UNSOLVED UK - London, woman pushed into path of bus, 5 May 2017

This person ever been caught?

NOPE :(

Bridge jogger-push investigation closed
Putney Bridge jogger assault investigation closed
A police investigation to find a jogger who pushed a woman into the path of a bus on a bridge in London has been closed.

The search was launched in August 2017 when CCTV footage was released of a bus driver swerving to avoid the woman on Putney Bridge, south west London.

Officers looked at more than 50 suspects and arrested three men, who were all released without charge.

The Met Police said all lines of enquiry had now been "exhausted".

It was around 7:40am on May 5, 2017, when driver Oliver Salbris pulled the number 430 bus out from stop FE on Putney Bridge, heading south. Traffic is slow in South West London at that time of day and he couldn’t have been doing more than around 12mph. If the bus had been moving any faster then things might have played out differently.

One minute, the road was clear. The next, a woman was falling into the bus’s path. Salbris swerved, missing her by inches. It was only when CCTV footage of the incident was released to the media that August that he saw how narrowly catastrophe had been avoided. “I didn’t realise,” he told reporters, “that I was that close to her”.

The woman’s fall was no accident. The bus’s dashboard footage revealed, frame by frame, what had happened. A jogger can be seen running in the opposite direction. Though his face is obscured, there’s a decent enough outline to work with: he’s a stocky white male, with short brown hair and brown eyes – wearing dark blue shorts and a grey t-shirt. As he runs towards the woman, he seems to make a decision. In one stride, he’s next to her, arms outstretched. After shoving her into the path of the bus, he carries on running without a backwards glance.

He jogged back 15 minutes later, ignoring his shaken victim’s attempts to confront him. For a while, the strange case of the Putney Pusher – a moniker invented by the press – was big news. It made the national news and was quickly picked up by various online forums devoted to speculation surrounding the man’s motives and identity. But, four-and-a-half years later, the seemingly straightforward identification case remains unsolved. The man was never caught, despite London’s vast array of CCTV cameras and a swell of public outrage.

[...]

Despite the scale of everyday surveillance in London, finding the Putney Pusher was never a foregone conclusion. “Unfortunately the image [in this case] showed a person of fairly generic appearance in running gear with no distinguishing features,” says Matt Ashby, a lecturer in crime science at University College London, who has studied the use of CCTV as an investigative tool. Ashby explains that even in cases where CCTV is available to investigators, it doesn’t mean it will always be useful. “This meant that anyone who police suspected of being the offender could simply point out that the image could show any jogger of a similar height and build”.

Despite the number of cameras in London, there are plenty of blind spots and people can quickly vanish into the hubbub. “The vast majority of streets in London are not covered by public CCTV, which tends to be confined to town centres and central London,” says Ashby. “Many shops and other businesses have CCTV cameras that might cover part of the street outside, but obviously there are no shops on Putney Bridge.” He adds that while buses have lots of cameras, there are around 17 on a typical double-decker, most of them face inwards.

[...]

The unsolved mystery of the Putney Pusher

I suspect this is a case of an extremely arrogant person who failed to understand pavements are there for everyone.

Fortunately this case received so much attention hopefully he has seen the error of his ways.

Imagine being in a relationship or having to work with such a person *shudders*

Could a play finally help police solve the mystery of the 'Putney Pusher'? Detectives investigating strange case of jogger who pushed stranger under a bus in 2017 hope drama will encourage witnesses to come forward​

• CCTV footage of the incident shocked the world in May 2017

Once Upon a Bridge will be told just two miles from the scene of the shocking incident in OSO Arts Centre in Barnes.

CCTV footage of a jogger casually pushing a woman into the path of a double decker bus shocked the world in 2017

CCTV footage of a jogger casually pushing a woman into the path of a double decker bus shocked the world in 2017

Despite the clarity of the video, the 'Putney Pusher' was never caught

Despite the clarity of the video, the 'Putney Pusher' was never caught

The 33-year-old woman was saved by the driver of the 430 bus who quickly swerved to avoid running over her head

The 33-year-old woman was saved by the driver of the 430 bus who quickly swerved to avoid running over her

The driver of the bus, Oliver Salbris, was the only victim to publicly come forward

The driver of the bus, Oliver Salbris, was the only victim to publicly come forward

Pictured: The 'Putney Pusher' on the day of the shocking incident

Pictured: The 'Putney Pusher' on the day of the shocking incident

The Met has confirmed this weekend that, although the investigation is closed, anyone with fresh information should contact them directly.

“The footage is clear,” said Kelly. “If he was, say, my cousin I would know him. So if there is somebody watching the play this month, thinking they have more information, I hope they will come forward.”

Just some random observations.....

Who ever he is, I dont think running is his primary fitness. I have been around a good number of high school and collegiate runners.

Needless to say, long term runners tend to have a lean muscle structure. This includes defined muscles on their calves with legs being their primary strength. Like wise, they do not develop broad shoulders a muscular back and likely a deep chest.

The pusher looks like a gym iron pumper. But.... not a serious iron pumper or former football, rugby player as they tend to have either a larger physique, or have legs and forearms in proportion to their chests.

Rather, I am thinking company fitness room for say, 30 minutes a day, three days a week (an early suspect who has been completely cleared was a NYC executive) or in the USA, the same time on the Planet Fitness weights.

I think that it is also interesting that the shoes do not have a visible logo. This could suggest a middle aged pusher who neither runs frequently (lack of running shoe brand) and who is beyond the "Gotta get the cool Nikes" buys.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox