UK - London's Burning - Tottenham Riots, August 2011

I agree Forthe Kids, it is a great big mess, I think in a few weeks the cold light of day will hit these politicians with their knee jerk reactions

Here's the guy (see links above).....

Remanded in custody - the 'Bad Samaritan' accused of
attacking Malaysian student in the robbery that shocked the world

A man has been charged with the robbery of a young Malaysian student that shocked the world.

Mobile-phone footage of the callous attack, branded ‘disgusting’ by David Cameron, showed a gang of looters pretending to come to the aid of injured Asyraf Haziq Rossli, 20, who was lying on the ground.

The looters played ‘good Samaritans’ by helping him to his feet – then robbed him.

Reece Donovan, 21, of Romford, Essex, appeared yesterday before magistrates in Westminster, Central London, accused of robbing Mr Rossli of his Nokia mobile phone and a Sony PSP console.
---
More, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above.

alleged "Bad Samaritan"

Pair remanded over murder of three Asian men mown down while protecting community from looters
A 26-year-old man and a teenager were remanded in custody today over the murders of three men who were mown down by a car during the riots.

Joshua Donald, 26, and the 17-year-old youth - who cannot be named for legal reasons - appeared at Birmingham Magistrates' Court.
---
District Judge Michael Wheeler said to him: 'It is said that on August 10 you murdered Shazad Ali, it is also said you murdered Haroon Jahan and you also murdered Abdul Musavir.'
---
More at Daily Mail link above.

You know Horsie i was thinking today...even if no one else is happy about the riots i bet the Murdochs are...cause for the first time in months its kept THEM out of the papers lol.

Murdochs are back in the news!

And this, from Guardian, on draconian sentencing:

Two men who posted messages on Facebook inciting other people to riot in their home towns have both been sentenced to four years in prison by a judge at Chester crown court.

Jordan Blackshaw, 20, set up an "event" called Smash Down in Northwich Town for the night of 8 August on the social networking site but no one apart from the police, who were monitoring the page, turned up at the pre-arranged meeting point outside a McDonalds restaurant. Blackshaw was promptly arrested.

Perry Sutcliffe, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result.
---
more here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/16/facebook-riot-calls-men-jailed
The revelation that magistrates were advised by justices' clerks to disregard normal sentencing guidelines when dealing with riot-related cases alarmed a number of lawyers who warn it will trigger a spate of appeals.
---
Paul Mendelle QC, a former chairman of the Criminal Bar Association, said: "The idea that the rulebook goes out the window strikes me as inherently unjust. It sets all manner of alarm bells ringing. Guidelines are not tramlines. There are guidelines and they take account of aggravating and mitigating circumstances.

"There have been rulings following the Bradford riots and Israeli embassy demonstrations that said which sort of guidelines should be followed. I don't see why [magistrates] should be told to disregard these."
---

One of those nice stories....

A little off the top... if you can reach: England star Peter Crouch visits Tottenham barber whose shop was targeted by rioters (Daily Mail)
When rioters targeted Aaron Biber's barber's shop in Tottenham, they stole the hairdryers, smashed the shop up and broke the windows.

However of the things they chose to leave behind, one was a signed photo of England footballer Peter Crouch.

So when the England star heard of the attack on the 89-year-old's shop he decided to pay a visit... and even had time for a trim.

Crouch visited the shop in Tottenham High Road today as he lent his support to the 'Keep Aaron Cutting' campaign.
---
the rest, with plenty of pictures, at link; I'd seen Mr Biber's picture, standing forlornly in his ransacked shop, a couple days after the Tottenham melee

Wow, here's a sobering tale of misidentity:

Teenager cleared of setting fire to Miss Selfridge during Manchester riots
---
Dane Williamson, 18, said he had had a nightmarish ordeal after he was charged with being involved in causing £500,000 damage to the Market Street store during the riots, despite having five alibis.

He was charged with criminal damage and being reckless over property damage or endangering life. His name was widely reported and Facebook groups were set up on which he was identified and subjected to abuse.

Williamson's flat in Salford was damaged by fire while he was on remand in Forest Bank prison; he lost all of his possessions and is now homeless.
---
---
Dane told how he had been arrested, saying: "One of my mates had said: 'Are you sure you were not involved in the riots? The photo of the arsonist looks a bit like you.'

"We had a laugh and a joke about it. Two police officers were stood in front of Phones 4 You, and I said: 'I'll prove it's not me,' and walked in front of the coppers. When I came out of the shop they grabbed me and then three more approached and asked if I had been involved in the riots. I said no.

"The next thing I was arrested in the middle of the street on suspicion of arson. I couldn't believe it. It was surreal. I was taken into police custody and it was all very distressing."
---
much more at guardian.co.uk link above

Mark Duggan's mother says she is still waiting for answers about shooting (Guardian)
Pam Duggan says lack of information a year after death that sparked riots 'makes me think police have something to hide'
The family of Mark Duggan say that as the first anniversary of his death approaches they have still received no information about why he was shot dead by police.
---
Duggan's mother, Pam, said she believed she was not getting answers because the police were hiding something: "Why aren't they giving us the information?

"It makes me think the police have something to hide. I don't like to use the word 'killed' in relation to what the police did to Mark. I say that he was assassinated by the police. I'd like to see the police officer who killed Mark get sentenced like any other human being. That police officer shot him in cold blood."
---
the rest at Guardian link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean