VA - Hannah Graham, UVA Student, 09.13.14, Media Links **NO DISCUSSION**

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4ac86a-0a24-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html

The trial is the first for Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 33, of Charlottesville. Authorities say he may be a serial predator. He also has been charged with capital murder in the high-profile killing of University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, and authorities say there is a DNA link between the Fairfax case and the slaying of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington in 2009. Matthew has not been charged in that case.

[video=youtube;jawv2krjd74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jawv2krjd74[/video]

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...se-matthew-in-2005-fairfax-attack-114586.html

Trial began Monday for Matthew, 33, of Charlottesville, in Fairfax, where he is charged with attempted capital murder, abduction and sexual assault in connection with a 2005 attack.
Matthew, wearing a dress shirt and yellow tie, entered his plea on all three counts in a soft-spoken voice.
Matthew was charged in the long-unsolved Fairfax case last year after his arrest in connection with Graham's disappearance yielded a hit on DNA evidence.

Police Investigated 40 People of Interest in Virginia Attack
Jun 9, 2015

Police investigated more than 40 people of interest before their nine-year search for the man who brutally attacked a woman in 2005 led them to Jesse Matthew, a detective testified Tuesday.

Matthew, 33, of Charlottesville, is on trial in Fairfax for attempted murder and sexual assault on a woman. He is also charged in a separate case with capital murder in the abduction and death last year of University of Virginia student Hannah Graham. The cases are linked by DNA evidence.

Jesse Matthew found guilty of all charges in Fairfax case
June 10, 2015

FAIRFAX, Va. (WUSA9) -- Jesse Matthew was found guilty of all three counts against him in an attempted murder case in Fairfax on Wednesday. Matthew was accused in a brutal attack 10 years ago in Fairfax County. He was charged with capital attempted murder, sexual assault, and abduction with intent to defile in the 2005 attack. Matthew entered an Alford plea around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

With the Alford plea, Matthew agreed that the Commonwealth has enough evidence against him. The Commonwealth never made a plea. The judge asked Matthew a series of questions and then decided he was guilty.

Much more at link^^^

Jesse Matthew Enters Alford Guilty Plea in 2005 Sex Assault in Fairfax
Jun 10, 2015

The testimony from a forensic scientist was the key evidence against Matthew at his trial. Scientist Elizabeth Ballard said the chance of someone other than Matthew being the source of the DNA was less than one in 7.2 billion.
The judge accepted the deal Wednesday for all three charges against Matthew, who said he understood he could face life in prison for each of the three charges. He acknowledged he knew that there is no parole in Virginia.

Who Was in the Courtroom for Jesse Matthew's Plea?

Matthew's parents, sister and girlfriend were a constant presence over the course of the two and a half days of trial. As Matthew pleaded guilty to all three charges, his mother cried and his father hunched over with his head down. His sister donned sunglasses shortly before Matthew entered his plea.
Also in attendance were Gil and Dan Harrington, parents of Morgan Harrington. Matthew has been linked to, but not charged in, Harrington's 2009 murder.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...c19e6e-106c-11e5-adec-e82f8395c032_story.html

“He said, ‘I will kill you if you scream again.’ ” That was a piece of the powerful testimony this week that helped convict Jesse L. Matthew Jr. The witness, who was in the United States on a student visa, was walking to her Fairfax City home from the grocery store when Mr. Matthew assaulted her in 2005. He grabbed her from behind, dragged her to a wooded area, sexually assaulted her and beat her before he was startled and ran off. “I was not able to understand if this was reality or some kind of bad dream,” she testified.

All below from:

Thursday, June 18, '15

In advance of Jesse Matthew's sentencing, woman testifies about aftermath of 2005 Fairfax attack
By Chris Suarez of the "The Daily Progress"

reports Ray Morrogh said, when the brief hearing ended,

[...]

“I was deeply moved by her statements,”

[...]

"What an amazing and wonderful woman to come from so far and not only stand up to herself, but to make sure she spoke for all women who are the victims of the scourge of sexual abuse.”

The woman seemed to avoid looking at Matthew throughout her testimony.

“She did tell me it was a very difficult thing to do, but I’m glad she did it,”

[...]

Victim testimony was once a rare occurrence in Virginia courts,

[...]

“It gives victims have a chance to have their say in court,”

[...]

“I appreciated her coming back for this purpose. She never lost faith in the system.”

And RG said

“My first instinct was to run away and not go through more turmoil,”

[...]

“I gathered myself to come forward. I felt that if I didn’t testify, what if this person isn’t charged and others were harmed? I did not want that to happen.”

[...]

