UK - Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian's Wall 'felled overnight', Sept 2023 *arrests*

Moo..I use a chainsaw..I buy chainsaw oil it's generic. That is a pro cut for sure though, and quite nicely done. Think they should just let the stump do it's thing. History is not always pretty or even logical. But this is now part of the history of Hadrian's wall. I named my son after that wall, many years ago

Moo..I use a chainsaw..I buy chainsaw oil it's generic. That is a pro cut for sure though, and quite nicely done. Think they should just let the stump do it's thing. History is not always pretty or even logical. But this is now part of the history of Hadrian's wall. I named my son after that wall, many years ago
Just out of interest what did you call him?

"Police make two more arrests in Sycamore Gap felling case:​

Two men in their 30s are released on bail after iconic tree was cut down."​

"The Sycamore STUMP is still a huge tourist spot: Hundreds of people have visited remains of world-famous tree three months after it was cruelly chopped down in

'act of vandalism'.

1704469680674.png

The Sycamore tree stump is behind fencing and sightseers are asked to keep their distance. It is hoped that next Spring will see fresh growth from the 200 year old stump.

The National Trust, who own the land, have stated on a sign:
'This tree stump is still alive.
If we leave it alone it might sprout new growth, please respect the barrier.'

Workers have removed the vast trunk and branches of 50ft tree have been removed, but twigs - some with green buds on them - remain at the site and some sightseers are collecting them as keepsakes."

1704469920486.png

"Police make two more arrests in Sycamore Gap felling case:​

Two men in their 30s are released on bail after iconic tree was cut down."​

So that's 4 total arrests - a 16 year old male, two 30 something year old males, and the 69 year old male lumberjack?
Are they all related to each other?

Have they put up any remote site security cameras yet? Further vandalism is still possible. (I won't risk giving people ideas by listing what could be done.)
I'm not sure how they could do that, tbh. You can put trail-cams up but it's very exposed up there so there's essentially nowhere to hide them so they'd just get stolen by anyone who was intent on doing damage or being anti-social.

Short of installing a camera tower which would cost a fortune, and in any event would look awful and would never get planning permission, I don't really see what can be done. It's a desolate area and a National Park so there are very limited options for protecting sites like this.

I'm not sure how they could do that, tbh. You can put trail-cams up but it's very exposed up there so there's essentially nowhere to hide them so they'd just get stolen by anyone who was intent on doing damage or being anti-social.

Short of installing a camera tower which would cost a fortune, and in any event would look awful and would never get planning permission, I don't really see what can be done. It's a desolate area and a National Park so there are very limited options for protecting sites like this.
In Australia we have temporary, movable, remotely-monitored, solar-powered, mobile or satelite network, security-cameras called Remote Job Site Cameras or Worksite Cameras.
Mostly used to protect construction materials from being stolen in remote or sparcely populated areas. I've also seen them used to protect local government christmas decorations from theft lol.

In Australia we have temporary, movable, remotely-monitored, solar-powered, mobile or satelite network, security-cameras called Remote Job Site Cameras or Worksite Cameras.
Mostly used to protect construction materials from being stolen in remote or sparcely populated areas. I've also seen them used to protect local government christmas decorations from theft lol.
They'd never install something like that in that location. It would be objected to by everyone and the granny as it would ruin the area. You couldn't even disguise it as a tree or anything as there is literally nothing up there and everything else would just look wrong.

It's a difficult situation, tbh.

They'd never install something like that in that location. It would be objected to by everyone and the granny as it would ruin the area. You couldn't even disguise it as a tree or anything as there is literally nothing up there and everything else would just look wrong.

It's a difficult situation, tbh.
The scenery is already ruined. I don't see why a temporary camera would make it worse

I suppose site security in a van or caravan is out of the question then.
Another good idea

There is a stump, a fence, a sign on the fence
How could it get much worse?

And isn't it more important to protect the stump for future generations than to worry about the temporary aesthetics of the spot?

"Watch amazing moment Sycamore Gap tree grows back:

Seeds taken from historic tree after it was cut down by vandals

start to sprout."

1712088648822.png

yep we have them here directly connected to the police dep't transmitting live - people leave them alone :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe
Back