UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #3

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
Kouri Richins was on the news promoting a children’s book on grief. Her husband had “unexpectedly died” a year before leaving their three little boys in despair.

However, she was just arrested for her husband’s murder, being accused of intentionally lacing his drink with a fatal dose of fentanyl.
She was praised as a good mom when she promoted the book.

Ugh.

MEDIA, MAP & TIMELINE THREAD **NO DISCUSSION**

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
What will be the critical evidence/testimony? Proof of the buying of the fentanyl? The insurance policies? The words of the victim saying if he is killed, it was her?
The google searches??? The purchase of fentanyl is a huge one too in my opinion. Asking for the stuff that killed MJ. People testifying that she tried to kill Eric before. Googling luxury prisons, and things like if the death certificate says overdose does insurance still pay out? Taking a big life insurance policy right before he died? Sending letters from prison telling her mom to lie for her and asking her brother to testify on certain things. I mean probably all of it combined. There’s a whole lot of damning evidence. Moo.

-- Today (May 8, 2024) marks one year KR arrested for the alleged murder of her husband ER.

-- May justice be served.

On May 8, 2023, the hammer finally dropped on Kouri Richins and she was arrested for the alleged murder of her husband Eric Richins on March 3-4, 2022.

Read More: A Complete Timeline Of Kouri Richins' Murder Case - Grunge

Court to decide if Kouri Richins goes to trial a year after her arrest

New article from local NPR affiliate, though not much (any?) new information. Does say that on May 13th prosecutors will "try to compel a Heber law practice to hand over records about Kouri’s divorce consultation". I would assume that's the 8am motion hearing referenced by @Seattle1 above?

I have 2 hearings on 5/13/24 - from my notes:

*Evidentiary Hearing (Murder case) (@ 8am MT) & Motions Hearing (civil case) (@ 2:3pm MT)

3:00 PM Virtual Hearing
5/20/2024
THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT - SILVER SUMMIT DISTR (Hearing location is in PARK CITY - More Info)
District Court

Virtual Hearing
Webex Tips

From the Court Calendar -- don't know if any of the earlier hearing will be live/recorded.

The important Court date is May 15 -- the prelim. I'm surprised they only have one date allocated for this hearing. This is where we also hear the evidence the State has against KR and whether or not the Judge binds KR over to trial.

Last edited:
It has been awhile since she was last in court - so a bit on the long side - I shall shorten it up a bit.

Monday, May 13th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Murder case) (@ 8am MT) & Motions Hearing (civil case) (@ 2:3pm MT) – UT - *Eric Eugene Richins (39) poisoned with a lethal dose of fentanyl by wife on Mar. 3, 2022 in Kamas. - *Kouri Darden Richins (33/now 34) arrested (5/8/23) & charged (6/5/23) with 2nd degree aggravated murder & 3 counts of possession of drugs with intent to distribute. [These charges were dismissed on 3/25/24-see recharges]. Re-charged (3/25/24) with 2 counts of 1st degree criminal homicide aggravated murder (DV), 2 counts of 2nd degree distribution of a controlled substance, 2 counts of 2nd degree mortgage fraud (Iron Bridge Financial & Boomerrang Finance), 2 counts of 2nd degree insurance fraud & 2 counts of 3rd degree forgery. Held without bond. Bond denied (6/12/23). DA will not seek DP (8/18/23).
Judge Richard Mrazik presiding. Prosecutor Patricia Cassell & Brad Bloodworth & Defense attorney Skye Lazaro.
Case & court info from 6/5/23 thru 12/29/23 reference post #836 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ted-death-last-year-may-2023-2.680663/page-42

