UT UT - Sonia Mejia, 29, & Damiana Castillo, 57, Salt Lake County, 9 Feb 2006 & 2008

Santeria is spun off of Catholicism.

Actually, Santeria is part Carribean, part Catholic, and part Native American. Perhaps a better word would be a "merging" of the three. And even then, it was because those of Carribean origin were converted to Christianity a long time ago.

Have any ideas on how common it is for a murderer to reoffend because of a certain date, on a certain date?

I believe Dennis Rader (BTK) did this at least once. I have to go to my books to check the details.

I don't know about the Latino community here. But people in Utah in general are very trusting and don't lock their doors....

Ahh...okay...thanks for the info SuziQ...I was raised in Miami!! lol - you locked your door as soon as you went in/out of it...no matter what!!!! =)

Actually, Santeria is part Carribean, part Catholic, and part Native American. Perhaps a better word would be a "merging" of the three. And even then, it was because those of Carribean origin were converted to Christianity a long time ago.

Very true, Soobs, thank you for the better explanation :)

It's the "merging" of ancient African Gods assimilated to Catholic Saints. I'm not sure about the Native American part, how is that merged into Santeria as well? I think the Brazil variant is Condomble and Umbanda.

Very true, Soobs, thank you for the better explanation :)

It's the "merging" of ancient African Gods assimilated to Catholic Saints. I'm not sure about the Native American part, how is that merged into Santeria as well? I think the Brazil variant is Condomble and Umbanda.

Hi MeoW333. Native American as in the indigenous people of the carribean. Not those of the continental United States. The caribe indians come to mind off hand.

Very interesting history about the caribes. Anyway, they are one of the groups to be considered indigenous to the carribean islands. So very simply put, they were there, the Spaniards came settled in and then the Spaniards brought over Africans to do the manual labor. Then you have a blending of those races over centuries and viola you have a one sentence history of Puerto Rico :)

So that would give you a very simple idea of the blending of the cultures and religions and genetics :D

Ahh...okay...thanks for the info SuziQ...I was raised in Miami!! lol - you locked your door as soon as you went in/out of it...no matter what!!!! =)

Lol, you are just like me. The more I've thought about it, I think the Latino culture here is a little more saavy than the rest when it comes to crime. I could be wrong, but they seem like they would would lock their doors and be careful. The ones I know are.

Another thought I had is we've had a problem with door to door salesmen attacking naive women (I love this state, but they are naive). Those people are scary and my little town has outright banned them.

Silly to even bring up, SuziQ, but it is Girl Scout cookie season...and a lot of other fundrasiers...I was a GS for a long time...hate to even mention that..but it crossed my mind yesterday.

I would open the door for a GS, even if it was just to get their parent's telephone number to call and let them know how dangerous it was for a child to be going door-to-door and then CPS (although I did...not smart, but a different time....and I did it behind my parent's backs =P)

Hi MeoW333. Native American as in the indigenous people of the carribean. Not those of the continental United States. The caribe indians come to mind off hand.

Very interesting history about the caribes. Anyway, they are one of the groups to be considered indigenous to the carribean islands. So very simply put, they were there, the Spaniards came settled in and then the Spaniards brought over Africans to do the manual labor. Then you have a blending of those races over centuries and viola you have a one sentence history of Puerto Rico :)

So that would give you a very simple idea of the blending of the cultures and religions and genetics :D

Sorry to add to this, Kat, but I'm actually taking my second class right now specifically on this topic of Amerindians and the Caribbean (now doing the French Caribbean) with one of the foremost authorities in the world on this subject.

The Caribs were on the Lesser Antilles, and the Spaniards avoided this area because they were seeking gold (at first, and then when that didn't pan out, sought to bring about the first "sugar revolution", which ultimately failed at the time of the Tiano-Arawak's extinction in the early 1500s, thus making way for the African Slave Trade, as Indentured Servants died too quickly, could not meet labor demands, and scoffed at the idea of doing "slave labor"). If you want to know the term for these indigenous populations, it is "Amerindian", in an academic sense.

Caribs survived until the early 19th c., but the Arawaks on the Greater Antilles were decimated rather quickly (for various reasons, but mainly because of their political structure and epidemiological factors).

Puerto Rico was not where the rest of these populations were deported to...they were sent to Saint Dominique (modern Haiti) and St. Vincent's...

