UK - Lucy Letby Trial - Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION*

Shortly before 3pm on Tuesday, August 8, trial judge Mr Justice James Goss told the 11 remaining jurors that he would now accept a majority verdict from them.

That means if 10 out of the 11 jurors agree on a verdict, that will now be accepted. Previously, the jury had to be unanimous on all counts.

Addressing the jury at Manchester Crown Court, Mr Justice Goss said: 'I am going to ask you to return to your deliberating room and continue with your deliberations and strive to reach unanimous verdicts.

'However, the time has now come when it is possible for me to accept verdicts upon which you are not all agreed, commonly referred to as majority verdicts.

'It must be by a majority of at least 10 of you, either 11-0 or 10-1. Nothing else will do.'

Addressing the jury at Manchester Crown Court, Mr Justice Goss said: 'I am going to ask you to return to your deliberating room and continue with your deliberations and strive to reach unanimous verdicts.

'However, the time has now come when it is possible for me to accept verdicts upon which you are not all agreed, commonly referred to as majority verdicts.

'It must be by a majority of at least 10 of you, either 11-0 or 10-1. Nothing else will do.'

So I think we will likely have some verdicts this week.

On Thursday, August 10, the jury resumed deliberations at the later time of 11.55am.

The judge told the jury he apologised for keeping the jury waiting, as he had to "deal with a matter" which was "nothing to worry about".

The judge added for Friday, the court sitting time would be between 1pm-4.30pm, as a juror had a prior commitment. That would be in the event the jury did not come back with verdicts today.

He added that, should the deliberations continue into next week, the proposed deliberation hours would be extended to 10.30am-4.30pm, rather than 10.30am-4pm.

The jury resumed deliberations at the earlier time of 10am on Wednesday, August 16.

The trial began in front of a jury on October 10, 2022.

The Standard will continue to provide news on any developments from court.

18th August 2023 -

Serial killer Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering and poisoning babies at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

More than 10 months after the former neonatal unit nurse's trial first began at Manchester Crown Court in October 2022, the jury found her guilty of seven counts of murdering babies, and seven counts of attempted murder on six more babies, after 110 hours and 26 minutes of deliberation.
This means Letby is the most highly convicted child serial killer in UK legal history.

It can now be revealed that some verdicts were delivered on Tuesday, August 8, Friday, August 11, Wednesday, August 16 and Thursday, August 17, but reporting restrictions were imposed to prevent publication of those until the jury had finished all their deliberations. [...]

Letby made her last appearance in Manchester Crown Court on the morning of Wednesday, August 16, when the jury began its 20th day of deliberations.

Trial judge Mr Justice James Goss informed the court, the following day, that he had received a note to say Letby would not be returning to court, and was not intending to attend the sentencing hearing, and was "not prepared" to appear via videolink. [...]

The 22 charges and the jury's decision:

• Count 1 - murder of Child A, a baby boy, on June 8, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 2 - attempted murder of Child B (twin of Child A), a baby girl, between June 8-11, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 3 - murder of Child C, a baby boy, on June 14, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 4 - murder of Child D, a baby girl, on June 22, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 5 - murder of Child E, a baby boy, on August 4, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 6 - attempted murder of Child F (twin of Child E), a baby boy, on August 5, 2015: GUILTY UNANIMOUSLY
  • Count 7 - attempted murder of Child G, a baby girl, on September 7, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 8 - attempted murder of Child G on September 21, 2015 at about 10.15am: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 9 - attempted murder of Child G on September 21, 2015 at about 3.30pm: NOT GUILTY
  • Count 10 - attempted murder of Child H, a baby girl, on September 26, 2015: NOT GUILTY
  • Count 11 - attempted murder of Child H on September 27, 2015: NO VERDICT
  • Count 12 - murder of Child I, a baby girl, on October 23, 2015: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 13 - attempted murder of Child J, a baby girl, on November 27, 2015: NO VERDICT
  • Count 14 - attempted murder of Child K, a baby girl, on February 17, 2016: NO VERDICT
  • Count 15 - attempted murder of Child L, a baby boy, on April 9, 2016: GUILTY UNANIMOUSLY
  • Count 16 - attempted murder of Child M (twin of Child L), a baby boy, on April 9, 2016: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 17 - attempted murder of Child N, a baby boy, on June 3, 2016: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 18 - attempted murder of Child N on June 15, 2016, at about 7.15am-7.30am: NO VERDICT
  • Count 19 - attempted murder of Child N on June 15, 2016, at about 3pm: NO VERDICT
  • Count 20 - murder of Child O, a baby boy, on June 23, 2016: GUILTY UNANIMOUSLY
  • Count 21 - murder of Child P (triplet brother of Child O), a baby boy, on June 24, 2016: GUILTY 10-1 MAJORITY
  • Count 22 - attempted murder of Child Q, a baby boy, on June 25, 2016: NO VERDICT

Victim Impact Statements and Sentencing

7:46am

While some may analyse the profile of Lucy Letby, speculating what possessed her to become a serial killer on a neonatal unit, the focus of today should be on the victims' families.
For ones where guilty verdicts were obtained, their reaction was that of 'heartbroken, devastated, angry...numb', while for ones where no verdicts were reached, their search for answers continues.

8:32am

In the hours following the verdicts, the Government announced its intention to set up an independent inquiry into the Lucy Letby case.
One of the Countess of Chester Hospital whistleblowers, consultant Ravi Jayaram, said in a statement on Facebook he is is calling for those who stalled and "potentially facilitated a mass-murderer" to be held to account: Lucy Letby: Countess whistleblower calls on bosses to apologise
Lawyers representing two of the families say the terms of the inquiry so far are "inadequate": Call for full public inquiry to investigate Lucy Letby murders
While one of the main medical experts called upon in the Lucy Letby trial, Dr Dewi Evans, has said hospital executives who failed to act on concerns about the serial killer nurse should be investigated for corporate manslaughter: Lucy Letby: Police urged to probe hospital bosses for corporate manslaughter

10:02am

The trial judge has entered the courtroom.

10:03am

The judge reminds the court that reporting restrictions remain in place for all the victims and their families, and reporting their names is punishable by imprisonment.

10:03am

Lucy Letby has refused to turn up to court, Nicholas Johnson KC, prosecuting, says.

10:06am

Mr Johnson tells the court that a person convicted of murder receives a life sentence.
He says this is a "very clear case", that the offences are "so serious", that the 'early release provision' should not apply.

10:09am

He says the appropriate starting point in such a case as the defendant's would be a "whole-life order".
He says all the offences had a substantial degree of pre-planning, and all fit the description of 'sadistic', and all seven murder charges were that of a child.
The maximum sentence for attempted murder is also life, he tells the court.

10:09am

The judge says even on their own, the attempted murders would be "exceptionally serious".

10:11am

Benjamin Myers KC, for Letby's defence. He says the sympathies lie with the victims and their families.
He says Letby has maintained her innocence throughout the proceedings, and was found guilty, and the court must proceed on that basis.
The sentence is "fixed by law" and there is "nothing to add" in mitigation that is capable of reducing the sentence that is passed.

10:11am

Prosecutor Philip Astbury rises to read out victim statements. The first is the mother of Child A and Child B.

10:15am

She says 2015 was "going to be the best year of our lives" and "everything was perfect", with the babies doing well in the neonatal unit. Child A was "really strong"
She said they would never have imagined there would be "such despicable actions" by a nurse.
"We never got to hold him, as you took him away"
"What should have been the happiest time of our lives became our worst nightmare".
The parents were "riddled with fear" for Child B after Child A was murdered.
"You have been successful in your quest to cause maximum pain".
The mother said "we are forever grateful that you were unable to take [Child B] away that night".
"You tried to take everything away from us. You thought you could 'play god'."
"We hope you live a very long life and spend every single day suffering for what you have done.
"My family will never think of you again. From this day forward, you are nothing."

10:20am

The mother of Child C has come forward to read out a statement in court.
"I have thought a lot...about whether to let Lucy Letby know of the extent of our pain".
She said there was an immediate bond of love between her and her child, like nothing she had felt before, "my tiny, feisty boy, my son".
The collapse was "so unbelievable", and the parents only held Child C as he lay dying.
"Knowing now that his murderer was watching us was like something out of a horror story".
"I blamed myself entirely for his death, and I still feel guilt I couldn't protect him."
"Eight years have passed, our grief is just as heavy, but we have worked hard to build a life around it."
The mother relays the milestones she has missed with her son growing up.
"All of the things we have missed, we will never know.
"In the darkness of the days, weeks and months, I would open his memory box - I would sniff his lock, I would touch his handprint."
"On July 3 when Letby was arrested, these few memories were tainted. She took those memories [for us]."
"I feel able to wear his hand and footprints for the first time in five years.
"I will not allow [her] to even take that.
"I am horrified someone so evil exists."
"There is no sentence that will ever compare to the excruciating agony you have caused...you killed them on purpose, you are evil, you did this."

10:31am

The mother of Child D has come forward to read out a statement in court, as families wipe away tears in the public gallery.
"Lucy Letby had a wicked sense of entitlement - you have failed our plans we had for [Child D]. You are clearly disconnected of god.
"After today I hope to be free of this limbo state.
"My heart broke into a million pieces" when Child D passed.
"Those lives were not yours to take"
"I cannot forgive you".
The mother was offered the chance for Child D to be an organ donor. A baby needed a heart. A post-mortem was required as the death was unexplained, and Child D could not be a heart donor. She said this broke her heart.
"Our family cleared all traces of baby stuff from the house."
Child D's bedroom door remained closed for many months. Her ashes were buried on her due date.
She said she felt "painfully empty" and wanted to be "her mum in every way", and felt guilty, wondering if she had "failed her daughter".
The mother said she got clued up on medical terms and requested information from the hospital after Child D died. "Things just didn't add up".
The mother said Letby's arrest was "something else to overcome".
She said she became "obsessed" and "thank God police started their investigation".
She says she sometimes struggles with grief and depression, and has lost her confidence as a friend, a mother and a wife.
She says she feels she has lost so many years of her life, and "many struggles to overcome", crying every day, having to take time off work. She says she was "mentally exhausted" and "very lonely".
She says she found comfort and the courage from her prayers to carry on. Her husband found the trial "harder" than her.
The mother found giving evidence in court "overwhelming" and "invasive".
She says she found "some comfort" in getting answers and meeting other families.
"We wanted justice for [Child D] and that day has come."

