Unsolved 18 From The First Zodiac Code And Possible Kaczynski/Zodiac Connection

I would like to see a comparison of typewritten messages from both Zodiac and Kaczynski. There could be common typographic errors, similar spacings, etc.

Graysmith in his book Zodiac states that Zodiac used a "portable Royal typewriter with elite type, Canterbury shaded." Whatever that means.

The Royal typewriter company existed from about 1906 to the mid 1970's. Starting in about 1936, they produced a model called the Royal Portable, but later they made a number of different "portable" typewriters with different model names.

Elite type means simply that it was a "12 pitch" typewriter. That is, there would be 12 letters per linear inch and six lines per inch vertically (single space setting). Other typewriters are mostly "10 pitch" models, which have slightly larger print, sometimes referred to as "Pica".

Older typewriters had one kind of type or another, but what they started life with is what they stayed, with slight imperfections. It was not until the advent of the electrical IBM selectrics that interchangable type balls came into being. But even then, a machine was either "12 pitch" or "10 pitch". Very late in the typewriter era, the Selectric III came along on which you could choose either 10 or 12 pitch. Shortly after that, computers made typewriters all but extinct.

I could find no explanation of "Canterbury shaded" in regard to typewriters. Perhaps it refers to the fact that the letters produced looked like a printer's type set by that name.

When the suspect in the Cheri Jo Bates case wrote police, he used all capital letters. I have seen the text of that message, but not the actual document or a photo of it. It is said that he used a number of papers and carbons to come up with a poor quality last copy which he sent to police. Does anyone know of other Zodiac correspondance in which he used a typewriter?

Kaczynski supposedly mailed two typewritten carbon copies of his Manifesto to the Washington Post and the New York Times. Rumor has it that the FBI found the origional document and the typewriter which produced it in Kaczynski's cabin.

Certainly, FBI agents made such statements during their 1996 victory dances and hi fives while taking two weeks to search the cabin. Presumably they found them "with both hands and a flash light". But for some strange reason neither the typewriter nor the origional manifesto was ever shown to the public or put into evidence during Ted's trial.

Getting away from the FBI, there should be photos or copies of what Unibom sent to those newspapers - and that could be compared with the Zodiac type written examples.

Assuming Z and Unibomber are one and the same, any theories on why Zodiac would string authorities along for so many years with his letters and then just drop the identity when taking up residence in a cabin in Montana?

I have looked into the typewriter issue. Ted did in fact own a typewriter of the kind that Zodiac was thought to have used. But so did Arthur Leigh Allen. I don't know if the FBI has made a detailed comparison.

Zodiac said after the Stine murder that he would no longer "announce" his murders or take credit for them.

If Ted was the Zodiac, why doesn't he know admit it now and take credit?

Doug Oswell wrote him a letter asking him to provide an alibi for Zodiac crimes and mailings and Ted did not respond. Ted has never denied being the Zodiac, never admitted either, he has refused comment.

Who can fully understand the mind of a serial killer? And a genius serial killer at that?

My thought is that a small part of Ted would like recognition as Zodiac, America's Jack the Ripper, the man who made the codes the FBI couldn't break.

But a much larger part of Ted does not want to be revealed as Zodiac.

First of all, Ted is serving a life sentence in federal max security, solitary confinement, in a new prison. A confession to the Zodiac and related crimes could expose Ted to a death penalty and/or time in noisy, dirty, crowded state prison. I think Ted likes being alive and where he is.

Most of all, Ted is regarded as a hero by some and a serious thinker by others. He has had books published here and in France. There are those in the radical environmental and primitivist anarchist movements who think the Unabomber crimes of blowing up forestry industry lobbyists and Exxon PR execs were justifiable acts of political violence to "save the Earth."

Ted gets letters from students and professors. He is talked about in certain academic and political journals.

IF TED IS EXPOSED AS THE ZODIAC ALL THAT GOES AWAY.

The majority of those who admire him, his Manifesto, his philosophy and his political/social terrorism would NOT understand or admire sneaking up on teenagers in lovers lanes and brutally murdering them. They would not approve of stabbing a bound woman with a knife. They would not approve of threatening to blow up a school bus. The Zodiac crimes have no obvious political nature and the targets were not political. They are likely the crimes of a sexually frustrated psychopath and that is how they would be viewed.

Thus you can see why Ted does not admit the Zodiac crimes.

Ted had what he called the "Queer System", in which he ranked diary passages and physical evidence on a "Queer Scale." It was 1 to 14, I think, and had "slightly queer", "moderately queer", etc., going up to "totally queer", "Major Queer". The scale determined if things were to be coded, buried or burned.

All of the 16 known Unabomber crimes were detailed in Ted's journals. But Ted wrote that accounts and evidence of unspecified other crimes were, under his queer system, buried or burned, because their exposure would be "dangerous", "embarassing" or "just very bad public relations".

I think these probably are the Zodiac crimes.

KACZYNSKI INTEREST IN CROSSED LINES INSIDE CIRCLES

Just like the zodiac, Kaczynski used crossed lines inside circles as a signature and drew crossed lines inside a circle at a crime scene.

Kaczynski had a life long interest in, almost obsession with, crossed lines inside circles.

1. He signed a yearbook with his "mark" - crossed lines inside a circle.

2. He spent several years of graduate study and his PHD dissertation on the boundary functions of circles, in particular dealing with the unit circle, which looks like the Zodiac symbol.

3. At the campus of a Unabomber target, he spraypainted the Yggdrasil symbol, also known as the Algiz Rune, along with the letters "FC" and "Anarchy". The Anglo-Saxon translation of the Algiz Rune is "Z"! It consists of, once again, crossed lines inside a circle. The Yggdrasil is the World Tree, but it also stands for "tree of terror; gallows", and the Algiz Rune also means to "wound severely; to mark with blood."

kaczyn12.jpg

And a close up on his signature with the crossed lines inside a circle.

ted_ka14.jpg

Close up on Unit Circle, Zodiac Symbol and Unabomber Symbols

kaczyn15.jpg

NOTE: Special thanks to AweShucks for graphics and image work, Ricardo for research on and images of Santa Barbara suspect "Sandy", Doug Oswell for all of his great research in particular on shared words and symbols, Morf for research on Aardsma and other cases, Cimm for info on the Percy case, Linda, Drew and others for reseach and information. Thank you all. Having said that, the ideas and theories here are my own, and it should not be considered that those listed agree with all or any of them.

THE BIRTH OF THE ZODIAC?

In the summer of 1966, most likely late August/early September 1966, Ted Kaczynski records a break through moment in his life. He is a genius, yet socially alienated and isolated. He decribes hearing the sound of couples having sex in the apartment next door to his, and he says it fills him with frustration and anger. Out of despair and self described "acute sexual starvation", he records in his journal that instead of killing himself he will "really kill everyone I hate."

The people he says he hates and wants to kill are many, but they include two distinct groups. One group is what he calls "bigshots" or "government officials", and these include "scientists", "big businessmen", "politicians" and "police".

