UK UK - Manchester, 'Angel of the Meadow' WhtFem Skeletal, 16-30, buried, Jan'10

angelofthemeadowWHITE.jpg

This reconstruction, posted by MudaMudaMuda. I didn't wanna recognize her, I really didn't. I just couldn't help but note a familial resemblance. Praying I'm just paranoid. It's a pretty common face for Europe. It's just been bugging me for so long and I just needed to get it out. I really don't know what to think. Is my brain noting things that aren't there? Am I unconsciously inserting myself into situations I have no place in?

Do you have a possible name for her? Really, anything is worth calling it in

I do. This woman shares the same last name of my grandmother and both her family and my grandmothers family originated from the same area. She looks exactly like my grandmother and members of her family too... I'd suspect she'd be ruled out though, or even mentioned on this thread.

Last edited:
I do. This woman shares the same last name of my grandmother and both her family and my grandmothers family originated from the same area. She looks exactly like my grandmother and members of her family too... I'd suspect she'd be ruled out though, or even mentioned on this thread.
Intriguing, off to bump the thread for CNB..

Intriguing, off to bump the thread for CNB..

Worth calling her in, definitely. There is a resemblance to the second reconstruction. But would a nun wear civilian clothing? I guess probably yes, when traveling, some orders allow it.

Worth calling her in, definitely. There is a resemblance to the second reconstruction. But would a nun wear civilian clothing? I guess probably yes, when traveling, some orders allow it.
I'm really not sure... My guess is she probably would when going out for non convent related things. She was shopping for her mother that day, which is obviously not convent related.

I think Christina would probably have been ruled out. DNA testing apparently ruled out over 400 women.

I think Christina would probably have been ruled out. DNA testing apparently ruled out over 400 women.
I guess they did very basic DNA testing, only MtDNA or a very basic autosomal DNA. Also they only compare to women reported missing who are already in a database. Genetic genealogy is still not allowed in Europe.

Lengthy, rbbm.

Unfortunately, this is a different kind of story. There is no ending and the “Angel of the Meadow” remains unidentified, not because of scientific limitation but because the UK is still working to develop a position on genealogical search for law enforcement investigations . Much like in the United States, there are so many unidentified victims in the UK and much like in the United States, these unidentified persons will often not be identified using traditional forensic testing alone. The UK allows “familial search”, but these comparisons are based on STRs. They utilize very few markers and can generally only detect an exact match, parent-child relationship, or sibling relationship. Investigators compared 400 missing persons without a match and this is a time-consuming and costly venture. I can only hope that in the future, there will be a chance to deploy modern DNA testing to help identify this woman and connect her back to family. In the meantime, we teamed up with online advocate Al Ka and the Othram team helped fund a proper headstone for this unknown woman. The headstone was completed just recently, this year.

Last year, there was a legal breakthrough in the Netherlands and for the first time, the courts allowed the use of external DNA databases in two pilot cases. The prosecutor built his case around the fact that they had exhausted all other options and genetic genealogy would be their last resort. They now have good hopes that those two pilot cases will only be the start of a new approach.

IMO, after ruling out 400 women (!), British LE might try a similar approach and seek the courts' permission on the basis of legislation that already exists.

Legal Breakthrough: Dutch Court approves use of private DNA databases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back