UK - Nurse duped by prankster regarding royal, found dead.

Besides Jacintha Saldanha and her family, I feel sorry for Kate. If I was pregnant and the nurse who was in my room killed herself, I would be horrified and feel it deeply.

the nurse who killed herself was not kate's nurse...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...callers_n_2257231.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

That's true, but this whole tragedy occurred as a result of Kate's pregnancy. I do not envy her having to start out a pregnancy with the death of a nurse - over a prank call about her.

opps sorry everyone. In this past week I've posted I think 3 different articles that I had misread or misinterpreted.

I'm either way off my game, losing my cognitive abilities, or 6 classes a semester is doing more harm that good! (I am getting to that age...two weeks ago I turned the oven on went to pull the roast out for dinner and realized that I had left the roast in the fridge so we had to eat out that day).

My apologies all!

I hope the media learns from this............everything in the media these days is so over the top and sensationalised. I am so sick of media antics and I hope they start learning lessons but I doubt it as now with the internet and social media everything is instant and there are TOO many news sites, news channels, twitters, facebooks, newspapers and magazines to keep filling with stories.

I dont know about in the US but here when they found out she was pregnant it was ridiculous, whole breakfast shows dedicated to the news, all the old photos bought out, will it be called diana, you name it, it was discussed, so we now have this situation where to try to go "one better" than the others they have done this prank call, and it has backlashed badly.

I do feel sorry for all involved, Kate, the broadcasters and this lady's family, as no one expected this, but due to it being replayed and reported way too many times that they got through, I am sure this lady got hauled over the coals and it would have been widely talked about that "two stupid aussies got put through to a royals nurse"..............and the poms take their royals very seriously, this poor girl would have felt/or be made to feel very bad.......

I blame the media and it constantly "going over the top" in its pursuit of a good story.

Maybe the methods are different, but I have been reading a lot of nonfiction about the late 19th century and the early 20th century, and the media, which only ran to newspapers at the time, was almost identical to now. They chased after actresses and other celebrities, peeped in windows, climbed trees, etc. They were consumed with all of the details and scandals, etc. or creating them if none could be found. People have not changed as much as we would like to think.

I don't find this hoax funny at all. The DJs said they were surprised they even got through so What was the goal of the prank? To annoy a busy nurse with bad accents? Kate wasnt on a vacation at a fancy resort, she was sick in a hospital bed probably feeling like crap (can we say crap here?) and crazy nervous like any first time mom. It's just...not funny.

That's what I had heard. Can you provide a link or something showing that? Because I have read reports that "the nurse who took the call" killed herself but that could mean either.

But if it's the case, then what I stated above about pressure certainly wouldn't apply as much and I would tend to agree more roundly with those saying this lady must have had serious underlying issues. The one who spoke and divulged info would be the one, IMO who would feel much more humiliation. I do note, however, that the one who first answered had an accent but the second one not as much.

ETA: I found it! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...nurse-found-dead-prank-callers_n_2257231.html

Ah was just about to post a link, so sorry i didn't get to it awhile ago.

here was my link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-DJs-hoax-Kate-Middleton-hospital-call.html

I don't find this hoax funny at all. The DJs said they were surprised they even got through so What was the goal of the prank? To annoy a busy nurse with bad accents? Kate wasnt on a vacation at a fancy resort, she was sick in a hospital bed probably feeling like crap (can we say crap here?) and crazy nervous like any first time mom. It's just...not funny.

Honestly, as stupid as it was, I doubt very much they ever thought they would get through to her room. They certainly did not have a prepared script and the whole thing was very silly and unorganized. I think they probably figured on having a silly conversation with whoever answered the switchboard and that would be that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-found-dead-in-suspected-suicide-8393289.html

"Ms Greig, seeking to impersonate the Queen, asked to be put through to "my grand-
daughter", prompting Ms Saldanha to reply: "Oh yes, just hold on ma'am.""

BBM- She answered the call, only said one line, then patched her through to Kate's nurse. She isn't even the one who gave out the personal information, though imo she obviously felt intense guilt about it. Imho she must have had some issues prior to this, and it must have just put her over. Technically what the announcers did was a crime in that they impersonated a members of the royal family. imo these announcers will suffer enough without charges. I can't imagine, they must feel sick. I certainly do not think they should be charged in this woman's death. I don't think a person would think this as a reasonable outcome of the prank. I don't think it was classy or appropriate for them to have pulled the prank either- I just think they should not be held criminally responsible for this poor womans' death, as many people are calling for.

