US coal mine collapse traps six-Utah - Thread No. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel for him. He has done all he knows to do. What a crappy situation for everybody.

In this article, he seems to say he will keep searching and he won't keep searching:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/UTAH_MINE_COLLAPSE?SITE=WBNSTV&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Utah Mine Boss Vows to Keep Searching

HUNTINGTON, Utah (AP) -- Lashing out at criticism he was abandoning six trapped coal miners, the mine chief promised Wednesday to keep searching through the weekend and punch yet another hole into "this evil mountain."

and

Officials said a sixth exploratory hole 1,700 feet below ground would be drilled beginning Thursday, officials said, and Kuzar said it will be in the area where the miners were last believed to have been working.

"This is the last hole," Murray said. "If we don't find anybody alive, there is nowhere else that anyone in MSHA or our company would know anywhere to drill."

Drilling that last hole, he said, will "bring closure to me that I could never get them out alive," although he acknowledged it may not bring closure to the miners' families.

"It's going to have to be in the hands of people a lot better than I am, and it's going to have to be in the hands of the Lord," he said.

I feel for him. He has done all he knows to do. What a crappy situation for everybody.

Don't feel too bad. I don't want to bash Murray, but the fact is he has to live with the choices he made. Beyond the initial collapse. In a way I feel bad for him too, he is a human being after all. But I am going to respectfully disagree with the bolded part.

Hey cheko!
Sheeseeeeeee he's more greedy than I thought.

philamena,

To keep the last paychecks from the families who probably need the money to pay bills is very sad. Possibly by doing this he feels he will quiet them down & can control them. :doh: I just don't know what his point is. :confused:

Don't feel too bad. I don't want to bash Murray, but the fact is he has to live with the choices he made. Beyond the initial collapse. In a way I feel bad for him too, he is a human being after all. But I am going to respectfully disagree with the bolded part.

Has he yet released the paychecks?

I haven't heard anything about it one way or another.

What I didn't see mentioned yet though is that the peeple who used to work at Crandall Canyon have been transferred to the other two (Murray) mines in Utah. It's in one of today's articles in the Salt Lake Tribune.

1414'--------------1586'---------------1865'-----------2039'------------
3rd----------------4th------------------2nd-------------5th--------------rescue
Hole---------------Hole----------------Hole------------hole--------------workers
CC147-<-520'->--CC143-<-780'->----CC137<-520'->CC133-<-650'->-CC128
there's 130 feet between crosscuts
Oxygen Levels not sufficient to sustain life.

The sixth hole is to be drilled 1700' where the miners were last known to be working. I thought the first (2") and the second (8.5") hole, drilled at CC137, was where the miners were last known to be working. I'm guessing this hole will be somewhere towards CC138, or CC139. If anyone hears exactly, please post, thanks.

Trapped miners' families tell Murray to stay away after clashes with mine boss

By Tom Harvey
The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated: 08/23/2007 06:37:50 AM MDT

HUNTINGTON - Anger and frustration at Crandall Canyon mine co-owner Robert Murray has boiled over among some families who are clinging to hope that six trapped miners might still be alive.

Murray has been asked not to brief families anymore on efforts to try to reach the trapped miners after a confrontation with two families at a briefing this week, one of the families said Wednesday night.

Jackie Taylor told reporters that family members also are angry that Murray and federal officials are saying that any bodies likely will be left in the mine and not recovered.

Taylor is the mother of Lacee Taylor, girlfriend of Brandon Phillips, one of the six miners trapped on Aug. 6 when a large portion of the coal mine collapsed. The two also were accompanied by Cassie Phillips, the sister of the 24-year-old miner. Phillips declined to comment.

Jackie Taylor, of Castle Dale, said she had a confrontation Monday with Murray, chief executive of Murray Energy Corp., after he bluntly told families the miners were likely dead.

"He came in yelling," she said.

Taylor said she asked him if Murray knew how the families felt.

"He said, 'Yes, I have felt this.' I said, 'When?' And all he could do was sit and yell at us and tell me I was out of control. He has never felt this before. He doesn't know what we're going through.

More at link: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6695432

How horrible for the families! I hope he won't try to brief them any more if he can't control himself any better than that. I sympathize with all involved, including Murray.

Gary Jensen funeral

Mine inspector killed in cave-in honored as hero, prankster and loving family man

By Mark Havnes
The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated: 08/23/2007 08:04:16 AM MDT

SALINA - A loving family man, a prankster with a permanent smile and, with his last breath, an unassuming hero who gave his life trying to help others.

That is how Gary "Gibb" Jensen, who perished Aug. 16 while tunneling to reach six trapped miners in Emery County's Crandall Canyon mine, was remembered Wednesday at his funeral in Salina and burial in nearby Redmond, the Sevier County hamlet where he lived.

"He was also a [Oakland] Raiders fan," joked his brother, Neal Jensen, to about 800 people attending the service, including U.S. Labor Secretary Elaine Chao. "But we'll find it in our hearts to forgive you."

During the two-hour-long service at an LDS stake center in this central Utah town, family and friends painted the 53-year-old Jensen as a man who, besides adoring his wife and their four children and grandchildren, was dedicated to his work as a safety inspector for the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

Chao said he exemplified the best qualities of MSHA workers by never hesitating to risk his own life to help save another. "He reaffirmed what is best in the human heart," Chao said. "Like those at 9/11, he rushed in, a selfless hero, to help others. He is the best the country has to offer."

More at link: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6695433

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member