10:41am

The mother of Child E and Child F has come forward to read a statement.
She said "our dreams had come true" when the twin boys were born.
"Never were I to imagine that [Child E] were to die."
"Losing [Child E] was the most difficult thing I had ever experienced".
When Child F collapsed, she thought 'no please, not again', and "it was a living nightmare".
On July 3, 2018, the mother said her world was shattered as the news came through of Letby's arrest.
"We felt cheated, deceived and utterly heartbroken once more".
She said she had felt guilty, having trusted Letby and followed instructions "diligently".
"We were robbed of precious time with our baby boy - having to grieve in the presence of Letby", who had dressed him.
"Our babies were extraordinary miracles - I was walking on a cloud of pure happiness. Letby deliberately caused significant harm."
"I still struggle to understand why it happened to us."
Letby's behaviour was "a sadistic act".
Child F has been left with learning difficulties, which the mother believes was as a result of Letby's attempted murder.
"It breaks my heart to know that things could have been so different for him."
She says during Letby's time under police investigation, until she was charged in November 2020, the family of Child E and Child F were in limbo.
She said the moment of Child E's crying was "etched in her mind", and found it insulting when she was challenged on that account when giving evidence in court.
"Lucy abused the power she held. She claimed we had a good relationship...it should have been strictly professional. I was vulnerable, doing my best to get through each day. The lies she has told fill me with anger."
"Nothing can changed what has happened to us. We are living with Letby's crimes."
"Lucy is right, she attacked them on purpose because she was not good enough."
She says her babies were 'pawns' in Letby's "twisted game".
"The trial felt like a platform for Lucy to relive her crimes.
"She has repeatedly disrespected my boys' memory."
The 'best thing' Letby could have done was take the stand, when "her mask slipped", the mother adds.
Letby's refusal to attend sentencing is the "final act of wickedness from a coward."

10:53am

A statement is read out by Mr Astbury from the father of Child G.
He said after a long wait at the hospital, a 12-week scan was positive.
He recalls Child G had given birth in the bathroom to a baby girl, who was "so premature" but was "doing well".
"For me, what has happened has damaged my faith".
"He [God] saved her, but the devil found her."
He said Child G should have been at the Countess for just a few weeks. After her transfer, following an attempted murder, he could tell Child G was different.
When she was brought home, Child G was still "so small", weighing just 5lb. She began to miss developmental goals, and the extent of her brain damage became clearer two years later at a scan, and she has been hospitalised numerous times since.
He recalls other occasions on which Child G was poorly and had to be ventilated. He says the mother finds it difficult to trust people in hospitals, after what had happened.
He says when Child G has a bad night, the mother has a day bed to be with her. Prior to this purchase of the day bed, the mother was sleeping on the floor.
He says the concern is what happens if Child G outlives the parents, and who would care for her.
He says their home has been adapted to care for Child G's needs, and the council asked for £10,000 to pay for the adaptation.
He says when they go on holiday, "meticulous planning" is required. A fridge is required in the room, for Child G's medication.
The family are "limited" in doing normal things.
He says Child G will never have a first boyfriend, a kiss, or get married. She will always be in her chair, dependent on others. He adds Child G is stubborn and remains strong.
On the police investigation, he says he wanted it over so the family could get on with their lives.
Child G is in the process of being lined up for spinal surgery.

11:05am

A statement from the mother of Child I is read out by Mr Astbury.
The mother recalls the first collapse of Child I made her "paranoid", and she was told the cause of it was an infection. She said she took extra precautions as nothing was worth the risk of this happening again.
She said the parents had a rota to be with Child I, which was "exhausting". At the second collapse, she had 'begun to relax' as Child I had been improving. The mother said within half an hour of visiting a friend, she got a call to go to the hospital asap.
When she arrived, she was on her own, it was "so scary" having to watch "our tiny girl fighting so hard".
"We kept thinking, why is this still happening?"
The collapses were "getting worse".
Before the third collapse, Child I was 'like a full-term baby' - a "very content little girl", and talked about bringing her home.
At the third collapse, the family were in 'fight or flight' mode. Child I had been unresponsive.
Child I 'suddenly picked up' after being transferred to Arrowe Park. She looked swollen, in a lot of pain, and her eyes looked very sad. She was transferred back to the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The family were told Child I could still be home for Christmas.
The mother said she was informed about another collapse for Child I. She felt uneasy, and went to the hospital. When she arrived, this was 'different', as Child I was not fighting.
"I couldn't look at the monitors as I knew she was worse than the previous times."
"I can't even begin to explain the pain when we lost her - our gorgeous little princess."
The mother said she would wear sunglasses to hide her tears from others in the months afterwards, and felt like she was "sinking into a black hole".
The father "really struggled" in the aftermath, and the impact was felt across other members of the family.
When the police contacted about the investigation, the mother said she thought it was about possible hospital mistakes. Upon being asked to relive the events, this had a big impact on her, and she started therapy for PTSD. She remembered her "whole body shaking" on the news Letby was arrested.
"We dug for years, trying to get answers for what happened...it's impacted so much of our family. To be told what happened to our daughter...I don't think I'll ever get over the fact our daughter was tortured until she had no fight left."
"[Child I] should be eight this year."