IMO of course.

This would've been a big story regardless of when it happened. The only difference would be that we would have to wait until the newspaper arrived to get the latest development. I think the biggest change in the media is that stories that are insignificant and don't affect anyone are able to make national news. They are all forgotten a day later. I remember on GMA, they had some HS football players who became friends with a bullied girl. Okay, that's sweet but why are they being interviewed on national TV? Everyone got over that story a day later so it's not like there was huge interest. But anything connected to a royal baby would be big, with a viscous media in any time period.

What if it turns out that other people at the hospital or friends or family or neighbors were harassing her over the prank? Like "I can't believe you did that! How careless!" Should they be charged? Are they at fault?

Honestly, as stupid as it was, I doubt very much they ever thought they would get through to her room. They certainly did not have a prepared script and the whole thing was very silly and unorganized. I think they probably figured on having a silly conversation with whoever answered the switchboard and that would be that.

They sure didn't stop and had no problem making their conversation public. So I don't think the idea that they didn't expect to be put through works in their defense.

That might explain why she didn't catch on to the DJs' "bad English accents."

In my opinion, the DJs (or, more likely, their producers) acted negligently. They should have been aware that when you pull a prank involving a stranger, there is a possibility that that stranger will be vulnerable in some way. The nurse probably did have underlying issues, but if the radio station were taken to court over her death, I suspect the eggshell skull rule would apply.

Rut row!!

Clearly, King Edwards VII's Hospital failed to properly train their (starstruck?) nurses to maintain patient confidentiality no matter who they think is asking. Why would the nurse try to be "helpful" if the "help" is a direct violation of her patient's right to privacy? Troubling in each and every way.

Listening to the prank call, I can't help but wonder how ANYONE could take that childish call serious. From the royal corgis barking to the "Queen" giggling and reminding the nurse that she is the Queen and needs a lift to the hospital, and asking Charles why he didn't feed the bloody corgis, how could they even consider it a serious call?

Many of us have had really horrific days at work, however, we do not go home and kill ourselves unless there are serious underlying emotional disturbances. My heart goes out to the both nurses and their families, who unfortunately learned first hand that media is another word for vulture. They will say and do anything to get a story which is always expected of reporters. Some rummage through trash barrels, some spy and lie in wait, but few place prank calls.

One thing that struck me as ODD is that the hospital would assign an educated nurse to reception duties? You don't need a higher nurse's education to answer and direct phone calls within a workplace. Without a doubt, King Edward's hospital needs to accept responsibility for failing to train their nurses in maintaining patient confidentiality AND for hiring and training their receptionist-staff to maintain their duties by the switchboard. Had the hospital done so, the prank call would have been terminated without incident. With an army of reporters gathered outside the hospital, longing for any tit-bit of information, the hospital would have known or should have known that attempts would be made to obtain tit-bits of information from INSIDE the hospital.

The Australian DJs are not to blame for the British woman's demise.

I read that she was Filipina, maybe looking at losing her livelihood and her citizenship.
All for the sake of an idiotic prank :furious:

Since the deceased nurse was seconding as "receptionist" and didn't release confidential patient information, there simply is no way she could have lost her livelihood or citizenship in the process. She likely suffered from underlying emotional issues but due to her right to privacy, we will not be privileged to her medical charts. I find it interesting that this well-educated nurse was assigned as receptionist. It makes little sense or maybe there is a reason for the work-assignment

But she did put the caller through, even though there was a private line which Queen would presumably know to contact directly. I don't know about UK, but here in US hospital could have easily fired both of these nurses.

Besides Jacintha Saldanha and her family, I feel sorry for Kate. If I was pregnant and the nurse who was in my room killed herself, I would be horrified and feel it deeply.

the nurse who killed herself was not kate's nurse...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...callers_n_2257231.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Thanks. I read another post right after I posted and was made aware of that. It's bizarre.

Tragic for everyone but the prank was like most pranks, innocent in nature.

It is the first thing you learn in a workplace in Australia if you work with people's personal details. This wouldn't have happened in the first place if she'd been trained properly by that monument to "discretion".