~ * ~

Woman sexually assaulted by Jesse Matthew: ‘I feared this is going to be the end’
By Justin Jouvenal and T. Rees Shapiro of "The Washington Post"

“I felt utterly hopeless,” the woman testified, saying she remembered hoping that her screams would bring help. “I was thinking, ‘This is going to be the end, keep screaming, keep screaming.’ I feared this is going to be the end of my life.”

[...]

Physically, she had injuries to her back, hands, neck and nose; as she put it, “everything was hurting.”

“Coming so close to death, I had stopped living,” she said.

[...]

“I thought it would be selfish to talk about just me,” she told a prosecutor. “I’m one of the many victims. . . . By the time we are done talking, someone else will be a victim.”

~ * ~

Victim in Jesse Matthew attack testifies about aftermath
By Mather Barakat of the "Associated Press" in the The San Diego Union Tribune

She said she wanted “to move away from home and go where people don’t know you and don’t know this has happened to you …

“Victims don’t have many rights in the system,” Morrogh said. “This was her day to stand up for herself.”

~ * ~

NealAugenstein of "WTOP" on SoundCloud.
Commonwealth's Attorney Ray Morrogh PC

~ * ~

Jesse Matthew rape victim testifies she felt ‘utterly helpless’ during attack
Laura French reports for "CBS 6 WTVR"

[...]

“She didn’t want to look at him. She relives this constantly and just was not comfortable looking at him,” said Morrough.

[...]

Gil Harrington said

“She’s very humble she was thankful and we tried to communicate our great admiration and gratitude for the sacrifices and energy it took for the courage for her to speak her truth,”

[...]

"I applaud her courage and determination in finding her justice in this court building today and I'm most greatful for the service that she has given to other victims by her determination."

~ * ~

Jesse Matthew Fairfax assault victim makes impact statement
Peggy Fox reports for "WUSA"

WUSA9 has learned from sources familiar with Matthew's case that his defense team was split on whether he should plead guilty. His two attorneys from the Fairfax Public defenders office were not on board, sources tell WUSA9. But it was the attorney from Charlottesville, James Camblos, who has known Jesse Matthew and his family for years, who apparently convinced him to plead guilty.

Morrogh said, "She never lost faith," keeping Detective Boone's card. She even has it today and showed Morrogh.

[...]

"After 30 years in this business, I still believe most people are good. But some people are very, very bad and he's one of them,"

[...]

And Gil Harrington,

"She said there were no tears, just appreciation and gratefulness."

Hannah Graham trial tentatively set for July 2016
June 25, 2015

The trial for Jesse Matthew in the death of Hannah Graham has tentatively been set for July 5, 2016.

Graham was killed in September 2014 about five days after she disappeared. The search for the missing University of Virginia student drew national

http://www.nbc29.com/story/29406490/jesse-matthew-capital-murder-trial-date-set

ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va (WVIR) - An Albemarle County judge says she will not recuse herself from Jesse Matthew's trial.

Since the case is capital, both the prosecution and the defense have set a total of eight motions hearings ahead of the trial. Those dates are:
- August 20 at 1:30 p.m.
- September 30 at 2 p.m.
- November 10 at 2 p.m.
- January 5 at 1:30 p.m.
- March 2 at 1:30 p.m.
- April 19 at 1:30 p.m.
- May 9 at 10 a.m.
- May 25 at 1:30 p.m.

Matthew enters courtroom smiling, judge denies most pretrial motions during hearing
Ananda Rochita, WSLS 10 reports
on August 20, '15, @ 8:43 pm

Gil Harrington who wore Hannah Grahams's favorite color, orange, after watching the court proceedings today, said she

"wanted her presence to be like white hot flame in that courtroom."

~

Judge: UVa murder defendant must wear jail clothing for now
Nadine Maeser, WDBJ7, reports
11:31 pm edt Aug 20, 15

'They are planning to seat 12 jurors and have 4 alternates.'

Earlier report right after court
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/jud...motions-in-hannah-graham-murder-case/34823028

~

Suspect in Hannah Graham’s slaying was heading to Mexico, officer says
By T. Rees Shapiro, The Washington Post,
August 20, 7:04 pm

Albemarle County police officer said that [the perp] had maps indicating he was heading for Mexico in his sister’s car,
WTOP’s Neal Augenstein reported.

[...]

"Matthew’s capital defender, Douglas Ramseur, also had sought a gag order in the case, but Higgins ruled that Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney Denise Lunsford would be allowed to discuss the case with the news media."