11:09am

Mr Astbury reads out a statement from the mother of Child L and Child M.
She said she was second on the scene when Child M collapsed, and that moment will live with her. She said she has suffered five years of restless nights.
The father's statement is read out. He says the events have taken their toll.
He said he was first on the scene when Child M collapsed, and that scene is "forever etched" on his mind. He said therapy will never help deal with what happened.
He said the trauma of the events since caused him to have a seizure, which was very distressing for family members who saw it.
"This whole case has taken its toll on me as a person". He says his patience has worn thin as time has gone on, and he is no longer a "happy-go-lucky" person.
He says there was one day during the trial where he was in Lucy Letby's view in the public gallery, and she kept looking over, which made him feel uneasy, and he had to move in the afternoon.

11:18am

A statement is read out for the mother of Child N.
She said Child N was everything she had ever wanted in life. When the baby boy was born, she hadn't planned for him to be taken to the neonatal unit, and she was so upset.
Preparations were taking place for Child N to be coming home. When they received the news Child N was poorly, they couldn't believe it, and were presented with an "utter catastrophic scene" when they arrived, "not knowing if he was going to live or die".
"The pain was immeasurable - we both live with this every day".
Child N was transferred to Alder Hey Children's Hospital. The longer trip made them "exhausted" both physically and mentally.
She said she knew Child N had been deliberately harmed, and based it on a mother's instinct, and told her partner so, at the time.
When Child N eventually came home, she said she only wanted her or her partner to take Child N for medical appointments. She says she suspects Child N had lasting effects from the attempted murder.
She says there has only been one occasion when the parents have been out socially, since, as they have difficulty trusting anyone else to look after Child N.
A baby monitor was in place until Child N was four or five years old, and Child N still has a camera, as she says they are 'overly protective' of their boy.
She says anything else in life didn't matter, only the welfare of their son. "We do everything possible to keep in safe. If that means wrapping him up in cotton wool, then that is what we'll do."
She says there was a 'mixture of emotions' when police were investigating. They were 'happy and relieved' they were 'finally being listened to'.
He said the worst part of going to court was being away from Child N. Having to listen what she did "weighed heavily" on her mind.
"We don't want her to know the damage she has left - we didn't want her to get any further satisfaction."

11:19am

The final statements are from the parents of Child O and Child P. These have been pre-recorded and are played to the court.
The mother reads out the statement first.

11:28am

The mother said in June 2016, she was still recovering from the birth of her triplet boys, and it was "difficult to put into words" when Child O passed away - it was "traumatic".
She said she was in "total shock and disbelief".
The following day, she felt more reassured when she saw the other two triplets. Child P later collapsed and the mother said she felt she blamed herself, thinking she had passed on some kind of illness.
She said she had to remain strong for the surviving triplet's sake, but had a "horrible feeling" he was next.
She says there was additional guilt that the extended family were unable to have any time of Child O.
She said it was a traumatic experience having to think of what should be written on Child O and Child P's gravestone. She said returning to the hospital, when another family member was admitted, gave her flashbacks.
The mother said she had a further child in 2017, and the parents had 'point-blank refused' to have the baby cared for at the Countess.
She says the time around June is always a difficult time to face.
She said she was initially asked to be a witness, and that meant she had to miss most of the trial, only for her not to be required as a witness at the last minute.
She says the court environment was "extremely harrowing", and she placed herself behind a monitor so she was not in the line of sight of Letby. Her first appearance was in March 2023.
She says having to come to terms with the police investigation has been "unbearable" and hates the fact Letby was the last person to hold Child O.

11:47am

The pre-recorded interview is now played from the father of Child O and Child P.
He recalls being "shocked" at the news of triplets.
He says the parents were "both overwhelmed", but the pregnancy progressed well.
The birth was traumatic, but the team were happy with the triplets' health, as they were admitted to the neonatal unit.
The parents were "so excited" to see the boys doing well when they went to see them.
On June 23, "things started to go downhill", when he was informed Child O had had a collapse. He said he was thinking the worst, and informed the mother.
He said the moments of seeing Child O die were horrific and something he would never forget. "It felt like a stab in the heart".
"No-one at the hospital had any explanation"
After Child O died, the parents were "extremely concerned". "It was hard to disguise our emotions".
"No-one really knew what to say, it was an awkward silence."
The following morning, the parents were informed Child P was poorly. They were told 'it's happening again'. They "didn't know what was happening", and could see Child P looked worse than before.
"I thought we were going down the same roads we did with [Child O]."
Child P sadly passed away later that afternoon.
"We were pleading with the doctor [at the transport team] to take [the surviving triplet] away with them".
He said it was a terrible situation to be in.
He said they had received no guidance from the Countess in terms of support following the deaths of Child O and Child P.
The father details further problems in the parents' lives took their toll on their mental health.
He said he felt guilty for showing happiness in the surviving triplet's life, that he could not take any joy from it.
He said in the aftermath, he "hit rock bottom". As his life was "slowly improving", news came through of Letby's arrest. He was gobsmacked but relieved there appeared to be some sort of explanation. He said he had believed there was "some form of clinical negligence", but never believed the boys had been "murdered on purpose".
He says he struggles to socialise with friends or family, and finds it difficult to answer the question on how many children he has.
He adds coming to terms with the police investigation has been difficult.
He said he had initially been called as a witness, and seeing Letby for the first time was "extremely difficult".
He said the actions of Letby's text messages and Facebook searches were "in poor taste", and found it difficult to see the mother being "so upset".
"Lucy Letby has destroyed our lives."
He adds the pressure of the trial has been difficult to describe.

