UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #3

Skye Lazaro and the attorneys at Ray Quinney & Nebeker P.C. have been leading Kouri Richins' defense in the civil and criminal cases against her, including for the alleged murder of her husband, Eric Richins.

The firm filed paperwork May 17 stating an "irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation" for the need to withdraw from her defense.

I think this should be good
But I really want to know why irreconcilable

Skye Lazaro and the attorneys at Ray Quinney & Nebeker P.C. have been leading Kouri Richins' defense in the civil and criminal cases against her, including for the alleged murder of her husband, Eric Richins.

The firm filed paperwork May 17 stating an "irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation" for the need to withdraw from her defense.

So if I read that article correctly, did the law firm representing KR simply reject all of the prosecution evidence in court filings - so that would delay the case - and they could then withdraw from the case?

IANAL. But it sure seems suspicious IMO. Hope that is investigated properly, and sanctions laid on the attorneys and their practice(s) if appropriate. MOO

The firm [Ray Quinney & Nebeker P.C.] filed paperwork May 17 stating an "irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation" for the need to withdraw from her defense.
^^rsbm

Seems the firm as a whole choses to emphasize only 'white collar' criminal law (i.e., Industries & Expertise).

^^rsbm

Seems the firm as a whole choses to emphasize only 'white collar' criminal law (i.e., Industries & Expertise).

Why did they take her case on in the first place?

I’m thinking it would have to be something that was unethical, that might threaten her law license and/or result in criminal charges.
IIRC. This happened in the eyedrops case; the perp created a situation that was untenable by claiming her attorneys had illegally taken non-legal papers from the jail in order to plant evidence retroactively that would exonerate her. This was after conviction, before sentencing. The judge had to dismiss those attorneys, at their request.
This is what Kouri did, too, via the “novel”. Per Kouri, Skye was manufacturing “evidence” and facilitating the planting of “evidence” retroactively.

I’m thinking it would have to be something that was unethical, that might threaten her law license and/or result in criminal charges.
IIRC. This happened in the eyedrops case; the perp created a situation that was untenable by claiming her attorneys had illegally taken non-legal papers from the jail in order to plant evidence retroactively that would exonerate her. This was after conviction, before sentencing. The judge had to dismiss those attorneys, at their request.
This is what Kouri did, too, via the “novel”. Per Kouri, Skye was manufacturing “evidence” and facilitating the planting of “evidence” retroactively.
I wondered about that back when it was reported, and was about halfway expecting Skye to withdraw from the case then. I guess it takes time.

Monday, May 20th:
*Motions Hearing {Property Rights case} (@ 3pm MT) - UT - *Eric Eugene Richins (39) poisoned with a lethal dose of fentanyl by wife on Mar. 3, 2022 in Kamas. - *Kouri Darden Richins (33/now 34) arrested (5/8/23) & charged (6/5/23) with 2nd degree aggravated murder & 3 counts of possession of drugs with intent to distribute. [These charges were dismissed on 3/25/24-see recharges]. Re-charged (3/25/24) with 2 counts of 1st degree criminal homicide aggravated murder (DV), 2 counts of 2nd degree distribution of a controlled substance, 2 counts of 2nd degree mortgage fraud (Iron Bridge Financial & Boomerrang Finance), 2 counts of 2nd degree insurance fraud & 2 counts of 3rd degree forgery. Held without bond. Bond denied (6/12/23). DA will not seek DP (8/18/23).
Judge Richard Mrazik presiding. Prosecutor Patricia Cassell & Brad Bloodworth & Defense attorney Skye Lazaro.
Case & court info from 6/5/23 thru 5/5/24 reference post #42 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...cted-death-last-year-may-2023-3.711978/page-3

5/13/24 Update: Civil case [#221200316]: After Kouri failed to show evidence she complied with the agreement, Justice Court Judge Brendan McCullagh found Kouri guilty of the assault. The crime carries a punishment of up to six months in jail. No sentencing date has been set. Criminal: Lawyers addressed exhibits they intend to admit for this week’s preliminary hearing & corrected a few errors in those exhibits. State attorney Brad Bloodworth told Judge Richard Mrazik the prosecution intends to call on two witnesses on Wednesday while Richins’ defense attorney Skye Lazaro said she plans to call on one additional witness. Judge Richard Mrazik: prosecutors were given permission to admit additional evidence ahead of the preliminary hearing. Representatives from the Gordon Law Group in Heber City also appeared at the hearing as prosecutors attempt to have the law practice supply records regarding a divorce consultation Richins previously had with the firm. Prosecutors claim Richins was unfaithful during her marriage to Eric & believe subpoenaed records could help supply a motive for killing her husband. Finally, Judge Mrazik heard from the Gordon Law Group regarding a subpoena requesting records relating to a consultation with Richins about possibly filing for divorce from her late husband, Eric Richins. 5/15/24, Wednesday's preliminary hearing is scheduled to begin at 9am. A motions hearing (virtual) [Case #220500076/property rights case] on 5/20/24 @ 3pm.
5/15/24 Update: Murder: Attorneys for Richins asked the court to Friday to disqualify the team of prosecutors from continuing to work on the case. Richins' attorneys allege Summit County chief prosecutor Brad Bloodworth has been improperly using communications between Richins & her attorneys — which the attorneys say should be considered private under client-attorney privilege — while preparing the case against Richins. They ask in a motion to the court for all prosecutors to be dismissed but "specifically" Bloodworth. Prosecutors have not yet responded to either of the motions filed on Friday. The Judge has decided to continue the preliminary hearing on 6/18/24 & 6/19 & 6/20 are also blocked as needed.
5/17/24 Update: Skye Lazaro & the attorneys at Ray Quinney & Nebeker P.C. have been leading Richins' defense in the civil & criminal cases against her. The firm filed paperwork May 17 stating an "irreconcilable & nonwaivable situation" for the need to withdraw from her defense. Court documents state the issues first arose in Richins' civil cases but involve the firm as a whole so it can no longer represent her in the criminal proceedings either. The specifics of the "irreconcilable" matter are unclear. The firm stated the situation emerged after a hearing May 15 when Third District Court Judge Richard Mrazik was to determine if there was enough evidence for Richins to stand trial for murder. However, Richins' attorneys objected to all of Summit County prosecutors’ evidence & witness statements, delaying the case until June [6/18-6/20/24]. Now Richins' attorneys have asked the court to immediately grant the firm's request to withdraw & appoint new counsel to safeguard her constitutional rights & continue her defense in the charges against her.