~

Neal Augenstein, WTOP

"Where was [he] headed when he was on the run? We found out today."
from here

Jesse Matthew must wear jail clothes for Hannah Graham murder trial
WTOP, By The Associated Press

August 21, 2015 5:55 am

~

Judge Decided on Several Requests from Jesse Matthew's Attorneys in Court
Katie Brooke, WSET, reports
Posted: Aug 20, 2015 2:38 pm edt (paraphrased)

"A sergeant testified that he was a flight risk... and that he would be much harder to find if he were to escape'

in civilian clothes

Also, that

'there are hundred of pieces of evidence'

~

Judge Issues Rulings in Pre-trial Hearing for Jesse Matthew Case
Cat Boardman, NBC29, reports
August 20, '15 9:51 pm edt

Gil Harrington said

“What is my intent? My intent is to honor Hannah. It's not to prejudice anybody. There's no jury in the courtroom,” she said

However, some say [he] has already been judged.

“They want him to be in shackles and prison clothes. That image alone will cause so many people to prejudge,” said Maxine Holland. She added, “It is true, he is innocent until proven guilty. We cannot forget that.”

~

Albemarle judge denies most defense motions for Jesse Matthew
By Dean Seal, The Daily Progress
Thursday, August 20, '15 8:26 pm

Surrounded by 10 deputies, [he], clad in a gray prison jumpsuit, sat in chains Thursday during the first of eight motions hearings preceding his trial next summer.

[...]

"The prosecution also called [a sergeant] of the county police department to the stand. As one of the investigating officers in the [his] case, [sgt] testified that it would be “impractical and unsafe” to allow [him] to be unrestrained during the case,"

[... the defense lawyer, Ramseur he feared that]

"having an officer or prosecutor present during evidence examination could reveal too much of the defense’s strategy in court, saying he didn’t want to perform evidence reviews “under a microscope,” but the prosecution noted that the court had “no legal authority” to supersede the county police’s policies regarding evidence examination."

[...]

Judge denies majority of Jesse Matthew’s defense motions
Laura French and Alix Bryan, CBS6 News/WTVR report linked to more images and video from court
tonight about 10 pm

"• Motion invoking Matthew’s 4th, 5th and 6th Amendment rights specifically not to speak to law enforcement, the prosecutor, the attorney general’s office and other government agencies. No ruling, not applicable.

• Motion for Matthew to be present at every hearing. This motion was agreed upon. Matthew doesn’t have to be present, but he has the right to be present at every hearing.

• Motion asking for Matthew to not be shackled in public and appear in his personal attire during the trial. Denied. Matthew will wear prison attire and be shackled for pre-trial hearings, but will be able to wear personal attire during the trial.

• Motion to bar tokens or insignia of support for either side during trial. Denied, but will be taken under advisement for trial.

• Motion to appoint judge to hear expert funding requests. Denied.

• Motion to preserve all evidence, including biological evidence, physical evidence collected from crime scene and alleged weapons among others. Denied

• Motion to preserve law enforcement notes. Denied.

• Motion to stop any additional state evidence testing or examination without notifying the defense for approval. Denied

• Motion to have notice of parts of Jesse Matthew’s criminal past planned for use during any sentencing hearing. Mutual agreement. The Commonwealth of Virginia will give them this information by December 31, 2015.

• Motion for particulars on statutory aggravators the commonwealth would use at a capital sentencing. Denied

• Motion to examine evidence without the prosecutor or investigators present. Denied

• Motion to prohibit extrajudicial statements including any talk of a guilty plea and other matters by lawyers. Denied"

~

Pretrial motions made for Jesse Matthew case
By Kristin Smith, 8News / WRIC, reports
August 20, '15, 7:32 pm

"The judge denied the gag order but advised the Commonwealth’s Attorney to be very careful about what she says to the press."

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/08/20/judge-uva-murder-defendant-must-wear-jail-clothing/

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ial-Motions-in-UVa-Murder-Case-322374482.html

GRAHAM CASE DRIVES CAMPUS SECURITY CONCERN
Peggy Fox, WUSA*9
8:42 pm edt, August 21 '15

Parent of new student

"We reemphasize [the whole buddy system], do not leave a friend alone. ... It's okay to tell them, "'If you've had too much too drink, maybe we should leave,'"

[... campus security suggest]

download a safety app and to make sure to always have their cell phones charged and with them

[... Gil Harrington emphasizes]

"Look out for one another, if you see an unsafe situation, please intervene," Harrington said.

[...]

~

Investigator: Jesse Matthew had map for Mexico
Peggy Fox, WUSA*9
10:20 pm edt, August 20 '15

Shackled, but no gag: Judge denies most Jesse Matthew motions
Lisa Provence, C-VILLE Weekly
8/21/15, 3:14 pm

[... He]

shuffled into Albemarle Circuit Court in a greenish-gray jail jumpsuit, leg shackles and a belly chain that attached his handcuffed wrists to the middle of his torso.