11:48am

The judge says "for a number of reasons" he will have a break for the court. He will proceed to sentencing remarks at 12.30pm.

12:26pm

The courtroom is filling up with families and legal teams once more. Two prison dock officers are also present but Lucy Letby is not.

12:32pm

The judge has returned to the courtroom.
The sentencing remarks will be broadcast as live, on a slight delay.

12:33pm

The judge says Letby has refused to attend court, and he will sentence her in her absence. He says a transcript of his remarks, and all the victim impact statements, will be sent to her.

12:36pm

Mr Justice James Goss details the counts for which Letby is to be sentenced.
He says Letby acted "completely contrary" to human instincts and acted with the intention to deliberately harm them.
He said she had told "many lies in this case".
"There is no doubt that outwardly you were a conscientious and a professional nurse, which allowed you to harm babies without suspicion for some time."
"Your fellow neonatal nurses spoke highly of you, and several became your close friends. You became a mentor to student nurses.
"You relished being in the intensive care nursery."

12:38pm

He says the methods of harm were only revealed by the detailed investigation. There was pre-meditation and cunning used.
The great majority of her victims suffered "acute pain" and all "fought for survival". Some sadly died.
He says Letby on some occasions falsified records, and took advantage of family members or staff being away from the babies, to harm them.
He says as the number of unexplained collapses rose, staff began to "think the unthinkable", and Letby was the common factor.

12:40pm

He says Letby would cruelly and callously make inappropriate remarks to family members in the aftermath of a death.
Confidential documents were found at Letby's home, and there were entries in a diary recording relevant events.
He says he is satisfied she kept those documents as "morbid records" of what she had done to those babies.
She made "repeated searches" on Facebook for families. A piece of paper with dense writing was found in the search of her home.
"The world is better off without me" and "I am evil I did this" were on the note.
The statements by parents were deeply moving, the judge adds.

12:41pm

Siblings have been deprived of brothers and sisters, and Letby had caused deep psychological harm among the families, and relationships have been strained as a result.
He says Letby's motives are known only to her.

12:46pm

The judge recalls the events that led to the death of Child A, by an air embolus, in June 2015. He says Letby knew of the dangers of air getting into the intravenous system.
In the aftermath of Child C's death, Letby had made an inappropriate comment to the family, telling them they had said their goodbyes.
For Child D, Letby was involved in her resuscitation, and referred to 'an element of fate' in the case.

12:49pm

For Child E, Letby sought to reassure the mother on the sight of bleeding. The sight of him dying from a bleed was "harrowing". Letby had said "it could have happened to anyone".
For Child F, Letby poisoned him with insulin - only very small volumes were needed for it to have an effect. He continued to have "dangerously low" blood sugar levels. Child F recovered, but has severe learning difficulties. This method was repeated, eight months later, for Child L.

12:51pm

Attempts were made by Letby to kill Child G, born on the margins of survival but who became stable.
September 7, 2015, was her 100th day of life, and a celebration had been planned by staff. Milk and air was deliberately injected into her stomach by Letby, causing her to projectile vomit, and she desaturated. Letby was nearby, and assisted, and sought to blame a colleague for overfeeding.
Letby referred to her as a 'high risk baby'.
A further attempt was made to kill her by overfeeding, causing her to projectile vomit again, on September 21. The baby girl suffered profound injury to her brain from the September 7, from which she cannot recover, and will require nursing care.

12:53pm

For Child I, the baby girl suffered a series of unexplained and serious episodes.
The judge says it is likely Letby infused air deliberately into Child I, and had caused her to projectile vomit.
At her final collapse, she cried out in severe pain as a result of air embolus. It was "deeply upsetting" for the parents and staff, as Child I died in her parents' arms.

12:54pm

For Child L, insulin was added by Letby to his dextrose bag, and other bags. Air was also injected into Child M's intravenous system, causing him to collapse.
A piece of paper towel of resuscitation notes had been retrieved from confidential waste by Letby, and found at her home. The event was noted in Letby's diary.

12:56pm

On June 3, 2016, Letby attempted to murder Child N, who had haemophilia. Trauma was inflicted on him by Letby, causing him to scream and desaturate. "Fortunately, he survived."

12:59pm

While on holiday, Letby communicated about the triplets born in June 2016, and 'felt at home' in the intensive care unit.
Child O suffered a series of sudden and unexpected collapses as a result of air injected, and trauma injury to the liver. The horror of the efforts to save him were witnessed by medical staff and the father.
The following day, Child P collapsed and died, murdered by Letby. The surviving triplet was transferred to another hospital, "for safety".
Letby later raised the possibility of air embolus in an unrelated case on July 1, 2016. The "cruelty and calculating" actions of Letby were "truly horrific".
Letby pursued complaints of being treated unfairly after being suspended.

