UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...

(Please don't throw things at me.)

I loathe NS and SS just as much as everyone else, and I have pretty strong feelings about the punishment I'd like for them to endure, BUT...

...there's a link on the Fox News site: Facebook: Form a mob to execute Nathan Sloop and Stephanie Sloop.

Just wanted to express my opinion on this...I don't like seeing something like that listed on an official news source. There are appropriate forums for things like that, but I just don't think a news website is the place for it. I (for the most part) trust news sources to be relatively fair and impartial, because that's what journalism is supposed to do. But posting this link?? I'm just not comfortable with it.

ETA link: http://www.fox13now.com/news/ethans...ainst-sloops-ethan-stacy-case,0,1137183.story

I agree...the mob mentality is always frightening to me, when it happens in US it makes me feel like we are reacting much in the same way as happens in countries where they chop off your hand for stealing...JMO...Obviously this crime is beyond the pale and impossible to take in and people are very emotional but I hope justice is allowed to proceed in a civilized manner. Our court system, while far from perfect, more often than not, works to punish the guilty with the punishments approved by society. I do not like the Facebook group apparently set up to call for execution for the same reason; there are ways to contact the DA to express your feelings, as we have seen done here, and with success. JMO.

Reporter asking if they feel Stephanie is just as responsible as Nathan. Prosecutor says there is a "massive information of evidence above and beyond the statements" that Stephanie is just as responsible.

I will NEVER be able to understand how a mother could do this. Why is there such "disconnect" with some women?? I cannot fathom ALLOWING/PARTICIPATING IN such horrific torture of my child! WTH???

Women like that put the man before their children. I don't understand it either :-(

I agree...the mob mentality is always frightening to me, when it happens in US it makes me feel like we are reacting much in the same way as happens in countries where they chop off your hand for stealing...JMO...Obviously this crime is beyond the pale and impossible to take in and people are very emotional but I hope justice is allowed to proceed in a civilized manner. Our court system, while far from perfect, more often than not, works to punish the guilty with the punishments approved by society. I do not like the Facebook group apparently set up to call for execution for the same reason; there are ways to contact the DA to express your feelings, as we have seen done here, and with success. JMO.
there was an article discussing the facebook group and the note that the SA put on the wall there. That is most likely why it is on their site.

This is fitting.....

It was a nice sunny day here, up until court time rolled around. Suddenly the sky went dark, a massive storm cloud over Davis County, thunder, and now a downpour of rain.

k, making myself cry, I will end it at that.

All of heaven, all of the angels were crying. A romantic notion I know~~but a comfort to me all the same.

The problem with family court, IMO, often comes from adults who are in the middle of a divorce often lie and invent claims against one another to get custody or more support, etc...judge get used to hearing from one parent how the child won't be safe or cared for by the other. It mut be very difficult to determine when there is a legit concern vs. a vindictive accusation. That said, it would be ideal if all custody and visitation issues were put on hold while such claims are investigated. Still, one would have to provide evidence in court, not opinions, for a judge to prevent a biological parent from having visitation rights. It is a catch-22, IMO, and even Ethan's father is quoted in one article as having said he had met NS once and thought he was a nice enough guy. As far as SS goes, she does not seem to have a criminal history to point at prior to this week. So the judge's hands were probably tied.

I simply don't know what could have been done, legally, to protect this child. The system fails far too often. But the blame and punishment must be attributed to the two adults in this case who tortured and killed Ethan, something that IMO no one could have imagined would occur. JMO.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THAT!! My husband and I are involved in a situation..not custody but still have had to deal with a hateful ex. However we have the evidence to support our claims. All too often its mom or dad trying to get back at the other using the kids. My dad used us. Children should NOT be used as pawns. The two that did this crime should pay dearly.

there was an article discussing the facebook group and the note that the SA put on the wall there. That is most likely why it is on their site.

It's also possible the "Related Links" feature is not updated manually, but run by some kind of aggregator.

I'm all for making information available to the public, but I sure do wish they'd be a little more thorough to ensure the information is presented in the proper context. The way it's posted on the news site, it looks like a form of advocation. JMO.

Thanks for the tip, nursebeeme. I was hoping there was a reasonable explanation.

It was reported by local reporter (upthread tweet page of reporter) that Todd Utzinger was now representing NS. (unless the DP is sought and then he would not be or something to that effect.

