VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

I wonder if anyone else knew they where going on a campfire date? I had thought no one knew why they where there. I just do not understand this case at all. Did either one of them have a my space which would of made mention of that public? Maybe we should use reverse seach on LE to see if the know more then they are saying.

I wonder too. I think they had Facebook pages, but I couldn't find - maybe they were pulled.

Article and video with parents at link.

September 8, 2009
Parents of slain Virginia Tech students Heidi Childs and David Metzler sit down with News7

The parents of slain Virginia Tech students Heidi Childs and David Metzler sat down with News7 in Lynchburg for their first local interview.

They're in contact with members of this investigative task force if not daily, almost every other day.

In the meantime, extreme patience and prayer gets them through.
"On a scale of everything I've ever experienced in my life, this is the hardest by far," says Donald Childs.

It was less than two weeks ago the four parents Keith, Susan, Laura and Donald had their world turned upside down.

"From very early on, even in the nursery, people would walk by and they called her 'Smiley' and she was just a real blessing to us," says Laura Childs.

[snipped]

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11094156

I wonder if anyone else knew they where going on a campfire date? I had thought no one knew why they where there. I just do not understand this case at all. Did either one of them have a my space which would of made mention of that public? Maybe we should use reverse seach on LE to see if the know more then they are saying.

Heidi Childs told her father that she was going on a "campfire date." So I wonder if LE found the remains of a campfire in the area. Might give evidence of how long they had been at the site before being attacked.

Could this horrific murder have been a gang retaliation for the conviction of Letalvis Cobbins in the Nashville TN double murder of another young couple, Channon Christian and Christopher Newsome? The Cobbins conviction came down on August 25; this young couple was apparently murdered on the night of the 26. The two young couples were roughly the same ages, and also traveling in a truck. They seem to resemble each other.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/news/local/channon-christian-christopher-newsom-murders/

Correction: Metzler was found inside a 17-year-old blue Toyota car.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/new...estigate_virginia_tech_students_deaths/19404/

By Matt Busse

Published: September 11, 2009

Special Report

Heidi Childs and David Metzler

Get more coverage, including past stories, the teens’ obituaries and a link to an online prayer group in their memory.

A multi-agency task force has formed to investigate the deaths of two Virginia Tech students from the Lynchburg area.

Heidi Childs, 18, and David Metzler, 19, were found dead at an off-campus camping area Aug. 27. Authorities have called their deaths a “random act” of homicide.

Authorities have said leads have been elusive, and Virginia Tech is offering $10,000 for information leading to the arrest of the teens’ killer or killers.

The task force consists of:

the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office;

the Town of Blacksburg and Christiansburg police departments;

the Virginia Tech Police Department;

the Virginia State Police;

the Federal Bureau of Investigation;

the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms;

the United States Marshal’s Office; and

the United States Forest Service.

“Bringing the various agencies who have already contributed to the investigation of this crime into one centralized location and group just makes good sense,“ Montgomery County Sheriff Tommy Whitt said in a news release.

When i 1st saw this case on fox news it really bothered me. When someone is killed it always a horrific thing, but what really got me was how there is no apparent motive and they called it a random act of violence. Being a avid backpacker/kayaker outdoorsy person i spend a lot of time camping and enjoying nature. Over the years i have always heard of stories or serial killers prowling around national parks and usually i dont ever feel uncomfortable when i am out in the wilderness. There has been a few occurrences over the years that had made me feel uncomfortable(usually over intoxicated people) but intoxicated people can tend to do random acts of violence. Recently when i was camping and backpacking in West Viginia Mononhahela National Forest nothing drastic happened except one night some local kids i assumed was driving on the road near my campsite yelling, they were obviously intoxicated. It made me a little uncomfortable that night. I did notice in the week that i was there i did not see a forest ranger of any kind one time except when i went to the forest center some 50 miles away to get some trail maps. I know there is budget cuts and our national parks are usually the last ones to receive money but i really think that some of national parks and forest really need to make law enforcement more visible to keep things safe and deter people from acting foolish in the wilderness.

