GUILTY UK - Six Philpott children, ages 5-13, die in Derby arson fire, 11 May 2012

Thanks for the update, Clio.

I have been trying to stay off of this thread since the parents were charged. That shook me to the core. It made me questions myself because their anguish and pain during that press conference seemed so real to me that I could almost feel it.

This is just so senseless :(

Just a little bump. Those children...they did not look like well cared for children. (imo)
I have no idea if the parents did this, or the ex, or someone one of the above mentioned parties paid. But what a tragedy, any way it happened.

I had been hesitating to say it, because it usually turns a thread into a parenting war pretty quick, but since you said it first, I will agree. The picture posted a couple of pages back that shows all the kids together, well, that one sort of struck me. One kid in the middle is shirtless, the kid on the end seems to be wearing a long sleeved, at least medium weight shirt. Someone is likely uncomfortable because they aren't dressed for the weather. I understand that when finances are tight, hand me downs get passed down that are sometimes not the perfect fit, or kids dress themselves and get it all wrong, but it stuck out to me from the beginning.

My greatest hope is that the kids were at least able to go to sleep as they did every night, with no hint of what was coming, or that if they were aware that something bad was going on, they were at least spared the knowledge that their parents were the cause of it. I wonder if the parents meant for the kids to die. After seeing their interviews, I don't think they did. They seem to be genuinely grieving, which just makes the whole thing harder to deal with.

Just been on the news.

"Police investigating the death of six children in a house fire on Victory Road, Derby have arrested another man.

The 45-year-old man, who is from Derby, was arrested this morning in connection with the investigation into fire.

He is in police custody and will be questioned today. "

http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/New...ted-in-connection-with-Victory-Road-fire.aspx

Also from http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/j...hildren-deaths-house-fire-derby?newsfeed=true

"Derbyshire police confirmed that an arrest had been made on Wednesday morning in connection with the fire, but would not elaborate any further: it is not clear who the man in question is or what specific alleged offence he is being questioned about.

Police added that forensic officers were at an address in the city."

This was a very quick arrest, compared to what we're used to in the states. I wonder if they have the evidence they need or are just hoping public sentiment will get them a conviction?

Since the police have charged two people, they clearly do have evidence. As you say, it hasn't taken long to arrive at this point so I imagine it must be quite compelling evidence.

"Public sentiment" will have no bearing on whether the evidence is enough to secure convictions. That will be down to the members of the jury. That's assuming there will be a trial, of course, as the accused have yet to enter pleas.

I keep going over this. The mother's tattoo puts me in mind of other mothers (such as billie dunn) who rush right out and get a tattoo (or some other rememberance such as what Diane Downs did) It just seems odd.

So then I wonder...did the mother know what was going to happen? Was she in on it? Did he have insurance on her, and she was supposed to go as well? (but didn't know about that part)

Or was she totally innocent and the police are assuming she had something to do with it?

The father...he had been convicted some years back of stabbing someone to death, correct? But that's a far cry from murdering your children. So maybe this was an insurance scheme gone wrong. I have NO idea. But I really wonder what happened at that house.

Police have released the man arrested this morning.

"A man arrested in connection with a fire in which six children died has been released on bail.

The 45-year-old Derby man was arrested this morning in connection with a fire at a house in Victory Road, Allenton, which broke out on May 11.

He was questioned by officers and bailed this evening pending further inquiries."

http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/New...th-Victory-Road-fire-is-released-on-bail.aspx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lpott-children-died-house-arrive-funeral.html

article-2163051-13BC4364000005DC-104_964x335.jpg

They were told to wear bright colours in order to celebrate the lives of six innocent children killed after a house fire tore through their home.

But mourners could not contain their grief when six little white coffins containing the bodies of the Philpott children arrived on horse-drawn carriages at St Mary's Catholic Church in Derby town centre this morning.

The hearse carrying the body of Jade Philpott, 10, led the cortege with a horse sporting a pink plume of feathers. Five more hearses, each with blue feathers, followed, carrying the bodies of her brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, Jayden, five, and Duwayne, 13.

The picture of the elderly lady in the wheelchair set me off earlier. She looks so devastated. :(

That does not rule out someone doing both, though. But let's not go off on a tangent - I was only responding to an earlier post which struck me as somewhat unfair.

Cherwell, that was me. I apologize. It was rude of me and I feel quite hypocritical as I get offended when people insult my country too. I do want you to know that I'm actually quite fond of your country and was just there four months ago. I have many (loose) ties to England and so I suppose I feel somewhat entitled with my opinions when I shouldn't.

:truce:

On another note, I really, really hope these parents are actually guilty because they've just missed their childrens' funeral. And I'm really curious as to who the third person arrested is? Has anyone seen any more info about this third suspect?

I've never seen such beautiful funeral - every tiny little detail was exquisite

On another note, I really, really hope these parents are actually guilty because they've just missed their childrens' funeral.

Quite. It's not something that can be put right if they are ultimately found not guilty. Police say that the risk to their safety was too great to allow them to attend.

And I'm really curious as to who the third person arrested is? Has anyone seen any more info about this third suspect?

He wasn't named by either the police or the media. All they said is that he is a 45 year old Derby man. He was only held for about 12 hours then released on bail pending further investigations.

I've spent a bit of time (a couple of days ago) reading forums and posts and trying to figure it out, but so far, have come up with nothing. I really want to know who he is, what his connection is, and why they brought him in.

I had forgotten the funeral was today. I see not many dressed in bright colours. I don't blame them. I don't think I could have either.

Police have made two more arrests today

"A 34-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman from Derby have been arrested today (Thursday, July 19) in connection with a house fire in Victory Road, Derby.

The fire claimed the lives of six children on Friday, May 11.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: “These latest arrests are part of the ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire. Despite the fact that two people have already been charged with murder, we are continuing our investigation to ensure that all lines of inquiry are completed. "

“No further information will be released at this time.”

From http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/New...rests-in-Victory-Road-fire-investigation.aspx

Okay, so I'm totally confused. Did the parents do it, or did the third guy do it, or did they all work together? At first it was all about the parents, then it was all about the third guy and now, I'm totally lost.

Okay, so I'm totally confused. Did the parents do it, or did the third guy do it, or did they all work together? At first it was all about the parents, then it was all about the third guy and now, I'm totally lost.

We don't know yet. Three people have been charged with murder: the parents and another man named as Paul Mosley. Several other people have been arrested during the enquiry, but they have been released without charge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back