I found Mr. Utzinger's profile and I'm kind of :waitasec: as to why he is the attn?

http://lawyers.legalhelpmate.com/UT-Lawyer-Todd-Utzinger-639.aspx

Anyone have any thoughts given his area of practice listed?

snip:

Personal Injury: Car Accidents, Construction accidents, Defective Products (Design Defects & Manufacturing Defects, Unsafe Drugs & Other Products), Intentional Torts (Assault & Battery, Conversion, Dog Bites & Animal Attacks, False Imprisonment, Slander & Libel, Trespass), Mass Accidents (Air Crash, Bus, Train, Subway Accidents), Slip & Fall, Dangerous Conditions, Toxic Torts (Asbestos Exposure, Pesticides, Tobacco, Toxic Exposure; Hazardous Waste, Toxic Mold), Wrongful Death

Snipped by me for length....

Someone on another board posted a great idea. Public funding for lawyers that represent ONLY the child in divorce/custody proceedings. Not the dad's attorney, not the mom's attorney - an attorney that is looking out solely for the best interest of the child. I think that is a great idea. That person would have to talk with both parents and if there is animosity, accusations, etc. to then go a little further and get other opinions from family, neighbors, co-workers. Criminal background checks on new boyfriends/girlfriends.

RIP Ethan. I am so sorry this happened to you. Joe -- please know that many many people are thinking of you, praying for you, and wishing there was a way to dull the pain.

They already have that - they are called a Guardian Ad Litem or a GAL. Usually each parent has their own attorney and the child has an attorney representing their best interests.

I said it before and I will say it again, I have NO doubt that Stephanie used the experience Nathan learned when he lost custody of his child as a weapon against Ethans father through fear, intimidation and pure manipulation based on the mans love for his son. :furious:

To add, when I first became an SP and filed for child support I was so niave. I honestly believed I would go into court tell the truth and everything would work out as it should according to the law. How wrong I was... and three years later I was still fighting to enforce my support order. Ther were times I pulled all nights reading up on case law so I knew my rights. Child support enforcement provided by the state does NOT represent the mother or custodial parent, they actually by LAW represent the father or non custodial parent. IT is a matter of one best educate themself to their rights because no one else is going to do it for them. And boy did I have an education.

jmho

If this has already been posted I apologize in advance:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/14/1945084/formal-charges-expected-in-death.html

His court-appointed attorney, Todd Utzinger, would not discuss specifics of the case or possible charges. He said he met with both Sloops Friday morning in jail and advised them to stop talking to detectives.

Attorney Julie George, who was appointed to represent Stephanie Sloop, said her client "is very emotional and having a difficult time."

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/14/1945084/formal-charges-expected-in-death.html#ixzz0nw9vgSOK

It was reported by local reporter (upthread tweet page of reporter) that Todd Utzinger was now representing NS. (unless the DP is sought and then he would not be or something to that effect.

I found Mr. Utzinger's profile and I'm kind of :waitasec: as to why he is the attn?

snip:

Wow, I have no idea. I sure wouldn't pull his listing out of the phone book if I were seeking murder defense. Maybe it's just temporary?

snip:

Toxic Exposure; Hazardous Waste, Toxic Mold

sorry...

I'm getting ready to start thread # 4 and be closing this one shortly....

Just letting you know ahead of time while I have a moment too.

Attns for Sloops:

1. NS = T. Utzinger (until further notice)

2. SS = J. George (need to look her up)

Prosecutor's name? I want to look him up and his cases too. TIA!

If this has already been posted I apologize in advance:

"...
His court-appointed attorney, Todd Utzinger, would not discuss specifics of the case or possible charges. He said he met with both Sloops Friday morning in jail and advised them to stop talking to detectives."

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/14/1945084/formal-charges-expected-in-death.html

I know, I know. A defense lawyer telling his clients this kind of thing is routine, run-of-the-mill. But it still burns me up.

Speaking from a purely moral perspective, talking and confessing is the only right, merciful, remotely redemptive thing these two can do. Yes, society won't forgive them and doesn't have to, but they should talk and keep talking until everything has been told.

I know it's different in the justice system. I'm just saying.... (And maybe that's why Utzinger is a defense attorney and not ME.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500