The other group of people he hated and wanted to kill included love making "couples", "rowdy college students" and those college men and women he deems "promiscuous". Look at the government psychiatric report on Kaczynski done after he was arrested for the Unabomber crimes:

In the summer after his fourth year [of graduate school, the summer of 1966], he describes experiencing a period of several weeks where he was sexually excited nearly all the time and was fantasizing himself as a woman and being unable to obtain any sexual relief. He decided to make an effort to have a sex change operation. When he returned to the University of Michigan [most likely in late August or early September 1966] he made an appointment to see a psychiatrist to be examined to determine if the sex change would be good for him. He claimed that by putting on an act he could con the psychiatrist into thinking him suitable for a feminine role even though his motive was exclusively erotic. As he was sitting in the waiting room, he turned completely against the idea of the operation and thus, when he saw the doctor, instead claimed he was depressed about the possibility of being drafted. He describes the following:

"As I walked away from the building afterwards, I felt disgusted about what my uncontrolled sexual cravings had almost led me to do and I felt humiliated, and I violently hated the psychiatrist. Just then there came a major turning point in my life. Like a Phoenix, I burst from the ashes of my despair to a glorious new hope. I thought I wanted to kill that psychiatrist because the future looked utterly empty to me. I felt I wouldn't care if I died. And so I said to myself why not really kill the psychiatrist and anyone else whom I hate. What is important is not the words that ran through my mind but the way I felt about them. What was entirely new was the fact that I really felt I could kill someone. My very hopelessness had liberated me because I no longer cared about death. I no longer cared about consequences and I said to myself that I really could break out of my rut in life an do things that were daring, irresponsible or criminal." [Psych Report] {Emphasis added}

That happened sometime in the summer of 1966, most likely in late August/early September 1966. Probably mere days later, on or around September 3, 1966, bombs go off at the suburban Chicago house of Elmwood Park Mayor Elmer Conti and at a glass company on Paulina St. in Chicago. Within weeks there is another attack on a home of an Illinois politician Republican Senate nominee and Bell & Howell CEO Charles Percy, this one far more brutal and lethal, and his daughter Valerie Percy is murdered on September 18. One week later Monsanto chemical engineer Jerry Bricca, his wife Linda and daughter Debbie in suburban Cincinnati are bound and killed. On October 30, 1966, when evidence shows Ted Kaczynski is in California, the first probable Zodiac crime, the murder of college student Cheri Jo Bates occurs.

His first confirmed Unabomber crime was in 1978, when he was 36 years old. Yet we know from research that the most active and violent period for the majority of serial killers is from their late teens to late twenties. And we see that Kaczynski reports the motivation, desire and ability to kill at least as early as the summer of 1966.

In 1966 he was a sexually frustrated and confused young man who resolved to kill those he hated, which included "bigshots" but also college students and young women. He later recorded a fantasy of mutiliating a woman's face with a knife. He also wanted to - and did - kill "bigshots" like "big businessmen" and "politicians", and Bell & Howell CEO and soon to be Senator Charles Percy would represent those things to him, as well being a man associated with high technology through his company. And Mr. Bricca was a scientist working for a major corporation. The fathers of Valerie Percy, Linda Bricca and Cheri Jo Bates all worked for companies or facilities involved in technology that had government defense contracts.

In September 1966, of course, Ted was officially enrolled at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But his TA duties and course work were done, and his thesis almost finished. There was nothing to require him to be physically present at the campus. We know that sometime in the later Fall and/or Winter of 1966 evidence shows he went to California for job interviews at the University of California, Berkeley. Where Percy was killed in Kenilworth, Illinois is ony 30 mintues from the Kaczynski family home in Evergreen Park, Illinois. Ann Arbor is only a three to four hour trip by car or train to Chicago, and a four hour trip by car to Cincinnati, Ohio.

SECOND SKETCH OF SUSPECT IN PERCY MURDER AND PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI

2nd_sk12.jpg

COULD KACZYNSKI KILL UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH A KNIFE, BLUNT OBJECT OR GUN?

One of the main objections some people will make to the evidence about Kaczynski being the killer of Valerie Percy, the Zodiac or the EAR/ONS - and I admit it is at first glance a reasonable objection - is that Ted was mainly known to kill with bombs, not up close and personal with a gun, blunt object or knife.

If at some point you talk to an FBI Agent, criminal psychologist or serial killer profiler, they will no doubt tell you that the majority of "distance killers", those who kill by bomb or poison, do not typically also commit "up close and personal" crimes with a gun, knife or blunt object.

First, even if studies of known cases show that majority did not also do personal crimes, there is a minority who did. Kaczynski had a unique pathology - a specific hatred of technology, business leaders and politicians (which shows up in his Unabomber crimes from 1978 to 1996 and also may have played in a role in the selection of the Percy and Bricca homes as a target), but also the general rage expressed in 1966, in which he wanted to kill "college students" and women. So Kaczynski may well be in the minority of distance killers who also kill up close and personal. For example, Joseph Paul Franklin did racially motivated bombings, but also killed a lone female jogger driven by lust and rage.

Second, there is evidence Kaczynski actually thought about and even did kill up close and personal.

The FBI states he actually did shoot and wound a miner with a rifle. In his journal that recorded in detail all of his bombing crimes, he also wrote of unspecified other crimes whose evidence he had destroyed and accounts of had burned or buried, because their revelation (in light of his growing reputation as a political terrorist and anti-technology activist) could prove "dangerous, embarassing or just very bad public relations." Certainly the brutal murder of a young college girl like Valerie Percy or the lovers lane killings of young couples by the Zodiac would not be something he would want publicly known, when some on the fringes of the radical environmental and anarchist movements now touted him as a hero of sorts.

He recorded a desire to kill people by "bomb or other means". He wrote fantasies about mutilating a women's face with a knife and raping a woman in front of her husband. He spent a year and made a one shot .22 pistol from wood and junk parts that he wrote he intended to use as a "homicide weapon". As a one shot untraceable weapon, it would best be used in situations were the victim was immobile, such as being bound or asleep.

kaczyn16.jpg

He created a shoe device to leave false sole prints of sizes other than his own. That would not help for the known Unabomber crimes, but would for up close and personal crimes. The FBI records he had black and green canvas and denim HOODS and MASKS in his cabin - again, only suitable for personal crimes, and both the Zodiac and the EAR/ONS wore hoods and masks. He was a known peeper on love making couples, armed burglar, house trasher and arsonist.

One item I find interesting was that in reading about the EAR/ONS case it was mentioned that his shoe size was thought to be in the 9 to 9 1/2 area, and that matches Kaczynski. But I also read about some smaller shoe prints - an 8 or 8 1/2 - found at one or more scenes. If true that is interesting in light of something found in the Kaczynski cabin. He created a shoe with a smaller size sole attached to the bottom.

Apparently it was invented as a rather clever way to fool police about his own size 9 to 10 shoes, by putting a smaller shoe underneath. See it below.

The strange thing is he did most of his KNOWN crimes by mail, or a few by placing bombs in parking lots or on cement. So why did he create this shoe device? He also had maps of the LA area, yet he was never KNOWN to have done a crime there. Both the shoe device and the LA maps are generally inconsistent or not relevant to his Unabomber crimes, but may match the Zodiac and EAR/ONS crimes.

kaczyn17.jpg

COLLEGE GIRL MURDERS 1966 - 1969: CASES THAT MAY BE RELATED - PERCY, BATES, SHEPARD,AARDSMA

Sharon Bubes, Evanston, IL - Attacked in her bedroom with a hammer, 6/30/66

Valerie Percy, Kenilworth, IL - Murdered in her bedroom by hammer like object and knife, 9/18/66

Bricca Family, Cincinnati, OH - Found bound and murdered in bedrooms by knife, 9/27/66

Cheri Jo Bates, Riverside, CA - Murdered at campus library by knife, 10/30/66

Confession letter in Cheri Jo Bates murder, Riverside, CA - mailed on 11/28/66

Cecelia Shepard, Lake Berryessa, CA - Bound and murdered by knife, 9/27/69

Betsy Aardsma, State College, PA - Murdered in campus library by knife, 11/28/69

PICTURES

Left: Valerie Percy
Middle: Cheri Jo Bates
Right: Betsy Aardsma

valeri12.jpg
cheri_12.jpg
betsy_11.jpg

THE VICTIMS

We know that it is most likely around late August/early September of 1966 when Kaczynski states he was "born again" and decided to "really kill everyone I hate." He states he was suffering from "acute sexual starvation" and that some of the people he wants to kill are love making couples, "college students" and young men and women. Looking at these cases we see possible links between them.

