Deceased/Not Found UK - Margaret Fleming, 19, Inverclyde, Scotland, 17 Dec 1999 *Guilty*

What I don't understand is how benefits would be paid for that long without some proof of entitlement. I live in England, and maybe it's different in Scotland, but I have to present myself for assessment every two years or so in order to carry on receiving my disability benefits.

Was someone impersonating Margaret or were no checks ever done? If the latter is the case then that is shocking.

It is the same here in Scotland for a number of people that I know, however in this case it seems that there were no check ups over the whole 17 years which is a mystery on its own.

The DWP system is the same UK wide, I just don't understand how she slipped through the net for so long. Even long term or permanently ill/disabled individuals need to attend yearly or every two year assessment, as you said.

"Was someone impersonating Margaret or were no checks ever done?"

I would say no checks were done, as if someone had been impersonating Margaret it would have been discovered by now. Nobody, family, friends, social work etc has seen her in 17 years. No doctors visits, no dentist visits, no DWP assessments, nothing.

IMO she left this earth in 1999.

Arrest powers in Scotland:

[FONT=open_sans]The police can arrest you if they have a valid arrest warrant. A warrant will state the grounds for arrest.

They also have a power to arrest you without a warrant if you are:-[/FONT]

• in the act of committing a crime; or
  • accused by an apparently credible witness of being seen committing a crime; or
  • seen running away from the scene of a crime pursued by others; or
  • threatening danger to the public; or
  • causing an offence to public decency.

What I don't understand is how benefits would be paid for that long without some proof of entitlement. I live in England, and maybe it's different in Scotland, but I have to present myself for assessment every two years or so in order to carry on receiving my disability benefits.

Was someone impersonating Margaret or were no checks ever done? If the latter is the case then that is shocking.

I suspect she might have been getting DLA. Slowly those who get this are being invited in for face to face assessments.

Sounds like no checks had been done for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect she might have been getting DLA. Slowly those who get this are being invited in for face to face assessments.

Sounds like no checks had been done for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The carers asked for more money, that's what caught them out.

The DWP said ok we will just need to speak to Margaret. Boom caught.

Or so the media narrative goes.

But it still doesn't make sense. Even on DLA, you still have to prove that you are disabled, unless you are under 16. If you are over 16, the process will have been started to switch to PIP, which involves face to face assessments, either at a centre or at your home if you can convince ATOS that you are unable to attend the assessment centre.

I am a wheelchair user and I was twice referred to an inaccessible assessment centre. I asked for an in-home assessment, but was denied this. Eventually they found me an accessible assessment unit. From personal experience, I'm amazed that Margaret was never called for a face to face interview. In fact, I don't believe it happened.

But it still doesn't make sense. Even on DLA, you still have to prove that you are disabled, unless you are under 16. If you are over 16, the process will have been started to switch to PIP, which involves face to face assessments, either at a centre or at your home if you can convince ATOS that you are unable to attend the assessment centre.

I am a wheelchair user and I was twice referred to an inaccessible assessment centre. I asked for an in-home assessment, but was denied this. Eventually they found me an accessible assessment unit. From personal experience, I'm amazed that Margaret was never called for a face to face interview. In fact, I don't believe it happened.
I would imagine mentally challenged people are treated differently to physically challenged. A wheelchair bound person might gain the ability to walk again depending on their circumstances. Someone like Margaret won"t ever become unchallenged.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Maybe SHE impersonated Margaret in a wheelchair for the assessments.

what is the amount in American money that they were receiving?

My sister-In-law has learning difficulties (her preferred descriptor), and she is still periodically assessed for her disability benefits.

4SAM, the amounts are dependent on the degree of need. There are different levels of DLA; £21.80, £55.10 or £82.30 care component plus £21.80 or £57.45 mobility component. From what I surmise, Margaret would have been eligible for the highest rate of the care component and the lower rate of the mobility component. This would total £104.10 per week, or £416.40 per 4 weeks, so approximately $550 per calendar month.

If that was the carers only source of income then they will be rummbled.

what is the amount in American money that they were receiving?
I misread this as though you said the carers were receiving money from America and was quite baffled. Was about to ask you for a link to back this rumour up!

I misread this as though you said the carers were receiving money from America and was quite baffled. Was about to ask you for a link to back this rumour up!

And also the American that was charged with attempted murder outside the house in march 2016... lol

It appears that all police activity at the house has more or less stopped now.

Drove past again on Saturday, the mobile police station and a police car are again stationed outside the property.

I believe that they think she is somewhere in the house or grounds, perhaps they are going to demolish part of the house?

Thanks for the local updates Taskforce.

Thanks for the local updates Taskforce.

No problem :)

I think the no-fly zone for drones is still in force, I think police had hoped to have finished the investigation at the property by mid-late Feb. This must be costing them a fair amount.

Why don't the police bug where they're staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't the police bug where they're staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think bugging requires approval from the Surveillance Commissioner but some form of low level 'covert' activity is probably on-going

Its obvious that the police are in for the long game here.

There is a NATO exercise beginning this weekend up on the Clyde (Joint Warrior 171) and I will be up that way again taking photos of the warships and subs, I'll see if I can get a picture of the current state of the property. Don't think there will be anywhere to stop, but i'll report back any movements :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nosferatu
Back