I hope they find the person/persons responsible for this very horrific crime soon. Not only to bring some closure to family and friends of victims and to serve justice to those responsible. Also because until who is responsible is caught people who enjoy the outdoors will be in fear or not able to enjoy the outdoors. I would also like to say that the police should be saying something, i can understand that they don't want to jeopardize the case, but people have a right to know if this was one random act of violence or should us other people who like camping and hiking be concerned of a serial killer.

hopefully with the new task force things will be solved swiftly

Associated Press - September 17, 2009 8:45 AM ET
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - A reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the slayings of 2 Virginia Tech students has reached $50,000.
Virginia Tech put up $10,000 and a Lynchburg cardiologist has raised $40,000. Dr. Chad Hoyt says his goal is raise the total reward to $100,000, an amount that he believes will prompt someone to talk.

more at the link: http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11147666

Can't find any new info at all on this one. I would think that the autopsy results would have been released by now or at least part of it. :waitasec:

This bit of information isn't directly related to the murder of the two VA Tech students, but I thought some might find it interesting. The other murders that took place in Shenandoah and the Colonial Parkway are being reopened. Not that they actually were closed but they had gone cold.

I really hope they find out who murdered these people. It's been too long for them to running around free.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/local_wavy_victims_families_find_renewed_hope_20091016

Morgan Dana Harrington,
gone missing
wondering outloud...
could any recent sexual
invasions
home invasions
robberies
any crime at all be the same perp who took her?

Any crimes that happened at all similar to this one?
Seems likely that a person either had planned this or a person known to do aggressive things did this to her?

Anybody know of recent crimes similar or having to do with attempted abductions in this general area?
Perhaps
a jilted Boyfriend or girlfriend did this
never exclude females on females crimes...

By Bryan Gentry
Lynchburg News & Advance
Published: October 27, 2009

<snip>

In the days following the slaying of Heidi Childs two months ago, her father says the family sought comfort in calling her cell phone to hear her voicemail greeting.

Canceling her cell phone and losing the chance to hear her voice was one of several difficult emotional experiences her father recalled in a statement released Monday by Virginia State Police. In that statement, Don Childs pleaded for any information that could help investigators learn who killed his daughter and her boyfriend, David Metzler.

more here

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local...er_makes_new_plea_in_daughters_killing/57585/

This bit of information isn't directly related to the murder of the two VA Tech students, but I thought some might find it interesting. The other murders that took place in Shenandoah and the Colonial Parkway are being reopened. Not that they actually were closed but they had gone cold.

I really hope they find out who murdered these people. It's been too long for them to running around free.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/local_wavy_victims_families_find_renewed_hope_20091016

They should be able to find dna in some of those crimes. After reading the desricption of some of the murders there is no way Dna evidence is not present,now lets just hope they have whoever commited these crimes DNA of file.
I do not believe them looking at these murders has to do with the Murder of these students as I think it was being looked into before their murders.

Seems something evil is happening in this area. Hopefully it can be found and stopped.

It would fit that serial killer's MO of murdering in pairs.. his span of killing went on from 1986-1989 and then stopped (at least in that area).
Either it's a copycat, a random thrill kill, or he's come back to the area.

Does anybody have a link to the memorial service for David and Heidi?

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/new..._in_investigation_into_students_deaths/24442/

Christiansburg – Nearly six months after Lynchburg-area teens Heidi Childs and David Metzler were found dead in Montgomery County, county officials again asked the public for any information available on the double homicide.
At a news conference this morning, Sheriff Tommy Whitt and lead investigator Dennis Rakes said a task force of local, state and federal agencies has followed up on more than 1,000 leads related to the incident.
“We are still strongly committed to this (investigation),” Whitt said. “We’re just looking for fresh information.”
Authorities said the reward for information leading to arrests in the case now totals $70,000.
Childs, of Forest, and Metzler, of Campbell County, both students at Virginia Tech, were found dead the morning of Aug. 27 in the Caldwell Fields area of the Jefferson National Forest, off of Craig Creek Road.
The area is not far from Montgomery County’s intersection with Giles and Craig counties.
Rakes said the evidence shows the suspect or suspects are very familiar with that area.
Rakes said when considering a suspect or person of interest to bring to authorities’ attention, people should also keep in mind any behavioral changes that may have occurred around the time of the homicides.
“Someone may have noticed that … a person became sick, they may have been irritable,” he said, adding increased or decreased drug or alcohol use around that time could be an indicator that something was amiss.
Also, he said, a suspect may be paying particular attention to the case, keeping newspaper clippings or paying close attention when information regarding the homicides is broadcast.
Rakes said those factors could point to a suspect, but authorities are mostly looking for a geographic connection.
Even if, for instance, someone knows a family member was in the area, but believes they had nothing to do with the homicides, Rakes said they should alert authorities.
“If they were in that area, we still want to talk to them,” Rakes said.
Officials aren’t classifying the case as cold, despite the time that has passed, Whitt said.
“I’m not saying this case has stalemated, because it hasn’t,” Whitt said. “We just need a couple more pieces of the puzzle to put this thing together.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back