UT - Five dead, 4 injured in shooting spree at SLC mall, 12 Feb 2007

ziggy said:
Seems weird that the press is not mentioning that he was a Muslim. Just saying...

It's just crazy, isn't it? It's like some PC decision that ALL the media automatically knew not to talk about this......that's the part that is the most amazing to me......EVERY media outlet knew not to mention that part. Kinda scary, actually.

reb said:
here's a good one, from the salt lake tribune:

<Bosnian immigrants also are facing a backlash over the fact that the shooter was Bosnian and Muslim.
Buba Roth, head of the Utah Consortium of Multicultural Groups, said Bosnians are being harassed by co-workers asking questions such as "Who let you in?" and "Will you kill us?">

since when is trying to protect your own life, which humans should have the right to do, in the face of a religion that is well known for bombing and massacring large numbers of innocent people.... considered 'harrasment'...?? so reasonable self-preservation, and expressing reasonable fear, caution and doubt, is now called harrassment?
Protect your own life by harassing some innocent guy who didn't do a thing???? The Philly shooter was probably a christian - does that mean it's OK to harass christians that way?

Bosnian muslims were slaughtered, violently, indiscriminately, by the Bosnian christians - so which religion is known for massacreing large numbers of people - in their experience - is quite questionable.

kgeaux said:
It's just crazy, isn't it? It's like some PC decision that ALL the media automatically knew not to talk about this......that's the part that is the most amazing to me......EVERY media outlet knew not to mention that part. Kinda scary, actually.
They're mentioning it - not in the initial reports, probably because they didn't know. And with the current climate, you sure don't want to be wrong about that. But then, I don't recall them mentioning the religion of the Philly shooter - is that PC too?

how are people supposed to know who is an innocent muslim guy who is not planning on doing anything, and an muslim guy who is? how are we supposed to know?? i'm not the only one who wonders why on earth decent people would want to have anything to do with that religion. this is exactly how muslims do their dirty work-- they blend in and try to not be noticed. they WANT us to not be alarmed, and pay no attnetion to them-- be accepting, etc-- much easier for those who want to hate western civilization to destroy it. but it's human nature to be afraid of something that we have come to associate with violence and terror. why is that wrong for those guys to question the 'innocent' muslim?? to say 'hey, give us a reason why we should trust you?' again, more PC nazism that is neutering us and stripping us of our very human right to practice self-preservation.

Couldn't a Bosnian muslim say the same about Christians, after what they went through? And the questions were nothing like reasonable concerned questions - "who let you in here" - basically saying, get lost, get out of this country. Because of their religion.

Which we don't even know if it's involved - same day, same time, another person was doing the same thing as this guy - but not a muslim.

Talovic Threatened Former Landlord With A Knife

http://kutv.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_044224602

(KUTV) SALT LAKE CITY Years before Talovic’s killing spree he may have had a disturbing encounter with a man; it reportedly involved a knife.

According to the man, who says he was the family’s landlord. Sulejman Talovic as a young boy pulled a knife and said he was going to kill him.

He did not have the firepower, age and senseless aim, but about age ten it’s alleged that Sulejmen Talovic had moments with Musto Redzovic, a reported landlord, which Redzovic has not forgotten.

He says the young Talovic had a knife and threatened to kill him ‘for no reason.’

“He cam to me with a knife and he said, ‘I’m gonna kill you,’ and I was joking with him,” says Redzovic, “I said, ‘what did I did to you? I give you a dollar the other day,’ or something like that.”

Redzovic continues, “‘He said, ‘I’m just gonna kill you for no reason.’The kid was not normal, he needed help.”

More at link: http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_046201830.html

Sulejman Talovic was prosecuted in court for pulling knife, throwing rocks

By Stephen Hunt and Brent Israelsen

The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated: 02/15/2007 06:20:05 PM MST

Posted: 4:48 PM- The shooting rampage at Trolley Square was not Sulejman Talovic's first act of violence.
At age 12, Talovic was before a judge for allegedly holding a knife over the head of girl while stating, "I'll kill you," according to a source who is familiar with the case.
Two years earlier, Talovic was referred to juvenile court for throwing rocks at a little girl.
About the same time, he threatened his parents' landlord with a knife.
The first girl was not struck by the stones. And the mother of the second girl snatched her up in the nick of time, just as Talovic took a swipe with the blade, according to the source, who has seen court documents relating to the case.
FBI spokesman Patrick Kiernan said investigators are aware of Talovic's juvenile criminal history and are considering what role it might have played in the Trolley Square shootings.
"It's all part of the investigation," Kiernan said. Talovic's relatives have referred to him as "a very nice person" who had never hurt anyone.

More at link: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5234935

I've been lurking for years but this tragedy has really prompted me to "come out of the shadows". I grew up in Salt Lake and moved away last year. During college I lived a few blocks away from Trolley and worked in the movie theater near where the gunman was killed. KUTV released a home video of the police officers responding. While difficult to watch, it exemplifies the heroic efforts of both the Salt Lake police and the off duty Ogden officer. The situation certainly would have become even more horrific if Talovic had reached the theater.

http://kutv.com/video/?id=23467@kutv.dayport.com

Welcome to Websleuths, lilllbird. I hope we will hear more from you.

This tragic event could have indeed been even worse if it weren't for the police. It sounds like the shooter had a history of violence. I am interested to learn more about his past.

My prayers to all the family and friends of these inncocent victims.

reb said:
... i can understand much better someone snapping who was a war refugee, having grown up in bosnia, knowing nothing but violence & chaos all his life....this is just another after-effect of what war does to people. it appears that he probably had severe post-traumatic stress and i imagine also extreme culture shock on top of that. too bad he was not able to helped before he lost it.
Great post - I agree.

Details said:
Couldn't a Bosnian muslim say the same about Christians, after what they went through? And the questions were nothing like reasonable concerned questions - "who let you in here" - basically saying, get lost, get out of this country. Because of their religion.

Which we don't even know if it's involved - same day, same time, another person was doing the same thing as this guy - but not a muslim.
Great post Details. Thank you.

I still can't believe this happened. I wasn't at Trolley when it happened, but I was only about 2 blocks away.

Our governor has asked that all flags be lowered to half-mast. I think that's wonderful...

I just don't understand why the world has to be this way. :(

i agree.. thank gawd for the fast-acting cops. hooray for the heroes!!! i also am impressed that the local muslim community issued a statement about this, it seems very sincere & heartfelt. so, thanks to them.

Oh yeah, that off duty cop is quite the hero, as are all the others. Thank goodness he was there!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back