12:59pm

The judge says Letby is now 33, and was over 21 at the time of the offences. Murder convictions result in a life sentence.
He says he has to consider a whole-life order.

1:01pm

He says for attempted murder, whole-life cases are reserved for exceptional cases.
He says Letby killed seven vulnerable babies, and attempted to kill six others.
The crimes were of "very exceptional seriousness", in a neonatal unit.
Letby betrayed others trust, and the confidence of clinicians generally.
"This was a cruel calculated and cynical campaign of child murder".

1:02pm

Letby removed confidential records of events, and checked up on bereaved parents, and her actions bordered on 'sadism', and has 'no remorse'.
"There are no mitigating factors".

1:03pm

For each of the offences, Letby is sentenced to life.
The order of the court is a whole-life order for each and every offence.
"You will spend the rest of your life in prison".

1:04pm

The judge adds he wishes to make a few remarks - giving thanks to some in the trial.
He repeats his thanks to the jury for their 'outstanding diligence'.

1:07pm

"This trial will, of course, have had a very emotional impact, and help is available if you need it."
He reminds the jurors of their responsibilities.
He passes his thanks to the "outstanding" court ushers for their diligence and care. Other members of the court and tribunal system are also commended for helping to facilitate so the proceedings can be viewed by more than would normally be the case. "My sincere thanks to all those who were responsible."
He also thanks the court clerks, the prison dock officers, and the member of the mental health team, for helping to start the cases on time every day, and wishes for the message of commendation to be passed to the prison officers' superiors for their work.

1:09pm

The judge thanks the investigation teams for their efforts and roles.
He thanks members of the media for their patience, understanding and co-operation in coverage of the trial.
Finally, he thanks the families in the case, and offers his understanding and deep condolences.
"For all of you, your lives will remain transformed. Your behaviour and dignity has been the highest".

1:10pm

Senior Crown Prosecutor Pascale Jones, of CPS Mersey Cheshire, said: “Today’s sentence means Letby will never again be able to inflict the suffering she did while working as a neonatal nurse. She has rightly been brought to justice by the courts.
“My thoughts remain with the families of the victims who have demonstrated enormous strength in the face of extraordinary suffering. I hope that the trial has brought answers which had long eluded them.”

1:31pm

Following the sentencing hearing, Deputy Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Nicola Evans, said: “Today, Lucy Letby has been handed a whole life order.

“The sentence reflects the true scale and gravity of her horrific crimes and ensures that a calculated and dangerous individual is behind bars for a very long time.

“Nothing will bring back the babies who died or take away the pain and suffering experienced by all of the families over the years but I hope that the significant sentence will bring some comfort at this dark time.

“The victim impact statements read out in court today on behalf of the parents are a chilling reminder of the pain and suffering that each family has had to endure over the years.

“Hearing their own experiences in their own words has been truly heartbreaking.

“I would once again like to say thank you to the families for putting your trust in us and for supporting an investigation that has been running for six years and a trial that has spanned almost 12 months.

“Our thoughts remain with you all at this incredibly difficult time – you are truly remarkable and will always have a place in our hearts.”

1:38pm

Timeline of offending [see at link]

[...]

A source told the Daily Mail last week that Letby's mother was distraught when she was arrested in 2018 – wailing, crying and even telling police, 'I did it, take me instead,' in a desperate bid to protect her. [...]

But texts Letby exchanged with colleagues hinted she sometimes felt smothered by her mother and father and guilty about moving away. She explained they missed her and hated her living alone.

She appeared to speak or text them every day and described them as 'suffocating at times'. She told one doctor friend who was considering moving to New Zealand that she could never do that as it would 'completely devastate' them.

'Find it hard enough being away from me now and it's only 100 miles,' she said.

In a message to another friend, she wrote: 'My parents worry massively about everything & anything, hate that I live alone etc.

'I feel bad because I know it's really hard for them especially as I'm an only child, and they mean well, just a little suffocating at times and constantly feel guilty.'

[...]

[...]

For the past ten months I've been one of just a handful of reporters with a front row seat in Court Seven of Manchester Crown Court. I've been to almost every day of the trial, sitting just a few feet away from the woman accused of some of the worst crimes in modern times.

[...]

But in person, Letby was incapable of showing emotion or humanity. Her demeanour was glacial, her face blank and devoid of expression. When she started giving evidence in her defence, her delivery was so deliberate it bordered on robotic.

[...]

But once she started speaking, there was no inflection in her voice, no evidence of distress, no imploring us to believe she wasn't a killer. As time went on, I just didn't believe her. If she was a caring nurse, surely she would have shown it?

On a couple of occasions, I caught her sharing a joke with the prison officers who brought her to court each day, but as soon as she realised journalists, police officers, lawyers — and especially the jury — were filing in, the mask went back on.

[...]

Letby's boss on the unit gave evidence that she was forthright, unafraid to make complaints about colleagues if she thought they'd made mistakes, no matter if they were a fellow nurse or a much more senior doctor.

When suspicious consultants demanded she be moved off the unit, instead of quietly accepting her new administration role, Letby was furious and mounted a formal grievance against them. I can't help but see similarities in her reported behaviour to that of her parents, John and Susan Letby, who, unusually for relatives of a defendant, weren't afraid to approach and berate the media during the trial, me included.