Note also that the Zodiac Killer is a prime suspect in the death of Ms. Bates, and that the interest in Kaczynski as a suspect for the Zodiac has been renewed and is ongoing. Kaczynski was in the SF Bay area at the time of the Zodiac murders, and like the Zodiac, wrote to newspapers demanding his words on the front page and was an expert in codes and bombs.

The Zodiac was known to do mailings and crimes on the anniversary dates of other crimes. On the three year anniversary of the discovery of the Bricca murders, September 27, 1969, the Zodiac attacked a couple at Lake Berryessa, CA, and bound them with rope before stabbing them. The woman, Cecelia Shepard, was stabbed 10 times and was killed. (Note: On or around September 26/27 1982, the 16th anniversary of the Bricca slaying and the 13th anniversary of the Zodiac murder of Shepard, someone put Cyanide tainted Tylenol on store shelves in the Chicago area. All the tampering sites were within a 20 minute radius of the Kaczynski family home in Lombard, Illinois).

Looking at the pictures of Valerie Percy, Cheri Jo Bates and Betsy Aardsma, there are clear similarities (and I think Linda Bricca and Cecelia Shepard would fit in here as well). All the girls are beautiful, with fresh faces and mid length hair. If perhaps not looking quite like sisters, they certainly look like they could be cousins, all from the same family.

All these women were in the same age range and all were college students. All were intelligent, charming, independent and assertive. All were "good girls" to use the language of the times. All lead clean lives with no clear suspects in their murders.

Percy and Aardsma were both graduate students. Percy had graduated from Cornell and was to start graduate school at John Hopkins; Aardsma had graduated from the University of Michigan and had just started grad school at Penn State.

It seems Ted Kaczynski had either actually or potentially crossed paths with each of these women, had a tie to the area they were in and was actually in each of the three different states they were in when they were killed.

* Percy's Kenilworth home was within 30 minutes of where Kaczynski's family home in Evergreen Park was located, and four hours from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

* Before enrolling at the University of Michigan, Aardsma visited and spent extensive time in Ann Arbor in 1966-1967, Ted's last year there, they both shared an interest Native American Indian cultures and in politics, Aardsma was researching a mathematician when killed and most importantly a witness has placed Ted at the murder scene, in the Penn State library the day before the murder.

* Bates was killed in Riverside, California during the time that evidence shows Ted went out there in the late Fall/early Winter of 1966 to interview with the University of California, Berkeley, which also has campuses in LA and Riverside.

* Percy was stabbed multiple times and bludgeoned in the head; Bates was stabbed multiple times and kicked in the head; Aardsma was killed by a single brutal knife thrust to the heart.

MO MATCHES AND OTHER SIMILARITIES IN THE MURDERS

In particular, there are very notable similarities between the murder of Ms. Bates in California on October 30, 1966 (when evidence shows Kaczynski was in that state), and the murder of Ms. Aardsma on November 28, 1969 at the Penn State library (when evidence shows Kaczynski was there, at that library). In some instances there are also similarities to the Percy murder. University of Michigan graduate Betsy Aardsma, attending Penn State graduate school, was brutally murdered. Like the murder of Ms. Bates:

* The murder took place within one day of a major Fall Holiday (Bates Halloween, Aardsma Thanksgiving). (Percy near the Autumnal Equinox and Harvest Moon, Bricca and Shepard on the Norse Harvest Festival).

* The murder took place at or in a campus library (Bates at the library, Aardsma actually in the library).

* The weapon was a short knife, approximately 1 inch wide and 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. (I don't know the length of knife used on Percy but a bayonet was found in the lake nearby, Bricca was killed by a 6 1/2 inch knife, perhaps a bayonet, and Shepard may have also been killed with a bayonet or bayonet sized weapon).

* The attack was brutal and the victims led clean lives with no obvious suspects. (Also true of Percy, Bricca and Shepard).

* In both cases taunting letters were sent after the crime. (A threat letter was sent to Charles Percy in May 1966, Zodiac letter sent after Shepard murder).

* A poem found written/etched onto a wood surface at the Riverside college talked about killing a girl in a red dress, and Aardsma was wearing a red dress when killed. Also a morbid and cryptic statement about death was written/etched onto a wood surface, perhaps by the Aardsma killer, and signed "RSK". (Zodiac wrote a message on the car door where Shepard was killed). (The Riverside poem had the initials "RH"; Penn State writing was signed "RSK"; to throw police off track, Kaczynski later put a message in a bomb signed "RV")

After the Zodiac murder of cab driver Paul Stine in October 1969, and the release of the Zodiac composite sketch in early November 1969, the SF area would have been very hot for the Zodiac. It would be prudent for him to leave, and in fact, Ted's brother David says Ted did leave California at that time and came home to Illinois. That puts him in the eastern half of the US and a days drive from PA when Aardsma is killed. Ted's father was from PA. Prior to the murder of Aardsma, Zodiac claimed 7 victims - but in his Christmas letter to Melvin Belli he says he may take a ninth and tenth victim. Who was number 8? Could it have been Aardsma?

Most importantly, a witness recently picked out a picture of Ted Kaczynski as being present in the Penn State library the day before Aardsma was killed, acting strangely and perhaps wearing a wig.

THE SUSPECT SKETCHES AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF KACZYNSKI

You can see there is a similarity between Ted and a suspect sketch in the Aardsma case. And there are similarities between the Percy suspect sketch and the Aardsma suspect sketch, including the general face structure, prominent jaw, jutting chin, nose, as well as the same type of glasses.

Given that the attacker of Ms. Bubes and the killer of Ms. Percy were only seen briefly, in very poor light and at an unknown angle, certain aspects may not have been observed correctly. It is possible the narrowness of the face was slightly overstated. In addition, the murder of Aardsma was three years and two months after the murder of Percy. In that time frame, it is reasonable to speculate that as the suspect grew older he may have put on a little bit of weight in the face.

Given those two factors, as an experiment, I took the first and second suspect sketches in the murder of Valerie Percy and MODIFIED THEM BY WIDENING 18%. You can see them below and compare it to the Aardsma suspect sketch and the pictures of Ted Kaczynski in between them.

suspec11.jpg
kaczyn19.jpg

aardsm10.jpg

suspec12.jpg

-----------------------------

SUSPECT SKETCHES

PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI
SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT "SANDY" 1963
PERCY AND BRICCA MODIFIED SUSPECT SKETCH 1966
ZODIAC KILLER SAN FRANCISCO 1969
PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI

kaczyn18.jpg

santa_11.jpg
suspec15.jpg
zodiac16.jpg

very_y12.jpg

SECOND SKETCH OF "SANDY" SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT 1963
SONOMA COUNTY ZODIAC SKETCH 1975
TED KACZYNSKI 1978
ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER SKETCH 1978

sandy_10.jpg
ted_ka29.jpg
sketch14.jpg

You can see that on the basis of the suspect sketches it cannot be ruled out that they are all one man. For Santa Barbara, Percy/Bricca, Zodiac and EAR/ONS, the basic physical description of the suspects in all of these cases MATCHES AND GENERALLY MATCH KACZYNSKI - 5'8' - 5'10" tall, 150 to 170 pounds, dirty sandy blonde to light brown hair (slight reddish tinge), thin but wiry and athletic build, size 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 shoe print, blue eyes, large hawk like nose, almond shaped eyes, elongated upper lip and prissy lower lip, large forehead, prominent jaw, jutting chin, wears sneakers/military shoes/military boots, often wears plaid or checkered pattern shirts, wears military jacket, ties nautical knots, ties victims with pre cut rope or shoelaces, sometimes wears black reading glasses as a disguise.