They also claim not to have disciplined her in any way, so they didn't take the offence very seriously at all at the time. It would have cost her her job in Australia, no question.

This reminds me of the time that the Duchess was photographed sunbaking topless. These people have absolute top level security surrounding them at all times, and this sort of thing happens????

There's a lot of blame to spread and as far as I can see the DJ's are actually only responsible for being DJs.

:dunno:

Snipped by me for space.

I;m kind of curious as to the kind of training a nurse would receive to deal with a situation when someone calls on the phone. Here in the US I don't think ANY info can be given over the phone to a third party. Is it like that in Australia too? What do they tell nurses in training? Thanks!

"She answered their call and, believing the 2Day FM presenters were members of the Royal Family, put them through to another nurse who described Kate's condition in detail."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-middleton-prank-call-receptionist-1478123

But the one who spoke was on a private line, and her expectations might have been that not just anyone could get through to that private line.

"The hospital offers its VIP patients private lines that are connected directly to their rooms but the Australian DJs were able to reach the Duchess’s personal nurse via the switchboard in an apparent breach of procedure."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-found-dead-in-suspected-suicide-8393289.html

Thanks. That makes sense.

That's true, but this whole tragedy occurred as a result of Kate's pregnancy. I do not envy her having to start out a pregnancy with the death of a nurse - over a prank call about her.

Yeah. That would freak me out. And again, I go back to how these celebs are hounded. This is a young, newly married woman who is experiencing her first pregnancy. And it has to be within a fishbowl. Most people in that same situation aren't treated like zoo animals the way she is.

And I think if it wasn't for this general attitude that celeb's privacy is up for grabs, this never would have happened. A lady is dead because of the hyper focus on Kate. I can't imagine how that would feel, especially with all the hormones bouncing around. And being uncharacteristically superstitious (I;m otherwise extremely logical), I would take it as an omen that something bad was going to happen or that my family life would turn out badly. I hope she doesn't.

Maybe the methods are different, but I have been reading a lot of nonfiction about the late 19th century and the early 20th century, and the media, which only ran to newspapers at the time, was almost identical to now. They chased after actresses and other celebrities, peeped in windows, climbed trees, etc. They were consumed with all of the details and scandals, etc. or creating them if none could be found. People have not changed as much as we would like to think.

I agree. However, there was time from the 30's through the 60's, when the media did tend to act with much more decency and a sense of decorum. The downside was the studios owned the stars.

But, can you imagine the things that have been done to this royal family being done "back in the day" to the Kennedys or to Grace Kelly and company?

I don;t think people have changed but standards have reverted to the toilet. I;d like to think we had evolved a bit since then. I guess not.

Ah was just about to post a link, so sorry i didn't get to it awhile ago.

here was my link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-DJs-hoax-Kate-Middleton-hospital-call.html

Thank you so much!

"Ms Greig, seeking to impersonate the Queen, asked to be put through to "my grand-
daughter", prompting Ms Saldanha to reply: "Oh yes, just hold on ma'am.""

BBM- She answered the call, only said one line, then patched her through to Kate's nurse. She isn't even the one who gave out the personal information, though imo she obviously felt intense guilt about it. Imho she must have had some issues prior to this, and it must have just put her over. Technically what the announcers did was a crime in that they impersonated a members of the royal family. imo these announcers will suffer enough without charges. I can't imagine, they must feel sick. I certainly do not think they should be charged in this woman's death. I don't think a person would think this as a reasonable outcome of the prank. I don't think it was classy or appropriate for them to have pulled the prank either- I just think they should not be held criminally responsible for this poor womans' death, as many people are calling for.

IMO of course.

Yes. I agree with this too! They shouldn't be charged. I have no doubt they are horrified at this point. They made a mistake and went too far. They never should have published the whole call. And everyone needs to respect this young woman's privacy. I;d hate to see another Diana situation.

Clearly, King Edwards VII's Hospital failed to properly train their (starstruck?) nurses to maintain patient confidentiality no matter who they think is asking. Why try to be "helpful" if the "help" is a direct violation of a patient's right to privacy?

Listening to the prank call, I can't help but wonder how ANYONE could take that childish call serious. From the royal corgis barking to the "Queen" giggling and reminding the nurse that she is the Queen and needs a lift to the hospital, and to asking Charles why he didn't feed the bloody corgis, how could they even consider it a serious call?

