GUILTY UK - Shani Warren, 26, 'Lady in the Lake' murder, Taplow, Bucks, 1987 *ARREST 2021*

Wow, slightly shocked they have made an arrest after all these years. <modsnip>

When I saw the man arrested was 65 years old, I thought that would match the age of Clive Barwell, who was later considered the main suspect and also mentioned in the link above. However, the article states the man arrested is in police custody and Clive Barwell is still in prison as far as I know, after getting several life sentences in 1999. I don't know if that could still be him?

I really hope this leads to the truth for her family. The Crimewatch reconstruction mentioned in the BBC article is here if anyone hasn't seen it -

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
When I saw the man arrested was 65 years old, I thought that would match the age of Clive Barwell, who was later considered the main suspect and also mentioned in the link above. However, the article states the man arrested is in police custody and Clive Barwell is still in prison as far as I know, after getting several life sentences in 1999. I don't know if that could still be him
You may well be right. This Guardian article about him from 1999 makes for chilling reading Dangerous, in prison - but free to rape

Note these articles are over 10 years old

(same mug shot as that used in articles pertaining to the Shani Warren & Other charges)

(Shani Warren was murdered on 17 April 1987)

22 March 2011

A man who kidnapped and raped a 17-year-old girl almost 24 years ago has been jailed for life.

Donald Robertson, 55, must serve a minimum of eight years in jail after a review into the 1987 crime found new forensic evidence.

His victim tried to escape and believed he had a gun or a knife in his pocket.

Robertson, formerly from Slough, Berkshire, was sentenced at Reading Crown Court after he was found guilty of rape and kidnap in December.

The court heard the attack happened in June 1987 after Robertson approached the teenager as she walked along Bath Road, Slough, in the early hours of the morning.

Man jailed for 1987 rape and kidnap of Slough teenager

May 2010 -

Donald William Robertson, 54, was arrested in Cambridgeshire on Wednesday and charged with one count of rape and one count of kidnap.

BBC News - Man charged with 1987 rape and kidnap of Slough girl

Nov 26 2021
Man charged with murdering millionaire's daughter found bound and gagged in lake

'Donald Robertson told a District Judge he could not attend the hearing over a live video link from custody, as he was in isolation due to a Covid-19 outbreak in the prison where he was being held before the hearing''

0_PAY-Lady-in-the-Lake-pensioner-fails-to-appear-in-court-due-to-Covid.jpg

Donald Robertson is accused of the murder, false imprisonment and indecent assault of 26-year-old Shani in April 1987 (
Image: HNP Newsdesk/Hyde News & Pictures Ltd)

''At the time of Robertson's arrest, Shani's family revealed that both her parents had died during the Covid-19 pandemic, never knowing who had killed their daughter.''

Roberston was due to appear at Reading Crown Court on Monday, November 29, after his case was committed from magistrates court last week, but he refused to leave his cell at Littlehey Prison in Cambridgeshire.

The case was heard without him.

He is charged with murder, indecent assault and false imprisonment of the teenager and the rape and kidnap of a 16-year-old girl from Farnham Lane in Slough on July 16, 1981.

During the 35 minute hearing, no plea was entered.

Sitting at Reading Crown Court, Judge Heather Norton said Robertson will be remanded in custody for a plea hearing on March 11 next year.

A provisional trial was listed for April 26, which will last from three to four weeks and will be held in front of a High Court Judge.

Defendant charged with teenager's murder refuses to leave his cell

Donald Robertson, 66, is accused of tying up, gagging and throwing Shani Warren - who he had allegedly murdered - into a lake in Taplow, Bucks, more than 30 years ago.

But today he refused to appear before the High Court judge Mr Justice Wall via video link at Reading Crown Court.

As well as the historic 1987 murder he is also accused of the rape and kidnap of another then 16-year-old girl from Slough, Berks, in July 1981.

Defending counsel, Michael Ivers QC said: 'There are some people who will engage fully in the process - we have had sufficient engagement to say it (the plea) is not guilty.

'We have been instructed to check out the evidence of the rope and the scientific evidence. The reality is we are not able to give a detailed defence statement.'

Pensioner, 66, denies 'Lady in the Lake' murder when millionaire's daughter was found dead | Daily Mail Online

(it's the second time today Justice Wall has been shunned. Anthony Russell refused to attend his sentencing by the same judge earlier.)

The case against a man accused of murdering a woman and dumping her body in a lake is due to open today (Friday).

Donald Robertson, aged 67, formerly of Slough, is accused of murdering Shani Warren, who was found dead in Taplow Lake days after she disappeared on April 17, 1987, aged just 26.

Proceedings have been underway at Reading Crown Court since Tuesday, with barristers ironing out legal matters and issues in the case.

This morning, the jury is set to be sworn in and the prosecution, led by John Price QC, is set to open its case against the alleged killer.

[...]

Man charged with ‘Lady in the Lake’ murder set for trial TODAY

The case against a man accused of murdering a woman and dumping her body in a lake is due to open today (Friday).

Donald Robertson, aged 67, formerly of Slough, is accused of murdering Shani Warren, who was found dead in Taplow Lake days after she disappeared on April 17, 1987, aged just 26.

Proceedings have been underway at Reading Crown Court since Tuesday, with barristers ironing out legal matters and issues in the case.

This morning, the jury is set to be sworn in and the prosecution, led by John Price QC, is set to open its case against the alleged killer.

[...]

Man charged with ‘Lady in the Lake’ murder set for trial TODAY
Thanks for the update. I think it's fantastic that they have a suspect after all this time. Moo

I find the way these reports jumble up the sequence of the separate offences confusing, so I've made my own schedule :

1. 1981 July (his age 25 yrs old) - kidnap and rape 0f 16 yr old girl less than 4 miles from scene of Shani's murder - denied - part of current trial - victim will testify (with anonymity)

2. 1981 August (his age 25 yr old) - rape of 14 yr old girl - threatened with broken bottle - pleaded guilty in October 1981 (imprisoned for 6 years maybe?)

3. 1987 April (his age 31 yr old) - Shani Warren, 26, indecent assault and murder - current trial

4. 1987 June (his age 31 yr old) - rape of 17 yr old girl - convicted in 2010

5. 1990 April (his age 34 yr old) - attempted rape, kidnap and burglary - convicted Dec 1990

details from court report -Man accused of murdering Shani Warren raped girls aged 14 and 17, court hears

Melanie Hall being tied up before her murder is similar to Shani

May 16 2022
''Jurors began their deliberations on Monday morning after being told by Mr Justice Wall, presiding over the trial, that there was “no pressure of time” under which to reach their verdicts. Robertson denies the false imprisonment, indecent assault and murder of Ms Warren between April 16 and 19 1987 – her wrists having been tied with a car jump lead and ankles bound by a tow rope.

He also denies the kidnap and rape of a 16-year-old girl, who cannot be identified, on July 16 1981. Robertson’s trial heard he has convictions for raping two girls aged 14 and 17 in separate incidents in August 1981 and June 1987 respectively, as well as a conviction for burglary with intent to commit rape and kidnap of a woman in an incident in April 1990''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror
Back