The ethnogenesis you are speaking of is most likely the "Black Caribs"...they were deported to Honduras in 1797 by the British (called "Garifuna"). The only place now-a-days that has any remnants of these populations is Saint Dominique (Haiti), according to the foremost academics on this subject. Creole (and all included forms) is remarkable in that it is the most recently created language in the world. The different Creoles cannot even be called dialects because they are so different. This blending was from the African and French populations

In all my studies, I have never encountered Puerto Rico as having any role in these populations....and P.R. is not considered to be in the "Caribbean" by modern-day Historians.

Not trying to be snarky - I just spend ridiculous amounts of time/energy on this subject for school and thought I would throw in a mini-history lesson! =)

Silly to even bring up, SuziQ, but it is Girl Scout cookie season...and a lot of other fundrasiers...I was a GS for a long time...hate to even mention that..but it crossed my mind yesterday.

I would open the door for a GS, even if it was just to get their parent's telephone number to call and let them know how dangerous it was for a child to be going door-to-door and then CPS (although I did...not smart, but a different time....and I did it behind my parent's backs =P)

It is something that happens every February. Flower deliveries as well.

Great thought about the flowers, SuziQ...had forgotten about V-day and that particular case...

Okay i gotcha lol i thought it was meant USA Native American..
Puerto Ricans have Taino native..

Yup MeoW333. Taino was the name I was looking for not caribe.

Thank you for the history on it Truthful Lies! I found it very interesting:)

I don't understand what is meant by the lady of guadalupe being a cult outside of the church. There's a Lady of Guadalupe Catholic church in my town, and they're all over.

i wonder if the killer skipped that year or if the body just wasn't found on that day. or perhaps it looked like natural causes.

My first thoughts were that he either did kill someone and it wasn't recogonized as being related to the other two (maybe a different jurisdiction?) or that he was in jail at that time. Criminals are often picked up on lesser petty charges before their really horrific crimes are connected to them.

I could not locate a thread on these two cases so I am starting a new one. Everyone half expected to have a murder occur in 2010 as it would have been two years since the previous murder.

Today's date holds a grisly reminder for West Valley City police. Two unsolved murders happened on Feb. 9, just two years apart.
Police will be conducting extra patrols around apartment complexes within the city. They don't want fear to keep people from coming forward with a tip that could crack both cases.
On February 9, 2006 Sonia Mejia, 29, was strangled and sexually assaulted in her Taylorsville apartment. She was six months pregnant and the baby died, too.
Another woman, Damiana Castillo, 57, was killed in her West Valley City apartment on the same day two years later. There were no signs of forced entry. In 2009, police linked the two deaths.

More at link:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14312546

Related Stories

DNA used to charge mystery man in same-date deaths

Police asking for help to solve two murders

I was just coming to start a thread on this too..thanks Suzi! :)

I remember hearing about Sonia's case, and it is heartbreaking (especially because she was pregnant at the time). I didn't realize cops feel the same person is responsible for another murder. How scary. Hopefully cops have more to go on than just a description of the suspect, at this point. :(

From February 2010:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14366587

Sonia Mejia, 29, who was six months pregnant, was murdered Feb. 9, 2006, at her Taylorsville apartment. Damiana Castillo, 57, was slain Feb. 9, 2008, at her West Valley City apartment, about a mile from Mejia's.

Police do not know the name of their killer -- but prosecutors on Monday used a DNA profile developed from evidence found at both crime scenes to charge him. Referring to the killer as "John Doe," prosecutors filed documents in 3rd District Court charging him with two counts of aggravated murder, which carry the potential for the death penalty, for the slaying of Mejia and her unborn son.

The killer is also charged with two counts of aggravated robbery, one count of aggravated burglary and one count of aggravated sexual assault, all first-degree felonies punishable by up to life in prison.

From May 2014:

http://www.news.com.au/world/how-di...away-with-murder/story-fndir2ev-1226919944865

The known death toll from the so-called February 9 Killer isn’t as high as many others but deserves a mention because it is so bizarre it could be taken straight from a crime novel.

In 2006 Salt Lake City police found the body of Sonia Mejia, who was pregnant, inside her apartment. She’d been strangled to death. Then two years later, on exactly the same date, Damiana Castillo, was killed in exactly the same way.

Police have a DNA profile linking the murders but don’t have a match for the profile and the case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back