They suggested reports were biased against their daughter, demanded to know why there were cameras outside the court on certain days, corrected what they felt were mistakes in the coverage and angrily confronted anyone who failed to attend every day of their daughter's defence.

Police sources told me they suspected Letby had given her parents little idea of what she was alleged to have done before they arrived for the start of the trial in October, but, even after listening to months of, at times, horrifying evidence, they remained steadfast in their resolve that their blue-eyed daughter was not to blame.

'She was just there,' Mrs Letby was overheard to say by way of explanation.

[...]

3rd July 2018 about 6am - Lucy Letby first arrest

[Blacon interview 1, 3rd July 2018 7.36pm on video]:

LL: They told me that there had been a lot more deaths and that I'd been linked as somebody that was there for a lot of them.
DS: Did you have any concerns that there was a rise in mortality rate?
LL: Yes.
DS: Ok, so tell me about that. What concerns did you have?
LL: Think we'd all just noticed as a, as a team in general, the nursing staff, that this was a rise compared to previous years.

[...]

"The cases of up to 91 babies who collapsed or died at the Countess of Chester Hospital while she was a nurse there were reviewed by prosecution medical experts during the first stage of the police investigation, it can also be revealed.

[...]

Sources close to the inquiry have said at least 30 babies who suffered suspicious collapses and lived have already been identified by detectives.

When the police were finally called in, in May 2017, Dr Evans was sent the medical notes of 33 children to evaluate.

Following Letby's arrest and publication of her photograph, a year later, many more parents contacted police, which prompted officers to compile and send Dr Evans the medical notes of another 58 babies.

[...]

'I believe there is at least one other case of insulin poisoning out there that needs further looking at. When I went back and checked my notes last week I also found another child who suddenly deteriorated that I suspect was a result of air being pumped into their bloodstream. That child recovered and went home.'

[...]

Dr Evans said: 'I think there will be grounds for a second trial. [...] I will be going back over all my 91 cases, not including those babies Letby was found guilty of murdering or harming, in the coming weeks.'

[...]

Dr Evans also urged police to look at the 247 handover notes that were found at Letby's home, and that of her parents, following her arrest in July 2018. 'I don't think she took them home for posterity,' he said.

[...]

By Judith Moritz
BBC News

What I learned about Lucy Letby after 10 months in court​

[...]

Behind the glass screen of the dock she cut a feeble figure, flanked by prison officers and clutching a pink scarf like a comforter. A severe expression replaced the smiles from her photos.

[...]

The prosecution's case was carefully built on data and documentation, but it wasn't evidence that gave any clue about Letby's character. As the case progressed without any insight into her possible motives, the nurse's personality remained the elephant in the room.

[...]

I came into court one morning, and Letby was sitting just in front of me, staring straight ahead. She looked tense and kept her hands clasped below the counter.

She was asked to stand, gave her name, and swore to tell the truth. I was gripped.

The nurse's defence barrister, Ben Myers KC, got to his feet. He started gently, with questions about Letby's childhood and school days - benign stuff, but I hung on every word - after seven months it was captivating just to hear her speak.

Letby came across as well-spoken and unflustered, thoughtful and co-operative.

I started to detect certain phrases she had on repeat. Asked about the Facebook searches she made for the babies' parents she replied: "That was a normal pattern of behaviour for me."

And asked about taking nursing documents home with her, and storing them? "That was a normal pattern of behaviour for me," she said. It sounded rehearsed.

After five days of relatively tame questioning from her own barrister, the prosecutor, Nick Johnson KC, bore down on Letby. The easy ride was over.

What followed was the court at its most compelling. At first, Letby coped well. She clearly felt equal to her interrogator, and her knowledge of neonatal medicine was obvious - sometimes it veered on cocky.

She disagreed with established nursing guidelines, senior doctors, and medical experts. There were even moments when she tried to outsmart Johnson. Those never ended well.

The prosecutor picked holes in her testimony, pointing out the differences between what she'd told the police after her arrest, and what she was saying in court. He found examples of her disagreeing with herself - highlighting evidence she had previously agreed and was now disputing.

"You're lying aren't you, Lucy Letby?" he'd ask her. "You enjoyed what was going on didn't you, Lucy Letby?"
"No," she'd answer, meekly. It was clear he was getting to her.

The defendant's delivery started to change. She became staccato and monosyllabic. Her voice level dropped to a whisper, and even though I was just a few metres away, it was becoming harder and harder to hear her.

And then, for the first time, Letby asked to stop.

Nick Johnson had been asking her about each baby in the order they appeared on the charge sheet. We were only four babies in - I remember wondering how on earth she was going to manage to get through the remaining 13.

The jury was asked to leave the room, and we were told Letby's welfare officer had visited her. The court finished early for the day and the prosecution team walked out looking jubilant.

They had her on the ropes.

[...]

[Includes a timeline of 13 baby deaths on the NNU in 2015/16]

The couple now suspect that their boy was attacked by Letby, who picked him out as one of her favourites, even getting angry with other nurses when she wasn't allocated him to care for. Once, he was found with an unusual amount of blood in his nappy when Letby was looking after him.