[...]

Of the 12 motions, most of which were denied, “I didn’t see anything that shocked me,” said legal expert David Heilberg. “Those motions are pretty standard. The atmosphere in a capital courtroom is a sensitive matter if it goes to trial.”

A four-week trial is scheduled to begin on July 5, 2016.

IMG_0527_edit.jpg

"Courtesy: Allen Qiu"

Chalkboard event set for one-year mark of Graham's disappearance
Colleen Quigley, The Charlottesville Newsplex
Thu 1:18 pm, Sep 03 15

Allen Qiu braved ice and snow to climb more than 15,000 feet, but along the way, there was only one thing on his mind.

[...]

In her memory, Qiu and four others decided to complete a series of hikes on four continents. They climbed Kilimanjaro, Patagonia, Matterhorn and Mont Blanc, the mountain on which Graham had set her sights.

"Hannah had loved hiking. She had studied abroad in Lyon, so we had dreamed of going to hike Mont Blanc. So we talked about this, figured in a symbolic measure we would bring her memorial there. That got the ball rolling and we spread the memorial to several other summits,"

[...]

"I always imagined her skiing through the clouds."

~

Chalkboard event set for one-year mark of Graham's disappearance
The Daily Progress staff reports
Tuesday, September 8 '15, 6:50 pm

"On Sunday, Help Save the Next Girl will be chalking the First Amendment Monument on the Downtown Mall to mark one year since the abduction and slaying of University of Virginia student Hannah Graham.

The event will begin at noon and chalk will be provided."

[...]

~

Jesse Matthew lawyers request names, addresses of grand jury members behind Hannah Graham murder indictment
By Mike Bergazzi & Laura French, WTVR
6:25 pm , September 10 '15

[... if he is]

convicted of Graham's murder, prosecutors will seek the death penalty. [His] lawyers said prosecutors would argue [he] would likely be violent in prison should he receive a life sentence. His lawyers believe an expert may be able to convince a jury that the risk of [his] committing acts of violence while serving a life prison sentence would be low.

~

New motions filed in Jesse Matthew capital murder case
WVIR/WSLS September 11 '15, 5:33 am

[...]

Commonwealth’s Attorney Denise Lunsford has two weeks to respond to the motions. She did not file any motions in this round.

The motions will be argued at a hearing on September 30.

Area to mark a year since Graham's disappearance
By Derek Quizon, The Daily Progress
Saturday, September 12 '15, 4:12 pm

[... Gil Harrington says]

“The loss of a child is like a severing — it’s like having a limb ripped from you,” she said. “You can accommodate … but every single day you are aware that limb is gone. It’s constant.”

Jesse Matthew charged in student Morgan Harrington's death

[video=cnn;us/2014/09/30/ac-intv-harrington-family-hannah-graham.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/15/us/jesse-matthew-charged-morgan-harrington-case/index.html?sr=tw091515jessematthew730pStoryLink[/video]
By Catherine E. Shoichet and Patrick Cornell, CNN
Tue September 15, 2015

Morgan Harrington's parents were struck by the similarities as soon as they heard University of Virginia student Hannah Graham went missing.

Their daughter, a Virginia Tech student, had disappeared five years earlier at the same time of year, around the same time of night and in the same place -- Charlottesville, Virginia.

But even as speculation surged that the two cases could be connected, the Harringtons were still waiting for answers. Until now.

Morgan Harrington’s parents weigh in on the Jesse Matthew charges
By Parker Slaybaugh - WRIC
Published: September 16, 2015, 1:07 am Updated: September 16, 2015, 4:52 am

[...]
“We are very relieved that we have the perpetrator, he’s behind bars and justice will have its way,” said Gil Harrington, the mother of Morgan Harrington.

[...]
“I would have loved to have seen, you know she would be 26 now, how she turned out, we’ll never see that. Never see what kind of babies she would have made,” said Harrington.

[...]
“I have thoughts of how could someone hurt Morgan — Morgan was so sweet and nice, how could you snuff her out. Why?” asked Harrington.
‘My daughter was murdered’ mom says after Jesse Matthew Jr. charged in Morgan Harrington’s death
Posted 6:26 pm, September 15, 2015, by Alix Bryan and Laura French, Updated at 08:43am, September 16, 2015
WTVR

[...]
The two charges of first-degree murder and intent to defile, carry a maximum penalty of life in prison.

"This is the verification that my daughter was actually murdered," said her mother Gil Harrington. "This is another step in the marathon we have ahead of us, but it also shows that there are consequences."

"It's hard to be happy, because [ultimately] you know your daughter is murdered," she told CBS 6 reporter Laura French.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back