2/8/24 update: Next a closed hearing in person on 2/23/24 @ 2pm.
2/23/24 Update: Last September, prosecutors accused her of smuggling potential evidence out of her Summit County jail cell in an envelope marked “attorney-client privilege.” Defense attorneys said the material was privileged & declined to give it to the state, saying jailers had searched it anyway. Feb. 23, Third District Court Judge Richard Mrazik ruled partly in the defense’s favor: Kouri’s writing is privileged, and the defense won’t have to hand it over. Court filings indicate the document, originally thought to be over 60 pages, is 33 pages long. But the envelope also contained a letter prosecutors claim another inmate wrote to Kouri. That letter (from an inmate)-dubbed “letter No. 2” in the case—Mrazik says isn’t privileged. The defense will give letter No. 2 to the state, but it’s not clear yet if it will be made public. Now that the dispute is settled, Richins will get a preliminary hearing. It’s scheduled on 5/15/24 @ 9am.
2/28/24 Update: Notice of Return of Service for Subpoenas Duces Tecum for 48 hours via email by Lonnie A. Dawson [re Any & all material involving The People vs. Kouri Richins 48 Hour episode that aired on 2/24/24, to include (without limitation), any video & audio of complete interviews, interviewee submissions & correspondence] & Berkovitch & Bouskila, PLLC via email by Lonnie A. Dawson [Any & all non-privileged documents in connection with litigation involving Kouri Darden Richins or K. Richins Realty] by Summit County attorney Brad Bloodworth, Chief Prosecutor to appear on 3/29/24 @ 5pm @ the Summit Justice Center.
3/16/24 Update: Now investigators have revealed a new theory that Richins got the idea from her mother Lisa Darden, 64. In May 2023, a Summit County Sheriff's Office detective submitted a search warrant affidavit based on a suspicion that Darden was 'involved in planning & orchestrating Eric's death,' based on her previous involvement with a mysterious death in 2006. 'In investigating Kouri Richins' associates, it was discovered that in 2006, Richins' mother, Lisa Darden was living with an adult female with whom she was having a romantic relationship,' the detective wrote in the affidavit. 'In April of that year, her romantic partner died unexpectedly.' The partner was Gertrude Lee Moore, who died at the age of 49 'suddenly' on April 30, 2006. In Moore's obituary, Darden was described as 'her best friend.' An autopsy revealed that Moore's 'immediate cause of death was a drug poisoning from an overdose of oxycodone,' Fox News reported. 'Further investigation showed that Lisa Darden had been named as the beneficiary of her partner's estate a short time before her death,' the detective continued. 'The female did have current prescriptions for oxycodone & reportedly struggled with abusing her meds. She, however, was not in a state of recovery from addiction at the time of her death. 'Based on my training & experience, this would likely rule out the possibility of an accidental overdose.'
3/25/24 Docket update: State files Second Amended Charging Information. 1) Criminal homicide, aggravated murder (Domestic violence) in the 1st degree, 2) attempted criminal homicide, aggravated murder (Domestic violence) in the 1st degree, 3) Distribution of a controlled substance 2nd degree, 4) distribution of a controlled substance 2nd degree, 5) Mortgage fraud 2nd degree [falsified bank statement to Iron Bridge Financial], 6) mortgage fraud 2nd degree [falsified bank statement to Boomerrang Finance], 7) insurance fraud 2nd degree [falsified insurance applications on Eric's life], 8) insurance fraud 2nd degree[fraudulently claimed insurance benefits from Eric's death] , 9) forgery 3rd degree, 10) forgery 3rd degree & 11) forgery 3rd degree. The 2nd Amended Information is supported by the following Probable Cause Statement obtained from Detective Jeff O'Driscoll. Filed by Brad Bloodworth, Chief Prosecutor.
According to the new filing, Eric didn’t have food allergies, but opioids can cause allergic reactions. Investigators also found text messages between Eric & Kouri around the time of the alleged poisoning. They said Eric sent her a photo, which has been deleted from both of their phones. Prosecutors said Kouri told her mother & brother she was the one who picked up the sandwich from the diner that day. She texted her alleged drug dealer 30 times that day. They track her location via her texts to a “paramour.” They said she texted this person a photo of her GPS, showing her location on state Route 32 in Kamas headed to an unknown destination. Now, prosecutors say Kouri had an affair. They wrote the paramour texted Kouri a photo the night of Eric’s death. It showed two people kissing & was captioned “love you.” Prosecutors have now charged Kouri with two counts of drug distribution & dropped the previous three charges of drug possession. They also charged Kouri with two counts each of mortgage fraud & insurance fraud Monday. Prosecutors said Kouri opened numerous secret life insurance policies on Eric & believed she would inherit his estate under the terms of their prenuptial agreement. They said she fraudulently claimed insurance benefits when he died & at least one of those insurance applications was forged. Kouri’s also charged with forging two mortgage loan applications. Third District Court has scheduled a preliminary hearing in the case for 5/15/24. Kouri has been denied bail & will be held for the duration of her trial. While the judge froze her accounts, he's allowing her access to the funds in order to pay her attorneys. It is likely Kouri will be allowed to transfer assets to pay her lawyers though. Judge Mrazik said he wants to be careful to preserve Kouri’s ability to fund her defense, otherwise her Sixth Amendment rights might be violated.