The ages generally fit as well - with the Santa Barbara killer described as 18 to 25 in 1963, the Percy murder suspect as 18 to 25 in 1966, the Zodiac as 25 to 35 in 1969 and the Original Night Stalker as 28 to 35 in the late seventies.

SUSPECT SKETCHES

PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI
VERY YOUNG TED KACZYNSKI, SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT "SANDY" 1963, PERCY AND BRICCA MODIFIED SUSPECT SKETCH 1966, ZODIAC KILLER SAN FRANCISCO 1969, PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kaczyn18.jpg

very_y12.jpg
santa_11.jpg
suspec15.jpg
zodiac16.jpg
ted_ka12.jpg

SECOND SKETCH OF "SANDY" SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT 1963
SONOMA COUNTY ZODIAC SKETCH 1975
TED KACZYNSKI 1978
ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER SKETCH 1978

second11.jpg
ted_ka29.jpg
sketch14.jpg

You can see that on the basis of the suspect sketches it cannot be ruled out that they are all one man. For Santa Barbara, Percy/Bricca, Zodiac and EAR/ONS, the basic physical description of the suspects in all of these cases MATCHES AND GENERALLY MATCH KACZYNSKI - 5'8' - 5'10" tall, 150 to 170 pounds, dirty sandy blonde to light brown hair (slight reddish tinge), thin but wiry and athletic build, size 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 shoe print, blue eyes, large hawk like nose, almond shaped eyes, elongated upper lip and prissy lower lip, large forehead, prominent jaw, jutting chin, wears sneakers/military shoes/military boots, often wears plaid or checkered pattern shirts, wears military jacket, ties nautical knots, ties victims with pre cut rope or shoelaces, sometimes wears black reading glasses as a disguise.

The ages generally fit as well - with the Santa Barbara killer described as 18 to 25 in 1963, the Percy murder suspect as 18 to 25 in 1966, the Zodiac as 25 to 35 in 1969 and the Original Night Stalker as 28 to 35 in the late seventies.

Ricardo Gomez has an excellent research article at his website www.mk-zodiac.com .

He starts off by giving the most complete and detailed version I have yet seen of the various productions of "The Most Dangerous Game", as a story, and in movies, TV and radio shows, and how it may have influenced the Zodiac. And Arthur Leigh Allen in particular. Very interesting.

See it here: http://www.mk-zodiac.com/TheMostDangerousGameThatTheZodiacPlayed.html

Then he discusses something even more interesting, and something that has until now not been mentioned as a possible influence on Zodiac. A movie based on "The Most Dangerous Game" that inspired a real life activity.

It comes from a Time magazine article of May 1966 called "Games: Homicide on Campus".

It concerns a fad that college kids were doing in 1966, called the "Hunt Game". Players were Hunters, Victims and Directors, and were scored for coming up with elaborate methods of (simulated) killings of each other.

It appears that in 1966 it was played in Southern California (where Cheri Jo Bates would be murdered in October 1966) and elsewhere across the country, but that a particular hotbed of activity was the Chicago area. It appears one Chicago area player sent a (fake) University of Chicago letter on (fake) poisoned paper that told its victim at the end:

THIS IS YOUR HUNTER SPEAKING. YOU ARE NOW DEAD.

Ricardo points out the similarity of this to THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING.

Fascinating!

Also, the Bates Confession letter writer (almost certainly the Zodiac) said BUT THAT WILL NOT STOP THE GAME. I have always thought of this as a reference to the movie mentioned above. But in the story and film, it is MAN that is called the "most dangerous GAME", in the context that lions and bears are "game." And this is how Zodiac used it in the 408 Code - 'man is the most dangerous game'. In the story/movie/Zodiac Code, the activity itself is called "HUNTING". Not a "GAME".

So could the mention in the Bates letter of "THE GAME" be a refernce to this rather morbid college craze which was taking place in Southern California and most heavily in Chicago?

Of course Zodiac suspect Ted Kaczynski was from Chicago, while other Zodiac suspects either had Southern California ties or Midwest ties. But Ted Kaczynski had recorded 1966 as the year he decided to "REALLY KILL" everyone he hated, which included couples, women, big businessmen and scientists.

There is a lot of other interesting information presented by Ricardo at his site.

But one area in particular interested me more than others.

Ricardo notes that this game was played at several Illinois colleges, like the Illinois Institute of Technology and the University of Chicago. He then mentions that there were several interesting and unsolved murders that took place in the Chicago area in 1966. He starts with the murder of Valerie Percy, and links to my post at the www.unazod.com message board about the topic. Thanks Ricardo.

Valerie Percy was the daughter of Charles Percy, the CEO of a major high tech company and the Republican nominee for US Senate (he won in November 1966). In September of 1966, Valerie was brutally murdered in her bedroom of the Percy mansion in Kenilworth, a wealthy suburb of Chicago. She was beaten in the head with an object and stabbed repeatedly. In terms of sheer brutality, her murder rivals that of fellow college students Cheri Jo Bates (killed one month later) and Betsy Aardsma (killed 3 years and 2 months later).

Another poster here, Cimm, did some great research and had clued me in to the Percy case as a possible early crime of the Zodiac or the EAR/ONS. And we have explored possible connections between the Percy murder and the murder one week later of someone she knew, Linda Bricca, along with her daughter and Monsanto chemical engineer husband in suburban Cinncinatti.

The Bricca bodies were found, bound and stabbed, on September 27, 1966. Three years to the day before the murder of Celia Shpeherd by the Zodiac. A month later one of the country's top computer experts, Dr. Sims, was killed along with his family in Florida. Weeks later the daughter of an employee of the Naval Weapons facility, Cheri Jo Bates, is killed in Riverside, California on October 30, 1966.

Ricardo found some cases I had never heard of, that could possibly be related to some or all of the killing in this series.

He notes the January 31, 1966, attack on the 23 year old daughter of professor Herbert Lawrence Anderson of the University of Chicago, a famous nuclear physicist. She was attacked on the University of Chicago campus, and survived. She was attacked near Washington Park.

On June 30, 1966, Sharon Bubes was attacked by a blunt object in her home in Evanston, Illinois (home of Northwestern University). Because of matching MO, weapon and appearance factors, police thought the bedroom invader attacker of Ms. Bubes was the bedroom killer of Valerie Percy in nearby Kenilworth just three months later.

Police released sketches of the Bubes/Percy suspect. I have noted the basic similarity to sketches in the Domingos/Edwards, Zodiac and Aardsma cases. All depict young men, with short hair cuts, similar height and weight, similar basic face structure, similar nose/eyes/ears/lips, with large black reading glasses. All also have a basic similarity to various looks of Ted Kaczynski.

Left to right: Domingos/Edwards suspect "Sandy"; Bubes/Percy suspect; Zodiac sketch; Aardsma suspect.

santa_11.jpg
suspec15.jpg
zodiac16.jpg
suspec10.jpg

--------------------------

Ricardo also notes two other 1966 deaths with college and Chicago or Midwest ties:

October 17, 1966: University of Chicago Divinity Professor Robert Warren Spike, bludgeoned to death at the United Christian Center in Columbus, Ohio, the day after he had dedicated the building.

May 23, 1966: Ohio State University Aeronautics and Astronautical Engineering Professor Loren E. Bollinger, shot to death with a .25 pistol, he was a newspaper columnist and a researcher in rockets and nuclear devices.

Great job by Ricardo in finding this information and giving us new leads in the Zodiac case! Thanks Ric.

