US Sailboat Taken Hostage by Pirates

CNN is reporting that all four are dead. I'm sick to my stomach... I have to go to a Dr appt so I will have to wait and see what happened. So tragic...

Just seeing this now with the breaking news that they were killed. How sad. This is one of those stories that just sticks in my heart. It sounds like they were such good people, doing good things. How unfair.

My prayers to their families and friends.

Four Americans Captured by Pirates Killed
US Forces in Gun Battle With Pirates Off Somalia Coast

Four Americans aboard a hijacked yacht off the coast of Somalia were killed by their pirate captors, according to U.S. military officials.

American military forces killed two pirates aboard the vessel when they responded to gunfire that was believed to have killed the American yachters. The American forces also captured 13 pirates and found the remains of two additional pirates. It is now believed that 19 pirates were involved in the kidnapping.

The Americans were sailing the world on a Christian mission to distribute bibles when they were ambushed by pirates in dangerous waters nearly 300 miles off the Somali coast. On board the yacht were Jean and Scot Adam from California and Phyllis MacKay and Bob Riggle from Washington state. All are believed to have perished.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...s-forces-engage-pirates-gun/story?id=12971097

Four American hostages killed by Somali pirates

Four Americans captured by Somali pirates while sailing in the Indian Ocean have been shot and killed, NBC News reported Tuesday.

The two couples, Phyllis Macay, 59, and Robert Riggle, 67, of Seattle, and the yacht's owners, Jean and Scott Adam of Marina del Rey, California, were on an around-the-world sailing trip when they were captured by pirates Friday.

Military officials told NBC News that about 1 a.m. ET shots were heard aboard the yacht, called Quest. Negotiations had been under way with the pirates at the time.

The officials said U.S. military personnel boarded the yacht and discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors.

Video: Somali pirates kill American hostages (on this page)
The officials said two pirates were killed and 13 others captured after a brief gun battle as U.S. forces took control of the boat.

"We express our deepest condolences for the innocent lives callously lost aboard the Quest," Gen. James N. Mattis, U.S. Central Command Commander, said in a statement

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41715530/ns/world_news-africa/?gt1=43001

4 Americans on yacht hijacked by pirates killed, U.S. military says

[Updated at 9:24 a.m.] Negotiations were under way to free the hostages when gunfire erupted aboard the pirated vessel, a statement from U.S. Central Command said.

"As they responded to the gunfire, reaching and boarding the Quest, the forces discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors. Despite immediate steps to provide life-saving care, all four hostages ultimately died of their wounds," the statement said.

A reaction force boarding the S/V Quest "was engaged by pirates," two of whom died during the confrontation. Thirteen other pirates were captured, along with two who were already in the custody of U.S. forces, according to central command.

Two other pirates were already dead when U.S. forces boarded the S/V Quest, the statement said. In all, 19 pirates are believed to have been involved in the hijacking.

U.S. forces had been monitoring the S/V Quest for about three days.

An aircraft carrier, a guided-missile cruiser and two guided-missile destroyers composed the reaction force. The U.S. Navy ships were in the region to conduct "maritime security operations" and provide support for U.S. operations, the statement said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/2...cked-by-pirates-killed-defense-official-says/

WHY would they kill them? I would have thought they wanted ransom money. This is shocking it happened this way. So sudden and tragic.

I am wondering about the two dead pirates found on this vessel, if they killed the americans and then were killed by their own. The americans is what was keeping them safe from our forces.... This is so sad and tragic :(

Okay, home from the doctor so I can write more.

I cannot describe how sick how am. This hits so close to home for me and many of our friends. We have friends "out there" circumnavigating at the moment and hope to do the same some day.

I had stopped at Starbucks this morning near the doctor when I saw the news and posted above. I literally felt sick and threw my food in the trash... It's a terribly sad day, obviously for the family/friends of these four people, but also for the other sailors/cruisers out there.

My husband and I also cannot figure out why the Americans were killed. I think either we don't have the full story and they were killed during a rescue attempt, or as mystic speculated above by some pirates who were then killed by the other pirates, or maybe the hostages were able to grab a gun and kill two pirates -- and were fired upon themselves?

I applaud the US military for intervening. They were in a difficult situation: damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they stood by and did nothing, then they would be blamed for letting the pirates get the hostages to Somalia, meaning a ransom down the road. If they intervened -as they obviously did in some way - then there was the risk that lives would be lost in the process.

If anything good can come of such a tragedy, I hope it's that piracy is taken more seriously -- pirates killed on the spot, IMHO, and not just scared off and allowed to leave. It has gotten out of hand.

Rest in peace, dear crew members...

This is just so terribly sad and unecessary. I didnt know until I checked this thread that there has been a tragic end to this situation.

Okay, home from the doctor so I can write more.

I cannot describe how sick how am. This hits so close to home for me and many of our friends. We have friends "out there" circumnavigating at the moment and hope to do the same some day.

I had stopped at Starbucks this morning near the doctor when I saw the news and posted above. I literally felt sick and threw my food in the trash... It's a terribly sad day, obviously for the family/friends of these four people, but also for the other sailors/cruisers out there.

My husband and I also cannot figure out why the Americans were killed. I think either we don't have the full story and they were killed during a rescue attempt, or as mystic speculated above by some pirates who were then killed by the other pirates, or maybe the hostages were able to grab a gun and kill two pirates -- and were fired upon themselves?

