GUILTY UT - Brian Mitchell & Wanda Barzee for kidnapping, Salt Lake City, 5 June 2002

http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=19&sid=142484

In an exclusive interview with KSL Newsradio, Ed Smart says he'd like to see the case to be resolved now. "Why should Elizabeth have to go through it all? I mean, why should she have to go to court and go through everything that's she's already been though. I mean given the circumstances it's not like he didn't do what he did."

This is outrageous of Ed Smart to not only take this stand but to do it publicly without consulting with the DA. What a jerk!

I'm in Marc Klaas who is saying on CC's show today that it's all well and good for Smart to trot Elizabeth out when it suits him but then to do this when it doesn't is really horrendous.

Judicial sabotage.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2512169

<snip>The drifter and self-proclaimed prophet accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart delayed his competency hearing Thursday when he refused to come to the courthouse.
After he did arrive about 90 minutes late, he was kicked out of the proceedings for singing a Bible verse, "Repent for the kingdom of Heaven's at hand."
The hearing continued without him.<snip>

I believe there was NO kidnapping. I think the Smart parents, at least Ed, and probably his brother Tom, knew where Elizabeth was for nine months.

The fix is in: He wants a plea bargain... not for Liz, who is strong and can testify for herself, but for himself and his little secrets.

Ed Smart is not a nice man, no matter how often he smiles and cries and quotes the book of Joseph Smith.

http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=19&sid=143078

Smart Case Witness
More trouble in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case. An expert witness on the prosecution's list is the same man who's being blamed for overturning the conviction of Andrea Yates, the Texas mom accused of drowning her kids.

Sprocket said:
Ah Ed Smart. What an interesting parent this is.

No kidding. I'm very glad he's not my father.

He's right up there with Rusty Yates.

ITA with you lisa and candlelight. Just word to everything you said. Everyone I know thinks so, too. The Smarts are sure a fishy bunch.

My newsfriends and I predicted from the arrest that this is exactly what would happen: The Smarts will let things settle down, then arrange for nutty Jesus-guy and his wife to cop a plea or somehow get off the hook lightly. This whole case has never passed the smell test.

Do you guys know of anywhere where I can go for discussion/reading for like minds regarding this case? Everything I've found is very geared to the Wholesome Saintly Smart Family viewpoint.

stlouischili said:
ITA with you lisa and candlelight. Just word to everything you said. Everyone I know thinks so, too. The Smarts are sure a fishy bunch.

My newsfriends and I predicted from the arrest that this is exactly what would happen: The Smarts will let things settle down, then arrange for nutty Jesus-guy and his wife to cop a plea or somehow get off the hook lightly. This whole case has never passed the smell test.

Do you guys know of anywhere where I can go for discussion/reading for like minds regarding this case? Everything I've found is very geared to the Wholesome Saintly Smart Family viewpoint.
Although this case has not been discussed for a while, you will find different opinions here:

http://www.truecrimesolvers.com

You will have to register to read, and there are restrictions on the type of email accounts allowed.

Thanks for the link.

I read on another board that the defense for Brian David Mitchell has subpoenaed Elizabeth's school records and medical records. It is apparent that they are trying to prepare a "Liz ran away" defense. Ed Smart and the DA are on their hind legs trying to prevent this, but I believe that it is too late because a judge had to sign off on a subpoena.

In my opinion Mr. Smart, et. al. are afraid of a trial, perhaps because there are some unpleasant secrets that may come out regarding their Perfect Mormon Family. This seems obvious to me because at the first sign that the defendant may actually present a defense, he was all over the place dry-crying about wanting a plea bargain and was pretty quick about screeching about the records, too.

I agree there is something just not right with Ed Smart. I don't understand why he is purposefully tanking the case against Mitchell unless there is a lot more to the story than we know.

I have always had a hinky feeling about Ed Smart. Some things just never added up for me.

Maybe he doesn't want his daughter put on trial and have to recount what Mitchell did to her. If she were my child I'd do my best to protect her from that as well. It's bad enough that she had to go through this all to begin with, does anyone think it's necessary to make her relive it all again?

Normally I would understand a father not wanting his daughter to relive her kidnapping experience in court.

However, since Mr. Ed didn't mind broadcasting her ordeal in a TV movie (in which Elizabeth herself is rumored to have been disappointed that she wasn't asked to play herself) and a book, I think that argument falls flat on its face.

I know that sounds harsh, but I just have never bought what the Smarts are selling.

That's something people don't understand about Mormons...they tend to try and keep things that involve their family private. Didn't the ES Story that aired just depict the family's reaction and search more so than anything else?

That's what I thought.

wordsnmorewords said:
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=19&sid=142484

In an exclusive interview with KSL Newsradio, Ed Smart says he'd like to see the case to be resolved now. "Why should Elizabeth have to go through it all? I mean, why should she have to go to court and go through everything that's she's already been though. I mean given the circumstances it's not like he didn't do what he did."

I don't understand what Ed Smart is trying to do. I haven't read other posts, which I will, so I don't know how anyone else feels. Why one minute would you have you daughter talking to all television news shows, Oprah, etc., work along with producers on the made for tv movie and then say why should Elizabeth have to go through it all (for the trial)? What????????If he wanted to shield his daughter from publicity, he would have shielded her from the spotlights he threw her under during the interviews. After all his daughter has been through, he's going to settle for a plea bargain? Something doesn't settle right with me with this man. I don't know what it is, but's something.

Its only my opinion but I think a full blown trial would not only be difficult for Elizabeth but Mitchell's fundamentalist doctrine could be a thorn in the LDS side. The LDS exercises alot of control in what goes on in SLC.

I can't see Ed wanting this guy back on the streets anytime soon after what he did to Elizabeth and his family. What kind of plea bargain are we talking about here?

Read Under The Banner Of Heaven, to see how extensively the LDS church controls EVERYTHING they can relating to the press/information about the Mormon church.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2576503

For Mitchell, same old song
Judge bounces him; witness details suspect's bumpy life
By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune

Brian David Mitchell's list of courtroom hits continued to grow Thursday as he added the Mormon hymn "High on the Mountain Top" to his repertoire.
Mitchell broke into song for his third court appearance in a row and was promptly removed by bailiffs at Judge Judith Atherton's command.
Afterward, the second day of testimony regarding Mitchell's competency continued, with defense attorneys updating their client during periodic visits in an adjacent holding cell.
Atherton is expected to hear from the state's mental health expert on March 11.
Prosecutors claim Mitchell sings to willfully disrupt the proceedings. But forensic psychologist Stephen Golding, a defense witness, said: "That's the way he thinks. He thinks in terms of hymns."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back