-----------------------

So lets us look at this incredible eruption of violence which took place in 1966, starting in the Chicago area, spilling over into neighboring Ohio, then perhaps reaching as far as Florida and eventually Riverside, California. Incredibly, all of the murders have ties to either college-education and/or the high tech worlds of computers-weapons:

January 31, 1966: Attack on the 23 year old daughter of Professor Herbert Lawrence Anderson of the University of Chicago, a famous nuclear physicist. She was attacked on the University of Chicago campus.

October 17, 1966: University of Chicago Divinity Professor Robert Warren Spike, killed by blunt object in Columbus, Ohio, home of Ohio State University.

May 23, 1966: Ohio State University Aeronautics and Astronautical Engineering Professor Loren E. Bollinger, shot to death with a .25 pistol, he was a newspaper columnist and a researcher in rockets and nuclear devices.

June 30, 1966: Sharon Bubes was attacked by a blunt object in her home in Evanston, Illinois, home of Northwestern University.

September 18, 1966: College student Valerie Percy killed by blunt object and knife in suburban Chicago, Illinois. Father is Senate candidate and CEO of high tech company Bell & Howell, which made cameras, had defense industry contracts and made early computers & business machines.

September 27, 1966: Bodies of the Bricca family are found bound and murdered, by knife, in Suburban Cinncinatti, Ohio. Jerry Bricca is a chemical engineer for high tech company Monsanto, and evidence and witnesses state that Linda Bricca knew Valerie Percy.

October 17, 1966: University of Chicago Divinity Professor Robert Warren Spike, killed by blunt object in Columbus, Ohio, home of Ohio State University.

October 22, 1966: Dr. Sims and his family are bound and murdered, by knife and gun, in North Florida. Dr. Sims works for the Florda Education Department and is a top national expert in the high tech field of computers.

October 30, 1966: College student Cheri Jo Bates is killed in Riverside, California, outside the college library, in what most police and researchers think is a Zodiac crime. Her father works at the Naval Weapons facility.
-------------------

Thanks again to Ricardo for his great research which has opened up NEW areas of discovery and clues in the Zodiac case, the possible influence of the "HUNT GAME" on Zodiac and the perhaps related (or unrelated) unsolved "Midwest College Murders" and/or "Nationwide High Tech Killings" of 1966.

Off topic: I wonder if the Hunt Game is the inspiration for the opening activity of the antagonist in Mario Puzo's The Fourth K. In that novel, the antagonist, a college student, participated in a game where a group of students served as bodyguards for an effigy of the president, a Kennedy descendant, and a group of students were assassins tasked with hunting down and getting a clear shot at the effigy to 'kill' it while it was a banquet. Puzo in his novel described the game as being popular at college campuses across the country.

bennal10.jpg

Victim: Nancy Bennallack
Date of Occurrence: October 25, 1970

Synopsis:

Nancy Bennallack was a 27 year old court reporter in Sacramento County. Nancy lived alone in an upstairs apartment at Arden Way and Bell Avenue. Nancy was last seen alive by her fiancé on 10-25-1970 at approximately 11:30p.m. When Nancy did not show up for work the following morning, Nancy's co-worker telephoned her son to check on Nancy. The friend's son went to the apartment manager for assistance and he used a pass key to unlock the front door. Nancy was found murdered in her apartment.

hakari11.jpg

Victim: Judith Hakari
Date of Occurrence: March 7, 1970

Synopsis:

Judith Hakari was a 23 year old nurse at Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento. Judith was last seen leaving work on March 7, 1970 at 11:30p.m. Judith never made it to her apartment. Her vehicle was found in her apartment complex parking lot at Alta Arden and Markston Way. It is believed she was abducted from the parking lot. On April 25, 1970 Judith's body was discovered by hikers in a shallow grave in a rural area near Weimar in Placer County approximately 40 miles from her residence. Judith was murdered and her body left in this remote area.

THE ZODIAC KILLER WAS CONSIDERED A SUSPECT IN THESE TWO SACRAMENTO MURDERS, AND IN THE POSSIBLY RELATED CASE OF NURSE DONNA LASS, KILLED NEAR LAKE TAHOE, NEVADA, ABOUT TWO HOURS DRIVE EAST OF SACRAMENTO.

sketch13.jpg

The suspect description in the Bennallack murder was: "Glen Campbell Haircut" (meaning a large parted wave?), about 25 years old, 5' 9", 170 pounds.

Shot and wounded by the Zodiac on 7/4/69, Michael Mageau thought Zodiac was 25 to 30 years old and 160 pounds, with short hair but sort of combed up in a "pompadour". Probable Zodiac attempted abduction victim Kathleen Johns also put Zodiac at 160 pounds. In this time period, Kaczynski was 5' 9" - 5' 10", 150 to 160 pounds, 27 when Mageau was shot and 28 when Bennallack was murdered.

Also, the sketch of the Bennallack suspect bears a very interesting similarity to the "Napa Composite", the man seen hiding behind a tree and spying on the college girls at Lake Berryessa before the Zodiac attack there that same day, and thought by police to perhaps be the Zodiac. One girl thought this man was around 28, another thought 30 to 35. Also, the sketch of the Bennallack suspect and the Napa Composite bears a similarity to one of the many looks of Kaczynski, his darker hair, parted in a big wave look.

suspec17.jpg
ted_ka14.jpg
zodiac25.jpg
ted_ka23.jpg

photog10.jpg

Two Photographs of Bearded Ted Kaczynski vs. Sketch of Suspect in Murder of Sacramento Nurse Judith Hakari.

Hakari is considered a probable victim of the Zodiac, and police thought her killer also probably murdered Sacramento resident Nancy Bennallack (in a ONS like home invasion attack) and Nevada resident Donna Lass, both also regarded as probable Zodiac victims.

The day after Bennallack was killed, but before it hit the newspapers, the Zodiac sent a Halloween Card to the SF Chronicle claiming a new 14th victim.

And the Zodiac sent in a postcard strongly suggesting he killed Lass.

The bearded Ted Kaczynski bears an obvious strong similarity to the bearded suspect in these probable Zodiac murders.

The one man at the scene of the Riverside campus library the night of the murder of Cheri Jo Bates on October 30, 1966, who could not be accounted for or found, was a bearded young man.

hakari10.jpg

ted_ka38.jpg
bearde12.jpg

Ted Kaczynski compared to suspect in Hakari murder.

Hilburn was probably killed by Phillip Arthur Thompson, the man recently convicted for the murder of Betty Cloer.

Police at the time thought that one man may have killed Hakari, Bennallack and Donna Lass - South Lake Tahoe is right across the state line from Sacramento, and Lass, like Hakari, was a nurse.

IF - I said IF - Zodiac did do the Hakari and Bennallack murders, that shows he was making a transition from attacks in public places to HOME INVASION attacks in SACRAMENTO. Thus, we see a possible path from Zodiac to EAR/ONS, who did HOME INVASION attacks in SACRAMENTO.

And if Robert Graysmith and Sonoma Sheriff Striepke were right, and Zodiac did at least one or more of the Sonoma murders, well, those murders show an increasing element of sexuality. From none, to bodies found nude and bound, to bodies showing signs of molestation, to bodies showing signs of rape.

In his journal in 1966, Ted Kaczynski wrote that he wanted to kill "couples", and also "bigshots" like scientists or big businessmen, and specifically mentioning "POLICE" AND "GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS".