4/11/24 Update: Calls, texts with 'paramour' to be focus of Richins' hearing. Prosecutors said they expect to introduce transcripts from previous hearings, jail phone calls & police interviews at the hearing.
4/17/24 Update: Prosecutors have asked the judge to compel her divorce attorney to come forward with new information. They claimed Richins consulted the attorney two months before the death of her husband, Eric Richins & said those communications are relevant to the state's case. The motion, filed on April 11, 2024, calls on the judge to compel attorney Marie Bramwell to comply with a subpoena to produce “any & all records related to Kouri Darden Richins’ consultation with Marie Bramwell in connection with a possible divorce from Eric Eugene Richins, to include, without limitation, scheduling records, billing records, intake forms, correspondence & meeting notes.”
5/5/24 Update: Kouri Richins pleaded no contest last February to assaulting the sister of her late husband two days after his March 2022 death [Case #221200316]. She took a plea deal to settle the subsequent misdemeanor charge. Third District Court would dismiss the charge after a year if she abided by its terms. Prosecutors argued in court March 19 Richins failed to pay a $1,105 plea fee by January 2024 & attend grief counseling or a thinking errors class within 90 days of her no contest plea. Judge Brendan McCullagh threw out the first allegation because Richins is being held without bail for the duration of her pending murder trial. So McCullagh scheduled an evidentiary hearing for 5/13/24 @ 2:30pm, two days before a hearing will decide if Richins is put on trial for murder & an evidentiary hearing (murder) at 8am. With a preliminary hearing on 5/15/24 @ 9am & motion hearing (virtual) [Case #220500076/property rights case] on 5/20/24 @ 3pm.

During the brief hearing in front of Judge Richard Mrazik, prosecutors were given permission to admit additional evidence ahead of the preliminary hearing.

Representatives from the Gordon Law Group in Heber City also appeared at the hearing as prosecutors attempt to have the law practice supply records regarding a divorce consultation Richins previously had with the firm, KPCW reports.

According to KPCW reporting, prosecutors claim Kouri Richins was unfaithful during her marriage to Eric, and believe subpoenaed records could help supply a motive for killing her husband.

Wednesday's preliminary hearing is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.

Am I the only one that thinks KR’s attorney has a thing for the judge?
Good reason, IMO…. not to have a female defense attorney with a young semi handsome judge. Just sayin….
Lol. I've watched SL in other cases. She does not discriminate-- young or old, she's flirty with the Court.

But if the Judge begins copying and pasting from her Defense Motions on his Orders, then you know the prosecution is in trouble! (I'm not kidding-- happened on my last case). JMO

I dunno -- Weds prelim is sounding like it might be somewhat skinny from today's hearing.

In response to the Court's inquiry about Charge #4 in the Amended Complaint, the Prosecutor seemed to me to be somewhat non-committal for (Rule) 1102 or Reliable Hearsay in Criminal Preliminary Examinations.

Personally, I'll be disappointed since the Prelim is generally the only time rules are relaxed to allow hearsay evidence to be heard. MOO

Lol. I've watched SL in other cases. She does not discriminate-- young or old, she's flirty with the Court.

But if the Judge begins copying and pasting from her Defense Motions on his Orders, then you know the prosecution is in trouble! (I'm not kidding-- happened on my last case). JMO
So she’s just a flirtatious girl. Good to know. I still say I wouldn’t want a girly flirtatious defense attorney. But that’s just me.

Please explain. TIA

The hearing on Monday was fairly routine. Lawyers addressed exhibits they intend to admit for this week’s preliminary hearing and corrected a few errors in those exhibits.

State attorney Brad Bloodworth told Judge Richard Mrazik the prosecution intends to call on two witnesses on Wednesday while Richins’ defense attorney Skye Lazaro said she plans to call on one additional witness.

Finally, Judge Mrazik heard from the Gordon Law Group regarding a subpoena requesting records relating to a consultation with Kouri Richins about possibly filing for divorce from her late husband, Eric Richins.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage
Back