if he'd called the police and handed himself in as soon as he murdered her?

http://www.herald.ie/news/karens-killer-pacteau-obsessed-with-woman-31521223.html

One neighbour revealed that Pacteau, who attended Anniesland College - where he started but then abandoned a business degree course - became infatuated with a pretty young Glasgow woman.
"He was obsessed with her. He was phoning her and texting her all the time," she said.
"Then we heard, because my daughter knew the young woman, that he started buying her gifts - one turned out to be a sex toy. After that she told him she wanted nothing to do with him. We thought he was a very strange young man."

The infatuation was around the time Pacteau successfully defended a totally unrelated sexual assault charge before Glasgow High Court.
.............. he suddenly attacked her, threw her to the ground and sexually assaulted her. Pacteau rejected the allegation and counter-claimed that she had attacked him. He testified to the trial that he was gay.

Wouldnt it be great if the appeal judge was able to increase his sentence, as a penalty for him having had the temerity to lodge an appeal

I would simply love to see how he would react to that.

the reality though is that this just means more trauma for Karen's family as the sc*m tries to say how hard done by he is...

How on earth can a Judge not take in to consideration his actions after he killed her? of course she should it, shows everything about his character.

I always astonishes me that in cases of absolute guilt that appeals are granted.

This is outrageous haven't Karen's family suffered enough without him appealing? They have a life of grief and missing out on Karen's milestones and this clown thinks his sentence is too harsh. Its a disgrace its a pity hanging cant be brought back that would put a stop to these monsters appealing. Sorry for ranting it just makes your blood boil.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.

I know this thread is old but did it ever come out why she left with him? Can't believe it's over a year now since this happened.... This girl is never far from my thoughts... Rip karen *advertiser censored*

I know this thread is old but did it ever come out why she left with him? Can't believe it's over a year now since this happened.... This girl is never far from my thoughts... Rip karen *advertiser censored*
She didn't leave with him, she left the club alone and then spoke to him outside. I can only assume she thought getting a lift with a random stranger was safer than getting a taxi as she was from a small town in Cork where everyone knew each other and it's normal to take a lift from someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back