Many of us have had really horrific days at work, however, we do not go home and kill ourselves unless there's already serious underlying emotional disturbances. My heart goes out to the both nurses and their families, who unfortunately learned first hand that media is another word for vultures. They will say and do anything to get a story which is always expected of reporters. Some rummage through trash barrels and many more place prank calls.

One thing that struck me as ODD is that the hospital would assign an educated nurse to reception duties? You don't need a higher nurse's education to answer and direct phone calls within a workplace. Without a doubt, King Edward's hospital needs to accept responsibility for failing to train their nurses in maintaining patient confidentiality AND for hiring and training their receptionist-staff to maintain their duties by the switchboard. Had the hospital done so, the prank call would have been terminated without incident. With an army of reporters gathered outside the hospital, longing for any tit-bit of information, the hospital would have known or should have known that attempts would be made to obtain tit-bits of information from INSIDE the hospital.

The Australian DJs are not to blame for the British woman's demise.

I;m thinking that the nurse was very, very nervous. (The one who talked). I bet the other one was as well (the one who died). That's why they screwed up and broke protocol, I think.

The nurse who connected the call is he one who died. The nurse who gave the report is ok. What a sad story. I feel terrible for the family of the nurse, for the other nurse as well, for Will and Kate (even though it is not their fault it would be hard not to feel guilty) and yes even to the radio pranksters. It was not nice what they did, but I am sure this was not expected at all.

And the (now deceased) Nurse probably transferred the call by announcing "the Queen on line 1" to the second Nurse, who immediate proceeded to violate her patient's right to privacy by divulging privileged health information. Nurse # 1, for some reason assigned as receptionist, did not make an error by transferring the call. It's Nurse -# 2 that royally messed up.

The second Nurse likely blamed Nurse # 1 for identifying the Queen on line 1, however, Nurse # 2 is the one who SHOULD be subject to disciplinary action due to her documented indiscretion and failure to protect patient confidentiality. The hospital has some serious "patient confidentiality" training to do of their staff and should take responsibility for that blatant failure.

Privacy Act Snapshot (Australia)

All individuals in every workplace I have ever been in are trained on these, if they deal with private information of any sort.

What does the Privacy Act cover?

The Privacy Act regulates how your personal information is handled. For example, it covers:
•how your personal information is collected (e.g. the personal information you provide when you fill in a form)
•how it is then used and disclosed
•its accuracy
•how securely it is kept
•your general right to access that information.

The Act also covers more specific matters, such as:
•the use of your tax file number
•how credit worthiness information about you is handled by credit reporting agencies and credit providers.

Sensitive information

There are certain types of personal information that are especially important to your privacy, such as your health or medical information. This information is classed as 'sensitive information' under the Privacy Act. The Act has particular provisions that require that sensitive information be managed with particular care.

How does the Privacy Act work?

The principles contained in the Privacy Act are not prescriptive. That is, they don't tell agencies and organisations what they must do in each situation.

Rather, they offer principles about the way in which personal information should be handled, and each agency or organisation needs to apply those principles to its own situation.

If an agency or organisation breaches the privacy principles, our Office may investigate the matter. Individuals can also make a privacy complaint to us about an agency or organisation if they think their information has been mishandled. See Complaints.

As you can see, medical records especially are guarded. Australian hospitals will only confirm if someone's a patient or not, not their condition or anything else.

These DJs would have had no idea they would actually be told anything private!!!

http://www.privacy.gov.au/aboutprivacy/snapshot

This poor woman may have felt like an absolute fool in the eyes of her colleagues , family, neighbours and of course the whole wide world. Celebrities are accustomed to receiving attention, both good and bad, but the average person, (perhaps a very shy one) is not.
Pranks that involve calling hospitals are not funny.

Since the deceased nurse was seconding as "receptionist" and didn't release confidential patient information, there simply is no way she could have lost her livelihood or citizenship in the process. She likely suffered from underlying emotional issues but due to her right to privacy, we will not be privileged to her medical charts. I find it interesting that this well-educated nurse was assigned as receptionist. It makes little sense or maybe there is a reason for the work-assignment

I read that the call came in at 5:30 AM, and since there were no receptionists in the vicinity, she took the call. I don't think she was actually assigned the position.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back