I applaud the US military for intervening. They were in a difficult situation: damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they stood by and did nothing, then they would be blamed for letting the pirates get the hostages to Somalia, meaning a ransom down the road. If they intervened -as they obviously did in some way - then there was the risk that lives would be lost in the process.

If anything good can come of such a tragedy, I hope it's that piracy is taken more seriously -- pirates killed on the spot, IMHO, and not just scared off and allowed to leave. It has gotten out of hand.

Rest in peace, dear crew members...

My first thought when I heard the story was that maybe the pirates thought the US Military was about to try and attempt a rescue, so they killed the hostages in response. But that does not fit with the 2 dead Somali's found onboard.
So maybe 2 pirates took it upon themselves to kill the hostages. I was afraid that might happen if the large supply of bibles were found. Maybe that triggered the violence. Isn't that considered a capital offense in some Middle Eastern nations?

My first thought when I heard the story was that maybe the pirates thought the US Military was about to try and attempt a rescue, so they killed the hostages in response. But that does not fit with the 2 dead Somali's found onboard.
So maybe 2 pirates took it upon themselves to kill the hostages. I was afraid that might happen if the large supply of bibles were found. Maybe that triggered the violence. Isn't that considered a capital offense in some Middle Eastern nations?

I don't think the Bibles had anything to do with it. I had read that this particular "clan" of pirates was from northern Somalia and spent their bounty on booze and prostitutes. It was in MSM but I don't have the link handy...

Even if they were offended by the Bibles, they still would have taken care of those hostages as they were worth a few million in ransom, IMHO. Something didn't go as planned - not just for the military intervention but on board that boat, among the pirates/hostages... just MOO.

ETA: Here's the quote I had read previously (it was from another source but I had seen it a few places):

The pirates from Puntland in northern Somalia are not hardline Islamists and the fact the Adams carry Bibles is not likely to be a problem. Pirates in Puntland are known to spend their ransom spoils on alcohol, drugs and prostitutes.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/116574098.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/nation/pirates-hijack-4-americans-us-mulls-responses-1266449.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/22/501364/main20034691.shtml

On Monday, two pirates had peacefully come aboard the USS Sterett to negotiate with naval forces for the release of the hostages, and remained aboard overnight.

But on Tuesday, pirates aboard the Quest unexpectedly fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the Sterett. Shortly afterward, gunfire erupted inside the Quest cabin, and U.S. special forces responded, approaching the Quest in small boats and boarding the vessel, Vice Adm. Mark Fox, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command said in a Tuesday press conference.

Some pirates moved to bow and put up their hands in surrender. The U.S. forces killed two pirates in the course of clearing the vessel - one with a handgun and one in a close-combat knife fight. There were no injuries to U.S. forces or damage to U.S. ships, Fox said.

bbm

I'm glad no more innocent lives were lost. It sounds like all h3ll broke loose in a split second.

NAIROBI, Kenya – Four Americans taken hostage by Somali pirates off East Africa were shot and killed by their captors Tuesday, the U.S. military said, marking the first time U.S. citizens have been killed in a wave of pirate attacks plaguing the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean for years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

I was sickened when I learned of their killings. It is time for countries to storm that country and get the other hostages freed. The world does not need to learn of any pirates being captured. IMO

I was shocked when I heard of these murders this am.
Frightening.
People need to stay away from these Somoli priate waters, that's for sure.
imo.

So sad. I'm glad they spent the last years of their life doing something they loved. Prayers for the family and friends they leave behind.

It sounds like two pirates were on board the Sterett, negotiating with the military. I'm betting these two were pretty high up - meaning the pirates left in charge of the Quest were probably lower down the chain of command, less experienced, etc. Sounds like one/some of these "subordinates" decided to take matters into their own hands. The others may have tried to stop them...

I'm so sad - and angry - about this senseless loss of life.

I was sickened when I learned of their killings. It is time for countries to storm that country and get the other hostages freed. The world does not need to learn of any pirates being captured. IMO

Hear hear, RayStar!

If the allied "coalition" forces can storm countries (invest in tens of thousands of troops and billions of $$$$) for those countries oil, minerals and presumed wealth - then it's *high* time they storm the seas West of India; North of Seychelles, South of both the Persian and Aden gulfs ... and East of Africa ... for the safety, preservation and values human life!

Believing as much as I do in the above ... anyone arming themselves only with the word of God (or whatsoever faith may be declared by such sailors), and crossing waters that have been known to be treacherous for a decade ... is literally ... beyond me.

RIP - Thoughts to their loved ones. Senseless ...

This was a senseless crime. I am broken up over this whole incident.

May they Rest in Peace and Blessings to their families.

Goz

This article gives a few more details:

The remains of two other pirates who were already dead for some time were also found. They appeared to have been killed by their fellow pirates, the military said.
It is thought the hostages may have been slain after attempting to escape, or that the pirates may have decided to take violent action after being 'spooked'.

U.S. Navy officials were said to have been caught by surprise by the sudden breakdown of talks to try and free the seized sailors.

Only minutes before the military said the four Americans had died, a Somali pirate told the Associated Press by phone that if the yacht was attacked, 'the hostages will be the first to go'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...held-captive-yacht-hijaked.html#ixzz1EitIb8Nu

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmiter
Back