The boy's father told the Mail: 'We had a handmade card and we assumed everyone on the ward got one. But they didn't, it was just us. Inside was a picture of my son with no breathing equipment. She said she took it out to clean or to sterilize it. Now everything's come to light, I should have questioned it more.'

1693305273606.png

Now, among the other fearful mothers is Emily Morris, who alleges that Letby was in the room before her one-month-old son suddenly died, according to The Telegraph.

'She was in the room the day he died,' Ms Morris told the publication, 'And a couple of hours afterwards, he just died. That’s why I still think in my heart that she did something to him.'

The 35-year-old parent even claims that Letby signed a christening book for Alvin when he was baptised at the hospital, with a message reading: 'To Alvin, with love on your special day, Lucy x.'

--

During the coverage of Letby's trial, another unnamed mother also raised her fears about the nurse's potential involvement in her baby's death.

Her baby girl - known only as 'M' - was monitored and treated with antibiotics at the hospital after being born through an emergency caesarean in 2015.

[Includes a timeline of 13 baby deaths on the NNU in 2015/16]
partial transcript -

Reeta Chakrabarti: Our social affairs correspondent Michael Buchanan has this exclusive report.

Michael Buchanan: This is the story of an NHS Trust that didn’t properly investigate why 13 babies died unexpectedly in a one-year period. Instead it turned against the very people who wanted the police to examine the deaths. […]

Susan Gilby joined the Countess of Chester NHS Trust as Medical Director a month after Lucy Letby was arrested. Within two months she was made Chief Executive, a post she held until last December. Through documents and speaking to staff she learned what the Trust knew about the serial killer.

The first three babies died in June 2015. The executive team held a meeting at which it was agreed that an external investigation into the deaths would be held. It never happened.

By October, with seven babies now dead, a staff analysis of the incidents made a link between all the deaths and Lucy Letby being on shift, but it was still seen as coincidental.

In February 2016 with 10 babies now dead, the Director of Nursing, Alison Kelly, and Ian Harvey, the Medical Director, were asked for an urgent meeting to discuss the deaths and Lucy Letby’s links to all of them. They didn’t respond for three months.

Susan Gilby: The paediatricians were discussing the terrible nights on call that they were having. One of them said ‘every time, you know, this is happening to me, that I’m being called in for these catastrophic events which were unexpected and unexplained, Lucy Letby is there’. And then somebody else said ‘yes I’ve found that’ and then someone else had the same response. And they all realised that the common factor for each of them was Letby’s presence on the unit.

MB: In June 2016, two babies died on consecutive days. 13 children had now died. Lucy Letby was on shift for all of them.

The day after the second death the nurse was due back on the unit. Paediatrician Steve Brearey rang the duty manager asking for Letby to be replaced. The manager refused.

Dr Stephen Brearey: I challenged her. I said well are you saying that you’re making this decision against the wishes of seven consultant paediatricians? and she said yes, and I said well if you’re making this decision are you taking responsibility for anything that might happen tomorrow, to any other of our other babies? and she said yes.

MB: Letby went to work and a baby unexpectedly collapsed.

SB: We were urging them to investigate our concerns appropriately and most of us felt the most appropriate way to do that would be to go to the police.

The response from the Medical Director was unsupportive. In an email to the paediatricians obtained by Panorama, Ian Harvey wrote “action is being taken. All emails cease forthwith.”

[email shown on screen –

From Ian Harvey to [names redacted]

29th June 2016 08.58

Subject: RE: Should we refer ourselves to external investigation?

[name redacted] – this is absolutely being treated with the same degree of urgency – it has already been discussed and action is being taken. All emails cease forthwith.

We will share with you what action we are taking.

Ian Harvey

Medical Director]

MB: The police were not called. Instead in September 2016 the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health was asked to carry out a review of the neonatal unit. It urged the Trust to investigate each death individually. This didn’t happen.

Around this time Lucy Letby lodged a grievance procedure against the paediatricians. The internal process concluded that she’d been discriminated against and victimised by the doctors on the unit.

With the paediatricians wanting a police investigation, in January 2017 an Extraordinary Board Meeting was held. The Medical Director Ian Harvey gave a verbal report. He said external reviews had not highlighted any individual as being linked to the deaths and that the Trust was ready to draw a line under the issues.

The Chief Executive, Tony Chambers, said he’d met Lucy Letby and her parents to apologise for what had happened. A statement written by Letby was read out detailing how hard the past few months had been for her.

The meeting decided Lucy Letby would return to the neonatal unit after the paediatricians had written a letter apologising to her.

This is the letter they sent Lucy Letby signed by all seven paediatric consultants in the unit (letter shown on screen).

Against their wishes, they apologised for any inappropriate comments that may have been made, going on to say ‘we are very sorry for the stress and upset that you have experienced in the last year’.

Though the paediatricians feared being reported to the regulator they kept going, pressurising executives to call the police, something the Trust eventually did in May 2017. […]

At the time Letby was arrested in 2018 she was still working at the Trust, no disciplinary action had been taken against her.

"Health Secretary Steve Barclay said he had listened to the families.

He said he had decided a statutory inquiry led by a judge was the best way forward and "respects the wishes" of the families.

Mr Barclay said the key advantage was the power of compulsion.

[...]

He said an announcement about who would chair the inquiry would be made in the coming days - ministers have already said it will be a judge."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back