INTERESTING FACT - IN THIS POSSIBLE ZODIAC LETTER OF 12/16/69 THE THREAT IS MADE TO TAKE "GOVERNMENT LIFE" AND "COPS" AS WELL AS KILL 9 IN SACRAMENTO. NANCY BENNALLACK WAS A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE IN SACRAMENTO, SHE WAS A COURT REPORTER. HAKARI AND LASS WERE NURSES, SO BOTH WERE PUBLIC SERVICE, AND I THINK HAKARI WORKED AT A GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL. LATER ZODIAC WOULD HINT THAT HE KILLED SFPD OFFICER RICHARD RADETICH IN JUNE 1970.

ted_ka38.jpg

bearde12.jpg

THE SUSPECT DESCRIPTION IN THE BENNALLACK MURDER WAS A "GLEN CAMPBELL HAIRCUT". AND IT APPEARS THE BEARDED HAKARI SUSPECT ALSO HAD A "GLEN CAMPBELL HAIRCUT". WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? LETS LOOK AT SOME MIRROR IMAGE PICTURES OF GLEN CAMPBELL AT THE TIME. HE HAD A LARGE PARTED WAVE THAT CAME DOWN OVER HIS FOREHEAD ALMOST TO HIS EYES AT TIMES - ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE STYLE THAT TED KACZYNSKI HAD AT THAT TIME.

glen_c10.jpg
ted_ka13.jpg

glen_c11.jpg
Glen Campbell With Beard

photog10.jpg

glen_c13.jpg
glen_c14.jpg

FROM MORF:

I obtained a new article regarding the Domingos/Edwards case. I say new, because I havent seen it before. The interesting things in this article are as follows:

* Teens reported being shot at in the area of the shack shortly before the murders

* For the first time, I see mention of possible real names of "Sandy"- may have been WILLIAM CARR or ROBERT COFFMAN, and he may have lived in the Oakland/San Fran area. Also mentions he was STOCKY (Z-like?). The stocky part threw me for a loop because his sketches that I have seen, made him look skinny.

*Also, at the time of the murders, multiple girls were "missing" around the area of the murders( I did not research any further to see if they were found alive)

All and all, an interesting article. I would like to hear some thoughts & ideas, and see if anyone read this article before. The article was from 6/7/63, but I forget the name of the paper, Santa Barbara or Lompoc area paper.

AK: Great find Morf. This article confirms the significant finds by Ricardo and that "Sandy" was indeed an object of police interest.

I would be interested to find out if the missing girls turned up. Apparently Pamela Youngblood from Vandenberg AFB did turn up OK. I wonder about the others.

I think Sandy signed the name "William Carr" in the motel desk book. I am not sure where "COFFMAN" was used. My instinct tells me that both were pure aliases with no connection to the real name of the person, and that CARR may just be a play on CAR, and COFFMAN on COFFIN MAN.

--------------------

1963 Santa Barbara Couples Murder Domingos and Edwards - First EAR/ONS Crime?

June 1963, a young couple in Santa Barbara, on the beach near the Gaviota Tunnel, were murdered. The murder scene is just minutes from where the Goleta Murders would take place a decade and a half later in 1979 and 1981. The prime suspect in the Goleta Murders is the EAR/ONS. Could the Domingos and Edwards murders in Santa Barbara in 1963 be the first crimes of the EAR/ONS?

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE 1963 SANTA BARBARA BEACH MURDERS OF DOMINGOS AND EDWARDS AND THE ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER

Similarities between the Santa Barbara beach attack in 1963 and many of the crimes of the Original Night Stalker include:

* Couples are targeted.

* Attacker ordering the female to tie the male.

* The killer used complex nautical knots

* The killer put blanket over the bodies or faces of the victims.

* The killer leaves burnt wood matches at the scene. EAR/ONS also beat a couple to death with a WOOD log, and the 63 killer put bodies in WOOD shack.

* Possible Air Force connection - EAR/ONS may have killed USAF Sgt. and his wife and many other clues pointing to Mather AFB connection. Domingos and Edwards were killed with .22 bullets consistent with batch numbers for sale at PX of nearby Vandenberg AFB, also Travis AFB and March AFB. Detectives concluded if bullets were obtained locally, then they were probably purchased at Vandenberg AFB, as no other local outlets had those batch numbers. Killer may have had USAF ties or created a false trail to make detectives think he did.

* Seems killer came prepared with gun, knife and pre-cut rope.

* Sexual element present - EAR/ONS did rapes and sexual bondage of victims, 63 killer cut off bikini tops and bottom of female to expose body.

* Some evidence to suggest posing or moving of bodies in EAR/ONS cases, 63 killer placed female body on top of male.

* 1963 attacks and 1979-1981 attacks are minutes away from each other in the Goleta, Santa Barbara County area.

To read more about the suspect in these 1963 murders, "SANDY", see here: http://www.mk-zodiac.com/sandy1.html

NOTE: To those who may have contact with the Santa Barbara County Detectives who just re-opened the investigation into the 1979 and 1981 Goleta Murders. back in 1962, the SBCSD recovered FINGERPRINTS from a car that "SANDY" was in, and these prints could not be matched to any other occupants. They may well be the fingerprints of "SANDY", the lead suspect in these 1963 murders. I know that many fingerprints were recovered from EAR/ONS crime scenes. The prints from the EAR/ONS/Goleta crime scenes could be compared to these 1963 possible prints of suspect "SANDY". And the 1963 prints could be entered in modern computer databases for comparisons with convicted felons.

This is the first wanted poster for "SANDY". The article above quotes police as saying the age for "SANDY" was guesed as 17 to 20 in 1963, meaning he could have been 29 to 32 in 1975, which generally fits the right age range for the VR/EAR/ONS. The age, height, weight and blue eyes also generally fit both "SANDY" and VR/EAR/ONS. And Ted Kaczynski.

wanted10.jpg

On June 30, 1966, Sharon Bubes was attacked by a blunt object in her home in Evanston, Illinois (home of Northwestern University). Because of matching MO, weapon and appearance factors, police thought the bedroom invader attacker of Ms. Bubes was the bedroom killer of Valerie Percy in nearby Kenilworth just three months later.

Police released sketches of the Bubes/Percy suspect. I have noted elsewhere the basic similarity to sketches in the Domingos/Edwards, Zodiac and Aardsma cases. All depict young men, with short hair cuts, similar height and weight, similar basic face structure, similar nose/eyes/ears/lips, with large black reading glasses. All are basically similar to various looks of Ted Kaczynski. As the Unabomber, Ted wore dark sunglasses as a disguise, and neighbors also report he would often wear large black reading glasses as protection from wind, snow, rain and dust (and perhaps also as a disguise).

L to R: Domingos/Edwards Santa Barbara Couples Murderer Suspect "Sandy"; Modified Bubes/Percy Suspect; Zodiac Sketch; Aardsma Suspect.

santa_11.jpg
suspec15.jpg
zodiac16.jpg
suspec10.jpg

SUSPECT SKETCHES

PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI
VERY YOUNG TED KACZYNSKI, SANTA BARBARA COUPLES MURDERER SUSPECT "SANDY" 1963, PERCY AND BRICCA MODIFIED SUSPECT SKETCH 1966, ZODIAC KILLER SAN FRANCISCO 1969, PICTURE OF TED KACZYNSKI

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kaczyn18.jpg

very_y12.jpg
santa_11.jpg
suspec15.jpg
zodiac16.jpg
ted_ka12.jpg

Thanks to Morf for finding and posting the article below. The 1963 murders of Domingos and Edwards happened near the Gaviota Tunnel, which is just minutes away from the where the "Goleta Murders" would occur in 1979 and 1981, for which the EAR/ONS is the prime suspect.

IF the Zodiac Killer did murder Domingos and Edwards, it creates a fascinating chain of MO and evidence links between Domingos/Edwards 1963, the Zodiac Killer 1966 to 1974 and the EAR/ONS 1975 to 1986. Was there a "CALIFORNIA COUPLES KILLER"? Did he do some or all of these crimes? And was it Kaczynski, who wrote about wanting to kill "noisy love making couples" and "rowdy college students who throw their beer cans" in the forest, and who called promiscuous women "animals" and "pigs"?

