VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

PastTense

Reaction score
"Emily and Cullen Bivens, the wife and son of Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect Blake Bivens, were among three people shot and killed in a triple homicide on Tuesday, along with Emily’s mother. 19-year-old Matthew Bernard is in custody; he is suspected of killing his sister, mother, and nephew.

Bernard was taken into custody after he was found running naked through Keeling, Virginia, a few hours after the murders took place. In addition to the deaths of 24-year-old Emily and one-year-old Cullen, Emily and Matthew’s mother, 62-year-old mother, Joan Bernard, was the third victim in the slaying. The family dog was also shot and killed, authorities say."

Emily & Cullen Bivens: Blake Bivens’ Wife & Son Murdered | Heavy.com

"Matthew Bernard is a Virginia man accused of killing his mother, sister and 1-year-old nephew at his home in rural Pittsylvania County, authorities say. The victims include 24-year-old Emily Bernard Bivens and Cullen Bivens, the wife and son of Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect Blake Bivens. Bernard’s 62-year-old mother, Joan Bernard, was also killed.The 19-year-old Bernard was taken into custody by police while running naked through Keeling, Virginia, hours after the murders."
Matthew Bernard: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
17768918-7401353-Bivens_wife_and_young_child_were_among_the_three_victims_of_the_-a-52_1566959704472.jpg

Mental illness? Drugs?

Last edited:
Pittsylvania County man allegedly murdered his mother, sister and her child

Matthew Bernard, 19, allegedly killed his mother, sister, her child and a dog, according to Matthew's uncle.

A neighbor told 10 News the suspect looked nervous and frightened. She said she saw the suspect run out from behind her house toward Keeling Baptist Church. She said he was naked and deputies tried pepper-spraying him, but, she said, he was unfazed. She said she saw him choke someone at the church. Deputies then hit him with batons and arrested him, she said.

State Police: Suspect in custody after three killed in Pittsylvania County

One woman was found in the driveway of 1949 Keeling Drive, and another woman as well as a child were found inside the house.

The suspect, 18-year-old Matthew Bernard, was found and apprehended less than a half-mile away from the home after trying to escape deputies and troopers. He is facing three first-degree murder charges according to the Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office.

This poor family. :(:(
They look like they were such a beautiful little family and he's taken them away.
I saw the video and I've seen the subsequent social media outbreak on profiles and posts.
It's so very sad.

So sad!

Not sure if it’s mental illness or drug but in the vid I saw, he was running around naked and I couldn’t pinpoint what was wrong with him. His eyes were wide but vacant and he was running with purposeful movements.
Vid here: Naked homicide suspect captured after trying to flee from police in Virginia

I agree - he looks like he is out of it. Reminds me of people who have smoked Spice or sniffed bath salts [if anyone remembers that period of time where people were munching on each other...]
I have a horrible feeling he has taken something, had a bad reaction and freaked out attacking whoever was near him without realising who it was.

My condolences to the family; the husband must be absolutely broken god bless his soul. I saw his team posting support and statements on social media about it as well. :(:(

Naked, with superhuman strength, running through fields, looking scared and confused, ----I am going to say Drugs. Perhaps combined with mental health issues. Bad combination.

My heart goes out to the family survivors. This will be absolutely devastating. :(

Triple homicide suspect's uncle: "Just an all-around perfect kid"

Matthew Bernard's uncle said that everyone is surprised by what happened.

"In my wildest dreams, I never could have imagined it. Not him. Of all the people in this world. I never could have imagined it," Bryant Bernard said.

Bryant Bernard also said that Matthew is a student at Danville Community College who regularly attended church.

"This boy’s a Christian. Went to church every Sunday, every Wednesday, every Sunday night. Taught youth groups. Just an all-around perfect kid, in my opinion," Bryant Bernard said.

Bryant Bernard said the only explanation he can think of is that Matthew expressed to his mother last week that he was having bad dreams.

Naked, with superhuman strength, running through fields, looking scared and confused, ----I am going to say Drugs. Perhaps combined with mental health issues. Bad combination.

My heart goes out to the family survivors. This will be absolutely devastating. :(

This has devastated the family and community.
The family is well know. They own a local campground, have lived in area for generations and are know to be good folks.

No one can figure this out. I thought drugs maybe the outcome. Local SM is shocked and can't believe this happened. He was such a good kid, no outward signs, nothing.

I know they did take him to Danville Hospital, hopefully they can determine what happened to him. The family will need closure.

I am glad that LE did not shoot him. If this had been a large city that may have been the outcome.

My heart breaks for all.

JMHO

Family of 19-year-old who 'murdered his mother, baby nephew and sister' - the wife of Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect - reveals the devout Christian and 'all-round perfect kid' was mentally ill
"New details have emerged about the 19-year-old Virginia man accused of murdering the wife, baby son, mother-in-law and pet dog of a Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect - with the suspect's relatives claiming he is mentally ill...

A relative exclusively told DailyMail.com that Matthew has been struggling with mental illness and 'came to a breaking point.'...

Matthew's uncle, Bryant Bernard, spoke to the station WSLS following his nephew's dramatic capture, which played out in front of news cameras, saying he was stunned by what happened. 'In my wildest dreams, I never could have imagined it. Not him. Of all the people in this world. I never could have imagined it,' Bryant said. The uncle said Matthew is a student at Danville Community College who regularly attended church...'This boy’s a Christian. Went to church every Sunday, every Wednesday, every Sunday night. Taught youth groups. Just an all-around perfect kid, in my opinion,' the murder suspect's uncle said... Police so far have not said anything about a possible motive, but Bryant revealed that as recently as last week, his nephew had confided in his mother that he was having bad dreams. He did not go into further detail."
Family of 19-year-old who 'murdered his mother, nephew and sister' speak out | Daily Mail Online

This has devastated the family and community.
The family is well know. They own a local campground, have lived in area for generations and are know to be good folks.

No one can figure this out. I thought drugs maybe the outcome. Local SM is shocked and can't believe this happened. He was such a good kid, no outward signs, nothing.

I know they did take him to Danville Hospital, hopefully they can determine what happened to him. The family will need closure.

I am glad that LE did not shoot him. If this had been a large city that may have been the outcome.

My heart breaks for all.

JMHO
Oh I do hope he is medically checked out. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt as it sounds like this could very well have been an acute change in him. Really makes me wonder if he could perhaps have a temporal, pituitary, or frontal lobe brain tumor.
Tragedy and heartbreaking all around.

ETAPsychiatric aspects of brain tumors: A review

Last edited:
So sad!

Not sure if it’s mental illness or drug but in the vid I saw, he was running around naked and I couldn’t pinpoint what was wrong with him. His eyes were wide but vacant and he was running with purposeful movements.
Vid here: Naked homicide suspect captured after trying to flee from police in Virginia
I hope the dog didn't get pepper spray on him. One report I read said they doused the runner and it was running down his face and chest. I hope it's still burning him!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back