This is no surprise. moo
Only surprise is what took the state so long to file a motion to withdraw from representing KR’s case.
Suspect it’s been in the works since the walk the dog letter.
Didn’t KR throw SL under the bus in that ridiculous letter? Idk - it is all speculative

Well, well, well. Interesting.

Did someone read the writing on the wall? She’s guilty, guilty, guilty.

IMO

Did the money run out?

I imagine any properties still in KR’s name will be sold to pay all those investors and banks she bamboozled. More writing on the wall.

Did the money run out???

That has got to be what it is. yes, they want to win the case but being paid for all that work is more important to a law firm.

This was in the KPCW article:
Court documents state the issues first arose in Richins' civil cases but involve the firm as a whole so it can no longer represent her in the criminal proceedings either. The specifics of the "irreconcilable" matter are unclear.

So, it doesn't seem like it was the Walking the Dog letter itself which prompted the withdrawal request, but something else on the civil side. Kouri is so volatile, I can imagine her accusing her attorneys of cheating her or lying to her or something like that.

If so, Kouri shot herself in the foot. I thought Lazaro was doing a good job of representing her. The best anyone could do under these circumstances. At the very least, the trial will now be delayed until she can find a new attorney and they come up to speed.

This was in the KPCW article:
Court documents state the issues first arose in Richins' civil cases but involve the firm as a whole so it can no longer represent her in the criminal proceedings either. The specifics of the "irreconcilable" matter are unclear.

So, it doesn't seem like it was the Walking the Dog letter itself which prompted the withdrawal request, but something else on the civil side. Kouri is so volatile, I can imagine her accusing her attorneys of cheating her or lying to her or something like that.

If so, Kouri shot herself in the foot. I thought Lazaro was doing a good job of representing her. The best anyone could do under these circumstances. At the very least, the trial will now be delayed until she can find a new attorney and they come up to speed.

She was millions in debt BEFORE she was arrested and the creditors would have 1st digs on whateve money she had.

Why did they take the case in the first place if they knew she couldn't possibly pay?

She was millions in debt BEFORE she was arrested and the creditors would have 1st digs on whateve money she had.

Why did they take the case in the first place if they knew she couldn't possibly pay?

No, this isn't true. The judge specifically guaranteed her access to money to pay attorneys fees.
Mrazik said he wants to be careful to preserve Kouri’s ability to fund her defense, otherwise her Sixth Amendment rights might be violated.

Edit - Perhaps a lawyer can chime in on what an attorney's obligations are to a client who becomes indigent while they are representing her. My understanding is that they can't just drop her and claim "irreconcilable differences".

A lawyer ordinarily must decline or withdraw from representation if the client demands that the lawyer engage in conduct that is illegal or violates the Rules of Professional Conduct or other law.
rule 1.6 ABA

dunno but I suspect the above is the reason, although if it is we will never know. To say so would cause undue prejudice to her client's ability to get a fair trial so code must be used instead. again just my own speculation.

Court Calendar Update as of 5/21/24:

10:00 AM In Person Hearing
5/24/2024
THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT - SILVER SUMMIT DISTR (Hearing location is in PARK CITY - More Info)
District Court

STATE OF UTAH
vs.
KOURI DARDEN RICHINS
RICHARD MRAZIK
COURTROOM B
STATUS HEARING

Case # 231500139
State Felony
View Case Details

9:00 AM In Person Hearing
6/18/2024
THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT - SILVER SUMMIT DISTR (Hearing location is in PARK CITY - More Info)
District Court

STATE OF UTAH
vs.
KOURI DARDEN RICHINS
RICHARD MRAZIK
COURTROOM B
PRELIMINARY HEARING

Case # 231500139
State Felony
View Case Details

9:00 AM In Person Hearing
6/19/2024
District Court

STATE OF UTAH
vs.
KOURI DARDEN RICHINS
RICHARD MRAZIK
COURTROOM B
PRELIMINARY HEARING

Case # 231500139
State Felony
View Case Details

Court Calendars - Utah Courts

ETA: The Court has since granted the Motion for KR's defense attorneys to withdraw from her case -- making the updates moot.

Last edited:

5/20, 21/2024

PARK CITY — In a private hearing Monday, the attorneys for Kouri Richins were granted a motion to withdraw as her defense team.

The motion was granted during court hearing in 3rd Judicial District Court.

On Friday, Ray Quinney and Nebeker P.C., the law firm representing Richins filed a motion with the court withdraw from the case. The request to withdraw was based on “an irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back