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN ZODIAC AND EAR/ONS

The Zodiac has long been mentioned by writers and investigators of the Original Night Stalker (ONS) as a possible suspect.

* Both sometimes attacked lone females, but both usually killed male/female couples.

* Both used a flashlight to blind their victims, had gun/knife/pre-cut lengths of rope, ordered the female to tie the male, sometimes wore a hood, targeted mostly middle class suburban areas

* In many of the probable Zodiac crimes in Sonoma County and Northern California, complex nautical knots were used to bind victims, similar to those used by the EAR/ONS.

* Both wore military clothes/boots/shoes, were never caught, exhibited high intelligence and planning, played games with the police and media, wrote letters to the media and wrote cryptic poems.

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE 1963 SANTA BARBARA BEACH MURDERS OF DOMINGOS AND EDWARDS AND THE ZODIAC KILLER

There are many similarities between the Santa Barbara beach murders of Domingos and Edwards in June 1963 and the Zodiac Killer attack at Lake Berryessa in September 1969.

* In both murders we have as victims a male - female couple on a blanket by the water

* In both the attacker has a gun, knife and pre-cut rope.

* In both the attacker orders female to tie male, then binds them both.

* And like the Zodiac Killer attack on 12/20/68 at Lake Herman Road, a victim is shot in the back while running away.

* Also the exact same type of ammo was used at Santa Barbara 1963 and Zodiac attack on Lake Herman Road on 12/20/68 - .22 Winchester Western Super X, six right hand twists and grooves, indicating the same model of gun was used, and perhaps even the exact same weapon.

* There was an attempt to start an arson fire at Santa Barbara - in probable Zodiac victim Kathleen Johns her car was burned, and there are several other arsons close in time and space to suspected Zodiac crimes.

THE POSSIBLE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE 1963 SANTA BARBARA BEACH MURDERS OF DOMINGOS AND EDWARDS AND THE ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER

Similarities between the Santa Barbara beach attack in 1963 and many of the crimes of the Original Night Stalker include:

* Attacker ordering the female to tie the male

* The killer used complex nautical knots

* The killer put blanket over the bodies or faces of the victims

* The killer leaves burnt wood matches at the scene.

Check out my video. If you like, give it a like!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dszK9vSNmf4[/ame]

A potential major development on the code aspect of the Zodiac case:

http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

Many of you may know or at least know of the poster at ZodiacKillerFacts called "Aquiman". While we have always been friendly towards each other, he strongly felt that the Kite - Wilks work on the Zodiac Codes using a Caesar Shift method of 0-3-6-9 was WRONG. As do the majority of posters at ZodiacKillerFacts.

Aqui and I did have discussions about it however. I think he might have become more interested when he saw the work on the Unabomber 9 digit code (by Kite, Oswell and myself) that pretty strongly shows that Ted Kaczynski did use a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 values to encode his 9 letter last name. And I think he may have been slightly impressed by sheer dogged persistence (or stubborn stupidity) in my relentlessly exploring and refining my work on the codes. And how the same name keeps showing up across several Zodiac codes, and the consistency of the method used. Using all or mostly Harden Key then applying a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 shift values.

While Aqui felt I was making a serious effort with some interesting results, he still very strongly felt my work on the Zodiac Codes were likely to be wrong. He felt that most if not all the results I was getting were simply the result of random chance. And that what I was claiming were these impressive results were in fact NOT beyond chance. He felt the Caesar method with 0-3-6-9 values produces too many letters, enough letters so that the production of the name "THEODORE J KACZYNSKI" would simply not be beyond random chance odds.

I should tell you at this point that Aqui is known to very skeptical and he demands solid evidence. I should also tell you that he has a masters degree in Applied Physics and works in the Physics Department at one of the top ten research universities in this country. And that he is well versed in mathematics and computer science, and part of his job involves using computers to do failure analysis using probability and statistics.

And so he set out to do an unbiased, scientific, complete and independent analysis of my code work and proposed solutions. His objective was to prove my solutions wrong or show they were correct, by using a computer analysis of the probability of obtaining the results I did.

We have the initial report from Aquiman on the probability of obtaining THEODOREJ and/or KACZYNSKI in any 9 letters of random code, allowing for a Caesar shift of -9, -6, -3, 0, +3, + 6, +9 and for anagrams.

I will let Aqui post the full report, all the charts and graphs, and give his explanations and caveats.

Bottom line, however, is amazingly good news for those of us who thought this was the correct method!

The critics of this method said that "ANY" 9 letters sequence could create the names "THEODOREJ" and "KACZYNSKI". I had many critics tell me, emphatically, that it was 90 to 100% likely to get those names using the Caesar method and anagrams. Others told me it was 50 to 65% likely to get the names in any group of letters.

Well, we have the initial results of a computer study, done by a CRITIC of the code work, a professional at a major American research university with a masters in Applied Physics who does computer probability studies for a living.

The initial results are:

A 3.3% chance of obtaining "THEODOREJ" in a continuous 9 letter sequence.

A 5.3% chance of obtaining "KACZYNSKI" in a continuous 9 letter sequence.

And a 0.176% chance of obtaining both.

Wow! Better even then I thought they would be!

Note: This analysis does NOT apply to the Unsolved 18, as the two names are not continuous, they are jumbled together. Also, as Aqui reports the computer time to run the analysis for 18 letters would take days. He "guesstimates" based on observable trends for the 9 letter names that the probability for obtaining "THEODOREJKACZYNSKI" jumbled in an 18 letter sequence would be roughly around 1%.

Aqui has serious concerns about the huge number of possible letter combinations, and is still doing work on this, and as such, has not reached any final conclusions pro or con. He admits these numbers are way lower than he thought they would be. He is subjecting his work to peer review. I thank Aqui for his work on this, his ability to figure out an analysis and his integrity for sticking with the project when he started to get results he was NOT expecting. At this stage he is not endorsing the Kite - Wilks code work. He wants to do more analysis. Which is to his credit.

Looking at the 9 letters used by Zodiac in the final unsolved 18 in the Zodiac 408 Code, it does appear (to me) that the above analysis would apply, so that the odds of getting BOTH a "THEODOREJ" and also a "KACZYNSKI" from the same continuous 9 letter sequence would be "0.176%" or "just less than 2/10 of 1%". Amazing! And here we do indeed have a 9 letter sequence that Zodiac gave us - ERITHPMBO - that does gives us both names.

We do have a continuous THEO and a continuous KACZYN in the 3rd line of the 1986 Graysmith solution to the Zodiac 340. The odds of getting THEO are 6.9%, the odds of getting KACZYN are 7.4%, and the odds for getting BOTH are 0.5%. Or "one half of one percent."

I admit I do not yet fully understand the implications of this report, and it is not yet final.

But certainly it seems to confirm that there is something going on here worthy of further study, and that the critics who said "any" or "virtually any" letter sequence would produce the TJK name were absolutely wrong. These numbers indicate that the names THEO KACZYNSKI were probably PLACED into the codes. And when I say "probably", I mean 99.5%.[/size]

tjk_re10.jpg

The solved portion of the first Zodiac Code had the last 18 characters which are unsolved.

The last 18 letters are:

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I

This is actually 9 seperate letters, the rest are repeats:

E..B..e..O..R..I..e..T..e..M..e..t..H..h..P..i..t..i

The 9 seperate letters are:

E B O R I T M H P

For reasons which will be clear soon, I am going to take these 9 seperate letters that appear in the unsolved 18 and re-arrange their order:

E R I T P H M B O

Why did Zodiac select these 9 letters? He told us the code held his name...but then said we would not "give us" his name. Names usually go at the end of letters. Did he hide his name in these 9 letters, and do we have to "find it", as he would not "give" it to us? He also said if the code was cracked we would "have" him, and that the code contains his "identity".

