TX Unsolved: Virginia Kathryn Powers

TheAudCar

Reaction score
I searched for cold cases local to me and they aren't very many, but one particularly stood out to me. I am a conspiracy theorist, so I do believe that not everything is what it seems. Love it or not, read this case & please give me any tips, theories, what I should do next, anything! Thank you in advance if you do reply!

Virginia Kathryn Powers was murdered around December 9, 1972 in Bryan, Texas. This case is close to being 47 years old! Anyways, Ms. Virginia was murdered in a room she rented out of her home. The only evidence found at the crime scene were police a few fingerprints and unidentified hair. She was 58 and was strangled to death with a coat hanger.

Here's the part that gives me chills: Ms. Virginia had warned her neighbors and THE POLICE for YEARS that influential members of the community were trying to kill her. However the police said her accusations had no merit...

Ms. Virginia lived alone but had family nearby. She (owned?)operated an unsuccessful mobile home park and junkyard. None of her family heard from her for several days and that's when the police found her body at her home off North Texas Avenue. Lastly, the police said no suspects ever surfaced.

MY THOUGHTS:
Since most aren't local to Bryan, I can tell you there is a lot of political scandal and power in this town. Tommy Wallis- a murderer if you ask me- being one of the biggest scandals I have ever seen, but this is a small-medium sized town, but believe me everyone knows everyone. I mean the high school I went to was supposed to have it's own football field, but the head person in the district for deciding what gets build made sure we didn't get the field and yet some how came into a large amount of money to build a house. If you didn't connect the two dots, yes he took the money for the field and built his house, and yes it eventually came out that he was taking money from the district. Many situations like this are apparent in my town, but no one ever says anything and it truly blows my mind. The last thing that had me blown away was that recently the news had stated they solved the oldest cold case in town. HOWEVER, the case that was solved happened in the 80s meanwhile Virginia's happened in the 70s. No one mentioned her case though, I found nothing on reddit or here, but that's why Im posting to both forums. All I have is that little excerpt from the newspaper archives in 2004. If Ms. Virginia knew something and whoever was trying to run the town at the time knew, it is most definitely possible the police department would cover it up. She deserves justice and this town needs to do better, so if you know any info please help me! Im new to all this but I want to do anything I can to help!

do you have any links to anything else more concrete? How were her family members ruled out? She was allegedly found in a room she rented out? Where was the renter? Was the renter ruled out? How and why? Any sexual assault? Any proof or specificity on what she allegedly had been telling LE about these "influential members of the community . . . trying to kill her"? Without any links here, this post may get pulled. I think you need more to back this up here at Websleuths. This is not reddit and is much more closely monitored. Plus, you say right away that you are a conspiracy theorist. Which tells me that you may not be open to the truth. IMO.

I have google searched, searched here and reddit and there's literally nothing. I attached the link to the article. I'm open to anything about this case, what gets me most is the lack of information like what you're asking me. I included the conspiracy theorist part because I grew up in this town and I live here, I know about the things that are done in the dark which is why I believe it is very possible that this case got covered up. Honest to God, I hope it isn't because this is my hometown, but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary either. Cases have authorities stopped cold

sounds like they have DNA so with the new technologies we are hearing about, perhaps there will be a break. There are others here who may be able to pull other resources but there is scant info at this point. Is anyone still alive to talk to, I wonder.

I wonder too, that's really what I'm trying to do is find more information. What gets me most is the "oldest cold case" that was solved, that I mentioned in my initial post, got a lot of attention because they used DNA phenotyping to help find the perp. It's peculiar to me that this case is older and they have DNA and hair, so why hasn't similar been done? Even if it has, there is no information anywhere other than the article that I linked. I'm also curious to figure out where the house is since I am able to at least drive by it or which trailer park she owned. I'm also curious if the house was on the trailer park property or if it was in close vicinity. I only wonder this because I have a friend who's grandparents own a trailer park in our sister city and they have a house on the property. If Ms. Virginia's house was on the property, even though the business was unsuccessful wouldn't someone have seen something? There's a lot of speculation I could do, but like I said I'm really just trying to find out more information than what's been given or released.

Cases have authorities stopped cold
This one article is all that I could find as well, couldn't even find an obituary listed in archives for her. With this being such a cold case I wonder if anyone is actually still working on it now and if they could still DNA test the hair found at the scene. That might be the only hope for solving this case at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back