What is significant about these 9 letters?

Let us create a Caesar Code Matrix with 0, 3, 6 and 9 for shift values. A "+" at the bottom indicates the letter string goes FORWARD in the alphabet, a "-" indicates it goes BACKWARDS in the alphabet.

* A * * Y * * K *
K X C Z V N S H I
H U F WS K P E L
E R I T P H M B O
* * L * M * J * *
* * O * J * G * *
* * * * * * D * *
+ + -+ + + + + -

That is a Caesar Matrix for the 9 letters we have in the unsolved 18. What do you see?

Do you see the last name of a Zodiac suspect, a known serial killer, bomb designer and code expert who lived in the SF Bay area during 1967 to 1969? Do you also see his first name?

Look again - I will color the last name of this suspect:

* A * * Y * * K *
K X C Z V N S H I
H U F WS K P E L
E R I T P H M B O
* * L * M * J * *
* * O * J * G * *
* * * * * * D * *
+ + - + + + + + -

Now you can clearly see the last name. And how it appears in a PATTERN.

6..9..6..6..9..6..6..9..6 (To be precise it is +6 +9 -6, +6 +9 +6, +6 +9 -6).

Can we calculate the odds that the name occurs from random chance? And in that pattern?

But also consider this - the 9 letters used in the unsolved last 18 from the first Zodiac Code don't just produce the name KACZYNSKI in a patterned way, they also produce the name THEODOREJ as well. In fact, 5 of the 9 letters used in the last unsolved 18 are in the name THEODOREJ, and the rest are produced by Caesar shift.

* A * * Y * * K *
K X C Z V N S H I
H U F WS K P E L
E R I T P H M B O
* * L * M * J * *
* * O * J * G * *
* * * * * * D * *
+ + - + + + + +-

Looking at the 9 letters used by Zodiac in the final unsolved 18 in the Zodiac 408 Code, it does appear (to me) that the numbers in the Aquiman Report would apply, so that the odds of getting BOTH a "THEODOREJ" and also a "KACZYNSKI" from the same continuous 9 letter sequence would be "0.176%" or "just less than 2/10 of 1%". Amazing!

UPDATE ***** NEW INFO AS OF MAY 2011***** UPDATE

* You can see the full results of the new Aquiman probabilty study and analysis here:

http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=131

The study was done by someone who has a Masters in Applied Physics, works at a top ten research university, and does failure analsyis using computers and probabilty/statistical models as part of his regular work. He started off as a critic of my code work.

The results are quite amazing. They totally refute the critics who said the 18 letter name "Theodore J Kaczynski" could be found in "virtually any" letters string. They are a major first step towards computer confirmation that the Caesar Code method with 0-3-6-9 shifts WAS the way Zodiac hid his name in the codes, and that the name hidden was "THEODORE J KACZYNSKI".

The existence of the hood found in Kaczynski's cabin shows that Ted, like Zodiac, wanted and could make a decent hood.

There is also a BLACK HOOD reported as found in Ted's cabin, but as yet no image I have seen.

NOW...

I am going to engage in a little speculation here, just exploration and asking a question.

Looking at the pictures of Zodiac in costume, it appears the hood has a box shape, like there might be a welding mask type structure. It also appears the hood is connected to the dickey that comes over the chest. So that it is one unit. It also appears in the police drawing that the hood has RECTANGULAR EYE SLITS.

Is it POSSIBLE that he may have wanted to wear a partial face mask hood UNDERNEATH the bulky hood-dickey structure? Perhaps in case it got knocked off during a struggle, so his face would still be partially covered?

Because it does look like the rectangular eye slits on the Kaczynski hood line up quite well with the Zodiac hood.

And they are both flat on top.

This item is being sold to the public. If there is even a 1% chance this could be something Zodiac wore, I wish it could be tested for DNA. With the bloody scene at Lake Berryessa, when Zodiac removed his hood with his hands, tiny microscopic specks of blood from the victims could have got on the hood.For more info see www.unazod.com and the message board there.

zodiac64.jpg

zodiac65.jpg
kaczyn40.jpg

Gary Greenberg noted that Ted Kaczynski would often sign his letters with a large "Z" underneath the signature. He wondered if this was like a "Mark of Zorro". I have never seen anything to indicate Kaczynski would have been a fan of those old adventure films.

Ted also told a psychiatrist he had an "obssession" with a "Ms. Z" during his gradute school years, though no evidence suggests he had a relationship with any woman, let alone one with a last name starting with a "Z". Was "Ms. Z" his codeword for Zodiac?

Ted also spraypainted a Norse Yggdrasil symbol, also known as the Algiz Rune, at the campus of a target. The Algiz Rune translates to English as the letter "Z".

Ted Kaczynski spent several years of graduate study and his PHD dissertation on the boundary functions of circles, in particular dealing with the unit circle, which looks like the Zodiac symbol.

In a yearbook Ted indicated his "mark" was two crossed lines inside a circle, suggesting a rough early prototype of the Zodiac symbol.

A close up on his signature with the crossed lines inside a circle.

ted_ka14.jpg

Close up on Unit Circle, Zodiac Device and Unabomber Devices (Norse Yggdrasil/Algiz Rune translates to English letter "Z").

kaczyn15.jpg

Is the large "Z" under his name meant to conjure up Zodiac?

signat10.jpg

Doug Oswell of www.unazod.com asked this: Maybe someone can tell us the significance of this document, which is included in the auction and dated ??-22-75. It appears as if it might be some kind of state ID card. Ted supposedly worked near Chicago at some point during 1975, at a location whose name he claims he can't remember.

ted_ka42.jpg

AK = The card appears to say at the top "DEPARTMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT - STATE OF ILLINOIS".

WTF!?!?

Did Ted work for this agency??? Or was he briefly doing a job that is licensed by that arm of state government? Are many routine jobs like cab drivers so licensed? This is seriously weird.

Can anyone make out the other writing on this card?

ted_ka43.jpg

Linda found out that this is apparently a State of Illinois Firearms Owners Registration Card. Interesting. I can understand why Ted Kaczynski owned rifles in California and Montana for hunting. I wonder why he felt the need to own a pistol in Illinois, and what kind of pistol it was.

Have you heard of Edward Wayne Edwards - The Man with the Hook Convicted Ohio serial killer? Some believe he was the first Zodiac Killer. I don't know why but one detective is still investigating this.

He is John Cameron, retired homicide detective. He has a facebook page explaining what he thinks.

Here are two links to article concerning Edward Edwards you might want to take a look at.

http://crimeslam.com/is-edward-wayne-edwards-the-zodiac-killer

http://unusualkentucky.blogspot.com/2011/01/man-with-hook.html

That second link you posted did not work for me. Maybe you can fix it or take it down.

There have been so many suspects over the years, this guy doesn't look like Zodiac to me.

There are so many murders every year, every murderer can be considered a suspect. What distinguishes Zodiac from 99.99% of other killers, even 98% of other serial killers, is the mania to communicate and taunt via letters, the demand for his letters to appear on the front page, the ability to create codes the FBI could not solve, high IQ, references to opera and literature and the growing interest in distance crimes like sniper attack threats and bomb threats.

I'm not real familiar with the Zodiac Killer or Killers as detective John Cameron stated. He referred to Edward Edwards as the first Zodiac killer. I didn't know there were 2.

I'll put the previous link on again. I don't know why it didn't work. Sorry.

http://unusualkentucky.blogspot.com/2011/01/man-with-hook.html

I don't see Edwards as a highly intellegent person either..........Just a killer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back